PDA

View Full Version : How do you do a simple french braid by yourself?

Locke
August 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I've looked around a little but I haven't been able to find anything for this very particular detail.

Here's the situation : my hair, as it is now, is the longest it's been for me in my life. I only started almost three years ago. So it's no wonder that hair care has been on and off during that time, and that I'm still learning. Recently, a friend of mine did a french braid to me, and I kept it for sleeping. It was just so much better in the morning as it cut down the maintenance time by half. I had so much less detangling to do (It's very fine hair, so it seems to tangle up easily).

My question : does anyone know of a good step by step article in how to do a simple french braid by yourself? With in mind that the person doing it has never ever done one. I tried several times, but I can't figure out how to cross my arms over each other and how to hold the strands properly. It just seems to all tangle messily.

Thanks for the help

Elphie
August 6th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I'm sure you can find some examples on Youtube, I happen to like this tutorial.
http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/self_french.htm

yellowchariot
August 6th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Hey awesome avatar! are you a Final Fantasy RPG fan? I love Final Fantasy games! I just don't have the time to play them anymore!!! :o

I am currently in a similar situation. When I do outside lawn work I find that french/dutch braids (aka mohawk warrior braid) are the best ways to keep all of the hair out of your face. Usually if I'm with someone who knows how to, they will put one in for me. Though just recently I almost done one on myself. Since then, I've been practicing everyday. I'm almost ready to actually "commission" it for the outdoors LOL!

Being a guy, all of this hair stuff is foreign in nature to me. Though I might as well learn all I can, because I've grown my hair out, and cut it, and tried different styles, so I probably should learn all that I can haha.

My advice is to go on www.youtube.com (http://www.youtube.com) and just type in "french braid" and watch closely how the fingers move. However some of them are way too fast to monitor. Just pause it a few times and re- watch.

There are many many different ways that people hold their fingers and hands just to move the strands around, but I think I've found a much easier way that may not be too complicated to do on once self. . .ssshhh!! It's in top secret development right now, don't tell anyone! lol j/k :D

plainjanegirl
August 6th, 2009, 08:31 PM
check out torrinpaige on youtube.

yellowchariot
August 6th, 2009, 08:44 PM
check out torrinpaige on youtube.

^ Great video! I couldn't remember who it was, but that was the one I was going to recommend! That woman has awesome blond hair!

There is another woman that is linked to her youtube channel, with long dark hair, and she also does a killer braid.

heatherdazy
August 6th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Good luck! It took me about three months of practice to figure out how to do one on myself... hopefully with a youtube tutorial, you'll be able to learn much more quickly! It is definitely a lifesaver of a style!

Rivanariko
August 6th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Check out the videos suggested, and then practice practice practice! It will be a tangled mess for a while That's okay! I spent MONTHS (before I joined LHC, even) trying to figure out the french braid. Every morning, I would get up, brush my hair (obviouslyl, pre-LHC, I never brush my hair now!), attempt a french braid, Sigh that it was still lumpy and very very uneven, take it out, and do a regular english braid instead. One day, after much struggle, it suddenly started to click. The world of braiding suddenly opened up to me and I learned how to divide strands between my fingers and keep control of my hair. But it took me FOREVER to figure it out.
I also have very fine hair, and it still tries to tangle itself while I'm braiding it, but it's getting easier to control as my fingers become more nimble. It just takes time. Good luck! :)

Madame J
August 7th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I echo the suggestion to practice a lot! The more you do something repetitive, the more economical you get at it -- so instead of crossing your arms to make a braid, you'll find you just need to cross fingers. You'll make smaller movements and braid faster. I'm really quick at making neat French braids, but only because I've been braiding my own hair for 20 years (give or take, since I was short-haired for a little bit of that). Good luck!

camirra555
August 7th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I'd really like to learn this as well. Especially since my hair is almost the longest I've ever had it. I think because my hair is so curly I'll only be able to do it on wet hair though, which means I'll have to wash it any time I want to practice.

