PDA

View Full Version : what do you consider "long" hair?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

buttons
April 14th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Since lurking around LHC i think my "long hair" perception changed. It used to be that BSL was pretty long to me but now I consider more around the waist or hip area long hair. I know a lot of non-LHCers that consider APL long though, and it's kind of weird to me. But maybe thats because I'm used to the idea of really long hair?

So tell me ladies & gents, what do you consider long hair? I don't mean state-of-mind (like someone who treats their hair very nice and carefully), but physical appearance. I know everyone has a different opinion on this.

(I'm one of those people that think a certain length looks long on someone else, but looks and feels short on me. I think it's my lack of height :shrug:)

lora410
April 14th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I think BSL and longer are long. I feel like my hair is really short though; eventhough it's almost BSL length.

pinkprincess
April 14th, 2008, 08:03 AM
i think hip+ is long
but then i did think waist was long until like now, im a few inches away from it

Miss Murphy
April 14th, 2008, 08:05 AM
For me, BSL is long-ish, and long starts at waist.

But that's probably because mine is at BSL at the moment - it'll probably shift as I grow along :)

birthmarkie
April 14th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I consider my hair long in real life because compared to other people's hair, it is longer. My hair has been much shorter than what I have now for much of my life. Also, whenever I make a meez or simpsonize myself, the category of hair that matches my hair is labeled "long." My hair is shoulderblade length. I will consider long by LHC standards when it reaches my waist or gets to BSL or a little longer. It is a shifting goalpost.

wolf girl
April 14th, 2008, 08:10 AM
IMHO I say for women long is waist and really long is hip and beyond. But for guys, APL is long and waist and beyond is really long :) I hold them to different standards. :p LOL

spidermom
April 14th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I've always thought of APL as long, but my hair didn't feel long to me until it passed my waist.

Zindell
April 14th, 2008, 08:57 AM
BSL and longer...

mommy101405
April 14th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Having been a short hair person for a while I consider my hair long if I can manage to get it into a ponytail without and clips :D

freznow
April 14th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Mid back + is long on other people; but I still don't think my hair is all that long. It's definitely not short anymore, but for some reason I'll look at waist and for some reason it seems longer than mine; not to mention when I look at someone with classic +, it'll take a while before my hair gets there.

Amoretti
April 14th, 2008, 10:08 AM
In real life BSL is long but on the LHC my perception changes somewhat. LOL. It depends on where I am. When I look at photos of my own hair at waist or even TB I think it's short compared to now but of course, that's only because I'm comparing.

SarieQ
April 14th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I didn't start to consider my own hair as long until I reached midback. BSL or shorter just doesn't seem long to me.

Guenever
April 14th, 2008, 10:11 AM
LHC has reeeeeally changed my outlook:
Before waist+ was very long.. Now:

pixie - shoulders: short
shoulders -waist: medium long
waist - classic: long-ish long
classic - knees: long
Knees - beyond: superlong!

BrianaFineHair
April 14th, 2008, 10:26 AM
In my opinion, long hair begins when it reaches juuuuust past the shoulders.

jessie58
April 14th, 2008, 11:11 AM
For me, waist and beyond is long hair.

Loviatar
April 14th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I've normally said BSL or mid-back (for guys who don't wear bras!) but my old hairdresser used to say once it was past shoulders, it was long.

I guess I would go with APL and longer, if I had to make a serious decision!

Meli
April 14th, 2008, 11:30 AM
In my opinion:
APL to waist: semi-long
Waist to tailbone: long
Tailbone to midthigh/knee: very long
Knee+ : extremely long
Which means my hair is *only* long at the moment... In other words, not long enough :p

Alun
April 14th, 2008, 11:39 AM
IMHO hair is long if it looks long from the front when you put it back behind the shoulders, which is a roundabout way of saying longer than shoulder length, but including the explanation why.

I think most people in RL would come up with something similar, but most people here would say something longer than that because:

1) Too long on LHC distorts your perception, LOL!

2) Using any normal RL definition would mean admitting that as many as 50% of women have "long hair", even if only about 2% of men do, which loses most of the exclusivity of being a longhaired person. Nobody wants to be part of the common "riff-raff"!

aney
April 15th, 2008, 11:32 AM
To me mid-back is long-is and waist is long!

CurlyNinja
April 15th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I think of waist as long, but I know many people consider my BSL hair long.

Euphony
April 15th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I never considered bsl long, even before LHC. But I think that's because my hair was stuck at bsl, it would break at that length and never get any longer. Eventually it would start looking very fried so I'd cut it off. I guess I always thought waist was long, now I'm past waist and LHC has distorted my perception...I guess I just don't know what is long now. Anything longer than my hair at any given moment :grin:

AJoifulNoise
April 15th, 2008, 12:18 PM
When I first started growing, I thought BSL was long. I'm pretty sure that was the longest I'd every grown it. Now, I tend to lean toward waist as being long hair.

Though, I'm not consistant. I saw a beautiful head of BSL hair the other day and I thought "wow, that's some gorgeous long hair!" And then I wished mine was that long, only to realize mine is quite a bit longer than that! An interesting moment.

Alaskanheart
April 15th, 2008, 12:34 PM
In my area APL and BSL are pretty common, especially on the 25 and under group, and because of the popularity of extentions in So-cal .But still long because Im not quite there yet.

Waist or longer is long on LHC.

If I see damaged long hair, my brain doesnt compute it as being long at all, but I am always pleasantly surprised to see Waist hair that is healthy and with a blunt hemline where I live.I guess thats the impressive long to me.

PseudoScot
April 15th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I'm one of these self-blind people who don't consider myself to have long hair [I've been a longhair for 10 yrs+] but I realize that's just my own weird perception.

So for me, classic is long. On men, past shoulders is probably long. I've not really been able to look at it objectively for awhile :o

Gylfi
April 15th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I notice that I'm frequently the person with the longest hair almost everywhere that I go. I don't think that my hair is all that long - maybe because I still intend to grow it plenty longer than it already is! I would define anything beyond tailbone length as long :)

MadHatter
April 15th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Long on other people is BSL and beyond, long on me is waist and beyond.

AJoifulNoise
April 15th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Though, I also have to say, that as I grow "long" hair is always longer than mine. It just never seems long to me!

Faepirate
April 15th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Long for me is waist and beyond.
LHC hasn't changed my perception - I always have considered anything between about shoulders and waist to be "medium" length hair. I remember the first time I found out that BSL was supposed to be "long" I was rather surprised. I guess I've had long hair for most of my life if that's the case! It's the longest it's ever been at the moment, and it's just about waist length. STILL doesn't feel long, really.

prosperina
April 15th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Even before I came to LHC, like several years before, I was always amazed that I'd get charged for long hair at the salon or hairdressers. I mean, I'm sorry, folks APL isn't long. Even by RL standards it just can't be! Although I guess many would consider it long.

