PDA

View Full Version : Pigtails--how old is too old?

zzstarz13z05
August 7th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Hey all,

I am 22 years old, and love wearing my hair in pigtails. Low ones (http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:QlAeFGvapoiQFM:http://www.glamour.com/images/fashionbeauty/2008/06/fasl01_hair_how_tos.jpg), that go over my shoulder (Not like that girl from Daria (http://www.geocities.com/daria22002/pictures/pictures/brittany3.gif))...

Anyways, do you think I'm too old to be wearing my hair like that out in public?

I don't like securing my hair behind my back, but its too hot to wear it all down, and over the shoulders in front. Pigtails also solve my obsessive need for symmetry (even though I'm okay with side bangs... hehe!)

Thanks!

heatherdazy
August 7th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Do you mean two ponytails or two braids?

I often wear two french braids to bed and to the gym (then braid waves right after my workout! So easy! And I also like two buns, though my hair is not currently long enough to do it.

pradabacon
August 7th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Well, I'm 32 and I still like to wear double French braids and low pigtails. But I really just don't care whether I'm too old to wear them or not. http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/lol.gif I say go for it. Just stop wearing them once you're 90 or so. After that, it's totally inappropriate!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/nuts.gif

concrescence
August 7th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I'm 31 and wear two low pig-tails (in the US these are pony-tails, not braids) all the time. I don't usually wear them to work, but out on a Saturday or at the gym. I also like two low buns. I have layers and my hair is still not very long, but if I damp bun them and secure them with one hair screw each, they hold all day. These, I will wear to work. I make them a bit messier too, sometimes, for a casual look.

Gypsy
August 7th, 2009, 12:26 AM
22 is not too old to do anything, lady! Lol!
Anyway, I'm 41 and wear them- both braids (well, before I cut my hair :()and ponytails; not a good look for every single moment in life of course, but they look just fine as long as they aren't wrapped with yarn ribbons or deely boppers.:p
P.S. I LOVE Daria... "La la LA la la.. You're standing on my neck"... I especially loved the "glitter berries".

masterofmidgets
August 7th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I wear braided pigtails all the time, they're my favorite style. I don't think I'm too old for them at twenty.:D Actually, I think pigtails, braided or not, look fine on people a lot older than me. They are a youthful look, certainly, but I don't think they look childish, especially low pigtails.

toodramatik
August 7th, 2009, 12:30 AM
The ones in the picture are great. As long as it's not high ponytails, they tend to look a little skanky

Cheros
August 7th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I don't think you're ever too old to do anything you did as a child. Well maybe a few things but not a lot :)

If it solves your problems and looks good then that's all there is to it, you're doing it to please yourself not others.

zzstarz13z05
August 7th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Aww thanks all!

The reason I asked was because this... very nice girl ::cough cough::.... that I work with said I was too old for pigtails. I had mentioned I wore my hair in them once, and she was in disgust... Perhaps she thought I meant those super high ones, that can tend to look skanky as toodramatik said.

I like them braided, or un-braided, or french braided.... Its so easy and quick! Sometimes ill wrap two french braided pig tails along the nape of my neck to sport a Heidi-type braid.

Cheros
August 7th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I think it looks nice. If you wanted to be mean you could insult her hairstyle, but that probably won't help the situation :p

If she's going to look at you in disgust because of a hairstlye, just forget about the b*£ch.

Edit: she might have thought that, but even then there's such a thing as courtesy

Aditi
August 7th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I don't think that 22 years is considered as OLD, i would say go ahead and wear your pigtails to work and FREAK her out :D.

Stephichan
August 7th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I'm 21 and I still wear pigtails, whether they be braided, french braided, or loose (not high up though... it looks funny on me). Sometimes when my hair is damp I'll make two buns really high up on my head, but I don't usually go out with those left in.

Sashay
August 7th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I saw a little white haired old lady with her hair in twin french braids to pig tails, while I was a work, and she looked adorable :). So I don't think you can ever get too old for it. (I like to wear them too, and I'm 24)

bluewhiteblue
August 7th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Definitely not "too old". I'm 20 and I like wearing low pigtails more towards the back of my head, and I also wear braided pigtails. For me, wearing the non-braid pigtails with a side part tends to make it look more "grown up".

