PDA

View Full Version : what do you consider "long" hair?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

erizabesu
August 16th, 2014, 03:14 PM
I think about BSL is the point where hair can start to look long, depending on the person. About waist is the point that it starts to look long on anyone.
For myself, I've only started to feel long recently at about hip.

Éothyn
August 17th, 2014, 03:56 PM
I think about BSL is the point where hair can start to look long, depending on the person. About waist is the point that it starts to look long on anyone.
For myself, I've only started to feel long recently at about hip.

I agree with this. BSL doesn't look long on me, but I have seen those lucky enough for BSL to appear long for. Waist is when I anticipate feeling like a true longhair.

Korisznivella
August 20th, 2014, 09:45 AM
I used to consider shoulder length to be long hair, but now, after seeing lots of folks with long hairs at my college and being on this forum for a bit, I consider BSL and longer to be real long hairs.

Yuuki
August 22nd, 2014, 12:08 PM
For me, it's BSL. But I'm sure everyone has a different perception of what long hair is. Someone trying to grow out a pixie would probably think shoulder length is long.

Platzhalter
August 23rd, 2014, 11:31 AM
Longer than waist. Though it also depends a bit on the person, some people already have long hair before reaching that point.

Akville
August 25th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Longer than waist. Though it also depends a bit on the person, some people already have long hair before reaching that point.

I agree with you..

GilaShorty
August 30th, 2014, 06:50 AM
For me it is bsl + :-)

Dragon Faery
August 30th, 2014, 04:15 PM
When I was little, I thought waist was the beginning of truly long hair. Now it's more complicated.

On a tall person with straight, not overly thick hair, BSL can look long-ish to me. On a short person with very thick, bushy hair, WL can look short to me. For anyone in the media spotlight, I would consider WL long. But for anyone in a community where longer (than WL) hair is the norm, I would consider WL woefully short. On this site, I would consider Waist to Tailbone "almost long", Tailbone to Classic "pretty long", Classic to Fingertip "actually long", Fingertip to Knee "very long", and Knee and beyond "super long". No matter what, media articles calling APL and shorter "super long" make me snortlaugh. Can't help it.

For me personally, my hair starts feeling "almost long" around Hip. I feel like I can call it "kind of long" once it hits Tailbone. And I will consider it "actually long" or at least "longish" once it hits Classic. I hope. :)

burny
August 30th, 2014, 04:20 PM
I think long hair, is when they have you face backwards for a police lineup

Begemot
September 22nd, 2014, 02:59 AM
BSL can look long on other people but I don't consider my own hair properly long until it reaches at least MBL. I get the long hair sensation somewhere under the bra strap and above my waist. Can't quite pin point it!

Lady melissa
September 22nd, 2014, 03:31 AM
[QUOTE=Dragon Faery;2808496]No matter what, media articles calling APL and shorter "super long" make me snortlaugh. Can't help it.[QUOTE]

Yes, this makes me laugh tooo all the time :) Have you ever googled 'long hair'? you know what you get then? shoulder or APL....dude, that's not even worth using the word 'long' for...for me at least, one has to have 'waist' length hair to even be considered 'long' to start with

dogzdinner
September 22nd, 2014, 06:39 AM
Judging by what I see in the media/tv then BSL seems to be regarded as long!

Iku-Turso
September 29th, 2014, 02:41 AM
I consider hip or tailbone length hair long. If somenone has BSL or near WL hair, I might-call it "half long", because the hair is approximately 1/2 of long (TBL) hair.

Savvyhorsez
September 29th, 2014, 06:02 AM
I notice hair when it is waist when out in public, but I don't call it long until it's about hip length.

Trin
September 30th, 2014, 05:50 PM
I've always used long to describe anyone's hair that is past bsl, I use super long, awesomely long, and astonishingly long for lengths past the hips, classic, and knee.

gustavonut
September 30th, 2014, 09:48 PM
I consider past your butt long.

Nightamin
October 1st, 2014, 02:48 AM
For me it's BCL or longer. :)

Nieve
October 1st, 2014, 05:44 AM
Personally, I consider shoulder length and shorter as short. Medium would be mid back length and long is hip/buttcrack length. This is probably because I have always had 'long' hair from as young as 2! I hope I haven't offended anyone; this is just my experience because I have actually never had 'short' hair.

Ting32
October 3rd, 2014, 03:45 AM
WL to me, but common opinion here is shoulder.

Fufu
October 6th, 2014, 05:45 AM
BSL onwards is long to me :)

velorutionista
October 7th, 2014, 11:33 AM
It changes as my hair grows! When I had shoulder length (after having grown out a shorter bob), shoulder felt "long" to me. Now that I've got waist length hair, shoulder seems laughably short, and waist doesn't feel particularly long...If I had to pick a length, I'd say TBL+ would be the start of "long" to me.

Zin79
October 11th, 2014, 02:32 AM
Waist length is long hair. :)

fairy_hair
October 11th, 2014, 04:08 AM
To me, long hair is tailbone or beyond :D Just a couple inches to go... come onnn...

Dewdrop
October 11th, 2014, 07:25 AM
I think midback length is 'longer,' but actual long hair would be at least tailbone.

petitepraline
October 11th, 2014, 07:58 AM
I see a lot of waist length hair at my school so I don't consider it long anymore (though I used to).
I would have to tailbone is long

Beckstar
October 11th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Shoulder length or below. I really start to feel like I have long hair when I can do an updo without bobby pins or any loose hair falling out.

Vulpes
October 13th, 2014, 07:04 AM
My perception is that BSL and longer is "long" and anything waist-length and beyond is "really long". Kudos to everyone who can manage beyond the knees, or floor-length! That is truly amazing.

Entangled
October 13th, 2014, 07:05 PM
BSL is longish for me, waist length is firmly long, tailbone is loooong, classic is extra long (normal in long hair areas) and knee plus is super long.

idiay
October 13th, 2014, 08:06 PM
"Long hair" to me means BSL length since I've never had longer hair than that. :(

veryhairyfairy
October 14th, 2014, 06:44 AM
It depends on the person.
A woman with tightly coily hair has long hair (IMO) at APL stretched.
A man with hair past his collar? Long!
A woman with curly hair to BSL? Long!
With wavy or straight hair on a woman; BSL starts to look kind of long, waist is definitely long.

NitaB
October 14th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Whenever you start to look at tutorials or hairstyles for 'long' hair, it's almost always SL, maybe APL. I feel like from neck to BSL are more medium or average length, BSL and longer are 'long'. And TBL and longer are in the 'really long' category. Personally, my hair doesn't feel long until Mid-back-ish.
Although I suppose for guys it is different because anything more than two inches is 'long' for most guys in my area

Puffer Fish
October 14th, 2014, 07:47 PM
On myself, "long" is anything past my chin.
On others, I see "long" as APL-BSL. Anything beyond that I'm permanently impressed and thinking "HOLY NUTS that's a lot of hair."