I think long hair begins somewhere after mid back as it approaches waist. LHC standards are probably waist length.

flapjack
April 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I think waist and below is long. Between shoulders and waist is medium length and anything not long enough to touch the shoulders is very short. My opinion is very skewed, though.

KaeleyAnne
April 15th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I think that BSL is long-ish, between BSL and waist is long, and beyond waist is really long. When I was younger, I thought that hair should be waist-length before counting as "long," but my opinion changes as I'm around more and more people with shorter hair.

WritingPrincess
April 15th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I consider hip to TB long on other people, especially IRL. But I feel like my hair won't be long until it's at least classic. :shrug:

madisonclare
April 15th, 2008, 02:25 PM
TO me BSL is long.

Remke
April 15th, 2008, 02:28 PM
From waist is long to me.

Jorchet
April 15th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Since lurking around LHC i think my "long hair" perception changed. It used to be that BSL was pretty long to me but now I consider more around the waist or hip area long hair.

Same here for me. When I was a kid (around 10) my hair was past my bra strap when dry - that's the longest my hair's ever been, btw, been trying to grow it long again but when I let it grow too long I end up sacrificing my curls, so I trim often - now that I've been around LHCers I find that below bra strap is only the beginning of long, if you know what I mean...it's just "about to get long".

Oh, and Amoretti, your hair looks great! Love your signature pic!:)

Nat242
April 15th, 2008, 05:00 PM
MBL plus on other people...hip on me!

I was going to say waist, but I think my hair is just about at waist length, and it doesn't feel long!

-- Natalie

zift
April 15th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Ummm if long means not average ,than I will consider it starts from classic. Because I see a lot of hip/tailbone length hair. And honestly it doesn't look that much long to me. But sometimes on tall people with very thick hair waist length might look quite long too. Weird. Anyway I believe thigh length is very long and knee and beyond would be super duper long and ankle/floor might be the coolest longest ever :lol:

It's strange that our long perceptions change with time as our hair grows longer. I remember tlhs had a long hair model with wurly light brown hair at the opening page. And I used to think WOW her hair is so long! Last month or so I was surfing the archives and saw that picture of the lady again and couldn't believe my eyes. Her hair looked so short...like mine:lol: Well the picture didn't change but I got used to seeing my hair(which has got a lot longer) in the mirror so her hair looked kind of shorter to my eyes:D

TheHuman
April 15th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I think it all depends on the person. My hair is around mid back but it's over 28 inches long. That doesn't look very long on me because I'm tall, but it would look long for short people.

buttons
April 15th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Ohh I forgot to add that to me it also depends on how used to seeing the person I am. For instance, my best friend. I've seen her every day for over 4 years and just today did I notice that her hair is past waist now, and It didn't look that long to me. I think its because she's always had hair around that length. But If she were to cut it back to BSL I would probably look back and remember how long her hair was before. Don't know if I'm making sense here :)

On most other people BSL looks pretty long, but because I'm a shorty mine won't til atleast waist.

thunderlilies
April 15th, 2008, 06:23 PM
On myself, I feel like tailbone and longer is nice and "long". On others, I think anything past waist I consider long.

michelle99
April 15th, 2008, 06:29 PM
BSL to Waist Length is very long to me. Beyond WL (at this very moment) seem unattainable to me :rolleyes:

meichigo
April 16th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I suppose technically BSL is long but I don't consider it attention-worthy long (no offense meant) until about waist length... and properly good and long is hip or longer. Since my trim (it's so bittersweet, I keep bringing it up...) my hair is between waist and hip length (3" ish past my waist), and it feels kinda short, especially when watching hair styling demos and seeing how long and lovely some of you have your hair. (Lady Godiva's "log roll" video... I don't think I would be able to handle all that, but, WOW is that some beautiful hair. So smooth and full and shiny....)

Nevermore
April 16th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I consider true long hair to start at tailbone length and be absolute at classic and below. BSL isn't at all long to me, on myself or other people, and waist is a transition length in between short and long. It feels like a pixie when I look at longhairaddiction videos on youtube and people have floor length and beyond hair, but I'm certainly glad to have waist length hair because it's longer than it's ever been :)

Naluin
April 16th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I tend to think of anything above APL as short. APL looks like medium length, but it would probably feel long to me because my hair hasn't been that long in ages, if ever.

At waist, I start to think of hair as uncommonly long. Beyond classic, I tend to think of hair as impressively long.

I have the same standards for men and women. I think it's just because it's not until hair reaches APL that I start to pay attention to how long it is. :shrug:

1nuitblanche
April 16th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I guess BSL/mid-back is where long begins for me, but it's kind of subjective. When I had really short pixie hair, I thought that anyone who could put their hair up had long hair!

jojo
April 16th, 2008, 04:48 PM
what is long depends really on what your goals are, for e.g if like me your growing to classic then that is what you perceive as long, same goes if your growing to APL, if that make sense.

Overall I start classing BSL as long but I guess when i get there i will think that it is short, and again when im waist.

tennies
April 16th, 2008, 08:10 PM
For me, having short hair all my life, long hair is just past shoulder length! I still view people with hair just past shoulder length as having long hair.

Vela
April 16th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Well, this is about where it is in my head:
Chin and up:Way too short.
Chin to APL: Still too short but getting better.j
APL-BSL:Short
BSL-HighWaist:Medium
Waist-Hip:Longmedium
Hip-MidButt:Long
Midb-highthigh:Quite long
Anything longer: Very long.

Unless it is a male or a very tall person, that is how it works in my head.
At this point my hair is 'Long' by my above standerds, but I still feel like its ubershort!

squiggyflop
April 16th, 2008, 08:19 PM
past waist is long.... ive never considered apl long and i only considered bsl long on a few people

yogachic
April 16th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Between APL & BSL, and longer is Long to me.

Xanthippe
April 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Past waist length is long to me.

Anything BSL or less is short. Below the shoulders is super short. For me, it goes with the curve of the back. If it is before the shoulder hump, then it is short. If it gets over the hump and lies down (around waist) then it is long.

Of course anything longer than my hair is super long! :D

zelah
April 16th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Before I came here, I thought long hair was about APL, and really long hair was BSL. Now I think long hair is anywhere below BSL, and really long hair is after WL.

And even after all this I still don't think my hair is very long!

sweetkandi
April 16th, 2008, 08:39 PM
For me waist and beyond is long. :)

wintersun99
April 18th, 2008, 12:38 PM
BSL/MBL is long to me, at present...I wonder if my opinion will change once I finally reach this goal??????