Shadow
August 7th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I reckon that low one's are okay at any age (depending on the occasion) but high one's should be rescricted to small children (or banned enitrely, if Im honest - I think high pigtails are revolting)

freckles
August 7th, 2009, 02:33 AM
I'm 20 and love pigtails, even those ultra-high ones everyone is ragging on and my sister tells me make me look like I'm trying to be an anime schoolgirl :p I don't think anybody's too old for pigtails if they like them :)

Samitra
August 7th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I'm 20 and love pigtails, even those ultra-high ones everyone is ragging on and my sister tells me make me look like I'm trying to be an anime schoolgirl :p I don't think anybody's too old for pigtails if they like them :)

I too love pigtails. But I look funny in low ones , so I wear them high :D I don't think one can get too old for pigtails, it's just a matter of taste.

Lemur_Catta
August 7th, 2009, 02:53 AM
I don't think you are too old. Probably people who say that are just envious because they can't do anything with their short and\or layered hair :D

longhairedfairy
August 7th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Pierce Brosnan wore two braids in the movie Grey Owl (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128239/).:)

rhosyn_du
August 7th, 2009, 03:18 AM
It's really more a matter of context than age. I'm 31, and I never get more compliments than when I'm wearing pigtails (the high, apparently skanky :confused: ones), but I also have purple bangs and a nose ring, and work at a tech company. I doubt I'd be getting the same kind of positive reaction if I had my natural hair color and worked at an accounting firm.

pixiedoo
August 7th, 2009, 03:33 AM
If you are too old for pigtails at 22 then there is no hope for me lol :)

I'm 32 and I still wear pigtails but then I have never really been bothered about what other people think!!

I don't think pigtails have an age limit and hopefully I'll still have enough hair to be wearing them when I'm 80!!!:)

pink.sara
August 7th, 2009, 03:36 AM
It's really more a matter of context than age. I'm 31, and I never get more compliments than when I'm wearing pigtails (the high, apparently skanky :confused: ones), but I also have purple bangs and a nose ring, and work at a tech company. I doubt I'd be getting the same kind of positive reaction if I had my natural hair color and worked at an accounting firm.

:D I feel exactly the same! I'm 28 and think my high ponies are kind of cute... but then it depends on your attitude :p

And at 22? You can do ANYTHING with your hair! Don't let others jealousy of your lovely long locks stop you!

Newniepg
August 7th, 2009, 03:56 AM
This made me smile, I was only telling my Mum yesterday that my brother had said pigtails (meaning double braids) is now inappropriate because I am now a mother. I wore them anyway but haven't worn them since.

I am 24, I don't know if hair styles have an 'age limit'.

Cheros
August 7th, 2009, 04:33 AM
The only limit a hairstyle has, is hair. If you don't have it you can't do it. If you do then you can. This so called maturity people profess, is nothing more than childish delusion. Sometimes.

GlassEyes
August 7th, 2009, 04:41 AM
"Like, are you SURE that you can be too old for pigtails? That just seems wroooooooooooong...OH MY GOD, LOOK, A BUTTERFLY!?" *chases*

AAAAAANNYWAY, I don't think you're too old. Honestly, I don't think anyone is too old for much of anything, but that's just my way of thinking. The young wonder if they're too young to do something, the midway wonder if they're too old, and the actually old decide they're too old to actually give a damn. XD;

I'd rather just skip to the last stage, plzthx.

marzipanthecat
August 7th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Two pigtails is fine. I think the actually look ok at any age.

Honestly, I think it depends on a person's attitude, whether or not something will look ok on them. If you feel awkward wearing or doing something, you will look awkward too. (I can't wear skirts that are much above my ankles!)

Back when I was at university it was the fashion to wear two plaits (braids), quite high up, and threaded through with lots of ribbons. (This was due to a young lady in a popular soap opera wearing them. and it quickly became a trend.) I'd like to see people try it again now! (um, 15 years later...)

slz
August 7th, 2009, 05:35 AM
The only limit a hairstyle has, is hair. If you don't have it you can't do it. If you do then you can.
Actually for pigtails, too much hair (too long) makes it look awkward - on me at least, you can replace awkward with, hemmm ... ugly. Really ugly.
That would be for "regular" pigtails, not the braided ones, which look perfectly ok at any length.
Oh and I think it also depends on your overall appearence, i.e., the way you're dressed : I sometimes wear a mini skirt with thigh-high socks and doc marten's shoes, wich might be considered unappropriate for my age (obviously not in my opinion :D ). But then wearing 2 side braids at the same time would be a little bit too much, I think, so I do my regular braid or a simple bun, and keep the fancier hair stuff for when I'm dressed more "neutral". Kinda overall balance.