Nymphea
October 14th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Waist and longer. BSL is also longish, but I usually call "long" everything from waist beyond. :)

hennalonghair
October 14th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Anything 3 feet or longer

Alun
October 15th, 2014, 04:48 PM
My hair is waist length (barely) and seems to be terminal. By all means add a foot to that and say that defines long if you like, but don't expect me not to laugh outright at those kind of posts.

Chocowalnut
October 15th, 2014, 10:11 PM
I think APL is starting to get long, BSL is long, and anything longer than that is a bonus :)

Kristabeth96
October 16th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I say short until APL and medium. until midback

BrownEyedBeauty
October 17th, 2014, 08:18 AM
BSL is long to me and anything above that is medium length.

Vanadis_Lithae
October 18th, 2014, 02:17 AM
I consider long hair to be around the hip area, maybe between waist and hip. Shoulder/shoulderblade length I don't really consider long.
I hold men and women to the same standards.
Very long would be thighs/knees or longer.

Voqque
October 20th, 2014, 06:42 PM
I've always classed mid back length long, and obviously the other lengths beyond that.

diddiedaisy
October 21st, 2014, 03:28 AM
After 10 months of being on here I have found my perceptions have skewed a little. Before this I would have considered apl + long hair, and waist as super long. I generally think bsl looks long on other people but I don't see waist as super long anymore.

Also, where I live most high school girls have hair between bsl and waist +, so in that age range that seems pretty average to me. But if I see people above the age 25 with that length hair I think they have long hair not average length hair.

As for my hair which is apl, it just looks short to me, despite the fact that on other people its starting to look long. If I hadn't joined lhc I would probably consider my hair long as I haven't been past cbl for years.

I would say the general consensus for non lhc'ers though is bsl and beyond is considered long.

Heavy Raindrops
December 19th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Tailbone or classic. I no longer consider waist to be long anymore which used to be my first goal. Hip is kinda long though.

GreenFairy
December 19th, 2014, 05:09 PM
I think waist is long hair. It's not super long... but long.

CurlyGrace
December 21st, 2014, 06:14 AM
I'd say BSL and longer are "long" to me, but then again that could be because I only have APL hair lol

Halliday
December 21st, 2014, 07:06 AM
Midback+ is when hair gets long imo.

Ambrielle
December 21st, 2014, 08:45 AM
it depends on the person's height but generally it starts looking long to me once it gets to solid waist/hip on most people, even before i joined this community :) i am 5'10 and my hair is hip on me but it might be tailbone length on someone much shorter so perspective is relative.

CurlyHairLiz
December 22nd, 2014, 08:36 AM
Waist length hair is long to me.
Somtimes people say they have long hair, but I think it's short. Well.....

pearlsandpinups
December 22nd, 2014, 10:17 AM
Waist length is when hair is long to me! My hair's BSL and it feels so short to me!! Grow hair, grow!

Heavy Raindrops
December 22nd, 2014, 06:34 PM
I'm only 5ft1 so my waist length hair is so short. :( Hip is fairly long though.

semisweetrubix
January 5th, 2015, 11:27 PM
On other people I tend to think of waist/hip as long-ish. I've only seen two people in rl with longer hair than that... but on me it just seems normal. I don't think I'll feel like I have long hair until I pass bcl.

CurlMonster
January 6th, 2015, 03:36 AM
I think it depends on the person's height and the thickness of their hair. My mum's hair is almost BSL, but very thin and so I can do all kind of complex buns with her hair (more than I can do with mine at hip), so I think of her hair as long. Whereas my best friend has very thick almost BSL hair that makes a braid only about 5 'bumps' long and her hair looks short to me. So I think I consider hair long or not based more on what you can do with it than what length marker it is at.

Longtale
January 6th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Bsl to me is when hair starts to become long.

curiouskitty
January 8th, 2015, 05:30 AM
WL and longer. It might change as I hang out some more around here, but generally, I tend to look at whether a person's (or my) hair is past the breasts. From waist length on is when I think people start turnung heads and standing out.

lapushka
January 8th, 2015, 01:03 PM
I think it depends on the person's height and the thickness of their hair. My mum's hair is almost BSL, but very thin and so I can do all kind of complex buns with her hair (more than I can do with mine at hip), so I think of her hair as long. Whereas my best friend has very thick almost BSL hair that makes a braid only about 5 'bumps' long and her hair looks short to me. So I think I consider hair long or not based more on what you can do with it than what length marker it is at.

Makes a lot of sense! :)

DreamSheep
January 8th, 2015, 01:14 PM
I agree with CurlMonster - people with hair that isn't as dense as mine, even at shorter lengths, "look" very long to me, whereas although my hair objectively is considered long by people, due to its aspect ratio, doesn't feel thaaaaat long yet. I think the layers also contribute. When I have nice thick hair all the way down to classic, then it may start to be long :p

But, thinking objectively, BSL and below enters the category of long, only that due to the LHC superlong is the new long.

jpitt
January 8th, 2015, 03:21 PM
On women probably mid back or maybe not quite that long and on guys I would say anything passed shoulder length though I would put the caveat that I probably wouldn't count having the back down on the shoulders while the front is significantly shorter as long a la awkward stage, which is essentially where I fit in right now.

SunainaMhrani
January 15th, 2015, 01:32 AM
for me long hair starts at tailbone length

FurryLady
January 15th, 2015, 01:12 PM
I'd call BSL not short anymore, but since I've seen so many of you with beautiful classic length hair to me this is the start of really long hair. Mostly because not many women wear their hair that long. Midback or waist length seems to be quite common.

Snivellus
January 30th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Bra strap and lower is long hair for me.

chen bao jun
February 1st, 2015, 12:51 PM
I still think BSL is long after 2 1/2 years on LHC. though I admire the super long lengths. I think hip starts super long and waist is very long and if it is healthy and looks good, nothing is too long. Floor length and longer, bring it on! As long (pun intended )as you can handle it.

silver curls
February 3rd, 2015, 04:08 PM
Waist length is Long!!!

Nevb1973
February 6th, 2015, 10:24 AM
I think bsl is long. Long long is waist and beyond, super long hair would be classic, like omg that hair is crazy long is beyond that. Just what the voice in my head says.

Lavendersugar
February 6th, 2015, 11:01 AM
BSL to me is long to me. Up to shoulders in the no mans land is medium to me and above is short.

Longer than BSL I consider very long.

endlessly
February 6th, 2015, 11:16 AM
The interesting thing about this question is that I've always considered "long hair" to be waist-length or even longer, but while my hair is well-past classic length, it doesn't seem nearly long enough to me!

However, the other day I overheard a girl tell her friend with shoulder-length hair that it was "way too long", so we definitely all have different perceptions!

sophiamermaid
February 7th, 2015, 06:51 AM
Hahaha! I'm the same way: on me it doesn't stop feeling short until it's beyond my horizontal bra strap, and it doesn't seem long until it's past my rear, while on others I think about scapula length starts looking long. Odd, because on me that feels VERY short, and I still shoot off the end when brushing, like lifting a large cup I thought was full but is empty: too much force.