Katrina
May 23rd, 2008, 04:33 PM
For me long starts at waist, really long starts at tailbone.

julya
May 24th, 2008, 03:17 AM
BSL seems like long hair to me.

florenonite
May 24th, 2008, 07:04 AM
In real life, the long side of BSL is long, as it's really not that common. However, on LHC (and myself) waist length is long, as there are so many people here with long hair that the average is somewhat skewed in comparison to the general population. For men in real life, I'd say the long side of shoulder-length is long (when it's more than just the scruffy shag sort of thing a lot of teenage boys have), and here about APL-BSL. I suppose, for me, my distinctions are based on what's not particularly common. If I lived a century ago I'd probably think of classic as long for women, but now I think of that as super-long.

Katurday
May 24th, 2008, 07:33 AM
APL is semi-long, below bra length is long, waist and below is super long.

I think thats how most of society sees it.

EdG
May 24th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I consider shoulder-length to be medium; waist-length to be long; and classic-length and beyond to be very long.

These standards apply to both women and men. I'm an equal-opportunity hair-typer. :D
Ed

greek_lady
May 24th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I consider BSL "OK", anything above that is short.
Long starts at waist and from TB onwards it's really long.

Mastermindsgirl
May 24th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Anything longer than BSL is long to me.

Tap Dancer
May 24th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I still consider above the shoulders to be short, shoulder length to a few inches below the shoulders to be medium, and anything past that is long hair.

Um Enis
May 24th, 2008, 09:48 AM
If I was describing someone to another (neither on LHC) I would consider BSL to shoulder length medium longish and BSL to waist long and below waist really long. Below classic would be a special desription unto itself.

florenonite
May 24th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I find it interesting that quite a lot of people's perceptions of what is long hair relate to their own hair length. I know I'm generalising, but there seem to be more people with shorter hair (BSL and above) who have shorter requirements for 'long' hair than people with longer hair.

Dianyla
May 24th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I find it interesting that quite a lot of people's perceptions of what is long hair relate to their own hair length. I know I'm generalising, but there seem to be more people with shorter hair (BSL and above) who have shorter requirements for 'long' hair than people with longer hair.
This is very true, and it works both ways. My own perception about hair length is biased in the other direction, probably because I've had classic+ length since my teenage years.

Short: from scalp to shoulder length
Medium: between shoulders and hip/tailbone
Long: classic to knees
Very Long: below knee-length

I generally don't notice hair on strangers until it's around tailbone-length, unless it has particularly unusual curls, color, or thickness. :shrug:

Phalaenopsis
May 25th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I think waist is definitely long, BSL I used to think long but now I think it is *getting long, but not really long yet*.
I think hiplength already is quite an astonishing length, but I consider tailbonelength to be reeaally long.

fatmoogas
May 25th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I guess everything is relative.

ilovelonghair
May 25th, 2008, 01:29 AM
To me everything above shoulders is short hair and anything below long, longer, very long, superlong etc.
I never understand how some people consider certain lenghts above shoulders still as long.

eadwine
May 25th, 2008, 03:49 AM
On others BSL is quite long already, but on me (1 inch shy of it) it seems short.

As I get longer I am sure this will change downward :lol:

sapphire-o
May 25th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Waist and longer is long to me. Otherwise it can't produce a braid long enough to whip around. :D

jesamyn
May 25th, 2008, 05:58 PM
My perceptions don't see to apply to myself. When I had hair that was between BSL and waist, I would only occasionally think 'wow, my hair is getting long'. On other people, that length IS long to me.

Anyway, other descriptions:
short = below shoulder
medium = shoulder to about APL
getting long = APL to BSL
long = mid-back to classic
really long = classic +

Patrycja
May 25th, 2008, 09:06 PM
well.Hard to answer that,honestly.I think that waist/hip is super dee duper long but then I come in here and I see gals like Dianyla.That changes my whole perception.
then-I sit at home watching TV and I feel my hair brush the back of my upper arm and I'm all like "wow! I've got long hair!"

long hair to me can vary :)

n3m3sis42
May 26th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I think that anything around or past waist is long. I think maybe anything past classic qualifies as "super long" to me, but I'm not really sure.

I accept that in the "real world," anything past BSL is probably considered long, but I don't see my own hair as long and it's close to waist length now. But that could be a bit of hair-orexia, or maybe due to the fact that my ends are a little on the thin side.

MermaidGirl
May 26th, 2008, 08:49 PM
... If I see damaged long hair, my brain doesnt compute it as being long at all ...

Same here. There's a girl where I work that has "long" hair in that the longest of the straggly pieces she has is near waist-length. But I'm a quality vs. quantity type of gal, and three strands of hair near waist-length does not long hair make IMHO! She has straight hair and when I see her from the back, the bulk/nice part of her hair is around BSL and the rest is pretty much in shreds. I automatically think "She would have nice, healthy-looking hair if she just cut that nasty, raggedy stuff off!" Other people have actually referred to her hair as "ratty-looking," so I'm not the only that thinks this! But, some people hold on to their "length" even if it compromises the overall beauty of their hair.

Another girl I work with has tailbone-length, black, curly hair and her ends have tapered dramatically, so the bulk or good part of her hair is hip and above. However, because of her curls, the fairytale ends actually don't look bad on her. IMHO, curly hair is really the only type that can pull of fairtale ends and still have pretty hair overall that doesn't shout "I desperately need a trim!"

So, I guess for me, long hair starts at waist-length (as long as it has a nice hemline)!

Alun
May 26th, 2008, 10:24 PM
So, I guess for me, long hair starts at waist-length (as long as it has a nice hemline)!

I guess I don't have long hair, then:hmm:

connie
May 26th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I think BSL is long, APL is medium, and anything below hip is really long. But for guys, I consider anything below shoulder length long.

Philomela
May 26th, 2008, 11:07 PM
TB+ is "long" in my frame of mind.

MermaidGirl
May 26th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I guess I don't have long hair, then:hmm:

On the contrary! You have lovely long hair!

I guess I forgot to qualify my comment by saying that what I consider long hair is totally different for women than for men. On men, I consider long hair to be anything shoulder-length or longer. At shoulders/shoulder blades is long, mid-back is really long, waist and lower is super long and anything beyond the bottom of a guy's bottom :D is ultra long. JMHO!

goldenwaves
May 27th, 2008, 06:03 AM
I think hair is 'long' at about waist length. :)

boukje
May 27th, 2008, 06:17 AM
I will say on others past waist is long, on me I would say classic (I am past tailbone now and it still feels 'short' ).

jtl45
May 27th, 2008, 06:39 AM
I can only speak to my own length, but I started to feel long the first time I was able to put my hair in a ponytail. Im waist length now and probably go a bit longer!
Jim

Les
May 27th, 2008, 07:02 AM
My eyes refuse to see hair as long until it is past waist length.

lilalong
May 27th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I call hair long, when it's at shoulder length.
Anything longer than waist is "very long" in my book.

Alva
May 27th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Waist or longer I see as long.

Finoriel
May 27th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Everything above shoulder is some sort of short-cut for me - so in the reverse everything past shoulder must be long :graduate: I think.

domonic_uk
May 27th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Anything longer than elbow length I think

honeybunch
May 27th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I think at least waist length is long.