SpinDance
August 7th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I sat with the below book in my lap, and my hands in my hair making knots for about 2 weeks, every evening after work, until one day my hands finally 'got' it. After that it was great. I had to work out some little tricks to keep things smooth, like after adding a new bit of hair to the braid sort of gently readjust and straighten the new combined section before continuing with the next turn, and not to try to watch what I'm doing in the mirror. That will mess me up every time!

This is the book I had:
http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Braids-Step-Step-Braiding/dp/0517886170/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249650429&sr=8-8

There are several other good books, some with pretty good picture instructions, but of course it is probably easier to watch the videos.

Stormsong
August 7th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I learnt to french braid on someone else first, once I knew what I was looking at and where my hands were in relation to the three bits I started doing my own as I could then visualise the back of my head and the braiding a lot more.

heatherdazy
August 7th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I'd really like to learn this as well. Especially since my hair is almost the longest I've ever had it. I think because my hair is so curly I'll only be able to do it on wet hair though, which means I'll have to wash it any time I want to practice.
Or you could just spray it down! :)

yellowchariot
August 7th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I learnt to french braid on someone else first, once I knew what I was looking at and where my hands were in relation to the three bits I started doing my own as I could then visualise the back of my head and the braiding a lot more.

^ +1 on that Stormsong, I learned how to braid because my g/f at the time wanted me to :). Once you understand what exactly it is you are doing when you can see the pattern, then you can get the mental concept down pat. But when you try it on yourself, then it becomes somewhat awkward, because your not accustomed to your arms and fingers being behind your head doing the motion.

LutraLutra
August 7th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I couldn't french braid until I found this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q74Efp4P5Tw)on you tube - it's fantastic. :)

I'd also say, sit down and relax, don't forget to breathe, and rest your elbows on your knees for support (if you need to). I also find I braid better if I close my eyes - strange, but true.

KarenLynn
August 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM
There's also this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=33) right here in the articles section.

yellowchariot
August 7th, 2009, 12:48 PM
There's also this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=33) right here in the articles section.

Thanks KarenLynn!

That will come in handy! Great tutorial!

annuscka
August 7th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I taught myself with this article; here. (http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/article/french-braid-071463/) Read it every morning for a week or something, then it sat.

For some reason I taught myself to Dutch braid first, before even knowing what it was (or, that it wasn't French, more like). Took me forever to drill it into myself to go OVER, not under. These days I do a French braid without thinking much (did it on the metro today) - but Dutch isn't as natural these days. Feels upside down, of course...

redneckprincess
August 7th, 2009, 01:36 PM
honistly...i dont know I just do, you know whats funny I can do a better job if I dont look in a mirror..

annuscka
August 7th, 2009, 01:58 PM
honistly...i dont know I just do, you know whats funny I can do a better job if I dont look in a mirror..

Oh yes, please for the love of all that's holy DON'T look in the mirror!! :D Seriously. I go insane as soon as I do.

yellowchariot
August 7th, 2009, 02:16 PM
This was another video on I meant to post. This lady has awesome hair, and you can see how she's moving her fingers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCFr_VeyKdc&feature=PlayList&p=017AE231BE6414FD&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=40

krn2891
August 7th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Practice, Practice, and Practice some more. As other have said, don't cross your arms just use your fingers and the turning of the wrist to move the hair over the middle piece.
Also while learning on other is helpful to get the idea and pattern down of french braiding, you need to also practice on yourself because I know for me I hold my hands in different possitions when I'm braiding my own hair and when I'm braiding someone elses hair. When I'm braiding some one else hair my palms are face up from the head but on my own hair they are face down, so that is something to keep in mind if you are practicing on someone elses hair.

