PDA

View Full Version : Rolled Braid

peachrose
August 7th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Hi,

A few weeks ago my mother-in-law gave me a book she'd found in a free pile called "Hair A Book of Braiding and Styles". It has a whole bunch of styles that I'd never seen before and I've been trying to master them.

Today I finally managed to do the "rolled braid" which is basically just rolling the two outside braid pieces and braid it with the unrolled middle piece. I really liked the way it turned out and I am already scheming of ways to make it even better. Thought I should share this simple, but pretty braid!

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss339/natalienagasaki/100_6650.jpg

If anyone else wants to post theirs I would love to see it! :cheese: Sorry for the huge picture, I tried in vain to resize it to small on photobucket but it won't work. :(

neon-dream
August 7th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Wow that looks beautiful in your hair! Your thickness is incredible :thud:

yellowchariot
August 7th, 2009, 06:26 PM
That is a new and unique! Also, to agree with neon-dream, your hair is thick!

julya
August 7th, 2009, 06:51 PM
That is a very pretty braid!

AnneAdeline
August 7th, 2009, 07:05 PM
That's a very elegant braid. And your hair is gorgeously thick and shiny!

Ryanne
August 7th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Very beautiful, and I, too, am awed at the thickness of your hair!

Alia
August 7th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Holy Hannah, your hair is thick! :agape: Very good execution on the rolled braid, too.

peachrose
August 7th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks everyone!! The thickness is a blessing and a curse. At BSL length I still can't do a a lot of updos. I suppose it will be worth the wait though when I can finally do a figure 8's and nautilus buns. Thanks again!

Whimsical wind
August 7th, 2009, 08:17 PM
:agape: Wow, your hair so gorgeous and thick! And the braid is lovely. :D

Juneii
August 7th, 2009, 08:25 PM
GEEEBUS! your hair is freakishly thick! I am envious.
the rolled braid looks amazing, I could never pull that off for some reason.. hmm, maybe I should try that tomorrow..

peachrose
August 7th, 2009, 08:47 PM
One of the tips from this book for creating the rolls was to roll the part of hair in front of your ear (near your temple) first. Then combine that roll with another chunk of hair from behind your ear and roll the two together. Clip it, then roll the other side. I also rolled the two side pieces almost to the end and tried the length of them rolled while braiding.

Thanks for all the compliments, you've made my night! And Juneii, yes it is a little freakish, thank goodness I am past the bob stage now as you can imagine how much of a broomstick it was at that length, lol.

Raponsje
August 8th, 2009, 11:44 AM
This braid and your hair both look gorgeous! Fantastic that your mother found a book about braiding. I am looking forward to your future experiments.

Gumball
August 8th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Your braid turned out very nicely done! And I agree with the others. My goodness you've got thick hair!

Bunnyhare
August 8th, 2009, 12:41 PM
It is very pretty, but i still am not sure of what you did, like rope braiding? you french rope roll the sides the blend them in to the large back rope?
I found it on amazon and looked at the directions, now i understand!

shadowclaw
August 9th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Great braid, and your hair is so wonderfully thick!

I also have the book you're talking about (I think). I bought it several years ago from Amazon. It came with a few scrunchies, none of which I liked, unfortunately. They did come in a nice box, though. I can't do most of the stuff in the book, either because my hair is too thin, too long, or I just can't get the hang of it. It's been in my closet for a while now. Perhaps I'll get it out and try something.

I've never been able to do anything with a roll, because my hair is too thin and fine to look good. I have a friend with thick hair, and I did a lovely rolled ponytail on her once.

GoddesJourney
August 9th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I don't think it's possible to over-state how ridiculously thick and amazing your hair is. Just thought I'd add that.

coppercurls
August 9th, 2009, 08:36 PM
That braid is beautiful!:)

Aer
August 9th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Your hair and the braid are gorgeous! That is so cool. If you tweak it any differently you should post a pic of that too.

Jessikinz
August 9th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Beautiful braid!

WendyJo
August 9th, 2009, 09:06 PM
You have gorgeous hair! And the braid looks very pretty in it!

NiAosSi
August 9th, 2009, 09:20 PM
That's such a pretty braid. And, your hair is so thick! Maybe a tutorial?:hmm:

Roseate
August 11th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Ooo, I did a version of this as a French braid today, and it turned out really nice! Good for the shorties out there. I just rolled the first two side pieces, then French braided my way down. Gave it kind of a retro faux-40's roll look in the front, and was super easy. I'll have to do it again and take some pictures. Thanks for posting this!

Ponytale
August 11th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I agree with the others--that is gorgeous! I have tried a rolled braid many times over the years, but my fine hair does not give it he romantic look yours has, and I always take it out.