PDA

View Full Version : Swim styles?

Qamar
August 9th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I swim daily and put my just about tailbone length hair up to swim. No matter what I try though, I end up with horrid tangles. Two braids=dreads. Cinnabun=tangles. Beebutt=hard to get out and tangled...you get the idea.

I would LOVE some suggestions aside from swimcaps, since I can't find a cap to hold my hair. Down is obviously not a good choice and it gets stuck under my arms and impedes my stroke.

Yes, I do rinse it after each swim with plain water, and then oil the ends before detangling gently, but I want to find a style that keeps it contained during 30-50 laps a day yet doesn't cause tangling so I can protect my poor ends. Thanks for your suggestions!

Heidi_234
August 9th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Despite your request I will suggest a swim cap (http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Silicone-Long-Hair-Swim/dp/B000FGZSNI) - It has plenty of room for my hip length that I put in a bun. It should not slide of you head. Aside for tangling, chlorine is rather harsh on your hair, so a swim cap is twice as good.

ikn
August 9th, 2009, 02:31 PM
My hair is significantly shorter than yours (BSL actually and in layers) but I do remember having the same issues when I was swimming or teaching every day.

Most of the time I would have my hair in a high ponytail English braid or a high ponytail folded with the ends on the "inside" of the head. I would imagine that the caterpillar hairstyle would work quite well too.

These are my suggestions but I still feel compelled to point out that your hair will take a serious beating from a lot of swimming. I find that realising the hairdo under the shower helps, as in you start washing out the chlorine before you start releasing the braid and the flowing water kind of helps to detangle as you go along.

I hope you find something that works for you, and will be interested to hear what since I plan on taking up swimming more vigorously again when I return to uni this fall.

CherrySilver
August 9th, 2009, 02:52 PM
What's worked for me is to wear my hair tightly coiled into a bun squarely on the top of my head secured by a chopstick or two. It may look dorky, but it's been totally indestructible, is less stressful on my hairline (no weight pulling it back) and I've never had a problem with tangles.

Best way to do it is to bend over at the waist, gather all your hair together at the top and coil till it's long enough to handle, stand up and tightly coil into a bun on the top of your head, tucking ends under. Secure with a chopstick with enough torque to stay in tightly, but not hurt. Practice makes perfect on this one -- I've never lost a chopstick in the water!

This I learned this thru trial and error: first went with the braids, then the bun at the back of my head -- same problems as you. My hair is now about an inch or two past classic and tangles are an issue only *if* I let them. I'm learning that you have to be soooo much more careful with breakage at this length, otherwise you're going to have a lot of thinning at the ends.

Also, chlorine will totally destroy your hair -- I almost chopped off 6+ inches a few years ago after bi-weekly laps at the gym. A light coating of oil may help, but it may not be great for the filter. I love swimming and don't want to give it up. Now I'm doing 20+ laps several times a week, but modified my stroke to avoid putting my head under water. Great for my back, my hair is fine, but I *do* miss putting my head under the water -- however, I don't want to deal with the alternative.

At longer lengths (and shorter lengths, too), pool water is absolutely horrible for your hair. Even with a coating of oil or conditioner, your hair isn't going to like it (unless you've got a hermetic seal on your swimming cap). Make sure to do a thorough rinsing and deep-condition on a regular basis. Also, watch those ends and make sure you clarify (ACV rinse) to get rid of any chemical residuals on your hair.

Best of luck and happy swimming!

teela1978
August 9th, 2009, 06:55 PM
cinnabun, held with a hairtie, wet down with tap water before swimming, swimcap on top (I prefer latex ones). I have to shampoo and condition afterwards. Are you just rinsing after? Can you maybe try a conditioner wash? One with EDTA or citric acid would probably be best, both to remove chlorine and to make the cuticle lie flat (thus helping with tangles).

Addy
August 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I'm finally bsl and find that a plain old english braid keeps my hair from tangling. A french braid is just asking for it though.

Carrie Ingalls
August 9th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I have gone through a number of different styles for swimming.