Kat
August 7th, 2009, 05:47 AM
pig-tails (in the US these are pony-tails, not braids)

Actually, to me (also in the US), pigtails are braids, not ponytails. But, I never liked the term "pigtails" anyway because...what about a ponytail OR a braid looks like a pig's tail?

Anyway. I'm 26 and wear my hair that way sometimes. My partner thinks it's cute (and keeps my hair back in a braid while being less severe looking than my customary single braid). However, I also look like I'm 16, so I use that as my excuse. If I looked 30 I probably wouldn't do it. (I'm also having a hard time giving up my cute skirts and little t-shirts and shorter shorts and such too...but I guess once I hit 30, no matter how young I *look*, I'd better do it lest I turn into one of those women I despise who still dress like their teenage daughters at 40 as if they can't come to grips with getting older)

I think the reason I and the OP worry is because two braids are considered more of a style for 10-year-olds than grown women (think Laura Ingalls in the Little House on the Prairie show). My mom even tries to tell me that wearing my hair in the ONE braid is what makes me look younger than I am (though I never saw one braid as a "kid" style).

toodramatik
August 7th, 2009, 05:50 AM

I think it's a lil different if you follow alternative fashion (I'm gonna guess because of the purple and the nose ring). However, if you were blonde, had massive hoop earrings, wore your hair in high ponytails.. Sorry, I'd look at you weird. :D

slz
August 7th, 2009, 06:08 AM
those women I despise who still dress like their teenage daughters at 40 as if they can't come to grips with getting older.

You're welcome :bounce:

Don't get me wrong though - I'm not offended at all, I know very well what I expose myself to, I just chose not to give a flying f* :cheese: :cheese: .

Cheros
August 7th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Actually for pigtails, too much hair (too long) makes it look awkward - on me at least, you can replace awkward with, hemmm ... ugly. Really ugly.
That would be for "regular" pigtails, not the braided ones, which look perfectly ok at any length.

That's a personal preference I guess. I was trying to say the only limit, is your decision. If you think it doesn't look good you won't do it. But you shouldn't not do it because someone else thinks it will look bad.
But this could go on forever so :)

Edit: The double negative makes sense right ?

Vermelha
August 7th, 2009, 06:21 AM
LOL, I wear pigtails to sleep ^_^

redcelticcurls
August 7th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I've seen them on a woman in her 60s who *always* wears her hair in pigtails, and I think it does look off in the way wearing age inappropraite clothing can look odd.

But, why should she care what I think, it's her hair.

Irishred
August 7th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Kat, what part of the US are you in?

Everywhere I have been/ lived - Ohio to Florida and SE coast... currently in TN - pigtails are 2 pony tails. If they are plaited, they are pigtail braids (or braided pigtails).

I believe they get the name pigtails from little girls (2-4 years when they have baby fine just long enough to put up hair) that are often styled this way. My DD is a good example if I had a picture I'd post it, but I don't have one on my computer. My DD's hair when put into high pig tails would curl and would look... well like a pig's tail.

My DD and I both wear Laura braids (scroll down a little for a picture of Melissa Gilbert as Laura) (http://http://bookhuntersholiday.wordpress.com/2008/06/08/chapter-198-little-house-on-the-prairie-the-musical/).

DD loves to wear "Abby" styles as well. Abby is the forensic lab person on the TV show NCIS played by Pauley Perrette (http://www.cbs.com/primetime/ncis/bio/pauley_perrette/bio.php). She wears high and low pigtails and braided pigtails as well as what we call Abby buns - hair is sectioned into quarters and bunned in the center of each section. If I did not have my length, I'd consider some of those styles for fun days.... especially if I were teens or early 20s (but I'm not).

Hope that helps.

Carolyn
August 7th, 2009, 08:53 AM
You're only too old for something if you think you're too old to do it. "Age appropriate"? Who is to say what is appropriate at what age?

To me "pigtails" have always been double ponytails, either high or low. Braids (plural) are two braids, one on either side of the head.

