PDA

View Full Version : COers - How many do this?

Heavenly Locks
August 9th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I am seeing that a lot of CO washers do two conditions. Like, putting on a lighter (suave/VO5) one for the washing portion and then another thicker heavier one from the ears down after the first is rinsed out.

I don't do this? My first one is sufficient...

Is the second conditioner for the dryer hair or am I missing something?

WendyJo
August 9th, 2009, 09:28 PM
When I used to CO I used a heavier conditioner from the ears down simply because my hair is sooo tangly no matter how careful I am. Seriously, I just need to look at my hair and it tangles! LOL!

I am seeing that a lot of CO washers do two conditions. Like, putting on a lighter (suave/VO5) one for the washing portion and then another thicker heavier one from the ears down after the first is rinsed out.

AJoifulNoise
August 9th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I use one, semi-heavy conditioner for my CO. I'd be using sooo much conditioner if I had to do it twice. Besides, one gets the job done just fine for me.

Syaoransbear
August 9th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I just use one heavy conditioner and that's it. I really don't mind if my hair is flat or weighed down!

redcelticcurls
August 9th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I often double dose, but not always. I just go by what my hair feels like. I need to do it in the winter, but not so much in the summer.

My detangler/co washer is lighter, and sometimes I just need something rich or with more emollients.

Peter
August 9th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I don't even use anything from the ears down. Just on the scalp.

ericthegreat
August 9th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Heavenly Locks, as you know I CO only with one conditioner (Suave's Tropical Coconut) as well so you are def not alone! Suave's coconut is more than moisturizing enough for my hair, I don't need a second "heavier" conditioner.

Roseate
August 9th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I do the 2-step thing; I CO with a whole bunch of VO5 and then use just a little of a richer conditioner from the ears down, like AOHR or a conefree Garnier one. My hair is a moisture pig.

GlennaGirl
August 9th, 2009, 09:59 PM
When I used to CO I used a heavier conditioner from the ears down

Me too, or at least more of the same bottle of conditioner I used for CO.

Speckla
August 9th, 2009, 10:00 PM
My hair is very dry. The light condish is for cleansing and the heavier/creamier one is for conditioning/moisturizing.

Naamah
August 9th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I only condition once. Works just fine for me. :)

Marika
August 10th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I CO with two conditioners but I rinse my hair only once. I wet my hair, put a light, cone-free conditioner on scalp and then a heavier conditioner from the ears down. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and rinse it all out. I need to use a heavier conditioner on my length because my hair tangles so easily.

concrescence
August 10th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I only use one conditioner, but it's pretty heavy: Alverde Aloe Hibiscus (labeled for dry hair). I get plenty of slip and moisture from just the first application. I experimented with a couple of lighter conditioners, but they just weren't cleansing enough. Unfortunately, we don't have the wide variety of cheap, cone-free conditioners that you have in The States.

free_hug
August 10th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I double CO sometimes. My scalp is fairly oily, so when i go without washing for more than 3 days i just feel that a second turn is necessary. I actually alternate it with a CWC when i get some extra dirt - like after swimming in a lake/river (not very clean in my country) or spend a few days at some very dusty area.

Also, i have thin/fine hair, so on occasions like this i like to do a protein condish first, and then a moisturizing one. In fact, a get my best good hair days after double COing very dirty hair :o

FallenAngel
August 10th, 2009, 02:46 AM
If you don't need to use a heavier condishioner, don't. :-)

I have fine and not very long hair, I don't use the heaviest stuff at all on my hair, because then it gets too much and looks greasy and flat. I do need a little more than the lightests ones as second application, or else it gets dry. It's a thin line, really. :D

It's your hair, and it tells you what you need. Trust your gut.

ikn
August 10th, 2009, 03:02 AM
It varies whether I do one or two. If I do two that's just in the lengths, I always use the lighter one for cleaning the scalp. But I don't do two every time, that's just too much for my hair.

MoonCreature
August 10th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I do this, I put a light conditioner on the scalp and a heavier one in the ends. Often I put them on the same time, to make my showers at least a bit shorter.
One conditioner would probably be enough, but I like to give my ends a bit of extra moisture.

noelgirl
August 10th, 2009, 06:28 AM
I do two conditioners, but I think it's a YMMV kind of thing, not that one way or the other is wrong. My hair is pretty dry, but if yours isn't I can see how just the CO would suffice.

Addy
August 10th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I use only one conditioner on the scalp and ends.

MandaMom2Three
August 10th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I use the 2 conditioners because I find the thin VO5 doesn't condition enough, but the thicker Suave doesn't wash as well.

