PDA

View Full Version : To those who keep their shed hairs...

Monkey962
August 6th, 2009, 05:23 PM
How do you do it? Do you stick them to some tape or store them in a box for later? I'd like to do it myself, since it seems like such a waste to throw all those hairs away (and re-carpeting the floor).

Also, what do y'all do with them? I know some of you use it for color testing, but I don't color my hair.

Spring
August 6th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I'd like to know this, as I have not been able to save shed hair for more than one combing. I'm always curious about the amount of hair I actually shed, but besides the time it takes me to count, a part of me doesn't want to know ( I probably shed close to 50-90 strands a day).

ericthegreat
August 6th, 2009, 07:26 PM
After I have collected all the shed hair from my all over the floor of my house, brushes, combs, and the shower drain I carefully line them all up from roots to ends. I then stick the roots of these hairs to a piece of scotch tape approximately 6 inches long. Here are two pics from my photo gallery showing the finished project:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3493&pictureid=44749

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3493&pictureid=44750

GlassEyes
August 6th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I saved hem for hair dye, but I didn't bother doing it neatly, so I'm probably of no help.

However, there are a number of things you can do with it. You could donate it (not to LOL, or something--but Pantene Great Lengths is good, and there's another one that uses hair to absorb the oil form oil spills), make a headband with it (braided, I guess), or even make rope with it.

Or you could just save them all up, pile them on your head, run out of your room screaming 'AHHHHHHH, I'M GOING BALD' and disturb some people. Might be a tad offensive to those with alopecia, though...

Monkey962
August 6th, 2009, 10:17 PM
However, there are a number of things you can do with it. You could donate it (not to LOL, or something--but Pantene Great Lengths is good, and there's another one that uses hair to absorb the oil form oil spills)

That sounds likea really good idea. That way I can tell people I already donated my hair, despite the fact that there's still quite a but on my head.:D

pradabacon
August 6th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Donate it to the birdies to put in their nests. :D That's what I do. I think I'm gonna start putting it in a baggie to scare my husband with, though...

pradabacon
August 6th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Or you could just save them all up, pile them on your head, run out of your room screaming 'AHHHHHHH, I'M GOING BALD' and disturb some people. Might be a tad offensive to those with alopecia, though...

:spitting: I've done a variation on this...I took a big wad of shed hair and hid it in my fist, walked up to DH, fake coughed and threw the hair at him, and said, "Sorry, hairball!"

Cheros
August 7th, 2009, 12:34 AM
:spitting: I've done a variation on this...I took a big wad of shed hair and hid it in my fist, walked up to DH, fake coughed and threw the hair at him, and said, "Sorry, hairball!"
:razz: That's brilliant

Stephichan
August 7th, 2009, 03:40 AM
When I was prepping for henna strand tests I had a small ziploc bag set aside special for my hairs. I wasn't very careful about lining them up root to end, but it seems to have worked out okay. Of course I felt really weird for a while with a bag of my own hair sitting beside me on my desk...

EtherealOde
August 7th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I put mine in a little plastic box that used to hold baby wipes. The tape idea is pretty good though, if only I had the patience to do that...

Feli
August 7th, 2009, 04:05 AM
I had no idea that people do this??? Over the months and years you must have masses of shed hairs. Do you throw them away every once in a while?

I always throw mine away.

FallenAngel
August 7th, 2009, 04:06 AM

I took a big wad of shed hair and hid it in my fist, walked up to DH, fake coughed and threw the hair at him, and said, "Sorry, hairball!"

:spitting:

You guys!!! :D

SimplyViki
August 7th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I'm sporadically saving mine, on-and-off depending on when I've got enough time to carefully arrange them (or when I'm motivated enough - I'm incredibly lazy sometimes).

I have a piece of tape folded sticky-side out on my desk at work behind my computer monitor. I just stick the root ends to it, and when it's got a dozen or more hairs, I add them to the stash I'm collecting in an envelope. To keep them neat in the envelope, I wet the strand whenever I'm adding a new little bunch, and smooth it neatly, and then coil it before placing it back in the envelope. I leave the root end free from the coil, though, otherwise it'll all turn into one big tangle.

EdG
August 7th, 2009, 06:59 AM
:spitting: I've done a variation on this...I took a big wad of shed hair and hid it in my fist, walked up to DH, fake coughed and threw the hair at him, and said, "Sorry, hairball!":rollin:

I save my longest shed hairs in a manila envelope. I record the length and date. :)
Ed

Carrie Ingalls
August 7th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I have started saving them ever since my hiking trip in mid July. However, I have yet to organize them (the ones of significant length, maybe 30+ inches) neatly with all the roots at one end. I am also toying with the idea of setting up a measuring system and saving them in groups of similar length (30-40in and 40-50in...etc).

My goal is some super nifty braids like others here have done.

~Carrie

EtherealOde
August 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM
The reason I saved mine was for little clumps I could use as testers when I dyed my hair, but you know if I managed to have the patience to save and sort my shed hairs and make a braid from them it would make a pretty nifty hair piece. I could use it to wrap ponytails, or to add interest to updos...*starts thinking*