PDA

View Full Version : To those who like cones

plaidprincess
August 8th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Hi all, I've been trying out no cones CO for the last couple of months and fell off the wagon whilst on holiday, only to find that using coney shampoo and conditioner made my hair feel incredibly thick and lovely.

So my question is to all those whose hair doesn't like cones - how do you know if it doesn't like them? Is it because hair feels and looks better without cones or is thicker or grows better or something else I've missed?

Thanks in advance!

Spring
August 8th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I have noticed that my hair "feels thicker" using cones and it gives me the feeling that my hair is more protected. Unfortunately I have to switch off of cones or my hair will start to become dry. So I just go back and forth between conditioners 8)

Coriander
August 8th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I've tried CO with non-cones, and CO with cones, and that didn't work for me, so I don't know if I'll be any help.

I've also tried going no-cone many times which always ended up in disaster no matter how long I tried to stay on it. My hair simply loves cones. It feels waxy, wet and dry at the same time, clumpy and feels like it wants to jump off my head if I don't use any cones.

:flower: I hope you find what you need!

hydrangea
August 8th, 2009, 02:27 PM
[quote=Coriander;713007]

It feels waxy, wet and dry at the same time, clumpy and feels like it wants to jump off my head if I don't use any cones.

I feel the exactly same way. This is what happened to me when I tried shampoo bars. I think it's because my hair is so damaged. Do you think undamaged hair reacts better to no cones?

going gray
August 8th, 2009, 03:56 PM
plaidprincess, My hair looks & feels better with "cones" too. It feels "stripped" when I use a shampoo & conditioner without.

Everyone needs to use what's best for them.

Elphie
August 8th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Interesting, the desription of "waxy" reminds me of how my hair feels when I use a cone product. It makes my hair feel coated.

Rivanariko
August 8th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I haven't tried cone-free, but my hair is so happy with cones, I'm not sure if I want to. It's healthy, it's soft, it's easy to work with and it's growing like a weed. I'm not sure how cone-free would really improve it.

spidermom
August 8th, 2009, 05:54 PM
My hair is o.k. without cones, but it's more fly-away and feels lighter, less substantial.

Too many cones and it becomes a tangled mess. Too few cones, and it's the same.

I use no-cone shampoo and conditioner, followed by coney serum (Polish It) about once a week. This seems just about perfect. The cones seem to last through the next 1-2 washings (I wash it every 3-4 days), making my hair far less tangly.

RavennaNight
August 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I just know my hair loves cones. I tried coneless, and my hair became an uncontrollable, wild, tangly mess. Cones keep them down, especially in the summer. I do CO with conefree sometimes between washes. VO5 works well.

heatherdazy
August 8th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I've noticed my hair feels more dry when I use shampoo and/or conditioner with cones, but syling products with cones are fine.

:shrug:

oneKnight
August 9th, 2009, 01:22 AM
No cones tends to make my hair fly-away, at least until it's a couple of days old then it turns greasy. CO washing with cones keeps my hair happy for at least a week before I have to break out the poo. I can alternate with cone-free VO5 if I need something less weighty.

Aditi
August 9th, 2009, 03:49 AM
My hair just loves cones they can't do without it and me too. If your hair likes cones don't be disappointed to go to them as they are best for your hair althought you can try a lighter cone for your hair and see if it gives you the desired result :)

KiwiLiz
August 9th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I use Pantene, the coneyest of the coney conditioners, I use it with coconut oil, it just seems to work for me. With out cones my hair is just unmanageable.

prittykitty
August 9th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I have naturally curly, permed dry hair. I just recently started using cone free conditioner with a cone free leave in conditioner for extra conditioning. I have to wash my hair every day because I have an oily complexion and scalp. I have noticed that going cone free with the conditioners has made my hair feel very hydrated. It seems that the styling creme and conditioners with cones were making the ends of my hair dry and brittle. The cone free conditioners have really softened the brittle part of my hair a lot. The only thing I did notice is that my hair didn't seem shiny so I use a shine mist spray on my hair (sprayed very lightly after my hair is dry) which has some cone in it. So, cone free conditioning has been great for my hair. I am going to try and find a cone free shine spray and see how I do with that.

brok3nwings
August 9th, 2009, 06:37 AM
i am usually a non cone user. When my hair is still wet it feels wierd ... i mean terrible eheh BUT when its completly dry...it goes soft and wonderful.... hmm..

plaidprincess
August 9th, 2009, 08:08 AM
It's good to know cones aren't evil for everyone. I stopped using them because I thought no-cones might bring out the waves that henna has killed. But I've needed to wash a lot more often since ditching the coneys so I think I'll be going back to the big hair days of once a week washing with cones.