Arfed
August 7th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Here is a really good LHC article (with a video) which I used to learn how to french braid:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=33

The video there is really useful, as it gives you a much better idea of what you need to do, since you don't have to 'visualize' the written instructions in your head. (N.B. Be prepared to have very sore arms as you practice :))

EDIT: Ah oops, KarenLynn already posted a link to the article earlier on :)

camirra555
August 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM

I wish I had someone to practice on! I have two sisters with similar hair to mine but it's longer. Unfortunately they live 4 hours away and all my female friends have hair that is to short to french braid. I'm thinking of getting one of those doll heads to practice on

Jessikinz
August 9th, 2009, 09:14 PM
A lot of practice! I watched a lot of youtube tutorials over and over again, and bookmarked articles on the internet and read through them over and over again as well. It took me about a couple of weeks for my fingers to get used to it. Then it just took more practice to try to make it look neater and not so messed up. Basically I use my fingers to detangle after I add more hair, it's easier this way for me. Also I don't like looking in the mirror when I'm french braiding. It turns out much better then expected. Good luck :)

Locke
November 26th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I'd like to thank everyone for their recommendation. I've been trying on and off in the last few weeks, but I've yet to be able to make one by myself. My roommate has helped a few times to make me at least a simple three strands braid (I tried the typical french braid, starting at the top, but... UGH... I'll forget that for now :P)

Here's my problem : I get the movement that needs to be done, but my fingers lose themselves in my hair. Then while I try to rectify the situation, they tangle and start making knots, so I have to stop and untangle before trying again. :( I usually lose patience after 30 minutes and figure I'll try again some other time, but it's always the same.

(Also, I have no one to practice on. So I'm stuck with trying blindly).

/edit/ I'd love to be able to do it at least once for University. There's soooo many guys with long hair where I go (about 1 in 10), but I haven't seen a single one with a braid. I have to find some way to become unique again :P

danacc
November 26th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I'd like to thank everyone for their recommendation. I've been trying on and off in the last few weeks, but I've yet to be able to make one by myself. My roommate has helped a few times to make me at least a simple three strands braid (I tried the typical french braid, starting at the top, but... UGH... I'll forget that for now :P)

Here's my problem : I get the movement that needs to be done, but my fingers lose themselves in my hair. Then while I try to rectify the situation, they tangle and start making knots, so I have to stop and untangle before trying again. :( I usually lose patience after 30 minutes and figure I'll try again some other time, but it's always the same.

(Also, I have no one to practice on. So I'm stuck with trying blindly).

/edit/ I'd love to be able to do it at least once for University. There's soooo many guys with long hair where I go (about 1 in 10), but I haven't seen a single one with a braid. I have to find some way to become unique again :P

Braiding where you can see what you're doing is a great help if you are new to it. If I read your post correctly, you are starting with trying a "simple 3-strand braid" and not a French braid. (You're definitely on the right track by starting with a 3-strand if you're not comfortable with it before tackling a French braid.)

Here's my recommendation: find a way to practice on something other than your hair. The something doesn't have to be hair. I learned with rope that had frayed for several feet. You could use yarn. Cut several pieces of a few feet, and tie together at one end. Separate into 3 sections, and practice, practice, practice. String would work, too.

If you want to get the feel of "hair", get a long-haired doll. Preferably, get a larger-sized one, at least 15", instead of something like a standard Barbie. You want length to work with.

Once you can easily braid what's not on your head, then try it "blind" on yourself. Once you can easily do a "simple" 3-strand braid on your own head, you can start practicing the French braid method. Don't be in a rush to jump to this, though. Braiding takes practice. It will be hard at first, and with practice will become easier and easier.

Locke
February 8th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Quite a bump, but I just want to thank everyone for their advices. Yup, it took me this long to finally be able to do it by myself. A few days ago I was able to do my first nice braid, and now I can wear it to work everyday, it's much better then the mess that was a simple ponytail ;)

So yes, two pics uploaded of my first braid in my album. Thanks again ^-^

little_cherry
February 8th, 2010, 09:30 PM
.... I also find I braid better if I close my eyes - strange, but true.
Same here! I can visualise the movements in my head. It really helps!

