PDA

View Full Version : what are your (hair) measurements

redneckprincess
August 6th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Just curious what hair length measures for body part milestones for everyone else. measuring according to LHC measurements. weather you have met each milestone or have yet to.

my height: 5'6"

SHLDR: 16"
APL: 21"
BSL: 23"
WAIST: 31"
HIP: 36"

ETA: it has come to my attention that I forgot to add the following, sorry! (I will add mine after I measure)

TB:
Classic:
Knee:

Loviatar
August 6th, 2009, 08:52 AM
LOL mine are ridiculous. I am nearly 6 feet tall and my measurements are so annoyingly far off where I am right now.

BSL - 27 inches
Waist - 36
Tailbone - 42
Classic - 48
Knee - 60

Ridiculous. :(

Sheltie_Momma
August 6th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I'm short. I thought I would need 40 inches to reach my goal of tailbone. Got the tape measure out the other night and realized 40 inches is fingertip on me. I was happy to realize my shortness is good for something. and that I'm now less than 10 inches from my goal.

I'm currently at 29", which falls about 3 inches past BSL for me.

My goal of hip will end up being about 36 inches or so.

Vermelha
August 6th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Yeah, my measurements are pretty interesting. Plus, I have a short torso...

APL: 16-18"
BSL: 19-21"
MBL: 22-23"
WL: 24-26"

pink.sara
August 6th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I've never thought to do this before! Kind of gives you a growing goal to aim for :)

I'm 5ft 9 ins so not as tall as Loviatar and kind of in the middle growth wise.

APL:22"
BSL:25"
WAIST:33"
HIP:38"

My longest hair ever was 50 inches dreaded and until recently 42 inches just past tailbone which I hope to be back to by 2014! :eek:

Sarah4983
August 6th, 2009, 09:11 AM
What an interesting topic! It's cool to see how different everyone is...

My height: 5'8"

Shoulder: 16"
BSL: 24"
WL: 33"

Irishred
August 6th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Ohh, I have this one in picture format....:cheese:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/momandscout/hairmeasurements.jpg

I did that over 3 years ago and I am now 49" of hair :o

Vermelha
August 6th, 2009, 09:42 AM
What an interesting topic! It's cool to see how different everyone is...

My height: 5'8"

Shoulder: 16"
BSL: 24"
WL: 33"

Interesting. In your signature (of which your hair is gorgeous), your first picture is my hair length now. But when I let it rest on my back, the longest layers reach APL. I've probably measured wrong and it's actually longer than I think. I'm just mentioning this because your hair looks very much close to APL in the first one.

So, APL and SL the same for some people? I always thought SL was when your hair was touching/grazing or around the same level as the top of shoulders, not if it's past your shoulders.

Just trying to figure hair lengths out. Also, I don't measure from the front of my hair, but from my center part at the very root of the hair down the sides and down the back from the middle of the top of my head, since the back length starts at the top/center of my head, and not the very front (I have a natural center part).

redneckprincess
August 6th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Ohh, I have this one in picture format....:cheese:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/momandscout/hairmeasurements.jpg

I did that over 3 years ago and I am now 49" of hair :o ohh see I knew I missed more measurements. , thats a really cool picture though

Interesting. In your signature (of which your hair is gorgeous), your first picture is my hair length now. But when I let it rest on my back, the longest layers reach APL. I've probably measured wrong and it's actually longer than I think. I'm just mentioning this because your hair looks very much close to APL in the first one.

So, APL and SL the same for some people? I always thought SL was when your hair was touching/grazing or around the same level as the top of shoulders, not if it's past your shoulders.

Just trying to figure hair lengths out. Also, I don't measure from the front of my hair, but from my center part at the very root of the hair down the sides and down the back from the middle of the top of my head, since the back length starts at the top/center of my head, and not the very front (I have a natural center part).
take a look at the pic above that should help you...or better yet get a pic of yourself and if you cant figure it out someone here can help ♥

freckles
August 6th, 2009, 10:15 AM
on me, BSL is 26" (that's where I am now), and my goal of tailbone is ~36". I don't know the rest though.

young&reckless
August 6th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I have wiast length hair but thats only 24 inches worth! No wonder I can not do as many buns as I'd like.