CurlyOne
May 27th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Where I live there are a lot of moms with the obligatory pixie cut/bob so to me anything close to BSL is long. Whenever I see anything longer than that I look twice.

RavennaNight
May 28th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I would say waist is long. I look at my BSL hair and think its still short. I wonder if height has anything to do with it. If I were shorter would my hair feel or seem longer?

socks
May 28th, 2008, 05:40 PM
On other people, tailbone is longish and classic+ is long. My hair still doesn't feel that long to me most of the time, though. Only when it annoys me by tickling the backs of my calves or by whacking things a yard or two away from me does it feel long.

Buddaphlyy
May 31st, 2008, 03:03 PM
Depends on the person. I have a friend who is 5'1" and has past wsl hair (on her), but I don't consider it long because of her height. Then I have a friend who is 6'2" and has bsl braids (he's a boy though) and I consider his hair long because he's so tall.

For me personally, I will start considering my hair long when I get past shoulder length.

Periwinkle
June 1st, 2008, 05:37 AM
I'd say that BSL hair is long, because most people who have cuts that have just grown out normally get it chopped again before it reaches BSL unless they like their hair long. LHC has changed my perception of waist length, though: I used to think it was super super long, but now it's just 'long'.

Mitzy
June 1st, 2008, 05:43 AM
To me, anything past shoulders is long, but waist and longer is super-long or TLHC-long! On others, that is. On myself, anything longer that it has been recently is long-ish. So right now it is long-ish. In another year or so, my own will be, to me, long. It's all relative, I guess. Anyway, I realize I have very different standards for my own hair than for others. I don't believe my own will grow much past waist, btw, as it has never been longer than that. Most of the long hairs in my family, hit terminal at between waist and classic. We all have heavy coarse hair, too, so that might be a good thing. We will see. You all can remind me of this post when I hit knee length, okay?

tiny_teesha
June 2nd, 2008, 07:11 AM
ok BSl is getting "longish" for me....Waist is "long" from there to below the bottom is "very Long" and from classic to knee is "REALLY VERY long" and past knee is "extremely long" and beyond ancle is "too long"- just because i find hair that long to be soooo hard to look after and impracticle to leave loose, it would drag behind you on the floor!!! But i just reached waist, and because the ends are still V shaped and thin i still don't feel it as long. Hip will feel long :)

LynnM
June 5th, 2008, 12:11 PM
IMHO I say for women long is waist and really long is hip and beyond. But for guys, APL is long and waist and beyond is really long :) I hold them to different standards. :p LOL

ditto here!

LynnM
June 5th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Depends on the person. I have a friend who is 5'1" and has past wsl hair (on her), but I don't consider it long because of her height. Then I have a friend who is 6'2" and has bsl braids (he's a boy though) and I consider his hair long because he's so tall.

For me personally, I will start considering my hair long when I get past shoulder length.

So us shorties would never have "long" hair? :cry: (I'm 4'11"!) :D

I do understand that, though. There is definitely more "length" for a taller person than for a shorter one at the same points - APL, BSL, etc.

I wonder how terminal length is affected by height??

chotee
June 6th, 2008, 11:58 PM
I think Classic is long and suits many. chotee

Pikkukala
June 10th, 2008, 02:19 AM
For a long time I've classed anything longer than my own hair as long. I guess the logic is that I still don't class my own hair as long - even though it is now past waist length. :)

Amoretti
June 10th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I think BSL is "long" in the real world. It was once my goal but when I got there I realized it wasn't long enough so I got to TB. Then that seemed too short. LOL. Now I'm at classic and slightly beyond and still wondering if it's ever going to be long enough. LOL.

DotDotDot
June 10th, 2008, 07:38 AM
My perception of long hair hasn't changed since I joined LHC, but that's probably because my hair isn't as long now as it was a few years pre-LHC. :silly: It's a heck of a lot healthier, though! I'm like Pikkukala; I've always classified anything longer than my hair as "long," but I do include myself in that category. Sometimes I include hip length too, but it depends on the person.

stargrape
June 10th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Anything approaching BSL is long to me.

Haldir
June 10th, 2008, 05:24 PM
For a long time I've classed anything longer than my own hair as long. I guess the logic is that I still don't class my own hair as long - even though it is now past waist length. :)
Aha glad I'm not the only one:D

Long_hair_guy
June 11th, 2008, 03:48 AM
hip+

My hair is getting near to my hip (around 2 or 3 inches to go) and I still don't count my hair has long

morgwn
June 11th, 2008, 03:55 AM
I used to consider BSL to mid-back long, but now it's probably hip-length or lower. That's probably because I'm now to mid-back and heading toward waist-length and it still doesn't feel long. :) I think no matter where my hair gets down to I'll always consider knee-length or longer very long!

Alley Cat
June 11th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I consider mine long at waist and since I have stopped comparing my hair to lengths here and don't have a set goal I have gone back to thinking any length beyond shoulder length is long. If it flows and you can swing it around it's long. :)

Loreyanne_H
June 11th, 2008, 06:20 AM
After two years of constant growing and reading and caring about my hair, my hair perception dramatically changed: before I was sure that "long hair" meant hair from shoulders onwards, now I think long hair is from elbows onwards!!!

Actually my hair is almos-elbow long and for the first time in my life I consider it "starting to be long", even if for the rest of the world its "too long...":o

Silver Strands
June 11th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Waist to Tailbone is long to me.
Tailbone to Classic is very long.
And below that is super long.

tiny_teesha
June 11th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I used to think BSL, but its pretty common here, so i changed my mind to waist. But there is quite a few, people with longer then waist? There is like 2% of them, so i think Hip (next goal down) is LONG, but i still think waist is long. :)
i think if I see hair past the butt IRL my jaw will drop :)

Sana
June 11th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I consider tb to be long & anything beyon classic super long.

jojo
June 14th, 2008, 04:59 PM
It would be interesting for us all to post in a couple of years on from now, to see if our perceptions of long have changed! I bet £10 it has!

Miuku
June 15th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Long starts at BSL, medium starts at the point when you can get your hair in a ponytail. Anything shorter that that is short.

Super long starts when it's long enough for its owner to sit on it. :)

Katrina
June 16th, 2008, 03:45 AM
For me long starts at waist (:cheese:) and superlong at tailbone.

Hastings
June 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Long for me begins at BSL or waist and superlong would be past the bottom. It depends on the person though. I didn't think my hair looked that long at BSL but now at waist it finally *looks* long.

harley mama
June 16th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I've always thought of APL as long, but my hair didn't feel long to me until it passed my waist.