Wouldn't being short tend to make a given absolute length of hair (i.e., a measurement in cm or in, as opposed to shoulder length, or whatever) seem longer, since said measurement is a greater percentage of the height? (I'm short, too: my husband is a foot taller than I am!)

eloquence
February 8th, 2015, 05:55 AM
BSL and beyond seems to be the popular opinion, here. I was going to say the same.

ashke50
February 8th, 2015, 12:26 PM
My opinion on this has changed now. On other people it is something like "above BSL is short, BSL to waist is medium, waist to hip is medium/long, hip plus is long, classic plus is very long" . I have, at approaching fingertip, finally started feeling like my own hair is actually long. My hair didn't start *feeling* long to me till almost classic.

I know that my opinion on this doesn't accord with how hair is usually viewed, its just LHC hair dysmorphia again!

3 Cat Night
February 8th, 2015, 03:58 PM
I would say BSL and longer is long.

mermaid lullaby
February 9th, 2015, 09:32 PM
Waist and longer :)

Saige
February 10th, 2015, 12:28 AM
I think BSL is medium length. Waist length to tailbone is long. Anything longer than that is really long!

chebella
February 13th, 2015, 06:26 PM
I consider long hair to be WL, mainly because when I see hair that long I go "woah, that's long". Anything shorter than that is mid-length and shoulder-length and up is short. My goal is WL but my short term goal is growing out my roots.

Madeleine13
February 15th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Would class armpit length as long?

LarissaLuna
February 16th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Hair till the hips is long for me. I also need waist lenth too feel kind of confortable. Everything else is to short for me. That doesn't mean that shorter hair can't look nice on other ppl.

*ReiKa*
February 22nd, 2015, 12:43 AM
Waist lenght, definitely.
I know people consider that already VERY long, but for me absolutely not, that's where hair STARTS to be long.

Pinni
February 22nd, 2015, 12:56 AM
Waist lenght is long. Long hair before that (armpit etc.) is longish.

Five of Five
February 22nd, 2015, 02:28 AM
I am one of those whose perspective has been very warped by LHC, but generally speaking:

Buzz - Shoulder = Short.
Shoulder - Waist = Medium.
Waist - BCL = Long.
Everything else = Really long!

Pre-LHC, I considered BSL to be very long. I couldn't believe it the first time I realised that my hair was actually significantly longer!

Olavi
February 22nd, 2015, 06:08 AM
For me, between Shoulder and BSL is Medium, BSL-Waist is Long and everything beyond Waist Super Long.

Nymphea
February 22nd, 2015, 07:42 AM
For me waist is long. Everything above it is short, and everything below classic is really long :)

Remi
February 22nd, 2015, 07:59 AM
To me, classic starts the 'long hair' category.

lapis_lazuli
February 22nd, 2015, 07:59 AM
On other people, waist is long. But on me, hip-length still seems short :p

battles
February 22nd, 2015, 08:10 AM
On others, I notice hair around waist - hip. On myself, it feels long around BSL - waist.

nitagurl
March 5th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Where I'm from, you are "oohed" and "awed" at if you have full shoulder length hair. APL is practically Rapunzel length to some people that I know. And what's even crazier is that I used to think this way too. It's not very common for black girls to have healthy, well cared for hair - so you can forget it being long. But, once I learned that we (as a people) CAN have gorgeous, thick, lusciously long hair (we just have a bad habit of styling our curls to death) then it completely changed how i approached hair care.

I chopped all of my hair off and have made it to BSL with no problems. But I don't consider hair to be long until it reaches waist length. My length now feels more like "smedium". I mean, I barely want to even call it average length because it just still feels that short to me. But waist length is definitely and undeniably long (though it could be longer *wink*)

LaBeq
March 5th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Since I've had chin-length or shorter hair for most of my life, my current straggling-somewhere-between-shoulder-and-BSL hair feels incredibly long on me. And on others, it's pretty much the same - past shoulder is long. Waist or more is REALLY long!

If I can get my hair to grow longer, my perceptions may change as my hair does!

Arctic
March 5th, 2015, 02:00 PM
I have sort of seperate standards for LHC and for real life. As an oldtimer I have gotten to a zen place with my hair, and don't stress about the length or growth speed, etc etc etc. That means that even on LHC I keep my real life standards as my primary standards, in front of my mind, and only secondary I think in LHC standards. I hope that makes some sense!

Ellinor
March 6th, 2015, 03:24 AM
Waist length always looked reaaaaally long to me on other people but now I have reached that length, I only just feel like it's starting to get long!

0xalis
March 10th, 2015, 08:31 PM
I think it depends on the person and situation.
For me, as a guy, having chin length bangs is perceived as long. However, being around other longhair guys my whole life, long doesn't really "start" for me until APL- Mid back.
And girls have a harder standard for long since it's more common.
I will always see waist and beyond as unarguably long though.

Lauraes
March 11th, 2015, 09:21 AM
I think anything longer than BSL is long.

diggem
March 11th, 2015, 11:29 AM
This is a very intriguing question. I read the first note a while ago and have thought about it off and on since. So here are my thoughts:

In my opinion, what I consider long hair on one person, I may not on another. I think it depends on various body proportions, and also how they wear and handle their hair. I have seen women with BSL hair that I considered long, and others with WL hair starting to be long. BTW: For me, too long is a good start. Now, when I consider this, I see a couple of things. First, women with long torsos and BSL hair, may actually be longer than a woman with a short torso also with BSL hair. Height can also play into what is long and what is not. Finally, a woman that treats her hair as long (plays with it, moves it over one shoulder or another, or similar) comes across as having long hair to me, even if that hair is BSL.

So, am I off base here? Is this not specific enough? What are your opinions of what I presented here?

Thanks for asking (and hopefully some answers to my questions).

diggem

Todd
March 13th, 2015, 07:36 PM
For me, as a guy, having chin length bangs is perceived as long. However, being around other longhair guys my whole life, long doesn't really "start" for me until APL- Mid back.

Definitely a different world for guys. I sometimes hear someone describing a guy as having "long hair" and then I meet him and its barely covering his ears! I'd have never described it as "long". That's short!

braidbun
March 13th, 2015, 08:23 PM
For me, blunt cut MBL is long. why blunt cut?
Somehow I feel V shape hemline does not look as long as blunt cut at the same tip length.

Shibe
March 14th, 2015, 12:54 AM
Anything BSL and longer.

I always found it silly when tabloids gush about how long a celebs hair is when it's shoulder length.

MINAKO
March 14th, 2015, 06:39 AM
i keep changing my on this, conclusion, its the hairtype and the physique of the person as well, not just length in inches or where it hits on the body. For example hair thats in the fine side and flows really silky and helthy looks long on a very slim person to me already at around waist. If the hair is coarse, textured and tapered it would probably take a few inches more to strike me as long, althought it is technically longer than the straight hair.
One rather typical celeb, Hollywood ItGirl whatsoever with really long hair i can think of is Lara Lieto these days and shes getting alot of hate for her hair, lol.