Carolyn
August 10th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I use 2. The lighter one (WR or VO5) gets my hair clean but it doesn't condition enough. My hair likes lots of rich heavy conditioning so I do a second heavy conditioning. I could get by once in a while with just my CO conditoner but I'd have to oil and use a leave in and wear my hair up to keep the length from being too dry. It's all a matter of your hair, your climate and lifestyles and your expectations for your hair. If you can get by with one conditioner, then that's what's right for you. If I remember correctly, the original CO method was to use 2 conditioners. We all tweak and change our washing methods and home made hair care recipes.

heatherdazy
August 10th, 2009, 07:53 AM
When I CO, I use my normal conditioner and just do it once. But sometimes I shampoo just my bangs then CO the rest.

ChrissieM
August 10th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I CO with Suave Juicy Green Apple, and it usually works for the entire length of my hair. Sometimes I put another dab of the same conditioner right on the ends if they feel like they need it and condition again after the wash. But putting coconut oil on the length after CO usually does the trick for me...no need for a heavier conditioner.

JamieLeigh
August 10th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I get by just fine with one conditioner, my Suave coconut yumminess, and I use plenty of coconut oil on my ends. :D On clarifying days, I actually do a CWC, (since I found that works better for me than just straight up clarification with shampoo alone) but that's the only time I use conditioner twice during the same shower - and it's still the same kind both times, lol.

Rohele
August 10th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I use 2 conditioners. Suave is good for washing my hair, but not conditioning enough. A heavier conditioner would be too much for my scalp, and lead to greasiness (I've got dry ends and a grease prone scalp).

I use the Suave as shampoo (just on my scalp - I don't bother to coat the length unless I'm washing out a heavy oiling something) and condition the ends separately.

RoseRedDead
August 10th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I use one conditioner (cheap, light, cone- and protein-free Suave or VO5). And then I don't rinse it all out.

That's how I do it!

Occasionally, though, I will add a dab, and I do mean a DAB, of some other, heavier conditioner for a leave-in.

GlassEyes
August 10th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Yep, I do that.

I can get away with two just Suave conditions, I think, but my hair won't be as nice.

Bianca
August 10th, 2009, 01:49 PM
My curly/wurly hair needs all the moisture it can get so I have to use a light CO for my wash and a heavy one for my ends :)

Eden_Rayn
August 10th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I only use Suave's coconut from the ears down the only time I put anything higher than that is when I am clarifying. Once in a blue moon I get a little dry at my ends but oil has cleared that up. I have only used two CO's once and my hair hated it.

Tap Dancer
August 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM

I do the light/heavier conditioner. It works well for me because my hair is thick and dry. If just one light conditioner works for you, you should stick with it.

redcelticcurls
August 10th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I do the light/heavier conditioner. It works well for me because my hair is thick and dry. If just one light conditioner works for you, you should stick with it.

True. Do what works. :)

Teacherbear
August 10th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I CO once every 3rd or 4th wash. When I do I put on the cheapy conditioner, work it in, leave it on while I do my other showerly business, then rinse it all out. I then put on my leave in conditioner, like I always do.

I would say 1 conditioner in the shower is sufficient for my hair. But then my hair doesn't like heavy conditioners.

Elphie
August 10th, 2009, 08:08 PM
One conditioner: just my Suave Coconut or Cherry Blossom. Just once is enough for me. Anything more and my hair gets weighed down.

Bereft
August 10th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I use a light conditioner on my scalp (whatever I have lying around) and a heavier conditioner, like AO's GBP or HSR on the length.

Jinx2234
August 10th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I usually just use one conditioner for CO. I tried using a second, heavier conditioner a couple of times, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference, so I stopped doing it.

prettigurl
August 10th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I only use 2 conditioners when my hair has a lot of buildup. Usually the one is just fine.

heynormy
August 10th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I personally don't, but I do have a theory!
I believe that the first conditioner acts like a shampoo while the second conditioner acts like..well a conditioner!
Or maybe it has to do with the dryness of an individual's hair!

oneKnight
August 11th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Well, you're "supposed to" let the conditioner set on your head a while to clean, but I rinse it out just like I was a normal person doing an everyday condition.

I only do two conditions if I'm having really dirty hair but still don't feel the need to poo.

Cinnamon Hair
August 12th, 2009, 07:28 PM
If one conditioner works for your scalp and length then consider yourself lucky!

I use a cheapy runny/watery conditioner on my scalp (I like White Rain or V05) and a good heavy conditioner that moisturizes and helps detangle my length (confree favs are Biolage Conditioning Balm and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, coney fav is L'Oreal Mega Moisture from Sally's Beauty Supply). I put them both on at the same time then place my hair into a shower cap until the end of my shower when I rinse and detangle the length.

For me, the scalp conditioner has to be cheap because I use a lot of it. It also needs to be cone free and watery/runny so it spreads well and is easy to rinse completely. I have difference needs for my length conditioner, and the two never seem to mix. I've tried using my scalp conditioner on the length and it just isn't good for detangling or keeping my hair shiny and moisturzed and my ends feeling soft. Obviously, the length conditioner is too heavy for my scalp, doesn't rinse good, and leaves me feeling greasy...plus I have to use a lot of it on my scalp which gets expensive.