Same with me. I still have days that I feel like my hair isn't long.
I keep waiting for that magic moment when I look in the mirror
and say- Wow, my hair is really getting long now!

xrosiex
June 16th, 2008, 04:57 PM
To me long is at least waist.:)

Brianna
June 16th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I feel that long begins more or less at BSL. It's only now that I've reached that point myself that I feel like my hair's starting to get long. :)

Moiraine
June 16th, 2008, 05:08 PM
My hair was waist-length when I was a teenager and I would like to get back to that length again...to me long would be tailbone with a straight hem:blossom:

kwaniesiam
June 16th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I agree, it depends on height and how their hair looks on them/how they carry it. On me, I don't feel like my hair is going to be really long until I'm past waist again, but other may view long as BSL, or past classic.

SweetPea88
June 16th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I think in the real world BSL is long but on LHC I think long hair starts at around waist. Of course I say this and think that my own hair is short! :p I can be looking at a picture of someone with BSL+ hair and say that their hair is "sooo long" and forget that my hair is actually longer.

chrissy-b
June 17th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Waist or longer...

paper
June 17th, 2008, 05:06 PM
BSL and longer.

cherryblossom
June 24th, 2008, 12:15 PM
waist and longer, but only because my hair has grown and is nearly waist (2 inches off!) so it has changed. It used to be BRL, but i guess your perception changes according to your own growth.

LongForLife
June 24th, 2008, 12:42 PM
To me, I don't really consider hair to be long in any way until it is at least BSL. But I don't really even notice it on someone, as long, unless it is waist or longer.

But I have had mine at tailbone, or below for many years. So I think it is perspective. I always think it's funny when someone comments that a "hollywood" person has long hair, and its like shoulder length or so.

LongForLife
June 24th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Oh I agree with another poster about guys though... I see them differently. So a guy with shoulder length hair, I would consider to be longish. ;) I think that is based on the majority of hair that is seen.

redcelticcurls
June 24th, 2008, 07:11 PM
It depends on hair type. A 1A at APL will not seem long to me, but a 4A at APL will becuase her hair is probably at her waist stretched.

IRL, I consider BSL and longer to be long.

mamachanse
June 24th, 2008, 09:20 PM
In my workplace and among my group of friends I have been "the one with long hair" for a few years now. It's funny because I'm just approaching waist and my hair doesn't seem that long to me. Maybe I've been spending too much time around here. LOL

I think when I start to sit on my hair I'll consider it long.

willowcandra
June 25th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I think Hip is a guarenteed long length. waist is fairly easy and not so unusual.

Radulfr
June 26th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Long hair to me is within about three inches of waistlength - and beyond.

In the general society I guess it's anything BSL and beyond.

sexyjacksparrow
June 28th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Past BSL is long to me. I don't know if my perception would change if I had waist length or longer hair though.

Kerry xx

tigerlily83
June 30th, 2008, 04:07 PM
For me..... bsl would be long. Since I've been lurking here I now see that truly "long" is waist length and beyond!

crystal_89
July 5th, 2008, 07:16 AM
On others, waist length hair is long. On me, I don't know what I'll think is long. Maybe tailbone? But, then again... I thought waist would be long on me, too...

janaana
July 5th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I would call any hairstyle where most of the hair would stay behind the shoulder on its own long hair but it's taken me a while to work out why I feel like that.

This is because:

I think this is the length where you can begin to do quite a variety of up styles, which is a long hair indicatator to me

the ends often start to need more careful or different treatment to the roots because they often are too far from the scalp to benefit from the natural oils and they've had a couple of years worth of lifestyle and environmental damage from washing and styling methods, hot sunny summers, air conditioning, cold winters, central heating depending on the wearer's location; before this length, unless the person has really been punishing their hair, the length tends to be more consistent in quality.

Sarahmoon
July 5th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Beyond BSL is "long", beyond hip is "long!!!" and beyond classic is :thud:

Tristessa
July 6th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I agree with Janaana; any hair length where you can pull it into a ponytail and start doing updos to it seems like long to me. Just-below-shoulder also seems to look a lot longer on other people than it did when I had hair that long.

VanillaTresses
July 6th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I would consider truly "long" hair to start at about waist.

nappywomyn
July 6th, 2008, 03:31 PM
On others, I consider BSL+/MBL to be 'long'.

On myself, I've no clue!! :lol: I think once I'm APL, I'll 'feel' longish.

Golden21
July 8th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I would say bsl is long. Not many people are that long in real life.

jenna
July 8th, 2008, 05:50 PM
for IRL stuff, it seems that everyone thinks anything past BSL is long.
for LHC, it seems like waist+ is long, at least it is to me.

so i'm going with waist+ as being long.

lady_hero
July 8th, 2008, 08:14 PM
To me, anything past BSL is pretty long. But, I'm going for waist ;-)

skeena
July 8th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I used to think BSL, but now that I have it just past that, I'm noticing just how common it is lol. I'd say waist is my new definition of long, it seems like it's much rarer to see someone with hair beyond BSL.

skeena
July 8th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Sorry! Accidentally double post

brixxgirl16
July 9th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Waist and beyond. Where I live a lot of people have BSL length hair, but practically no one has anything longer.
I can't see why, because in my opinion, BSL is when you leave the realm of short-enough-to-be-low-maintenance and start getting into real styling and caretaking anyway.
hmmm....

Ohio Sky
July 9th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Looking aorund, BSL is long by normal standards, but I don't stop and look at someone and think "oooh, their hair is so long!" unless its at least hip. :shrug:

brightonwoman
July 10th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I agree that perceptions change (and vary from person to person of course). I have always had long hair (waist + or -)so when it got cut to bra-strap length that felt really short to me! When I finally took the plunge to take off ALL the split ends and cut it almost to my shoulders, well, I felt nearly bald. :p
My DH calls hair long if it passes the shoulders and stays put behind them(ie, doesn't flip over their shoulder when they turn their head). I consider it long if it's waist-ish...on the other hand, I don't stop to think "hey, that's long hair" until it's at least hip/fingertip.

bikerblue
July 13th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Waist length and that's my goal.

Country Cowcurl
July 16th, 2008, 04:28 AM
i had a best friend in high school who had knee-length hair....so knee's standard for me ;)

rockkcor
July 16th, 2008, 01:08 PM
After BSL it is 'longish'

Long is 'classic length'

After that it is 'very long'

Floor is 'freakish' - but that is my goal!

:)

embee
July 16th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Longer hair is brastrap length. ("Longer" means longer than the current styles...)

*Long* hair is waist or beyond, mostly classic or beyond. My hair is now just at classic, and I think of it as just barely long. Unfortunately it's been this same length for over a year, so I very much fear it's at term. :(

ZaBasDa
July 16th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Long-ish is near waist. Hip seems to be my standard for long. Past classic is quite long.

Melisande
July 16th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Longer than BSL is getting there.

Waist is longish.

Hip is nearly long.

TB is quite long, Classic is really long.

I'm going for TB at least.