P.S. I'm 5 foot 2 inches. Travel sized

maskedrose
August 6th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I'm 5'6

Shoulder: ~16"
APL: 23"
BSL: 27"
Waist: 31"
Hip: 33"
TBL: ~37"

I haven't measured any longer than that, since I don't plan on growing farther than TBL max. I've got a really long torso, so getting to waist takes FOREVER.

janeytilllie
August 6th, 2009, 11:23 AM
MY HEIGHT 4ft 8

SHL 16"
APL 20"
BSL 24"
WAIST 29"
TBL 35"
CLASSIC 40"
KNEE 46"

Vermelha
August 6th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I have wiast length hair but thats only 24 inches worth! No wonder I can not do as many buns as I'd like.

Ok, I feel better now. 24" is WL on me too. I'm 5'5" with a short torso though.

Irishred
August 6th, 2009, 12:05 PM
there are a couple for between shoulder and APL but I couldn't remember them, since I was way past at the time I didn't add them. ... Shoulder blade is one. better for mini goals I know.

pradabacon
August 6th, 2009, 12:05 PM

:D Me, too!

I'm 62" tall (on a good day). I'm also very high-waisted with long legs (for my height, that is :p). Getting to hip is relatively easy. Anything longer takes forever! Hip to floor is 37" of my total height, and hip to the top of my head is only 25"! I'm a mutant!!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-alien004.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Shoulder: 15"
APL: 19"
Waist: 26"
Hip: 30"
TB: 36"
Classic: 41"
Thigh: 47"
Knee: 53"

Fascinating thread, RP! I love to see the variation in people. :thumbsup:

Vermelha
August 6th, 2009, 12:07 PM
ohh see I knew I missed more measurements. , thats a really cool picture though

take a look at the pic above that should help you...or better yet get a pic of yourself and if you cant figure it out someone here can help ♥

It did help with determining where the body markers were: APL, BSL and beyond, but as far as numbers went, I actually went ahead and measured because my torso is shorter.

SL was 13-14" on me and APL was 16-17" on me, like I originally thought. 20" would be definite BSL on me and 24" is WL.

Much like this chart here:
http://www.textureplayground.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/hair-growth-chart.jpg

This chart was most accurate for me. My hair is right under where the black line is drawn (I haven't a clue who drew that line...) My hair fell exactly where this diagram fell for me.

AnneAdeline
August 6th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I'm 5'2". Travel size, I like that young&reckless!

Hmm...I am too lazy to go grab the measuring tape, but this is what I think:
BSL - 26"
Waist - 30"
Hip - 33" (I think, it's hard to tell)
And I don't have any measurements for anything else.

redneckprincess
August 6th, 2009, 12:22 PM
there are a couple for between shoulder and APL but I couldn't remember them, since I was way past at the time I didn't add them. ... Shoulder blade is one. better for mini goals I know.

see I knew there were mini goals between everything like that, Im very interested in knowing what is between shldr & APL I think I may be at shoulder blade, its nice to be able to reach (mini) goals every couple months insted of wating 6mo-1 yr between big ones, lol..

It did help with determining where the body markers were: APL, BSL and beyond, but as far as numbers went, I actually went ahead and measured because my torso is shorter.

SL was 13-14" on me and APL was 16-17" on me, like I originally thought. 20" would be definite BSL on me and 24" is WL.

Much like this chart here:
http://www.textureplayground.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/hair-growth-chart.jpg

This chart was most accurate for me. My hair is right under where the black line is drawn (I haven't a clue who drew that line...) My hair fell exactly where this diagram fell for me.
love this picture, where did you find it, Im trying to read what it says...are you doing your measurements (like the picture) from the crown of your head or from your front hairline?

LittleOrca
August 6th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Here is mine. The waist might look a little low to some people, but being a big girl, that part of my body is often cloaked with a roll. :o

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/zHair%20Journal%20Private/HairMeasurements-2.jpg

My current length is about 38.5 inches, or 40 inches when I pull my waves straight.

paintedmuse
August 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I can't find my measuring tape right now, but I know some of the lengths by heart (... no I'm not obsessed at all :D)

I'm 5' 7"

BSL: 25"
waist: 29"
hip: 33.5"

I've got a rather short torso...