Ellaria
March 14th, 2015, 08:15 AM
For me, long hair starts at waist length. I currently have BSL long hair and it doesn't feel long at all :/

DumpsterGhost
September 2nd, 2015, 05:15 PM
I consider hair below the bra strap as long hair

DollyDagger
September 2nd, 2015, 08:43 PM
Waist is quite long to me given that Im at bsl :) You dont see too many women past the age of 30 in your day to day life with waist length id say (around here at least)

pailin
September 2nd, 2015, 09:22 PM
Longer than mine is long!

Groovy Granny
September 2nd, 2015, 10:06 PM
On me...BSL+ 'felt' longer...but as I am coming on waist now it 'looks' longer

On others Hip+ looks longer to me

Weird how your perception can change along the way :shrug:

parkmikii
September 3rd, 2015, 12:21 AM
Around hip/bcl is what I consider 'long'.

Dessi
September 9th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Longer than mine is long!
I think that's the thing! :D The problem is my own hair still feels short to me.
I can't remember if I have posted here before, but now I think Hip length would be what I consider long hair.

Knifegill
September 10th, 2015, 12:05 AM
Knee or longer

Estrid
September 10th, 2015, 01:07 AM
I remember that i thought bsl was long before, but now I'm only 1 or 2 inches away and my hair still feels short... on others I think bsl can look long, but on me...well..feels like it wont be counted as "long" before I reach hip length. :silly:

AsphodelJones
November 24th, 2015, 03:05 PM
I think APL looks long on other people, but on me it's like, I'VE BEEN SHORN!

irodaryne
November 24th, 2015, 05:08 PM
I remember that i thought bsl was long before, but now I'm only 1 or 2 inches away and my hair still feels short... on others I think bsl can look long, but on me...well..feels like it wont be counted as "long" before I reach hip length. :silly:

Once upon a time, I thought the same thing. And now I'll see folks talking about how their "long locks" only to see that their hair is at maybe BSL. Which is admittedly sort of long here in western society, especially for the part of the US I live in, but being on this forum has ruined my perception of what is "long"

chen bao jun
November 24th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Is this why my almost BSL hair looks short to me while everybody else's APL hair looks long?!! I thought it was becuase its pouffy (so still looks wider than long)

irodaryne
November 24th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Is this why my almost BSL hair looks short to me while everybody else's APL hair looks long?!! I thought it was becuase its pouffy (so still looks wider than long)

It could be a combination of both. Not only do we get to regularly see lengths beyond floor length (which is super rare to find out in the "wild"), but the average length here seems to be somewhere between waist and probably around FTL-ish. You see folks with your normal length of long hair out and about and it does seem long in comparison because normal hair length is considered to be about APL-BSL, waist and hip in the wild are considered very long lengths, possibly on the extreme end.

The fact that your hair is super pouffy probably adds to the perception of it being "short." The "skinnier" the hair, the longer it's going to look in comparison to, say, hair of the same length that's more pouffy.

Also, don't forget that your curls eat length like it's nothing, which also adds to the perception of "short" hair.

PurpleStar
November 28th, 2015, 04:22 AM
To me anything above shoulder length is short, between the shoulder and waist is medium, and past the waist is long.

RebekahE
November 28th, 2015, 12:41 PM
My perception of long has always been waist. If it's not waist it's not that long. And that is probably due to me having long hair most of my life. Where my hair is at now I would consider medium-almost long but most people consider it loong.

bunneh.
November 29th, 2015, 09:10 AM
Middleback to waist is where long starts for me... Depending on the height of a person.

iYaap
November 29th, 2015, 11:23 AM
If you can wrap a hair around your middle. :)

diddiedaisy
November 29th, 2015, 06:20 PM
iYaap, I like your sig pic. I do think it depends on how tall you are, iYaap you look long to me as your bsl is my waist length!!!

Sarahlabyrinth
November 29th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Someone in the wild told me not long ago that my hair was "super long". I had to bite my lip to prevent myself from asking if he was kidding because I knew he wasn't.

QueenBeruthiel
November 29th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Anything that's longer than I've ever had it, so knee lenth or longer.

Goatcraft
December 12th, 2015, 08:57 AM
I always thought that waist length hair was long, but once I passed it - I thought it was short. Same with tailbone, and I'll probably think that when I reach CL. We'll see! So, I guess I would say 'Classic and beyond' is considered long to me.

Mademoiselle
December 26th, 2015, 05:59 PM
For me WL is long :)

Hali
December 27th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Probably mid back, people here wear rather shortish cuts it's rare to see someone past BSL.

Ocalee
January 4th, 2016, 03:35 PM
I'd consider BSL as the beginning of long hair.

Lauraes
January 4th, 2016, 03:55 PM
(I hope I never replied to this thread before, but if I did my opinion has probably changed.)

I waist to hip length is when hair stands out as long to me.

cat11
January 5th, 2016, 06:19 AM
For me, waist and longer. Its what looks long, and when I got to waist myself my hairfinally felt and looked long.

Brunettebybirth
January 5th, 2016, 06:23 AM
APL-BSL is what I'd consider long. Every since I got to APL, many people have commented that my hair got long.

sarah.j.xx
January 5th, 2016, 10:58 PM
Before LHC, I had always thought that waist length hair was long. Now, WL actually looks and feels short to me, and TBL to CL+ is what I consider long!

littlestarface
January 7th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Short:above waist

Medium:below waist

Long:knee and beyond.

mermaid lullaby
January 7th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Collarbone -bald
Apl- short
Waist- medium
BCL- long

maborosi
January 7th, 2016, 08:50 PM
My opinion's seemed to change now that I'm past hip, myself. Seeing another person with this length is kind of rare where I live. I would consider hip + to be "very long". But I still consider waist to be long.

sparkbunni
January 7th, 2016, 09:11 PM
For me, short goes to shoulder length, medium I guess is BSL, and long starts somewhere around waist to tailbone.

ErikaRenee
January 8th, 2016, 11:10 PM
Mine has totally changed. I have been between BSL and a little longer for years, and people called it long. I know think it's beginning to qualify as long. I think waist is pretty long, and then it just goes from there.

sea.chelle
January 13th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Short: Bald to Shoulder length
Medium: Shoulder length to BSL
Long: BSL to Hip
Very Long: Hip to Classic
Extremely Long: Classic+

stelz
January 13th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Normally, like this:

Short: above shoulders
Medium: CBL to waist
Long: Waist to classic
Really long: longer than mine, lol

But there is context to consider. The timeframe, for one thing. If I'm reading a book from the 1940's, I know that CBL was generally considered "long". If it's something from the early 60's, I know that the Beatles were considered to have "long" guy hair, even though that cut was essentially a pixie, lol.

Irialii
January 15th, 2016, 11:26 PM
I'd consider BSL and longer as long hair. Although, BSL doesn't seem long when my hair is that length. Which is kinda weird.

Arctic
January 16th, 2016, 02:54 AM
I am approx at APL and now my hair has started to feel long to me. Yay!