Aisha25
July 16th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Classic and beyond is long to me anything above TB is short.

tinah
July 17th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I'm right there with "everyone who's hair is longer than mine. . .":D

Paradise Lost
July 18th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Waist and beyond is long for me. Past classic is very long.

Samara Morgan
July 18th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Like others have been saying, the way I think of long hair has changed :) On other people I now think waist-length is long, whereas before I would have said tailbone. On myself I haven't got to a length yet where I really see my hair as long lol :lol:

lynlora
July 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM

I use the same standard for both genders which is mid back and beyond.

morgwn
July 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Funny enough, I've noticed that the longer my own hair gets, the longer others' has to be for me to consider it to be long. Now that I'm nearing waist, I find that waist-length doesn't look that long and I may have to re-evaluate my standards. :D I may be up to the hip or tailbone length for it to be considered long in my book; between APL and waist is medium and anything above APL is short. I'm still deciding though. I need to hit waist-length myself first. :)

Marcipangris
July 20th, 2008, 08:05 PM
pixies: short
SL: medium
BSL: long
Classic: crazy long! I want this :D

Tressie
July 21st, 2008, 06:47 PM
I think BSL is probably "long" hair in general, but my perception has changed since joining this community!:o

tiny_teesha
July 21st, 2008, 07:30 PM
I also think when the hair is over half your site you cannot deny it as long! Which is normally around TB/Classic.
Though i think i already mentioned personally i find waist and longer as long, but i'm at waist, and it no longer feels long. I aim for TB (dream is knee but it won't happen).

Ndnlady
July 21st, 2008, 08:31 PM
I consider tb long hair. People keep saying that my hair is long because it's hip length but I never do think its really that long!:)

CountessDeJager
July 21st, 2008, 09:15 PM
I know I'm going to be in the minority with my view, and probably not the way you'd expect, but when hair gets maybe two inches past the shoulders it is long to me. See? Doesn't take much. :) Now that's when it is coming from the top to reach that length so it can swing about. For me I think it is noticing that motion that makes me see hair is long. Sure my hair is long to me too but I'm happy to have long be such a big category.

kowlrea
August 16th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I consider WL to be long , esp WL on me .. but im an overachiever

IRL I would consider full APL long

EvaSimone
August 16th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I think BSL is long and everything past that is on the really long side.

Personally at waist length I don't feel long but I know other people think that it is long, I don't think I'd feel like it was long until I was able to sit on it...

I don't really notice BSL length hair on strangers unless it's really pretty or unusual. But I will notice waist length and will definitely notice hip/tailbone.

Solange
August 17th, 2008, 01:19 PM
On someone else, around mid-back; on myself, at least classic length. :O)

pariate
August 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I don't think my perception has changed too much. When my hair has been BSL and shorter in the past, people have told me that I have "such long" hair... and I never agreed! I felt it was mid-length. But I guess by most people's standards, BSL is long. Ho hum.

Waist length and beyond! :cheers:

D-eath
August 18th, 2008, 03:26 AM
On someone else, around mid-back; on myself, at least classic length. :O)
100% agree! Every time my hair looks longer it's too short for me. :D

WavyGirl
August 18th, 2008, 04:44 AM
I thought I'd already posted here but I guess not. I always thought shoulder to APL was medium and BSL to waist was long. Anything past hip was super-long. Past finger-tip in my mind meant special hair genes. :p I got into a few arguments about it when I was younger because I would be calling my hair medium when everyone around me was saying it was long. It's only just starting to feel long to me now, at waist, and I'm realising that I really want super-long.

Sudenmorsian
August 18th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Long hair is everything past brastrap length. Long enough is always about two inches away from one's current length ;)

thankyousir74
August 18th, 2008, 10:20 AM
APL and longer.... I'm gonna be happy as long as I can do a decent braid.

pariate
August 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Like others here, I do evaluate hair differently on other people. On someone other than myself I consider BSL long! Not on me though ;) Good ol' double standards :lol:

plainjanegirl
August 18th, 2008, 11:20 AM
On me I feel like waist length is short, but if I see someone else with the same length then I think oh they have pretty long hair.

Alun
August 18th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I know I'm going to be in the minority with my view, and probably not the way you'd expect, but when hair gets maybe two inches past the shoulders it is long to me. See? Doesn't take much. :) Now that's when it is coming from the top to reach that length so it can swing about. For me I think it is noticing that motion that makes me see hair is long. Sure my hair is long to me too but I'm happy to have long be such a big category.

I agree, but even though my hair is way past that it still feels short if I stand next to you, LOL!

WavyGirl
August 19th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Long hair is everything past brastrap length. Long enough is always about two inches away from one's current length ;)

LOL, that's so true. :D

Saranne772
August 19th, 2008, 10:38 AM
My perception of "long" hair is hair that is midthigh and longer. I guess partly because that is a length I have never reached so far. However, I am just at classic and its starting to feel long to me again.

trolleypup
August 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I thought I'd already posted here but I guess not. I always thought shoulder to APL was medium and BSL to waist was long. Anything past hip was super-long. Past finger-tip in my mind meant special hair genes.
Like me, you probably posted on the old thread and neglected this one. ;)

For me, long is about waist, very long is past tailbone, omgwthbbq long is past classic, and free ride is longer than me[1].

Even from the front, there is a way that hair falls and moves when it is long that I notice.

[1] When I'm operating transit equipment, that is. Also, I'll bend the rules a bit for extreme longhairs.

LaurelSpring
August 19th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Myhair is BSL in the back with layers in the front and it feels very short to me even though its longer than its ever been. I dont think it will feel long until its close to waist. I now think of waist or longer as long.

Manako
August 19th, 2008, 11:23 AM
My hair is an inch or two past my shoulders, I would consider long to be APL. Which is to say long enough to have a decent braid or bun, as well as be beyond my current stage of having people wonder if I intend on shoulder-length or long hair.

My hair won't be long enough until it is at least mid-back, I definitely will be happy when I reach milestones in between though.

Dianyla
August 19th, 2008, 11:29 AM
For me, long is about waist, very long is past tailbone, omgwthbbq long is past classic, and free ride is longer than me[1].
<snip>
[1] When I'm operating transit equipment, that is. Also, I'll bend the rules a bit for extreme longhairs.
*puts token back in pocket*

*hops aboard*

:D

trolleypup
August 19th, 2008, 11:47 AM
*puts token back in pocket*

*hops aboard*
It occurs to me that I actually have two tokens that have a longhair on them. How could I have missed posting that here before?

Dianyla
August 19th, 2008, 11:48 AM
It occurs to me that I actually have two tokens that have a longhair on them. How could I have missed posting that here before?
:shrug:

Must've been distracted... :puppykisses:

trolleypup
August 19th, 2008, 11:51 AM
:shrug:

Must've been distracted... :puppykisses:
I think it was just the routine of mostly not crossing over the two disparate interests.