Rohele
August 7th, 2009, 10:34 AM
If you're too old then I'm too old - I wear them sometimes and I'm 38 - low ones, like in the picture you linked to. (or maybe I'm one of those skanky pushing-40 year olds not dressing her age. :rolleyes: )

I say wear your hair how you like it. At 22 you definitely don't have to worry about looking old! :)

teela1978
August 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I haven't worn them in a while, but I was definitely doing pigtails like the girl on Daria well in to my late 20's. If you have any wave/curl to your hair, put them up damp, and twirl them till they're dry you get cute sausage roll pigtails :)

missmagoo
August 7th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I'm 28, and I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing pigtails to work, I wear them to work out, on weekends/vacations, etc.

When I was your age, my hair was shorter, but I wore my hair in two buns pretty much everyday, for any occasion.

rhosyn_du
August 7th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I think it's a lil different if you follow alternative fashion (I'm gonna guess because of the purple and the nose ring). However, if you were blonde, had massive hoop earrings, wore your hair in high ponytails.. Sorry, I'd look at you weird. :D

That's a lot of what I meant by context: where you are, what you're wearing, and how you carry yourself. I think the attitude part is probably the most important. I've known people who look completely normal doing strange things in terms of hair/fashion just because of how they carried themselves.

Everywhere I have been/ lived - Ohio to Florida and SE coast... currently in TN - pigtails are 2 pony tails. If they are plaited, they are pigtail braids (or braided pigtails).

In CA, "pigtails" encompasses both two ponytails and two braids. I have at least one friend who moved here from another part of the country who found this usage very confusing.

Raponsje
August 7th, 2009, 12:26 PM
To me it would only matter if such a remark was made by someone who's style I really admire. From all other people such a remark would go in one ear and out the other (right past them pigtails :D)

redneckprincess
August 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I wear pig tails from time to time, and I'll be 31 soon. expically with long hair I think they look good on myself and others

Merlin
August 7th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I think it comes down to two things: do you have the confidence to do it and, do you think you look good? There is far too many of these things which one 'should' do or not do at various ages and situations - as I've quoted before, "Why the hell do you care what other people think" (Richard Feynman).

Personally, I can't think why you shouldn't wear bunches if you want to, especially if you look good with them - if you want to wear them high up that's fine too. This is a vicious cycle: younger girls wear bunches (especially high ones), so older girls don't because it's a style for younger girls, so you don't see older girls wearing them, so clearly it's a style for younger girls, etc etc etc. So if you want to, buck the trend and do it. Like I tell my son sometimes, there are a whole load of herd animals and fewer pack animals. The herd animals just wander aimlessly around after one another, chew plants and poo a lot: like sheep. The pack animals are dynamic, make choices work as a team, and scare the s**t out of the herd animals: like wolves. So when he feels he doesn't fit in I ask him "What are you, a sheep or a wolf?"

If your (oh so helpful co-worker) comments again ask her straight out "Why shouldn't I wear my hair like this?", get her to articulate why. If she says it's only a style for little girls again ask "Why?". You might also suggest that just because she lacks the bottle to do it......

The sheep won't wear bunches till all the other sheep do - the wolves tie their hair up, look in the mirror, decide they look great, and don't care what the sheep think. They are also the ones who are going to turn heads ;-)

"Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" or "Hooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwlllllll"

yellowchariot
August 7th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Hey all,

I am 22 years old, and love wearing my hair in pigtails. Low ones (http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:QlAeFGvapoiQFM:http://www.glamour.com/images/fashionbeauty/2008/06/fasl01_hair_how_tos.jpg), that go over my shoulder (Not like that girl from Daria (http://www.geocities.com/daria22002/pictures/pictures/brittany3.gif))...

Anyways, do you think I'm too old to be wearing my hair like that out in public?

I don't like securing my hair behind my back, but its too hot to wear it all down, and over the shoulders in front. Pigtails also solve my obsessive need for symmetry (even though I'm okay with side bangs... hehe!)

Thanks!

IMO, I think pigtails look cute on girls at any age.

However the main point is you shouldn't worry about what others think. If you wore your {insert favorite hairstyle here} and someone said something negative about it. . . would you care then?

When my hair was just starting to get long/shabby I couldn't count the number of times people said how bad that it looked. Now that it's manageable, most people say it suits who I am (whoever that may be :alien: LOL)

Hair. . . is just hair, and I think some people take it too seriously. . .