Fiferstone
August 9th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I was a Pantene user for years (literally 20 years until 2007), and, although the 'cones made my hair very shiny, my hair is also quite fine, and I found that I had the greasies by day 2. The detergent in the shampoo overstripped my scalp, which encouraged more oil production, so I was locked into washing (shampoo and condition) every. other. day. Expensive, and tiresome. In 2007 I wandered into the LUSH store on Newbury street in Boston pretty much on a whim, and decided to try one of their poo bars (Karma Komba, because at the time I was sure my hair was oily), and the jungle conditioner. I then used that combination for 2 weeks. The first week was hell, as I became very acquainted with how damaged my hair truly was from the punishing routine I was in with my beloved, 'coney Pantene, and my L'Oreal box dye. We're talking straw. It seemed that the conditioner was doing nothing. Until my hair was dried, that is. Wow! It was soft, and light, and shiny, and stayed clean for 2 days. Given what I now know---thanks LHC!-- I can go 3 days between washings. I decided that I didn't need the 'cones after all, and then decided to stop using box dye and start using henna. Then I found LHC while looking for hairstyles for long hair online, and I've since learned a lot that has only had a positive effect on my hair (CWC as a washing method, coconut oil, using a BBB to distribute oil through my length, and ACV rinses). I'll never go back to 'cones because I know that my hair does better without them, but I can understand that people love them as well, so there's no judgement implied in the above, it's just my own "why I stopped using 'cones" story.

rach
August 9th, 2009, 12:29 PM
my hair has reacted well to no-cones surprisingly which i wasn't expecting from what i've herd or people changing over (transition period which i didn't really get). convinced it's allowing more oils in and hair looks more shinier even though to the touch it's actually coarser when wet.
does feel different but i'm convinced it's helping, and i'm using catnip which helps sealing in moisture (even drys more slowly from wet) and it's temporary but it's allowing me to "control" what's going in or out.
my hair is under slow rehabilitation from pervious evils i put it through. but the combination has slowed amount of splits ends considerably and it's allowing oils and moisture to penetrate and is less fluffy.
cones would help if my hair was healthy in the first place :(
we'll get there.

rogue_psyche
August 9th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I don't necessarily think my hair hates cones, but I think my hair does look better without them. It seemed my ends were always too dry and my nape (I don't put condish on my scalp when SCing) was always too greasy. Forget stretching washes more than every other day without looking like a grease ball. I'm slowly getting able to stretch my washes further without looking bad. My hair also seems more shiny without them.

No judgment on anyone who uses cones though. Different strokes for different folks. :p

Arashi
August 9th, 2009, 02:19 PM
My hair always felt fine with a very controlled(small, moderate) amount of cones, but using coney products on my hair (or skin for that matter) would always inevitably make the back of my neck and my forehead break out terribly. I've given them up entirely now.
Also, my hair is much shinier without them. To each their own. :)

Laylah
August 9th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I used cones for forever until a year ago when I tried to switch to no cones. From the start, it was a frizzball and the tangles were so bad my hair was literally breaking off in mats. I returned to cones until a month ago, and I tried to switch again. This time I was more careful using oils/lots of conditioner, etc. My hair has never been better. My back is breaking out much less, and my waves are much more defined. My hair seems to be growing very quickly and I don't have as many flyaways.

junkyschristmas
August 10th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I went no cones for a little while after joining this board, and my hair liked it. Now that summer is in full swing and the humidity is so high, I've gone back to cones so that I don't look like a giant frizz ball. Will probably switch back to no cones in the fall.

Fethenwen
August 10th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I think I will test this cone thingy again, I have a leave in spray that has cones, it was quite expensive bought from a hairdresser. It's been sitting on my shelf for quite some time, I just had horrible memories from times when I used cones, so I haven't touched it since I went coneless a few months back.
But yesterday I gave it a go, I sprayed just a tiny bit... and wow! My hair felt coated, but protected. It didn't make it too straight, I put it in braids afterwards so. But the softness is what made me go wow, I surely didn't remember this stuff doing that to my hair a while back!

I think my hair could handle occasional cones, if I'm careful not to over do it. I would never use a coney shampoo and conditioner, that would be too much. I don't like the way it may weigh down my hair.