Alethia
August 19th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Long for me starts at waist, very long is classic (like proper full on classic, not just kissing it like me) and OMG long is mid thigh and beyond. Having said that, a person with iii hair at classic always packs more visual punch than a skinny like my i/ii

WavyGirl
August 20th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Like me, you probably posted on the old thread and neglected this one. ;) *snip*

Thanks for clearing that one up for me. I thought it was just one more sign of my incipient madness :silly:

Long for me starts at waist, very long is classic (like proper full on classic, not just kissing it like me) and OMG long is mid thigh and beyond. Having said that, a person with iii hair at classic always packs more visual punch than a skinny like my i/ii

Yup, those iiis can certainly turn heads. :) although i/iis have qualities that are appealling their own way.

Soniasonia
August 20th, 2008, 03:38 AM
For me, I think mid back is medium length, waist length is long hair in my opinion. Lol guess your idea of long hair changes when you grow it super long:P

Anje
August 20th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Kinda long (only on other people): Past clavicle length.
Long: waist-ish.
Fellow long-hair: hair must touch pants.

StrongWall
March 6th, 2010, 04:45 PM
waist and beyong
it's kinda funny that i google longhair styles and get people with bra strap length

Multiruus
March 7th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Hehe, its funny. Every hairsalong around here consideres shoulder lenght hair as long hair. Past few months my own viewpoint has totaly changed. I think about 2 inches past waistline is long for me. My own leanght (bsl atm) just seems so short compared to this beauties I see here.

Cirafly24
March 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
To me, longer than waist length is "long." Before LHC, I think my perspective was more like longer than BSL.

I've been paying extra for my "long hair" at salons since my hair hit shoulder length. What a racket ;)

Narya
March 8th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Thinking about it, I think I have no "standard" milestone or length where other people's hair starts to look long to me. I must be some kind of egotistical being because I consider long hair the hair that's as long as mine or longer.

I think it has to do with adjusting my self-image: several months ago waist-long hair was very long to me, now that I'm at waist myself it is just long (because if I consider my hair long -and have for many years, with the different lengths that covered- other people with my length have long hair to, and if it's shorter... then it may not be short, but not long either).

ETA: Whoah... I sound awfully self-centered and egoistic, don't I? :$

ChrissieM
March 8th, 2010, 03:32 PM
when I see people with long hair that gets a "ooh, long hair" response from me, it's usually anything longer than BSL.

Olde Soul
March 8th, 2010, 03:46 PM
For me, waist and longer constitutes truly long hair. It bugs me when anyone with hair longer than a pixie says they've got long hair. Just because it's not a buzz cut doesn't make it long. /rant

SpeakingEZ
March 9th, 2010, 04:37 AM
For me, waist and longer constitutes truly long hair. It bugs me when anyone with hair longer than a pixie says they've got long hair. Just because it's not a buzz cut doesn't make it long. /rant

Make that rant for a guy's hair and you have double my support. *gasp!* his hair is 3", it's SOOOOO long!!!! Pft. When I say I like men with long hair, I mean longer than mine. Not emo swish hair or grunge lazy past-due-cut hair. That just looks messy to me.

ETA: but I would feel a girl has long hair when it's a bit past waist. I'm about at waist and I don't feel like I have long hair again yet. It would probably need to be another 6" or so before I consider it long.

Suszi
March 9th, 2010, 05:02 AM
At BSL I’d say someone has long hair, when it is over waist length I’d say someone has very long hair.

sibiryachka
March 9th, 2010, 11:24 AM
My 7-year-old niece insists that my BSL hair is not long, only "medium". According to her, it won't be "long" until I get to waist. Brat.

Cleopatra18
March 9th, 2010, 11:47 AM
hip length + is long,, classic + is really long,,knee+ is so freaking long :D

merryhair
March 9th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I think "waist" length and beyond is longer for me. Hehee.. but even BSL looks longer on some girls.:p

Centelleo
March 9th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Somewhere between APL and BSL. If I have to constantly be conscientious of it while I sit/lean back or sleep (i.e. flip it up since I don't use a sleep cap or make sure it doesn't get tucked behind my back so movement isn't restricted), then that length is long to me.

Nae
March 9th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Okay, I personally feel anything beyond BSL is considered "long" I don't feel it is long but I would classify it as long and not short at that point. When I think of really long hair I think of hair starting at TB as getting seriously long.

I also googled "long hair" and got plenty of BSL range hair styles. I did find one interesting article which was talking about anything longer than hip length as "super long" and then it mentioned our lovely LHC as the go to place for long hairs. Called some of us a bit hair obsessed but I can't totally argue with that. Here is the link. http://www.greathairstyletips.com/styling-super-long-hair/

deviantkitten
March 10th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Well, on others, I consider WL to be long, but on me, when I pull it over my shoulders when it is down, it just doesn't look that long to me. I guess because i am a bigger gal and have broad shoulders and larger boobs, some of the length disappears a bit. And when I braid my hair in a single english braid and pull it over my shoulder, I easily lose 1/3 of length. But it is still waist length nonetheless. So, I guess for me, once I hit TB, I will finally be convinced my hair is long.

metalgypsy85
March 10th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I consider waist to be the start of long hair, depending on height.

enfys
March 10th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I think it's "long" once it's all behind your shoulders. APL or knee length hair would look similar from the front. If I was giving a description to the police I'd describe hair that length as "long". Very long real hair is past BSL.

On here, I consider past waist "long" and past classic "very long".

Sissy
March 10th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I consider tailbone or longer to be "long hair".

SlightlySoprano
March 10th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I think society has taught us to see any hair that is longer than shoulder as "long". Personally I think hair is medium length until about APL~BSLish where it becomes "long" (it depends on the person, some people LOOK like they have super long hair when its only at BSL). Anything past classic is definitely super long!

curlylocks85
March 11th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I also googled "long hair" and got plenty of BSL range hair styles. I did find one interesting article which was talking about anything longer than hip length as "super long" and then it mentioned our lovely LHC as the go to place for long hairs. Called some of us a bit hair obsessed but I can't totally argue with that. Here is the link. http://www.greathairstyletips.com/styling-super-long-hair/

I would not say, "Hair obsessed" I would say "hair committed". :)

lux_aeterna
March 12th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Waistlength or longer counts as really long hair for me. :)

Lorisal
March 12th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I consider hair long when it is at least waist length.

LunarAurora
March 12th, 2010, 11:37 AM
My answer is the same as Lorisal's ;)

Adamia
May 26th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Tailbone in pretty long in my opinion, but it doesn't become super long until it reaches knee or lower.

jane53
May 26th, 2010, 11:35 AM
It starts moving towards long once it's past mid-back, though it's not long yet.

Sammich
May 26th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I would call long hair long when it's waist length. :) Super long would be hip +!