Scientifically, hair is nothing more than DEAD CELLS!!! So enjoy your dead cells, pigtails, twist. . . etc :thumbsup:

Gemma
August 7th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I wear my hair in braided pigtails all the time. In fact, I think I've worn this style exclusively for the past 6 months. I'm 24. :)

yellowchariot
August 7th, 2009, 02:51 PM
The sheep won't wear bunches till all the other sheep do - the wolves tie their hair up, look in the mirror, decide they look great, and don't care what the sheep think. They are also the ones who are going to turn heads ;-)

^ Merlin, I like that quote!
and if I could just add on to that. . .

Do you think a wolf is going to care how it looks, acts, or struts, when it takes down a sheep? NO. . . :horse:

For some reason I'm hearing "Of Wolf, and Man" playing in my mind from Metallica! hehe

FallenAngel
Well, I'm 32 and I wear pigtails every now and then. :D

Aer
I am 24, and I wear pigtails. In some cultures women wear them at any age. My great great grandmother was Crow indian, and in her pictures, wore them into her 80's. It doesn't matter anyway, because you should wear what you like. I mean alot of people think that long hair is to be worn only by the very young, and look what site your on!! So don't start caring now what they think. And besides your 22!!

Belledandy
August 7th, 2009, 04:04 PM
If you like your pigtails (braided or not) then wear 'em! :) I'm almost 30 and I wear them often. (Yesterday, in fact.) I remember several years back when long hair (This would be BSL according to fashion.) was really in and people were talking about how "fresh" and "fun" pigtails for older women were. They cautioned wearing the high ones, and opted for braiding them part way with more "tassel" on the end. I think they can look very elegant with the right hair and hiding the top bands (If unbraided, that is).

Kiraela
August 7th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I don't know - high pigtails look sort of strange with my face shape now that I've got longer hair, but were cute when my hair was shorter. Low tails look even better now! Heck, I'm wearing low pigtails this very minute!

I really don't think there's such a thing as 'too old' to do much of anything (except possibly break dance, if you're like, 80. Then it's more of 'break(a hip) dancing', haha)

Tangles
August 7th, 2009, 10:24 PM
This is the ONLY style that I think looks better on hair that's shoulder to APL than on longer lengths. :shrug:

mwedzi
August 7th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I'm 31 and wore two low pigtails. Tied with ribbon at that! Maybe it's not the most mature or professional hair style for work, but I think it's still okay in other places. Especially at 22. And even if someone didn't like it, they're not the hair police! :lol:

frodolaughs
August 7th, 2009, 11:33 PM
You're never too old for pigtails!

adiapalic
August 8th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Honestly? I think two low pigtails would look sweet :) no one's too old for that.

zzstarz13z05
August 8th, 2009, 12:44 AM
awww, thanks everyone!

I agree, I love pigtails. I was just wondering the general consensus.

I wore my low piggy-tails to the bar tonight... It was too hot to wear down, but I dont like a single pony since thats how I have to wear my hair to work every day.

Hooray pigtails!

kdaniels8811
August 8th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I think you would look adorable in pigtails. Wear them as long as you feel comfortable!

shadowclaw
August 8th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I always thought a ponytail was when you had one... well... ponytail, and pigtails were when there were two, whether they were braided or unbraided.

I wear pigtails on occasion, but I find that my head looks odd if they aren't low, unless I'm wearing a visor, then they can be high. It's difficult to explain. I think pigtails are appropriate for whomever cares to wear them. Though I do think a set of high ones tied with colorful ribbons would look odd if you were wearing a black dress suit.

I don't think high ponytails necessarily look skanky unless coupled with a skanky outfit. My best friend did tell me back when I had a thing for a guy I worked with that wearing pigtails would be "pulling out all the stops." My fiance also really likes it when I wear pigtails :D

Lady Mary
August 8th, 2009, 07:00 PM
You're never too old for any hairstyle. Now, some people don't look best with pigtails or with a bob or even with long hair. It always depends on how the person looks and how they carry themselves. Have confidence in your looks and your hair and you can do just about anything at any age. :blossom:

Elphie
August 8th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I've crossed the 40 line and I wear my hair in pigtails, double buns and double dutch braids. Be confident if you like your hair that way and the rest of the world generally will respond to that confidence. As for the ones who don't get that vibe, who gives a fig what they think? ;-)

Honestwitness
August 8th, 2009, 07:38 PM
All this talk about pigtails makes me want to see some pictures!!! How about posting some pics, those of you who wear pigtails?

