PDA

View Full Version : Starting a gelatin regimen

jera
August 9th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I bought a box of unflavored gelatin yesterday to take for my hair ( and nails ). It's sitting on top of the microwave looking lonely and perplexed as I examine it from all angles removing the packets one by one and wondering... how do you take gelatin for hair strengthening? What do you mix it with? :rolleyes:

I know there are many gelatin enthusiasts out there, so please help us gelatin newbies. This is so emabarassing. :o

Coriander
August 9th, 2009, 01:07 AM
:laugh: I love your description of the poor, unloved gelatin.

I think some people mix it in with hot liquids and quaff it immediately so it doesn't congeal.

I take caplets. I have a bad habit of making teas/ciders and leaving the mugs out for hours, forgetting about it. :o

Pierre
August 9th, 2009, 03:50 AM
A few days ago I made stock from chicken and duck bones. I use it to cook rice or potatoes (only half the water for rice can be stock, as the rice has to be soaked overnight in water). Then I let it cool and mix it with an assortment of vegetables, avocados, and tomatoes.

prittykitty
August 9th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Drink the flavored ones. I am sure they do the same thing.

SimplyLonghair
August 9th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I tried the gelatin other ways, but for me I prefer the capsules. I can use it in things but I have a hard time just drinking it. :D

It does work, but for me I have to take it with stuff. Not on an empty stomach.

redneckprincess
August 9th, 2009, 06:14 AM
I take it as a pill

shadowclaw
August 9th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I'm starting gelatin, too! :cheese:I bought pills, though. They were $3 for a bottle of 100 at Walmart, although I still have to figure out how many pills are equal to one packet of gelatin. I think the pills will end up being cheaper, and more friendly to take.

However, when I inquired about the difference between Jell-o and gelatin (which is basically just added flavorings), the most common way people suggested taking it was to mix it into a glass of water or a cup of tea. Either way, if you want it to be liquid, your water must be warm. Gelatin starts to set right away in cold water, although I've only ever mixed it with 1/2 cup of water for making rolled fondat. Perhaps it won't turn into a smelly gel if there is more water.

That's one reason I don't want to use packets. When I use it for fondant, it smells really strange, like something that shouldn't be edible. Perhaps like glue or another adhseive. It also turns into gel right away with the cold water, and I end up wondering if bone marrow looks like that. Then again, I shouldn't be thinking of bone marrow, because most gelatin on the market apparently comes from pig skin.

I'd much rather take a pill than think about eating bone marrow or pig skin.

RancheroTheBee
August 9th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I take the caps, just because I can't drink anything fast enough to make sure it doesn't congeal and get all gross.

DragonLady
August 9th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Here's my blog post about it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=45329

jera
August 9th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I'm starting gelatin, too! :cheese:I bought pills, though. They were $3 for a bottle of 100 at Walmart, although I still have to figure out how many pills are equal to one packet of gelatin. I think the pills will end up being cheaper, and more friendly to take.

However, when I inquired about the difference between Jell-o and gelatin (which is basically just added flavorings), the most common way people suggested taking it was to mix it into a glass of water or a cup of tea. Either way, if you want it to be liquid, your water must be warm. Gelatin starts to set right away in cold water, although I've only ever mixed it with 1/2 cup of water for making rolled fondat. Perhaps it won't turn into a smelly gel if there is more water.

That's one reason I don't want to use packets. When I use it for fondant, it smells really strange, like something that shouldn't be edible. Perhaps like glue or another adhseive. It also turns into gel right away with the cold water, and I end up wondering if bone marrow looks like that. Then again, I shouldn't be thinking of bone marrow, because most gelatin on the market apparently comes from pig skin.

I'd much rather take a pill than think about eating bone marrow or pig skin.

Thanks for the suggestion. It is pretty disgusting. :) Actually, I poured a teaspoon of it into a tumbler, added lukewarm water, and downed it all at once like Sylvester Stallone drank the raw egg drink in Rocky. :D

Ew. I can do most anything though, if long healthy hair is the result.

heatherdazy
August 9th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Can those of use who enjoy normal jello just eat that or do you have to drink it while it's liquid?

punky
August 9th, 2009, 07:33 PM
That too was my question. Why not just eat regular JELLO. Looks like it would work the same.:) I'm going to give it a try.

Fairlight63
August 9th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Those of you that take pills how many do you take & how strong is it?
I take 8 a day - 2 with each meal & 2 before bed. Each tab. has 10 grain in them.

I have been taking them for about a month. I haven't noticed any difference in nails or hair. The one thing that I did notice almost immediately is a pain that I was having in my left hip went away. It was really bad when I would lay down at night, I would have to get up and take an Aleeve for the pain, but since taking the gelatin the pain is all gone. I will keep taking it just so that I won't have the hip pain.

Spring
August 9th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I take gelatin tablets, but now since I've found out that there's gelatin in my joint vitamins (chrondroitan, msm, gloucosimine)[sp], I don't take the individual gelatin tablets. I also make a fruit smoothie in the morning and put about a tablespoon of strawberry jello gelatin powder in it.

shadowclaw
August 9th, 2009, 09:25 PM
That too was my question. Why not just eat regular JELLO. Looks like it would work the same.:) I'm going to give it a try.

A packet of Jell-o turns into a reasonable amount of food once it's mixed and set. I believe it makes a little more than 2 cups. If you make it into jigglers (yum! :D), it makes a bit less, since you use less water. So if you want to have a yummy snack or dessert, and you have room to fit it, then I don't see a problem. Also, you could add Jell-O to a smoothie or other drink and have a pleasant fruity beverage, or even drink the liquid Jell-o straight. It tastes good to me.

A packet of Jell-o isn't pure gelatin, though. I'm not sure how much gelatin is in a packet, but I'd say you'd probably need at least two packets of Jell-o to equal a packet of gelatin.

shadowclaw
August 9th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. It is pretty disgusting. :) Actually, I poured a teaspoon of it into a tumbler, added lukewarm water, and downed it all at once like Sylvester Stallone drank the raw egg drink in Rocky. :D

Now all you need to do is run up the stairs in front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and then jump up and down! :)

And then go in, of course. It is my favorite museum, and I can spend hours in the Medieval or Renaissance sections alone.

heatherdazy
August 9th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I take gelatin tablets, but now since I've found out that there's gelatin in my joint vitamins (chrondroitan, msm, gloucosimine)[sp], I don't take the individual gelatin tablets. I also make a fruit smoothie in the morning and put about a tablespoon of strawberry jello gelatin powder in it.
I used to work at a coffee shop back during the low carb carze and we had a 'cherry cheesecake shake' that had cream cheese, half and half, splenda, ice and sugar free jello powder topped with whipped cream.

It was very popular.

Syaoransbear
August 9th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I just started taking gelatin capsules but I'm not exactly sure how much to take. I'm experimenting at 1000mg per day right now.

Spring
August 9th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Heatherdazy that sounds yummy!! Now I'm hungry (it's 12:15am)....