Reptilia
August 6th, 2009, 12:49 PM

SHLDR: 15"
BSL: 26"
WAIST: 30"
HIP: 34"
TB: 36"
Classic: 45"

dernhelm
August 6th, 2009, 01:00 PM
This was really hard to do solo :p, but I think I did okay.
I'm 5'5"

Shoulder: 17"
apl: 21" (i'm here when hair is wet)
bsl: 26"
waist:31"
tailbone: 36"

By doing this I realized that I am only 18 and a half inches dry and curly....damn shrinkage....

Reptilia
August 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM
on me, BSL is 26" (that's where I am now), and my goal of tailbone is ~36". I don't know the rest though.

haha I just noticed we have nearly the same hair type, AND the same measurements :p

florenonite
August 6th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I've got this in pictures for up to hip, my final goal. My height is 5'5.5". I made this over a year ago when I was procrastinating on studying for exams, so my hair's quite a bit shorter here than it is now. The estimated dates are totally off, too, due to a three-inch trim last September. The lines aren't all in the right place, either, but meh, it's a decent visual.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=160&pictureid=11952

If you can't read it (I didn't realise how small the font was until after I posted it :o), the measurements are:
SL - 19"
APL - 21"
uBSL (aka bottom of shoulder blades) - 24"
mBSL (aka where the tops of most of my bra bands sit) - 25"
lBSL (aka the bottom of most bra bands) - 26"
waist - 29"
hip - 33"

I've never measured lower than hip because I don't really want to grow further. I've flirted with the idea of classic, but I want hair that I can still wear down, and at classic I'd be terrified of sitting on it or getting it caught somewhere. Based on my proportions, I feel like tailbone would look funny on me. I'll get some measurements for longer lengths sometime when my hair's not in a protuberant bun on the back of my head ;)

pradabacon
August 6th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I love the word 'protuberant'. http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/lol.gif

Vermelha
August 6th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Oh!!! I get it now!!!

I see. We're measuring from the front of our heads, over the head and down our back. If so, That would make me about 20". However, my hair doesn't grow from the very front of my hairline back, since I have layered hair. I measure from the center part, down instead.

Just figured out the mystery ^_^.

pradabacon
August 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM
^^^ That's right. We do it like that because it's very difficult to hit the same spot every time you measure if you're doing it from the crown. Fractions of an inch make a difference when you are gauging how much your hair grows in a month, for example.

My hair is layered as well. It is closer to waist at the sides and hip in the center. I just measure from the hairline to the longest part of the length overall.

Vermelha
August 6th, 2009, 04:12 PM
^^^ That's right. We do it like that because it's very difficult to hit the same spot every time you measure if you're doing it from the crown. Fractions of an inch make a difference when you are gauging how much your hair grows in a month, for example.

My hair is layered as well. It is closer to waist at the sides and hip in the center. I just measure from the hairline to the longest part of the length overall.

Ok cool. So that means I'm actually 20-21"? Neat! Thanks for the tidbit. Now I understand! :cheese:

ladylibra
August 6th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Just curious what hair length measures for body part milestones for everyone else. measuring according to LHC measurements. weather you have met each milestone or have yet to.

WAIST: 31"
HIP: 36"

ETA: it has come to my attention that I forgot to add the following, sorry! (I will add mine after I measure)

TB:
Classic:
Knee:

Aw man! I did this once, but I didn't keep all the measurements. I remember 17.5" is collarbone, and currently I'm BSL which is about 24.5". I wish I still had my tape measure! :( I could probably go "guesstimate" the rest of my measurements...

I am 5' 9", and I have a very long neck, but then I have kind of a short torso. If I ever try to grow my hair past tailbone, it'll take me forever. Literally, I have a 36" inseam. I'm all legs. :laugh:

ladylibra
August 6th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I can't find my measuring tape right now, but I know some of the lengths by heart (... no I'm not obsessed at all :D)

I'm 5' 7"

BSL: 25"
waist: 29"
hip: 33.5"

I've got a rather short torso...