Garnetgem
January 16th, 2016, 03:06 AM
BSL is when you really start to notice length but if you have had short for a while then any growth will feel long,i am at WL but hope to go longer.

papayatree
January 17th, 2016, 11:20 AM
My opinion is that Shoulder length is borderline long, but armpit leng th is long. I enjoy reading everyone else's opinions to help improve mine!

lapis_lazuli
January 17th, 2016, 11:47 AM
On others? BSL+ On me? Well... I still don't think it's long. Maybe I never will :lol:

curlysamantha
January 17th, 2016, 12:13 PM
On myself -anything passed BSL. On others - anything passed waist or hip!

irodaryne
January 17th, 2016, 01:35 PM
BSL is when you really start to notice length but if you have had short for a while then any growth will feel long,i am at WL but hope to go longer.

That's so true. Being anywhere between pixie to CBL for the last several years that right now, at about shoulder length, it feels so long on me, but also not nearly long enough!

LateRose
January 17th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Waist-length looks and feels "normal" to me. Classic is unusually long on other people. Me? I've been longer than I could brush with one stroke before, (mid-thigh? WAY before LHC) and it didn't feel long. Maybe knee-length would?

RavenMane
January 19th, 2016, 01:45 AM
It is weird how the LHC has changed my perception. Until middle school my hair was around waist length, was usually the longest in school, and I thought it was sooo long. In high school it was always around BSL or a little longer, and I just considered my hair "long". It was way longer than all of my friends' hair. I lived in Hawaii between then and now, and there's so much beautiful, BCL and longer hair there, that I think my perception started to change. Now I've been a member for a few months, my hair is hip length and I think of it as "almost long". But on other people in real life, past BSL is "long" to me. Shoulder to APL is "normal". Above shoulder is "short".

PixiePoesie
January 26th, 2016, 06:59 PM
I guess I've always thought of BSL as "getting there" and waist as "long", however it's all relative. The last time my hair was long, about three years ago, it didn't really feel long until classic. Now that my pixie has grown enough that I have a ponytail, I'm feeling "officially on my way"!! Yay!

Longhairgrowing
January 28th, 2016, 07:53 AM
For me it's after SL because I've never had hair longer than that. It would be nice to have APL or longer hair so I can practice al kinds of updo's with help of LHC of course!

SaraJayne
January 31st, 2016, 01:09 AM
For me it's after SL because I've never had hair longer than that. It would be nice to have APL or longer hair so I can practice al kinds of updo's with help of LHC of course!

Exactly this. Mine has been SL for years. Now it's actually falling over my shoulders by a couple of inches, it feels completely different. I'm only aiming for APL at the moment but I suspect this will change as I get more ambitious when I have success, and in my first 5 months it has gone incredibly well.

Laurie3030
January 31st, 2016, 04:40 AM
APL because you can make beautiful braids with it
(This aspect is really important to me)

HeartofHaleth
January 31st, 2016, 10:11 PM
On others, I'd say waist-length. On me...currently I think it'll feel long if/when I get to classic. Of course then I'll probably think it'll only feel long at knee-length...

Elbereth
February 2nd, 2016, 12:19 AM
For background, my hair is TBL and at terminal length

Above shoulder: short
shoulder to APL: longish
APL to BSL: long
beyond BSL: unusually long
beyond tailbone: surreally long

This is based on just how often I see each length around. Beyond BSL length is unusual, and I'd say that on women over 30 or so, even shoulder length is kind of long because it's so unusual. During the past 10 years I remember seeing exactly one lady with classic length hair. I know my hair gets long looks when I wear it in a style that shows its length, considering its length and my age I'm definitely approaching the surreal camp. :face:

Arctic
February 2nd, 2016, 01:19 AM
For background, my hair is TBL and at terminal length

Above shoulder: short
shoulder to APL: longish
APL to BSL: long
beyond BSL: unusually long
beyond tailbone: surreally long

This is based on just how often I see each length around. Beyond BSL length is unusual, and I'd say that on women over 30 or so, even shoulder length is kind of long because it's so unusual. During the past 10 years I remember seeing exactly one lady with classic length hair. I know my hair gets long looks when I wear it in a style that shows its length, considering its length and my age I'm definitely approaching the surreal camp. :face:

Elbereth! :waving:

Elbereth
February 2nd, 2016, 09:53 AM
Oh hi Arctic! :waving: Long time no see!

SteelRose
February 2nd, 2016, 11:35 AM
In a societal general term I would say BSL or beyond. On me that would feel VERY short at this point. I told my husband I was considering a big cut a little while back and he looked shocked until he realized I meant back to classic. I've chickened out from even that so far. ;)

gregh
February 3rd, 2016, 02:17 PM
On others I would say women: mid back and men: shoulder. On me this seems to be a very fluid concept. This is my first time growing my hair out and it started to feel long at shoulder length but now thinking back that doesn't seem that long, but a few inches past that where I currently am does. I assume that will continue to shift longer and longer as it grows.

Ellethwyn
February 3rd, 2016, 07:33 PM
For males i think shoulder length is long and for females bra strap length is long.

TheBlondeElvira
February 3rd, 2016, 09:49 PM
BSL and beyond is long to me. Anything before that (including mine) I consider medium. Anything above the chin is short.

casiopeia
February 5th, 2016, 07:15 AM
On others I find one length thick hemline BSL to be long. On myself, I find almost hip to finally start feeling long.

Alarice
February 8th, 2016, 04:26 AM
For women I would consider waist and beyond to be long; for men, shoulder length.

hanne jensen
February 8th, 2016, 06:30 AM
I think hip length hair is long.

Piewee
February 13th, 2016, 06:29 AM
For me (guy) I would say anything longer then shoulder. For women I would say anything longer then waist. (Hope I didnt offend anyone with that) most important thing is what you feel is long yourself.:cool:

Mavi
February 14th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Classic is when I start to notice hair in the wild as being "long". Because long-haired men are a slightly rarer breed (although I've seen a pleasing increase in hair-length on my uni campus), I think APL is when a long haired man starts to stand out for me.

Atarah
February 15th, 2016, 04:55 PM
Anything past waist is long (in my opinion only). I was always surprised when people would comment about my long hair and it was only to BSL.
For men it depends on how they wear it, for some reason I think long at shoulder length if they are wearing it down but if in a ponytail I don't think long until mid back.

Wusel
February 28th, 2016, 11:29 AM
I consider every length that I don't yet have as long and the length I have as short. When I was shoulder, APL seemed long and shoulder short. When I reached APL, it was short to me and BSL very long. Now that I'm BSL, MBL is long for me and BSL feels short... Oh my. So strange...
But I think BSL ist considered to be long for other people because since I'm BSL people notice it and say that my hair has gotten sooo long...

PurpleKitty11
April 21st, 2016, 02:14 PM
i think waist and beyond

Horrorpops
April 21st, 2016, 08:18 PM
I think BSL+ looks long to me, and would generally be considered long in my area :)

Anya15
April 22nd, 2016, 04:02 AM
Waist and anything beyond that :)

casiopeia
April 22nd, 2016, 07:37 AM
BSL with no layers starts being long in my eyes on other people. On me at hip it feels a teeny bit long. I want it to feel super long.

vampyyri
May 28th, 2016, 02:16 PM
This is a really interesting thread with the variety of answers!

