PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up layers

wahmof9
August 8th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I have some layers I am trying to grow out. I need to freshen them up as the ends look a tad dry.

Last time I cut them (I refuse to go to a hair dresser) I just would take a strand then I would dust the tip....

THERE HAS to be an easier way to freshen up layers.

So LHCers any ideas?

pradabacon
August 8th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Please don't do this, since I know nothing about it...but I wonder what would happen if you flipped your head over so your hair was hanging upside down and then trimmed straight across. I guess it would depend on the length and type of layering you've got (and probably a bunch of other things I'm not taking into account), but I'm curious if that could work.

I've got layers myself and I haven't decided yet whether I want to keep them...and there's no way I'm setting foot in a salon around here ever again either!

spidermom
August 8th, 2009, 09:42 PM
What I would do (and have done) is bend toward the floor, comb all my hair smoothly into a top-of-head ponytail, then slide-the pony-holder toward the floor, which makes the ends splay out. Then very very lightly dust them.

pradabacon
August 8th, 2009, 09:44 PM
The last time I had my layers freshened up, I noticed that when I put my hair in a high ponytail, all the layers were even and it looked like a straight across cut at the ends. Good idea, Spidermom.

rogue_psyche
August 9th, 2009, 12:13 AM
This article might be helpful (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=146). I haven't tried this technique yet but it looks like it would work.

wahmof9
August 9th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Interesting thank you ladies!

I hate these stinking layers!

Heidi_234
August 9th, 2009, 12:35 AM
At your own risk - I second the higher ponytail idea. It's like doing Feye's self trim but starting with a higher ponytail so the bottom layers would have longer distance to travel. Just don't do it too high, or it with result in reverse layering (methinks). Find the point where you do a ponytail high enough for most of your hair to be the same length. I'd think that to make it easier, you should use one tie to do the ponytail, and then use another tie to slide dwn the hair and trim.

Periwinkle
August 9th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I've heard the ponytail method for layers, but I've also heard some bad things about it. If it were me, I'd secure the longest part of my hair before cutting - that way, you won't accidentally chop off your longest 3" or something!

silencepainter
August 9th, 2009, 11:30 AM
When my hair was layered I only had the one layer that was shorter than the rest of my hair. I trimmed it a bit by gathering that top layer of hair and trimming just that the same way I trim my full length... just with less hair in the pony tail. The method I use is Feye's self trim (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim)

It seemed to work just fine. It might not work as well if you have more complicated layers.

TokyoPink
August 9th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I used the ponytail method to trim my layers all the time when my hair was longer. It works pretty well, but you have to be very careful to cut it straight and only dust off the tips each time. I'm sure there's a video on Youtube showing this somewhere...

wahmof9
August 9th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I've heard the ponytail method for layers, but I've also heard some bad things about it. If it were me, I'd secure the longest part of my hair before cutting - that way, you won't accidentally chop off your longest 3" or something!

That is what I did...I gathered the top layers in a pony and cut leaving my long layers....which were not as dry anyway...I was too scared to chop the length by mistake!

zzstarz13z05
August 9th, 2009, 11:49 PM
ive done the flip-head-over-and-cut-straight-across. worked well for me, but i wouldnt recommend it... It was back, oh, 6 years ago or so, when i was very very silly with my hair!