This sounds about like what mine were back when I measured. I'll just piggy-back off you. ;)

Oh!!! I get it now!!!

I see. We're measuring from the front of our heads, over the head and down our back. If so, That would make me about 20". However, my hair doesn't grow from the very front of my hairline back, since I have layered hair. I measure from the center part, down instead.

Just figured out the mystery ^_^.

Yeah, it is akward right? I'm used to measuring from my crown actually. It's a 6" difference, so I just go from there now... makes me feel like I'm getting farther. ;)

Monkey962
August 6th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I'm around 5'11". 80 inches for floor length... good thing I don't want it any longer than tailbone, and at the moment my goal is somewhere between hip and BCL for winter (for the extra warmth :)).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Monkeynut343/Lengths2.jpg

Please excuse the frizzies, I just went for a bike ride. :D

Wanderer09
August 7th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I'm 5'2''.

SL: 18-20 inches
APL: 20-23 inches? It was hard to get a good measurement of this.
BSL: 24-26 inches?
Waist: 30-33 inches, around my current length.
Hip: 35 inches
Tailbone: 36 inches
Classic: 40-41 inches
Knee: 55 inches

I probably measured about half of those wrong...

teela1978
August 7th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Lets see... I'm about 5'8"

shoulder - 18 inches
apl - 21
bsl - 25
waist - 32
hip - 37
tb-40

Assuming I measured right :) I can't see myself going any further than tailbone, if I make it that far. I'm aiming for waist at the moment, maybe by Christmas or so.

Feli
August 7th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I'm almost 6ft with a long body which means that it has taken ages to get to waist length.

Waist length: 35 inches
Tailbone: 40 inches

Being tall definitely has some disadvantages!

kmoc123
August 7th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I measured today and I am at 35.5" which is tail bone - "crack" level...I think I am having a growth spurt...

prettigurl
August 7th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I'm 5' and these are my measurements:
shoulder: 16
apl: 19
bsl: 22.5
mbl: 25
waist: 27.5
hip: 30

mellie89
August 8th, 2009, 09:02 AM
5'7" with checking in:

Shoulder- 17"
APL- 21" ish
BSL- 25" ish
Waist- 29"
Hip- 34"

I think I have weird proportions.

paper
August 8th, 2009, 01:55 PM
My height: 5'6"
SL: 16-17"
APL:21- 22"
BSL: 26-27"
Waist: 30-31"

shadowclaw
August 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM

I don't know where this chart came from, but did anyone notice the text around the black line? It says that "if you're growing your hair, the average length it will reach is 18 to 24 inches." I found the same picture on Google, and under the black line and then below it, it says, "If you've never reached past your shoulders, it probably means that your hair has a slower growth rate and a faster replacement cycle than girls with super-long hair."

Whoever made this little chart must have been seriously confused. I think almost everyone here either has hair quite a ways past 24 inches or has the potential to surpass that mark by a lot. I also think a lot of us would laugh hysterically if someone told us that 24 inch hair was "super long."

Moving on to my measurements:

my height: 5'8"

SHLDR: 19"
APL: 22"
BSL: 27"
WAIST: 34"
HIP: 37"
TB: 40"
Classic: 45"

These are pretty approximate, as it's hard to measure by myself! Only about 4 more inches to waist, though!

aksown
August 9th, 2009, 04:05 AM
I can't find my flexible tape measure but I do know at least one measurement and it's classic because that's where I want to stop until the thickness catches up. I'm 5' 2" and classic is 46". Apparently I have a very long torso. My inseam is 24". Does that make me strangely proportioned? :D I guess this makes waist an even bigger achievement!

pradabacon
August 9th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Aha, aksown!!! You are a mutant like me!!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-alien003.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

With your top half and my bottom half, we can be a supermodel! http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/nuts.gif

aksown
August 9th, 2009, 11:57 PM
With your top half and my bottom half, we can be a supermodel! http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/nuts.gif:rollin: America's Next Top Model here we come!

wendyg
August 10th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I'm 5'6" or a fraction under, and I get:

APL 22
waist: 31
classic: 41.

wg