For me, mid-back/not quite waist is where I start identifying someone as a long hair.

MINAKO
May 28th, 2016, 06:37 PM
I remember answering on this thread before and being to lazy to go back and find my own posti assume i answered midback before. I notice now that anything above tailbone neither phases me in pictures nor in real life as "oh wow long", it still may be nice hair and i would pay attention to the condition or movement or whatever but my brain is so oversaturated with images way past classic that omg-length-headturn is probably closer to knee now for me.

RustyAl
June 17th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Well I find for men long hair would be past the shoulders, while for women inbetween MBL and Hip length is what I would consider long

lithostoic
June 17th, 2016, 06:04 PM
I may have posted here before but I think it depends on the person. For example, I have a long neck and my hair starts looking non-lhc medium length at around CBL. Whereas someone with a shorter neck would have much shorter hair at CBL.

Generally though, I'd say between APL and BSL for most people is when it starts looking long to me. From behind anyway.

Wusel
June 19th, 2016, 03:32 AM
I remember answering on this thread before and being to lazy to go back and find my own posti assume i answered midback before. I notice now that anything above tailbone neither phases me in pictures nor in real life as "oh wow long", it still may be nice hair and i would pay attention to the condition or movement or whatever but my brain is so oversaturated with images way past classic that omg-length-headturn is probably closer to knee now for me.

Same here.
Waist long hair is not long for me anymore. It's long compared to a bob. Yes. But for me long hair is around classic now.
A year ago or so I answered to this thread that long hair is around waist for me. Now that I'm almost waist it changed.

notnotevil
June 19th, 2016, 06:47 PM
Well I find for men long hair would be past the shoulders, while for women inbetween MBL and Hip length is what I would consider long

Similar opinion here - for men it's about APL (shoulder-ish isn't quite there yet) and for women around MBL is when I start to see them as "long hair".
It seems that the "longer" you're on LHC, the less impressive length such as BSL looks :P (I can totally understand it)

Alun
June 20th, 2016, 04:02 PM
This is the ultimate zombie thread. You can find my comments at numbers 18, 75, 172, 613 and 785, probably because several of those times I forgot I had already posted. Reading numbers 18 and 613 is probably sufficient to summarise what I think.

I am also not the only one to have posted more than once in this thread. See Minako at 911 above.

Lejli
June 21st, 2016, 10:55 PM
anything past the shoulder

polarnatt
June 22nd, 2016, 12:16 PM
For me BSL is the beginning of long, waist is truly long. Anything past that point is super long lol.

brookse
June 25th, 2016, 06:30 AM
Being just passed collarbone, everything feels long lol. But definitely looking at other people, I'd say mid back to waist is probably where I begin to identify anyone as having long hair (since at this point, neither height not proportion are affecting the length quite as much). Looking back at pictures of myself a year ago with MBL hair, I distinctly remember it still feeling short, but I also had layers and fairytale ends in comparison with my current blunt hemline... So I'll say waist is probably where I'll start to feel long too! :)

saaraelisabeth
June 26th, 2016, 04:37 AM
It depends. Usually anything past collarbone, although I feel like my hair (BSL at the moment) is super short compared to someone who has WL... :'D But if I saw my hair on someone else's head, I'd probably think it's long lol.

sommer
July 12th, 2016, 08:59 AM
anything past the shoulder

I think tha same in fact :) Everything which is longer than shoulders and almost reaches your hips like here (http://hairstylezz.com/best-sew-in-hairstyles/5/) is for me the long hair :) I also think that it's the most comfortable long type for the daily routine and total care :rolleyes:
But I also adore the super long types like on these photos, looks amazing!! But I suppose that such hair rather often can be a problem :eek:

http://talkyland.com/media/CACHE/images/posts/2013/9/14/f37b3f2b1b654dad9c4592cf590730cb/c8a8a8dd789cd7daf2d4994c70461282.jpg

https://pp.vk.me/c303506/v303506939/3f45/wCV0yNh2_0E.jpg

Matcha
July 12th, 2016, 11:31 AM
I would consider anything past midback long. Anything between that and shoulder length would be "not short anymore" for me, if that makes any sense.

ElvenEngineer
July 14th, 2016, 06:02 PM
I tend to think of BSL as the beginning of the "long" category. In my mind, it goes like this: Chin or shorter: short. Past chin to APL: medium. BSL to waist: long. Past waist: very long. Of course, this is all relative. But this is how my brain has internalized whatever cultural milieu around hair I've been exposed to.

Dark40
February 10th, 2017, 08:13 AM
For me, I consider BSL and longer....

The Maple Leaf
February 10th, 2017, 11:06 AM
It's arbitrary, but on a woman, I would consider long hair to start when the hair covers the shoulder blades. On a guy, I'm not sure, but it would have to cover the ears. Once it's a bob, yes, that would be long on a guy. I don't consider those typical male hairstyles from the 1970s that covered the ears but were still basically shaped to the head to be "long", but rather, medium-length. On a guy, I would probably consider anything longer than that 1970s hairstyle to be long.

lucid
February 10th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Short: Over shoulder
Medium: Shoulder to BSL/waist
Long: Somewhere between BSL and waist length.

:)

emptyque
February 10th, 2017, 08:16 PM
I think whether I interpret an individual person's hair as long or not depends on other factors. APL looks long to me if the hair is really thick and full, but if it is thin and flat, I wouldn't necessarily look at it and think "that's long hair." I also think curly hair looks like more hair, probably because it usually is.

Salwety
February 10th, 2017, 10:41 PM
Anything past BSL is long hair for me.

Mrstran
February 12th, 2017, 01:57 PM
My opinion I'd have to say (starting to be long) was middle back length. Long, waist length. I won't be content until I reach between the two.
With how much I love long hair, if I had a rounder cute face I'd be rocking a chin length bob instead. I've always loved that style.

WeirdCatEars
February 12th, 2017, 02:33 PM
I think as your own hair gets longer you start thinking of lenghts past that as truly long. I tend to consider waist as the mark for long hair and past knee as very long, back when my hair was at MBL I'd consider that long.

pandabarrier
February 13th, 2017, 06:41 PM
I consider past MBL as long. But recently I watched a hair bun tutorial, and the instructor of the video had floor length hair, so for a couple of days I thought my WL hair was short...

colin
February 13th, 2017, 08:35 PM
Before I grew it out I would have said shoulder length. Since I reached that milestone though it's pretty much just however long my hair is the minimum length for long hair.

Serimel
February 18th, 2017, 06:21 AM
On others I consider beyond waist long. On myself I consider nothing long. XD Maybe I will when it's around tbl or classic. Looking forward to that day when I will have that feeling.

likelikepenny
February 18th, 2017, 07:14 AM
Depends on texture and if it's anyone but myself :). My hair is waist but shrinks to APL so it's not really "long" to me. Straight waist length hair looks long to me though.

BJD
February 18th, 2017, 07:13 PM
For me, BSL is the entrance to the long hair kingdom. But after being around here for a couple of weeks, I'm thinking waist is where it "really" starts being long.

