PDA

View Full Version : washing oily hair?

pinkprincess
April 14th, 2008, 07:55 AM
anyone who gets very oily roots and dry ends, how do you wash your hair and how often?

Rheia Althia
April 14th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Hi there,
How often do you wash your hair?
My oily scalp almost completely vanished when I starting washing only once or twice a week about 3 years ago (my hair is down to my waist). The more you wash, the more oil you scalp creates to compensate for the detergent.

Just recently I started doing a baking soda wash (1 tsp baking soda in a cup of warm water) once a week instead of shampoo and my hair has become even nicer. It lets the natural oils make their way to the ends.

mommy101405
April 14th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I recently started CWC and have had good luck with that. My scalp gets clean and my ends don't feel like straw. I also recommend a deep conditioning treatment on your ends. It has helped mine alot.

pinkprincess
April 14th, 2008, 09:27 AM
have you got a link to some info about CWC? i cant seem to find any!

Treecrown
April 14th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I have the same "condition", oily scalp, dry ends, and CWC has changed my life! Not sure if the article from the old site is up yet/still, but what I do is very simple: before I get in the shower, I put lots of nice, 'cone-free conditioner on my ends and length, up to about my ears--clip my hair up with a hair clip--get in the shower, do some other shower-y things like soap for a few minutes--then wet my hair, not worrying too much about rinsing out all of the conditioner--shampoo my scalp down to my ears--rinse thoroughly--condition the ends again. This has made my hair SO much happier. It kept my hair nice and shiny and wavy through the winter, whereas in the past my hair went dead-flat and statick-y in the winter.

Thank you, LHC!!!

Druid of Alba
April 14th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I use a paste of Shikakai and Amla. It is very good at removing oil, yet it doesn't dry my hair! Shikakai and Amla are Indian hers, and there is an article about them on the site.

spidermom
April 14th, 2008, 10:16 AM
CWC with diluted shampoo every 3-4 days. Olive oil to the bottom third of length while damp after washing and to any area that feels dry when I comb it out between washings. Protective up-styles.

Katze
April 14th, 2008, 10:29 AM
stretched my washes out to every 3-4 days. mist my ends more and oil them (coconut) whenever they get wet or damp. Use a leave-in (goth rosary).

And - this is really important for me - DON'T touch the scalp. that sets up the itch-flake-oily cycle that makes my hair get greasy faster. Occasional shampoo is also not a bad thing.

AJoifulNoise
April 15th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Due to scalp issues, including lots of oil, I CO Mon-Fri. I shampoo/condition Saturday. So I wash almost every day in one form or another.

aisling
April 15th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Gentle washing, either C-W-C* with diluted shampoo or CO, seems to be good for my scalp. I also agree with Katze, handle as little as possible, handling my hair more has a tendency to make it extra greasy. also, my ends need a good conditioner (or two) and a leave in. I usually use plain coconut oil on my wet ends, my hair seems to love it.

*I do it the classical way, jump into the shower, wet hair down, add conditioner to the length, then wash scalp with shampoo. I don't bother with adding conditioner before showering but I might do some kind of pre wash oiling.