I'm 59 with mostly white, APL hair. I'm just now getting up the nerve to wear a bun in public, so I doubt if I would wear pigtails (two low ponytails) in public, especially to work with my business attire.

But now you've got me interested in trying pigtails for casual occassions. Maybe tomorrow I'll do up some pigtails and post a pic in this thread and see if you all think I'm too old to wear them.

oneKnight
August 9th, 2009, 01:58 AM
They make me look younger.
Some of you guys might appreciate that, but I really don't need to look 12 anymore than I already do.

Therefore, pigtails are a big no-no for me.

Merlin
August 9th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I always thought a ponytail was when you had one... well... ponytail, and pigtails were when there were two, whether they were braided or unbraided.

In the UK 'ponytail' means one loose tail, pigtails are two plaits, and 'bunches' are two ponytails

Starr
August 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I still wear pigtails and I'm married with children. . .

Raponsje
August 9th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I think it comes down to two things: do you have the confidence to do it and, do you think you look good? There is far too many of these things which one 'should' do or not do at various ages and situations - as I've quoted before, "Why the hell do you care what other people think" (Richard Feynman).

Personally, I can't think why you shouldn't wear bunches if you want to, especially if you look good with them - if you want to wear them high up that's fine too. This is a vicious cycle: younger girls wear bunches (especially high ones), so older girls don't because it's a style for younger girls, so you don't see older girls wearing them, so clearly it's a style for younger girls, etc etc etc. So if you want to, buck the trend and do it. Like I tell my son sometimes, there are a whole load of herd animals and fewer pack animals. The herd animals just wander aimlessly around after one another, chew plants and poo a lot: like sheep. The pack animals are dynamic, make choices work as a team, and scare the s**t out of the herd animals: like wolves. So when he feels he doesn't fit in I ask him "What are you, a sheep or a wolf?"

If your (oh so helpful co-worker) comments again ask her straight out "Why shouldn't I wear my hair like this?", get her to articulate why. If she says it's only a style for little girls again ask "Why?". You might also suggest that just because she lacks the bottle to do it......

Very inspiring. You really hit the core.

Arctic_Mama
August 10th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I'm 23, married, and with two little girls of my own - I am in NO way too old for twin braids, or even high double buns or ponytails, if I fancy them. If they make me happy and flatter the activity, outfit, or general feel I want to achieve then I just don't care what others think.

But I remember seeing some long, white/silver twin braids on an older lady (maybe 65-75?) ages ago and being completely floored at how beautiful they were on her. If you're confident wearing them then they suit you, no matter what anyone else thinks.

Dotlover
August 10th, 2009, 02:26 AM
It would be a matter of preference of style. I think anyone can look lovely in a set of pigtails =]

If something is ok for adults to do but not children then we have problems. tee hee

lilalong
August 10th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I think, while wearing pigtails at 98 is still fine, once you reach the tender age of 99, you are definitely too old.:p

JamieLeigh
August 10th, 2009, 08:35 AM
LOL. I'm 28, and I still do it. :p
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2327&pictureid=30049

Debra83
August 10th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I'm 44, and I've started doing it again now that my hair is long enough. Braided or unbraided. There was a post on here somewhere just a few months ago about Suzanne Somers wearing them too!!! Apparently, the braided ones are back in style with celebrities - regardless of age. (not that we need them to validate them, but just that they are catching up with the rest of us!!!!).

Renbirde
August 10th, 2009, 01:14 PM
You'll never be too old for them if you're young at heart. :D

Honestwitness
August 10th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Very beautiful, JamieLeigh! You're an inspiration. I still plan on doing pigtails and sharing a pic or two. I just need to find the time.

young&reckless
August 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM
All hair styles a great, some encourage inappropriate comments.

longhairedfairy
August 10th, 2009, 10:15 PM
In the UK 'ponytail' means one loose tail, pigtails are two plaits, and 'bunches' are two ponytails
Where I grew up it was similar: pigtails were two braids and ponytails were loose (however many there were).

redcelticcurls
August 10th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Where I grew up it was similar: pigtails were two braids and ponytails were loose (however many there were).

Interesting. I grew up in WV, and two loose were pigtails, and two braids were Pocahontas braids.

One loose was a ponytail.

JCFantasy23
September 6th, 2009, 04:59 AM
22 is still WAY too young to worry about things like that. They can be cute on women of all ages.