Namaste_Berlin
February 20th, 2017, 01:37 AM
For me it's BSL. But "really" long is the length when it ends in front under my bra ;)

lovetoread
February 25th, 2017, 08:21 PM
Most people say my waist length is very long, and I think on most people I would consider that (WL) long as well. But on me, WL doesn't feel very long, but maybe it's because I'm very short.

PrincessAralin
February 26th, 2017, 05:50 PM
Personally, hair has to be past BSL for me to see it and think 'long hair'.

Aredhel
February 26th, 2017, 05:55 PM
I'm weird, so any hair longer than my own is what I consider long. :p Mine I consider to be almost long.

Fia
February 27th, 2017, 04:01 AM
Perceptions tend to change when you hang out at long hair boards. Initially I would have said BSL and beyond is long, with WL approaching very long. After hanging out in these environments for far too long I now tend to think WL is long and when it approaches classic it starts counting as very long.

littlestarface
March 1st, 2017, 03:53 PM
I'm weird, so any hair longer than my own is what I consider long. :p Mine I consider to be almost long.

Lol me too.

Siri
March 7th, 2017, 01:14 AM
Waist length & beyond

Aidin
March 8th, 2017, 09:25 AM
Longer than waist

Lil_Puddin
March 14th, 2017, 05:55 PM
For me long hair is anything past armpit level. I'd consider myself to have medium length hair and it is at about collarbone length right now. I think my perception of long hair is this way because I have never had my hair longer than shoulder length before.

spidermom
March 14th, 2017, 06:13 PM
It's definitely relative. My hair is reaching collarbone length lately, and that's almost too long.

abribun
March 15th, 2017, 10:24 AM
I would consider waist length and longer to be "long" hair. I can't wait for my hair to reach waist and beyond! I'm currently at APL so it might be a while till I reach it :(

hj3876
March 27th, 2017, 11:53 AM
I consider anything above shoulder length to be "short," anything between shoulder length and BSL to be "medium," and everything past BSL to be "long." Can't wait to have "long" hair again!!!

megthehennahead
March 27th, 2017, 01:32 PM
Commercially, I'd say BSL and longer is considered long, particularly when you look at sample hairstyles in magazines. I used to consider BSL the short end of the long hair category, but now I'm leaning more toward waist and longer.

tiffxcii
March 27th, 2017, 07:28 PM
Waist or longer ! :)

cactus89
March 28th, 2017, 07:55 PM
I'm a distance runner and over the years I've come up with a chart that determines the length of my hair based on how long it takes to coax into submission before exercise:
True pixie to tops of shoulders: 0-30 secs (SHORT)
Shoulders to APL: 30 secs-5 mins (MID-LENGTH)
APL to MID-BACK: 5-10 mins (LONG)
Everything else: VERY LONG

Everything above my shoulders I either a) don't have to fuss with at all or b) wrestle into a short ponytail. Everything below my shoulders requires a French braid.

Marette
March 28th, 2017, 08:43 PM
Funny, but I was just thinking about this the other day. During my lifetime the definition of long hair has really changed. I think extensions have had a lot to do with it. Until fake hair pieces, "falls", and extensions came into wide use by the general public, it seems like long hair was anything long enough to break over the shoulders. Now when I look at photos of hairdos for medium length hair, it is what I would have been considered long hair in the "olden" days. With extensions, I think the criteria for long hair now is longer than it was 20, 30, or 40 years ago. When Mia Farrow first started on "Peyton Place", her hair was given a lot of attention for being very long. But in actuality it didn't reach her waist. It was usually about mid back length until she cut it. Anyone else have the same impression that the definition of long hair has changed over time?

PillowForts17
March 28th, 2017, 09:57 PM
I'm a distance runner and over the years I've come up with a chart that determines the length of my hair based on how long it takes to coax into submission before exercise:

I can agree with this one. I have never grown my hair longer than BSL thought so that might be part of the reason I feel this way. But I also think the definition of "long hair" has changed over time. I don't know if it's extensions or what, but I do think what used to be considered long is now considered to be short or medium length.

LadyMikaelson
March 29th, 2017, 06:12 PM
BSL is what I've always considered long hair, but it's slowly changing to waist length.

MemeAimee
March 30th, 2017, 06:47 AM
I've always considered waist length to be long, and anything more to be extra long. But, since I cut my hair to shoulder length last year, my now APL hair seems to be the beginning of long. My ultimate goal is TBL. :D

Faustine
April 1st, 2017, 03:54 AM
Anything under the armpits is long to me (above that I see it as medium, and anything above the chin I see as short)

I think the perception a lot of people have about what they view as long hair might perhaps be the result of comparison.

You can make a parallel with money here : some millionaires don't see themselves as rich, because there are multi-millionaires, billionaires, even trillionaires out there. But me and you know damn well they are objectively rich, no matter what seem to believe.

At this point I'm sure there are some men and women out there with waist length hair that might genuinely think they have medium hair, because there are people with incredibly long hair that reach the floor.

(I have no idea if I manage to articulate my thought here, sometimes my English can get quite bad lol)

But anyway, I find perception in general to be a fascinating thing ^^

_fred_
April 1st, 2017, 12:24 PM
Anything under the armpits is long to me (above that I see it as medium, and anything above the chin I see as short)

I think the perception a lot of people have about what they view as long hair might perhaps be the result of comparison.

You can make a parallel with money here : some millionaires don't see themselves as rich, because there are multi-millionaires, billionaires, even trillionaires out there. But me and you know damn well they are objectively rich, no matter what seem to believe.

At this point I'm sure there are some men and women out there with waist length hair that might genuinely think they have medium hair, because there are people with incredibly long hair that reach the floor.

(I have no idea if I manage to articulate my thought here, sometimes my English can get quite bad lol)

But anyway, I find perception in general to be a fascinating thing ^^

I get what you mean (and for what it's worth I think you articulated it perfectly well :) ). I hope that once I manage to get mine to at least APL I'll start to think of it as long, rather than adjusting my definition of 'long hair' to mean something I haven't achieved yet and am still aiming for.

Right now I think of chin to APL as medium, APL to waist as long, and anything below waist as super long.

Faustine
April 1st, 2017, 11:24 PM
Thank you for reassuring me fred :)
(My English is far from perfect, and I find myself regularly to be unsure of my phrasings haha.)

NikitaJane
April 4th, 2017, 03:44 AM
I'd say waist length + is long.

But it can depend on the person, sometimes I look at other peoples hair and think it's long when it isn't that much longer than mine, probably around BSL. That looks long on them but on me I'd still think that was pretty short.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
April 16th, 2017, 12:22 PM
I think hip+ is long.

Tawny1992
April 16th, 2017, 12:34 PM
To me, long is to point where a lady can cover her chest with her hair and pretend to be a mermaid. XD

nitagurl
April 16th, 2017, 02:48 PM
I don't care what anyone says lol. Hair isn't long until it reaches Classic. From there on down live the elusive members of the long hair society :bowtome::laugh:

From bald to BSL is "short". From Mid-back to TBL is "medium" (although I still find myself calling that short as well since my hair is in the "medium" phase. Apparently I can't cut myself a break). But as soon as I reach tailbone I'm going to be doing the funky chicken because that'll mean I'm finally approaching the finish line.. LENGTH ;)

guywithlonghair
April 17th, 2017, 06:02 PM
For women, I think probably past waist is long, and for guys I think anywhere past shoulder.