FrannyG
May 26th, 2010, 01:48 PM
It's easy to have our views of what long hair is skewed by looking at the very long lengths of many LHC'ers. Nevertheless, I try to think in real life terms.

In truth, I consider hair that is long enough to sit behind the shoulders to be long hair. Hair that is below BSL to hip is very long hair to my eyes, and I would consider tailbone or longer to be extremely long.

pennylane
May 26th, 2010, 04:32 PM
In truth, I consider hair that is long enough to sit behind the shoulders to be long hair. Hair that is below BSL to hip is very long hair to my eyes, and I would consider tailbone or longer to be extremely long.

that's exactly how i feel! :flower:

JenniferNoel
May 26th, 2010, 04:51 PM
In outside-world terms, APL is when hair starts to look "long" as in "not short", but for me personally, hair starts to look long as in LHC long at around hip.

Loreley
May 27th, 2010, 04:08 AM
I consider hip length long, and classic or longer is very long. :)

gretss
May 27th, 2010, 05:46 AM
BSL and longer:o

fairytalegirl
May 27th, 2010, 05:50 AM
What I find is that I think a certain length is long until I reach it. Then, it doesn't look long enough to me. Yet, if my hair is shorter and I look back at photos, I think, "Wow, my hair was long!" Weird. On other people, it is usually past BSL that looks long to me.

monkeyprincess
May 27th, 2010, 06:00 AM
I think of waist as long, anything past that is really long.

natt i nord
May 27th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Long hair is everything that's longer as mine :D

Druella
May 28th, 2010, 05:09 AM
I consider waistlong hair long... and over tailbone super long!

Angeletti
May 28th, 2010, 09:25 AM
for me short would be shoulder and up, medium would be BSL, and long would be waist and down, but that's just me... it's funny though because when you type in "long hair styles" into google it mostly pulls up BSL hair or shorter, so that must be what the majority consider as long

Mirabella
May 28th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Longer than shoulder length. It's long enough to wear it it up and when worn down it gives the "long hair" look around the face.

myrrhmaiden
May 28th, 2010, 09:44 AM
It's always longer than what I have, heh.

alabaster
May 28th, 2010, 09:50 AM
By LHC standards i think waist, but for the rest of society APL is considered long...

Rennire
May 28th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I concider BSL or almost BSL to be long on other people but not on myself. I don't know when my own hair will feel long to me!

Birdsong
May 29th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I have always considered any hair that was shoulder length was long. Now I would say APL is long because of the LHC and because where I live now. I see hair around APL at least once a day.

Siveda
May 30th, 2010, 07:32 PM
For me, long starts at waist. On woman, that is.

rapunzhell13
May 31st, 2010, 09:11 AM
Generally, APL and beyond. LHC... hip and beyond.

Speckla
May 31st, 2010, 09:52 AM
past brastrap length

TinyTim
May 31st, 2010, 11:32 PM
since i am a boy it is when you can make a ponytail.

anniemae
June 1st, 2010, 05:02 PM
Longer than shoulder length. It's long enough to wear it it up and when worn down it gives the "long hair" look around the face.

I kind of agree with this. For me, shoulder length is long because I can't seem to get it much longer. But, ideally, APL would be very long (for me).

On others, I consider BSL to be very long.

Nastasia
June 2nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
My hair has to be brushing my elbows before I can think of it as long. On other women, I think that waist length is the shortest that I would call "long". In my area, APL and BSL hair is fairly standard. I see women with waist and hip length hair on a regular basis. Men with hair that long are rarer, but not unknown :).

abritta3
June 2nd, 2010, 11:45 AM
I would consider BSL long especially if it's all the same length

anniemae
June 2nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
My hair has to be brushing my elbows before I can think of it as long. On other women, I think that waist length is the shortest that I would call "long". In my area, APL and BSL hair is fairly standard. I see women with waist and hip length hair on a regular basis. Men with hair that long are rarer, but not unknown :).

Wow....that is long!! Where I live, I don't think I've ever seen anyone with hair longer than BSL. Maybe they have it up and so I can't really tell how long it is. Hmmm....

Lianna
June 2nd, 2010, 03:44 PM
BSL and on. But here BSL is pretty common.

Mystical9
June 2nd, 2010, 03:49 PM
I would also say BSL or longer.

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab121/MysticalSkye/backofhair.jpg

BritishBraider
June 3rd, 2010, 08:10 AM
Waist or longer I think, or just outside of the current norm.....

Holly9192
June 3rd, 2010, 11:41 AM
Waist or longer because bsl, or even a bit longer, seems average in my area.

Capybara
June 3rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
BSL and beyond, I think.

Although, in the real world, APL can look long.

What feels long to me, though, is another story ... :p

lesbia
June 20th, 2010, 07:29 AM
If blunt, I consider long also a bsl lenght and if layered I consider long a waist lenght.. It's a little bit stupid I think.. o.o

Tamara78
June 21st, 2010, 08:02 PM
I would consider waist or longer to be "long"

rosycoco
June 21st, 2010, 10:07 PM
Hmmm tough question. I guess for me BSL seems so far away and so long, but when I look at others I think mid-back to waist is long.

RachelRain
June 21st, 2010, 11:31 PM
Depends on how tall the person is, but generally if it's longer than mine, it's long, and if it's not... I'm kinda eh about it, because I really don't feel that mine is as long as people make it out to be. I'm constantly rolling my eyes at people who want to touch it and comment because I just don't see what the big deal is.

pennylane
June 21st, 2010, 11:32 PM
BSL =Long

WAIST = Very, very, very long.

:)

eschmi1
June 22nd, 2010, 12:14 AM
I think I have always though of the waist as pretty long.

Lilacs
June 22nd, 2010, 07:47 AM
I feel like waist is the beginning of long. Shorter than waist seems "normal" to me... :shrug:

nenasylvia
June 22nd, 2010, 08:09 AM
Mid-back, I think, having had my hair short (1/2") for 18 years, it wasn't until it was mid-back that I even understood how to take care of it.:pumpkin:

Pandora.
June 22nd, 2010, 08:19 AM
I think BSL can look pretty long on some people, but when I had just a tiny bit shorter than BSL I felt that it was really short. Anywho, I've always considered somewhere between BSL and waist as long.

Miriah
June 22nd, 2010, 11:17 AM
From personal feeling, I find APL is when my hair stops feeling short, BSL is "technically" long, and then long is about at my natural waist.

hm85
June 23rd, 2010, 08:37 AM
i would consider BSL because iv never been BSL but im hoping to this year but iv just reached APL so got a long wait ahead but would like to think i could reach the world of waist hair with determination! xxx

alwayssmiling
June 23rd, 2010, 11:45 AM
Because i have not had long hair since being a child, I would consider APL as longish but BSL is properly long. My daughter has BSL hair and is one of the longest in her class. When I see you ladies with waist and hip length hair I'm like this .....:bowtome: Seriously impressed.