I have used one braid, tried pining it into a 'braidhawk' I also tried hair taping it in place hawk style. Finally the fastest and easiest was to just put it in one braid and the fold it up and put it under my swim cap hawk style without pins or ribbon. The key is to not make the braid too tight at the begining (so you can fold it more easily) and don't make the braid right at the base/nape of your neck or you will have trouble getting a swim cap over it.

A word on swim caps: I have not been happy with latex or silicone caps, I could not put them on by myself and then the were too tight and they seemed to be causing damage. I have really liked my spandex swim cap. You also might want to try wearing a buff under a swim cap (spandex or otherwise.), I have done this and it seems to reduce some of the friction.

I do oil my hair when I swim (but then it is also under a cap) and wet it before I swim in a pool.

I tried to swim with my hair in a bun once...never again, it was too much weight/pull when I would breath in the freestyle.

Qamar
August 9th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Carrie--what is a buff?

I'm actually partial to this (http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=10106&CartID=1)style of swim cap--adorable though I'm not sure it would fit.

ericthegreat
August 9th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I am an avid swimmer. This summer I've been going to the ocean and to the pool almost daily. What I'll do is first of course wet my hair down with fresh water and then completely coat it with conditioner to form a protective barrier. Then, I'll do a combination of a segmented ponytail and a braid. First I will tie my wet, conditioner coated hair back in a tight, low ponytail. then I will braid down just 3 inches, and then I will secure it with another hair elastic. Then I will repeat the process and braid down another 3 inches or so(you don't have to be precise, but you get the idea) and then secure it with yet another hair elastic. This segmented braid has never failed on me even after doing some sick free styles and butterflies in the Atlantic.

I also have and use the super stretchy Speedo swim cap when I am swimming in the pool(you are required to wear a swim cap there for sanitary reasons), now I know you said you don't like swim caps, but I agree with Heidi, a swim cap really is the best way to contain all of your hair so it doesn't get in the way(and it also cuts down on drag). Seriously, why don't you give the extra large swim cap another try, if I can fit my butt length hair in it( I wet my hair down and then twist it into a chignon before slipping the cap on ) I'm sure you can at least try to fit your hair in the cap as well.

Qamar
August 9th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Great suggestions everyone. Thank you!

I'm not opposed to swim caps, its more trying to find one that will accommodate my hair. I ordered that flowery one and another silicone cap that I plan on cutting the crown off so it will act as a gasket under the flowery one and hopefully keep more chlorine water off my hair. The segmented pony/braid sounds pretty promising. I'll have to give that a try on Tuesday when I swim next. (Mondays are dance night and I don't get home before the pool closes, so no swimming then).

PhillyGirl1978@
August 10th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Well....with my hair being heavy when it's dry it is even worse when wet. Usually I just try to saturate it before the pool to lesses the amount of chlorine it can suck up, then rinse and condition afterwards. Maybe wet it and then braid it....that might help.

Qamar
August 12th, 2009, 12:22 AM
That segmented braid works really well to prevent tangles. Its actually the best style thus far!

I'm awaiting the arrival of my swim caps and meanwhile just deep conditioned the bejeebers out of my hair after tonight's swim. It definitely appreciated it. I'll keep you posted on the swim cap saga. I ordered three different ones to try.

ericthegreat
August 12th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I'm so glad that it also works for you Qamar! Like I said, this simple style has never failed for me and I do some extreme free styles in the Atlantic Ocean! Even with wave heights over 5ft, I have never even lost a single hair elastic let alone have the braid get undone of course.

Oh and of course if you haven't already do make sure you do a coconut oiling at least once a week. Constant water exposure is obviously very trying on your hair, so make sure you keep up with regular oilings and also do a deep treatment once every week as well. Actually what I do is mix in olive oil into my deep conditioning treatments, and my hair has always come out silky and shiny even after spending 2 to 3 hours in the ocean or the pool almost daily.

Shadow
August 12th, 2009, 01:48 AM
A word on swim caps: I have not been happy with latex or silicone caps, I could not put them on by myself and then the were too tight and they seemed to be causing damage. I have really liked my spandex swim cap. You also might want to try wearing a buff under a swim cap (spandex or otherwise.), I have done this and it seems to reduce some of the friction.