Chibbylick
September 6th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I'm 38, and I wear pigtails, sometimes braided (what I call Indian plaits) but mostly low and loosely curled. I think you are never too old for any hair style you want to wear.
Chibby

jasper
September 6th, 2009, 08:54 AM
My students seem to think 4th grade is too old for two pigtails. I don't agree. I think you can pull off the style at any age. The rest of your look- your clothes, make-up (if any), attitude, behavior, etc. are going to make a difference, of course. But it can add up to juvenile, or sophisticated or anything in between.

oh, and I always thought of pony tail as long and flowing while a pigtail was short and curly- too literal, I guess?

Juanita
September 6th, 2009, 09:06 AM
In my mid 50's. I wear braided pigtails.

Xandergrammy
September 6th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I'll be 54 tomorrow and one of my favorite hairstyles (and my grandson's very favorite) is braided pigtails. I dare anyone to tell me I'm too old to wear them. (I don't wear ponytails of any kind because my hair is so big) :gabigrin:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=251&pictureid=25811

jasper
September 6th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I did some research. I went to the movies this afternoon, and while waiting for my friend to arrive, I counted 6 women wearing pig tail styles in about 15 minutes. Between the ages of 16 and 60.

Firefly
September 6th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Last October I went to a Native American burial ceremony and was struck by all the thick, gorgeous silver pigtails. I say, you're never too old, despite what our culture says.

Xandergrammy, you rock!:rockerdud

ETA: I am 40 and still wear them...

Aeasa
September 6th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I don't think any age is too old for pigtails...to me, it's along the same lines as an older woman being too old for long hair...preposterous! :rant:
I also completely disagree that high pigtails are skanky. It depends on the whole look of the person, and I've seen some girls my age totally rock some high pigtails!
I tend to wear mine low, but if I wear them high, I bun them, and I think they look pretty cute. I've never heard someone make a comment about me being "too old" to wear them, and in fact, usually get bombarded by compliments. :flower:

rhubarbarin
September 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I like low pigtails and braids for any age, and wear them myself.

Pigtails higher on your head often look silly on adults, IMO. BUT if you like a style don't listen to anyone who tells you you shouldn't wear it.

fisher2
September 6th, 2009, 09:29 PM
i think when you die is when pigtails stop being epic

practikalmagik
September 7th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Pigtails are awesome! I find them really handy when one has thick hair too cos I have enough trouble getting a hairband round half my hair let alone all of it together, hence why I tend to wear various plaited pigtails a lot.

To be honest though, sod what everyone else thinks, we're only here for a short amount of time, how we look is no one's business but our own!

stuntpeople
May 31st, 2010, 08:20 PM
You'll never be too old. If other people have a problem with it, then that's really their problem isn't it? Unless Sharia Law dictates pigtails land you in jail I say do it!

UltraBella
May 31st, 2010, 08:27 PM
I say do whatever you want with your hair for however long you would like. There are no hair rules !!!!

Ladyskritek
May 31st, 2010, 08:39 PM
I would say that pigtail braids should be age-less but high pigtails without braids... Well lets just say that I am youngish but I wouldn't be caught dead walking around with my kids wearing pigtails. YIKES! I think it has a lot to do with lifestyle too.

breezefaerie
May 31st, 2010, 08:43 PM
I agree- wear your hair as you like to!

For me, they don't look quite right on. I'm not sure if it's my age (41) or just me. I love them on others, not on me :)

rapunzhell13
May 31st, 2010, 08:45 PM
No such thing as too old for pigtails! All they require is confidence. :)

tanya222
May 31st, 2010, 10:12 PM
The ones in the picture are great. As long as it's not high ponytails, they tend to look a little skanky

I've had this happen to me~ years ago I thought I'd be cute and wear mid-height pigtails. My neighbour who thinks he's funny made a wisecrack of "Oh nice handles"/ So I abandoned that style idea! :o

mktmgt
May 31st, 2010, 11:18 PM
My grandmother wears pigtails. But she looks adorable.

Loreley
June 1st, 2010, 02:01 AM
I think low pigtails are pretty! :)

Heavenly Locks
June 1st, 2010, 02:04 AM
I'm almost 30 and I wear them :) Skinny braids and all ...

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/HeavenlyJumper/Trip%20to%20WA%20and%20ID/DSC00420.jpg

KittyLost
June 1st, 2010, 04:21 AM
I think there is different styles for different ages who wear pigtails. For example when you're young they tend to go right on the top of your head and they make there way slowly down your head the older you get and then differ with plaits and what not.