I find my hair easier to braid after I've oiled it. :)

elina333
February 9th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Check out youtube!

Carolyn
February 9th, 2010, 07:21 AM
The YouTube vids are great. You'll probably need to watch them multiple times. And watch as many different ones as you can find. Sometimes one will "click" with you while others won't. When you are doing the braid you need to visualize what you have seen. The eyes closed idea is a good one. The one thing I'd like to add that I haven't seen anyone else mention, is learn to do it by "Braille". Don't use a mirror. You will just confuse yourself. You have to see the pick ups and crossovers in your mind. In the mirror it's all backwards.

Teufelchen
February 9th, 2010, 07:44 AM
My hair tangles quite easy as well. Try practicing just before you wash you could also put some oil or conditioner in for easy braiding, until you can really do it and your fingers know how to french braid. Then you can try it at other times.
The oil or conditioner gives your hair a treatment and protect it from damage while trying to french brais and you have an easy job, because the strands are held together be the oil. Does anyone get what I mean?
Really look at Torrins Videos she explains it really well and it is easy to see what she is doing, as it shows up nicely due to her blonde hair.

aililiú
February 9th, 2010, 07:07 PM
ive also just started doing french braids for when i go to sleep-- it keeps my hair in much better condition, since im prone to being a tangle-head. a bonus for keeping my hair out of my partners face!
&then i liked so much how it kept my hair off my face that ive been wearing it during the day!
i dont have a lot of practice with french braiding (or any braiding) so ive started doing two side braids rather than one on the back of my head. much easier to start with. :p once i get used to this ill try a single, but im not there yet!

merryhair
February 10th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Look up on youtube...you'll find some great tutorials there. Good luck!:D

Sammich
February 10th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I taught myself with this article; here. (http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/article/french-braid-071463/) Read it every morning for a week or something, then it sat.

For some reason I taught myself to Dutch braid first, before even knowing what it was (or, that it wasn't French, more like). Took me forever to drill it into myself to go OVER, not under. These days I do a French braid without thinking much (did it on the metro today) - but Dutch isn't as natural these days. Feels upside down, of course...

I did exactly this! :p
I learnt the dutch braid on one side of my head (I was doing side 'frenchies....) and one side was a dutch, the other was a french. :p
But yes, echoing what others have said.
I just practiced, and I actually did mine for the first time a few days ago! By watching my mother do someone else's hair about 2 times in my life, I feel so hair talented... :cheese: :D

yellowchariot
February 10th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Quite a bump, but I just want to thank everyone for their advices. Yup, it took me this long to finally be able to do it by myself. A few days ago I was able to do my first nice braid, and now I can wear it to work everyday, it's much better then the mess that was a simple ponytail ;)

So yes, two pics uploaded of my first braid in my album. Thanks again ^-^

Cool braid Locke, rock on :thumbsup:! I also have a youtube tutorial if you want to check it out. The link should be on my profile page.

The YouTube vids are great. You'll probably need to watch them multiple times. And watch as many different ones as you can find. Sometimes one will "click" with you while others won't. When you are doing the braid you need to visualize what you have seen. The eyes closed idea is a good one. The one thing I'd like to add that I haven't seen anyone else mention, is learn to do it by "Braille". Don't use a mirror. You will just confuse yourself. You have to see the pick ups and crossovers in your mind. In the mirror it's all backwards.

Hey Carolyn, I first learned on a tri-fold mirror. I adjusted each angle of the mirror so I could see both sides of my head. This helped me see how to measure the sections of hair I could skim back from each side of my head, and not pickup extra hair that could be used for the next section.
Then I close my eyes and make the cross-over. I get an even braid going down the center of my head when I close my eyes and mentally visualize crossing over. :D
Sometimes I do braid without a mirror, just to practice my Jedi skills LOL! Though, I'm not strong enough with the force just yet :o