I second this - fabric caps work much better for longer hair (I've found that the latex/silicone one's always seem to manage to pull a few hairs out when I take them off after a swim)

prettigurl
August 12th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Maybe you could try a braided bun. Put it in a single braid and twist it around and tie it with an elastic band or scrunchie

Jezzie
August 12th, 2009, 02:09 AM
My hair is just short of BSL so this might not work for you but I thoroghly oil my hair then I do 2 braids, one on each side of my head and then I wrap the braids around my head in a circle then pin or tuck in place. I got my inspiration for this from doing a Chinese bun (I think it's called that) because my hair was too short for that I adapted it. I agree with the cap idea. Coming from a swim teacher whose hair is very damaged from getting it wet the less water to touch your hair the better. I can't wait to get to just past waist so I can chop off a few inches of damage that's culminated over the years.

Cinnamon Hair
August 12th, 2009, 07:05 PM
For swimming I like to wet my hair first, then squeeze the excess water out of it and comb thru any tangles. Then I make a ponytail using a ponytail material covered no metal elastic. Then I braid the length and tie it off with another ponytail elastic. Then I have some really strong claw clips I got at JCPenney that have 2 teeth on each side and are about medium width but with really tough plastic and a strong spring. I wrap the braid into a cinnamon bun and use 2 or 3 claw clips around the edges to hold it. That will stay snug for me in the ocean being hit with huge waves. If I get in and out of the water, then sometimes I will rearrange the claw clips and squeeze my bun to get the excess water out.

Medievalmaniac
August 13th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Another way to minimize the damage is to reserve your regular weekly washes for post-swimming. Since you are going to be rinsing and conditioning anyway, it makes sense to wash then as well, which then cuts down on the overall number of washes per week.

I wash my hair three times a week, and most weeks this means either 2 or 3 times after a swim. For swimming, I rinse, apply leave-in conditioner, and then coil it under a swim cap. After swimming, I use a clarifying shampoo, then slather it with conditioner and rinse, then cool rinse. On weeks when I don't swim, my regular shampoo is the L'Oreal sulfate-free. I have noticed a major shift in the overall condition of my hair with this routine, despite the swimming and chemical dying, so it seems to be working!! :o)

Hope that helps.

Jezzie
August 13th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Another way to minimize the damage is to reserve your regular weekly washes for post-swimming. Since you are going to be rinsing and conditioning anyway, it makes sense to wash then as well, which then cuts down on the overall number of washes per week.

I wash my hair three times a week, and most weeks this means either 2 or 3 times after a swim. For swimming, I rinse, apply leave-in conditioner, and then coil it under a swim cap. After swimming, I use a clarifying shampoo, then slather it with conditioner and rinse, then cool rinse. On weeks when I don't swim, my regular shampoo is the L'Oreal sulfate-free. I have noticed a major shift in the overall condition of my hair with this routine, despite the swimming and chemical dying, so it seems to be working!! :o)

Hope that helps.

I do this to! I've even changed my work schedule so I can cluster my days that I'm in water. I'm in water thurs-sat so those are the only days I wash. The rest of the time I leave my hair be unless it's particularly yuck. I've found my hair loves me if I smother it in coconut oil both the night before and then again in the morning before I braid it for the pool, it comes out ultra soft then.

Carrie Ingalls
August 13th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Carrie--what is a buff?

I'm sorry I should have explained, a Buff is multifunctional head wear they can be found at www.buffwear.com (http://www.buffwear.com/)

klcqtee
August 13th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I immediately thought that you should try doing Torrinpaige's faux crown braid. I forget what she calls it, sorry, but it is on her youtube paige. I think that, then you would be able to put a swim cap over that, even at tailbone, perhaps. I think that if you didn't put the swim cap on, you'd definitely end up with dreads...

Good luck!