TheJourney
April 17th, 2017, 07:32 PM
For me I used to think BSL was long hair. But after seeing pics of classic and longer length (and my goal being TBL) now when I see BSL I think it looks short .

_flora_
April 17th, 2017, 07:47 PM
Outside this community, I find armpit length as the starting point to long hair. Anything past MBL is specially long hair. Among the long hair community, to me, long hair starts at waist length.

paiged
July 25th, 2018, 10:01 PM
I consider long hair to be BSL to waist. Waist and on is really long.

Xlena
July 26th, 2018, 07:35 AM
For me it's something like this:
- Super short: Pixie + CBL
- Short: SL + APL
- Medium: BSL + MBL
- Long: WL + HL + TBL
- Super long: Classic + Mid tight + Knee
- Extremely long: From calf to Rapunzel from Tangled xd

C_Bookworm
July 26th, 2018, 09:34 AM
For anyone else: BSL+
For me: :p Still haven’t got there. It seems to permanently feel about 6 inches longer than my current length

MoonRabbit
July 26th, 2018, 09:45 AM
I would consider hip long on everyone else. Personally for me, tailbone is the first stage of getting long since it has become obvious to strangers while I am out. True long hair is classic in my eyes.

nycelle
July 26th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Generally, anyone that has hair mid-back and below is long to me.
APL is medium. BSL is longish..

Wait and beyond is very, very long..

Panthera
July 27th, 2018, 06:53 AM
bsl-waist: medium length
waist-tbl: longish
classic+ long

browneyedsusan
July 27th, 2018, 07:23 AM
On women: anything past BSL is "long"
On men: anything past SL is "long"

iforgotmylogin
July 27th, 2018, 08:48 AM
And now for something completely different - Long to me is when you can tie all* your hair together in one spot without falling out or pinning or anything

* Undercuts don't count

illicitlizard
July 27th, 2018, 08:53 AM
IMO long is waist length or longer. It used to bother me when I was charged the 'long hair' surcharge when my hair was ~APL...

ravenskey
July 27th, 2018, 08:54 AM
For me it's something like this:

Short: Pixie - Shoulder Length
Medium: SL - Mid Back Length
Long: MBL - Classic Length
Extremely Long: CL - Floor and Beyond

darren
July 28th, 2018, 10:27 AM
I think of it as different for men and women. For men it is long when it can all be tied back. For women I would say I start to think of it as being long somewhere in the midback to waist area.

Catnappen
July 28th, 2018, 07:21 PM
What *I* want is waist length. I have been mid back/bra strap length in the past, that felt like a "good" length but not *long*. I haven't been able to get it past that so for me I want *long* hair, aka, waist length.

Crna Kosa
August 31st, 2018, 03:56 PM
I think bsl+ is long , but only at classic starts really long :)

Singing Skies
August 31st, 2018, 05:57 PM
For me, I’ve always considered WL to be long, and I still do. Maybe that’s also due to the fact that I have never made it past BSL :o

hanniejayyy
September 9th, 2018, 01:02 PM
i think waist length and beyond is ‘long’ hair.

Corvana
September 9th, 2018, 02:31 PM
I've always considered shoulder to apl "kinda long", apl to bsl "long", bsl to like... Hip "pretty long", hip to classic "very long", and past classic "really long".

MotherofPhoenix
September 9th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Considering I have just below shoulder length hair, I think APL is the beginnings of long hair.

Joules
September 10th, 2018, 01:41 AM
For me long starts at hip. BSL-WL is average, APL is short, everything shorter than APL is really short. Pixies are unthinkable :bluebiggr

It's funny how this community changes perception. I follow a hair salon on instagram, they sometimes demonstrate "hairstyles for long hair" or "haircuts for long hair" on models with APL length hair, I'm always like "whaaaaaaaaaaaat????" :bluebiggr

DaughterOfDawn
September 12th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Reading these replies has been awesome! It's fascinating how different it is for everyone. My influences in this matter are, primarily, the other folks living in my area and my family.
For me, personally, it is as follows:
Women: short - CBL and shorter
medium - APL to waist
long - hip to classic
anything longer than classic I, personally, refer to as "religious long" and anything shorter than chin as "man short"

For men: short - ear/nose length and shorter
medium - chin to APL
long - bottom of shoulder blades and beyond
I refer to a man as having "no hair" if it is buzzed/cut short enough as to not be able to grab and pull a piece between the fingers.

I realize my view and labels of choice may sound ignorant, and I apologize if it offends anyone! I do not wish to insult anyone!

Anaconda
September 13th, 2018, 06:15 AM
I see it more as a technical thing. What length can you comfortably do most standard up-dos? BSL was fine for me. I only "notice" hair as being "long" visually if I see it hovering around hip, though. Anything above APL is short kn my eyes, especially if it's heavily layered.

Xan
September 13th, 2018, 10:36 PM
Passing knees now we are talking.

Xu
September 14th, 2018, 07:37 AM
Waist and below, anything less i'm used to talk about as medium length.

Natalia_A00
September 14th, 2018, 07:47 AM
For me waist length. That's when it starts being actually long
APL looks really short to me, for example

VersLaLumière
September 14th, 2018, 09:58 AM
Waist, which is why it was my first goal length. I’m 5’ 8.5” so that’s pretty long on me (and the point where my hair is getting into everything, needs special care, attracts reactions from people, etc). I think waist length hair looks long on most people to me, though, whether they’re taller or not.

Waist is long, hip is REALLY long.

VersLaLumière
September 14th, 2018, 10:10 AM

Everything above my shoulders I either a) don't have to fuss with at all or b) wrestle into a short ponytail. Everything below my shoulders requires a French braid.

Great point. Once my hair was passing MBL I noticed securing it for workouts became more of a production than before.

sallyd
September 15th, 2018, 10:38 AM
I think it depends on where you are, geographically and chronologically.

I'm in Britain, where adult women tend to go for shorter hair styles. Teenage girls here still (as when I was a young'un) dominantly have pretty long hair - waist length up to BSL, almost never shorter than that. Anybody older than 25 or so who's a woman is statistically likely to have a pixie / bob / other above-the-shoulders do. I'm a total outlier with my waist-length renegray hair at 61 years of age! I get away with it, with minimal staring and pointing, because I live right next to one of the hippy capitals of the South West - Stroud.... :)

Of course in the LHC world, I have short hair.... :}

JennyLue
October 13th, 2018, 10:59 PM
I thing waist length and longer

Dragon
August 17th, 2020, 04:11 AM
For a guy, Shoulder length, BSL on a female and WL as very long for both genders.

Glitch
November 26th, 2022, 12:45 AM
Waist and longer. But on a taller person like myself, WL appears short to me so in that case I'd consider hip length and longer as "long hair".