PDA

View Full Version : Hairtype me post henna, please

Ninika
April 14th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I hennaed my hair in February and as a result, my hair seems to have become straighter. I used to classify my hair as 2b/2c, the latter because of my spirally ends, which have become a lot weaker, I think. Do I need to re-classify?

These pictures were made today, they show my hair freshly washed and airdried without any products or touching (hence the lovely frizzy texture :D).

http://www.ruso.at/zeugs/april.jpg

http://www.ruso.at/zeugs/april2.jpg

My former classification was based on these pics from 2005:

http://www.ruso.at/zeugs/natural.jpghttp://www.ruso.at/zeugs/natural2.jpg

What do you think? 2a? 2b? is there still a c somewhere? Your input is greatly appreciated!

Flaxen
April 15th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Lovely hair! The spirals do make it tricky, don't they? I had this problem with my type, too, because I used to get several spirals (not so much any more :( ). Anyway, Fia said that 2c spirals should be from the scalp all the way down and not just the occasional end spiral, so I'd say you are more of a 2b now.

Euphony
April 15th, 2008, 01:37 PM
OOOOOOOOOO pretty! My hair's wave has relaxed as well since using henna. I get anywhere from 2a to 2c, so I classify mine as 2b to avoid confusion (yeah right :rolleyes:).

Flaxen that is so nice to know, I thought if there were spirals at all even at the end it was classified as 2c, now it feels more truthful for me with the 2b :grin:

spidermom
April 15th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Fia also said that hair type doesn't change, although appearance can.

What made her the authority?

Sillage
April 15th, 2008, 02:04 PM
LOL Spidermom, you are always shooting from the hip! Personally Ninika, I would guess that you are a 2b, but I'm not good at hair typing.

Euphony
April 15th, 2008, 02:14 PM

Oh man, there is just no end to my confusion on my hair type now is there :p

Jason
April 15th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I would say your hair looks 2a now. Its current wave pattern reminds me of my own.

In any case, before and after, your hair is without question gorgeous!

Flaxen
April 15th, 2008, 03:00 PM

What made her the authority?
It's her classification system. :lol:

spidermom
April 15th, 2008, 03:29 PM
It's her classification system. :lol:

Originally I thought that she was in the hair-care field as a stylist or something but later found out she wasn't. So I wonder why/how this classification system originated and, more importantly, came to be the standard we hang our flags from.

lapushka
April 15th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Is it really the henna? In that 2005 picture you had much shorter hair, so less gravity to pull at those waves... the longer it gets, the more it will straighten out.

zift
April 15th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Henna made my hair much straighter too but I don't think you should change your texture because it'S the natural one that grows from your head. Hair will look less or more wavy with products as well but you don't change your type for that so...although it looks 2a in the newer pics I say keep the 2b/2c;)

Flaxen
April 15th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Originally I thought that she was in the hair-care field as a stylist or something but later found out she wasn't. So I wonder why/how this classification system originated and, more importantly, came to be the standard we hang our flags from.
You'd have to ask her, of course, but when hair boards were just starting out, I suppose she thought it would be a neat (as in orderly, not cool) way of describing our hair and also a way for people with similar hair to talk products and techniques. She was the first to do it, it's a good system, imho, and it stuck. :grin:

Ninika
April 16th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Thank you for your help!

So my 2c classification seems to have been wrong in any case, thanks for that info, Flaxen!

Most of you guys think my hair still qualifies as 2b, so I think I will stick with that.

lapushka, my hair is super-fine and weighs about as much as a spiderweb ;), the waves have not really changed between waist and TB, they really became noticeably straighter right after the henna.

iris
April 16th, 2008, 01:08 PM
You'd have to ask her, of course, but when hair boards were just starting out, I suppose she thought it would be a neat (as in orderly, not cool) way of describing our hair and also a way for people with similar hair to talk products and techniques. She was the first to do it, it's a good system, imho, and it stuck. :grin:
IIRC she was working from someone else's system, made up by a hair stylist, a guy I think, whose name starts with an A? (Wow all this information my brain is throwing at me, where does it come from and why did I remember it and is it even correct?) That original system had a big weakness, which was that it didn't distinguish between 'fine/thick' hair in the sense of ponytail circumference, i.e. amount of hair, and 'fine/thick' in the sense of thickness of the individual strands of hair. So she added that distinction to it.

Spidermom, I don't really understand why people want to fit into a category but if it makes them happy :shrug:

Iris

Ninika
April 16th, 2008, 01:10 PM
IIRC she was working from someone else's system, made up by a hair stylist, a guy I think, whose name starts with an A? (Wow all this information my brain is throwing at me, where does it come from and why did I remember it and is it even correct?) That original system had a big weakness, which was that it didn't distinguish between 'fine/thick' hair in the sense of ponytail circumference, i.e. amount of hair, and 'fine/thick' in the sense of thickness of the individual strands of hair. So she added that distinction to it.

Spidermom, I don't really understand why people want to fit into a category but if it makes them happy :shrug:

Iris

The guy's name was Andre.

iris
April 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM
With an A! Yes! :D Thank you!

Ninika
April 16th, 2008, 01:21 PM
You are very welcome! I had just come across his name while looking for Fia's visual hairtyping guide on google ;).