So you're never too old for them :)

alwayssmiling
June 1st, 2010, 06:11 AM
:whistle:I'm 37 and wear two side pigtails, low down. I really like them, especially now the weather is getting warmer and I've started wearing floaty summer dresses. Life's too short for saying "I'm too old for....." :)

Night_Kitten
June 1st, 2010, 06:36 AM
I like low pigtails, but I don't wear them much because the length tends to tangle and catch on things...
I don't think you can be too old for them - they always look good :)

FrannyG
June 1st, 2010, 07:40 AM
No one is ever too old for pigtails. Ever. Of course there's a time and a place. :)

Merlin
June 1st, 2010, 09:09 AM
No one is ever too old for pigtails. Ever. Of course there's a time and a place. :)

My monitor says thanks for the coffee

(Note to self, do not surf LHC at work as it's my budget which has to pay for new monitors...)

utdesertrunner
June 1st, 2010, 01:06 PM
I'm almost 30 and my hair is in braided pigtails right now. I was riding my bike like that and my neighbor told me I should do my hair like that everyday! So go for it! What ever makes you feel happy will look great on you!

Ansaphone
June 1st, 2010, 01:59 PM
I would never wear pigtails but only because they look silly on me. If you like them on yourself, keep wearing them, life is too short to adjust to other people if you are happy with yourself.

JenniferNoel
June 1st, 2010, 02:01 PM
I love pigtails, nobody is too old for them. It's not the pigtails, it's how they're presented really. I wear them frequently.

The Drood
June 1st, 2010, 02:59 PM
Hey all,

Thanks!

Age should not be a limiting factor for most anything. Do what you like and forgo the thoughts of other people. That is unless what you would do has the ability to hurt others.

Things become "acceptable" when enough people are doing them. So, you doing this would make it more "acceptable". Think about it like you're setting the rules :D

kmoc123
June 1st, 2010, 03:05 PM
I will be 50 in a week and I will wear pigtails sometimes...high or low or make them into teddy bear ears...IT IS MY HAIR AND I WILL DO AS I PLEASE!!! Whatever makes you happy...

Beatrice
June 1st, 2010, 03:12 PM
I can't wait until my hair is long enough for pigtails, albeit low ones. Oh, and when you braid them and form the braid into a loop--adorable! You can also make them a bit more mature or dressy by curling the ends. I'm not one for high pigtails, or short ones, as mine would be if I tried it now.

As for the appropriateness, I've been seeing a lot of models with pigtails in the beauty magazines lately. (I don't read them on a regular basis, but I always take a peek when sis and I go to the salon for a trim!) I agree, there's a time and a place. I don't see myself wearing them in law school classes.

pennylane
June 1st, 2010, 03:35 PM
Pigtails are cute.

Having said that, i wouldn't leave the house wearing them. :)

sugarpixie10988
June 1st, 2010, 03:49 PM
Pigtails are one of my favorite styles! I'll never stop wearing them :D.

Belisarius
June 1st, 2010, 03:50 PM
I know a girl with at least waist length hair who wears pigtails every day and she is about 25.

Sheltie_Momma
June 1st, 2010, 04:26 PM
I'm 38 and wear low double pony tails. Especially with a side bang and loose curls and a wide scarf - love it. It's not what I wear with a business suit on days I give formal presentations but on the weekend out and about with kids, boating etc, heck yeah.

Aby23
June 1st, 2010, 05:09 PM
I am 30 and wear both pigtails and double braids, but not to work. But on weekends, going to the gym, riding bikes, etc. they're great. I'm a high school teacher, and I feel they are either too sexy or too girlish for my job. In fact, I know many men who love both types, including my bf.

Quahatundightu
June 1st, 2010, 05:37 PM
I think they're great! It's all about context really. Also I do think they often make people appear younger.. at least if I wear them I get asked what year at school I'm in (eg what grade).... no one believes I'm 24! XD

Tressie
June 1st, 2010, 09:05 PM
Never too old! IMHO!

PrincessBob
September 4th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Braided 4-strand pigtails are my go-to style. We call them pride braids, because this is how we wear our hair to powwows to show our pride in our Native American Heritage. You are certainly never too old. Carry yourself with joy and love and nobody can tell you something is wrong for the way you look.

RadiantNeedle
September 4th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Never too old.