Qamar
August 16th, 2009, 12:55 AM
I posted a photo of my new vintage style swimcap in my album. :)

As you can see, it holds all my hair, has room to spare and is rather fun to wear. I did take a silicone cap and cut off the crown to wear as a band underneath to try and keep more water out, but despite that (the cap is snug enough that I get red lines imprinted into my forehead from the edge) it still leaks a fair amount of water. I guess I'll have to saturate with tap water, oil and then braid it to try and protect it under the cap.

hairymonster
August 16th, 2009, 01:38 AM
I don't like silicone caps, so I stick to using a fabric cap. Normally I saturate my hair with tap water, squeeze out the water and completely coat my hair with conditioner. I then gather my hair right at the top of my head and do a stickless bun on it, then fit the cap on top. I don't like using hair ties on wet hair so the stickless bun will slowly slip downwards during the swim to rest on my nape, but the swimcap prevents it from being undone. It worked with my beyond-knee-length hair then and works fine now too.

After the swim, I just remove the cap, shake out the bun and rinse the conditioner off. Never had any tangle problems with that method. Despite all the precautions, I still feel that the pool water has a slight drying effect on my hair although nothing that can't be repaired with some TLC. I swim at the pool and not very rigorously so there's that to consider too.

Erin-86
August 16th, 2009, 03:28 AM
When I swim, I put my hair up in a ponytail, than braid it, and than wrap it around as tight as I can, and hold it with a hairfriendly elastic. This holds like a rock. I never ever have tangles. After swimming I wait untill it's half dry before putting it down again.

But still, after reading this topic I am considering of wearing a swimcap, because it is not only the tangling after swimming (which I don't have anyway) but on the long term, al the chlorine in the water can't be very good for your hair.

Elvi
September 17th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Oamar, you might also try protective treatment on your hair BEFORE you get into the water. I also love swimming but get frizziness and dryness in my hair. (The water in our local swimming hall is purified with ozone, no smell of chlorine). So last time before I went swimming I oiled my hair - that was just just olive oil - and I think that helped. I usually simply braid my hair for swimming, but my hair is shorter than yours.

Next time I will try cocoa butter to see if it is even better. Someone else certainly knows more about this type of protection. I am curious to know more, too.

teela1978
September 17th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Have you tried swimming in the ocean? I don't find that the salt is as damaging/drying as chlorine, so I don't bother with a swim cap, just put it in a bun, secure with a hairtie and go. From la jolla cove to the closest yellow buoy is about 0.25 miles, round trip is probably a little less than you usually do in the pool (but ocean swimming is a little tougher). And the water is still not too bad. High 60s, sometimes even right at 70 :)

bigevilgrape
September 17th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Remember that if you do any kind of conditioning/oiling before you get into the pool you should wear a latex or silicone cap. Its really not good for the pools filter, and really unpleasant for the others in the pool if you leave it down or use a lycra cap.

I'm an ex-lifeguard who has had to deal with more then her fair share of filter problems.

Elvi
September 17th, 2009, 04:55 PM
bigevilgrape: What I do is that I massage at home a spoonful of oil into my fairly long hair. When I go to the swimming hall, I am required to take a full body shower and wash myself before stepping to the public pool. So I am certain that I make no oil risk to the pool filters. :shrug:

bigevilgrape
September 17th, 2009, 07:35 PM
As long as you aren't leaving an oil slick behind you're probably good to go :)

My other pet peeve is people who don't shower well enough before and their perfume smell gets all in everything.

Oh... and cotton tee shirts, those really make a mess of things.

Qamar
September 17th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Have you tried swimming in the ocean? I don't find that the salt is as damaging/drying as chlorine, so I don't bother with a swim cap, just put it in a bun, secure with a hairtie and go. From la jolla cove to the closest yellow buoy is about 0.25 miles, round trip is probably a little less than you usually do in the pool (but ocean swimming is a little tougher). And the water is still not too bad. High 60s, sometimes even right at 70 :)

I prefer the ocean always to a pool, but since I live in El Cajon, the pool is more convenient on a daily basis. I'll have to try some laps at La Jolla cove when we are there next though. Thanks for the information!:cheese:

Flynn
September 18th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Hey, have you tried that CinnamonCurls vortex bun as a style that might fit under a cap? (Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread.) It should be done very flat to your head, so, really, you'd think it should work...

Elvi
September 18th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Problem solved for my swimming today: I applied cocoa butter in my hair before I went swimming and washed the hair with conditioner only after swimming. I got no frizziness and no tangles, and the hair felt soft and smooth. But in this hall the pool water was not chlorinated - maybe an even stronger protection is needed with chlorinated water.