PDA

View Full Version : Conditioner only washing= more acne?

Charentais
August 9th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Ack!

I can typically keep my facial acne under control with benzoyl peroxide. But since I've started conditioner washing, with a once-weekly sudsy shampoo, my acne has been worse. My hair looks great. My skin? Not so much.

Anyone else notice this?

I'm adding salicylic acid lotions to my routine now.

Charentais
August 9th, 2009, 08:57 AM
(oh, and the salicylic acid lotion is for my skin, not my hair!)

Heidi_234
August 9th, 2009, 09:00 AM
The only thing I can think of is your hair leaving residue on the pillowcase at night, this might contribute to the acne. Did you tried to switch to another conditioner? Maybe your skin reacts badly to that particular conditioner, not the washing method.

pradabacon
August 9th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Have you changed anything else about your routine? I've noticed a couple more spots than usual since I started CO, but I also started using coconut oil at around the same time, so I don't know which (if either) is responsible. Coconut oil is apparently comedogenic. Check the ingredients in your conditioner, too. Maybe there is something in it that will strike you as being the possible culprit. You might try a different kind.

Charentais
August 9th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks!

I'll wash the pillowcase more often, and switch the conditioners around a bit and observe the changes.

pradabacon
August 9th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Good luck! I hate those darn things! I hoped I would quit breaking out once I was in my 30s, but no such luck. :p

silencepainter
August 9th, 2009, 09:12 AM
The one bit of advice I can offer is to make sure you wash your face AFTER you've rinsed your hair. I know I've made the mistake of doing it before, and that was when I had acne problems.

If you're already doing this then I have no clue. :)

Cheros
August 9th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I think these guys have hit the nail on the head. Until/if you find the specific ingredient(s) that are causing it, then washing your face and pillowcases is definitely the way forward.

Maybe the conditioner is building up on your face, and leaving a thin layer of waxy substance behind, i'm sure that would cause some problems.

GoddesJourney
August 9th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I know how you feel. I have very oily hair and not washing it every day gives me acne. Usually I only get acne right before menstruating so it's really frustrating to have it at any other time. I switched to sulfate free shampoo a few days ago so I can feel good about washing and avoid the acne thing. I find that my hair is a little less oily (probably because my shampoo is no long drying out my scalp and causing it to overproduce) so my acne is going away. I disagree with the pillowcase thing. If I miss a day of washing, I get acne. If I wash the next two days and not change my pillowcase, it goes away. Oily hair can cause acne. I had a friend in high school who had to keep her hair up all the time because it would give her acne on her back and chest. Poor thing.

WhitsEnd
August 9th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I do not know about acne on the face but when I condition the length of my hair I cannot let it go down my back. My skin is pretty oily and if I do not condition with my hair over my shoulder, my back breaks out. I think mine just has to do with the extra oil and clogged pores.

concrescence
August 9th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I have problem skin, but haven't noticed an increase in acne since switching to CO a few months ago.

My suggestions:

1) perhaps you're sensitive to something in the conditioner. try another brand.
2) apply the conditioner and rinse it out with your head tilted back, so that it doesn't run onto your face
3) wash your face last (after CO and rinsing and such)
4) if you have bangs/a fringe, perhaps wash only them with shampoo a couple of times a week, especially if you're breaking out on your forehead
5) consider other things that could be causing it: stress, high temps and increased sweat, your menstrual cycle, any new habits that are causing you to touch your face, etc. Some months I just break out worse than others. I wouldn't want you to stop COing (especially if you think it's working for your hair) unless it really *is* the culprit.

rogue_psyche
August 9th, 2009, 01:06 PM
CO washing hasn't given my an increase in acne, but I've only been doing it for a short amount of time. I have, however, had a conditioner that just made me break out. It was before LHC so I just wouldn't condition every wash. :rolleyes:

ikn
August 9th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Ooh I just realised that my hair might be part of the reason for breakouts on my upper back/shoulders. But thick not to realise before I suppose... But then again I usually wear t-shirts or similar, ie no exposed skin on those areas... Except while showering and just after... :confused:

I have only just started CO though so i have no idea how this in influencing me yet.

prittykitty
August 9th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I have the same problem. I don't have acne all that bad but my face and scalp get very oily. I also tried the CO and it didn't work for me because my scalp just did not feel clean. Not everyone can condition wash only. I just shampoo my hair everyday and use a cone free conditioner and a cone free leave in conditioner. This seems to work great.

Arashi
August 9th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I've recently started CO washing again after a long period of only washing shorter hair with SLS free shampoo, and I've had no problem whatsoever. On the other hand, the last time I CO washed regularly, I remember getting more acne when I used any sort of product with cones.
Just as a bit of advice, when I applied some of the concepts I got from LCH for my hair, to my skin.. that is, no SLS or cones, my once moderate acne cleared up beautifully.

Lady Mary
August 9th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I haven't noticed an acne increase since moving to CO washing, only been doing it for a few weeks now though. We'll see how it goes.

ReneeIstKrieg
August 9th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I've been having this problem too and it's true that I have been washing my face before I rinse out the conditioner. I didn't even consider that to be a problem so thanks silencepainter

merseaone
August 9th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I go through periods of time where I wash my hair with conditioner. I haven't the problem with acne from it though I have Rosacae.

Addy
August 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I have been a CO'er for nearly a year and have had no problems with acne on my face, chest or back. I switch between a few conditioners too.

Hope you find a solution. Acne sux.

pradabacon
August 9th, 2009, 06:26 PM
In my case, I'm thinking it's probably the parabens in the conditioner I've been trying out...none of my others have given me any issues and this is only one that has those in it. I just went and compared all the ingredients in everything. I didn't even realize they were in there since it's the same brand as some other conditioners I like that are just fine. Back to good ol' White Rain Tropical Coconut for me!

Charentais
August 10th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Thank you for all of your replies!