PDA

View Full Version : I am the last of the long hairs at my office!

Curlsgirl
April 14th, 2008, 07:05 AM
It's sort of sad really. Not that mine is that long but I was one of three longer hairs here until about a month ago when I posted that a girl who had GORGEOUS natural strawberry blond past waist length hair cut hers off to her shoulders. Well today I walked in and the other one chopped her midback length hair off over the weekend. It does look good but someone said "Well you're the only one with long hair now!" I said maybe sort of defensively "Yes and I have NO intentions of getting it cut either!!" I guess I was sort of afraid of catching the disease :eek: LOL! NO ones else but a LHC friend would understand all of this!!!

It is springtime though and when a lot of people start to cut like it's the "thing to do" or something :shrug:

lora410
April 14th, 2008, 07:39 AM
How horrlbe they cut their hair and hey be proud you are a longhair. There are 2 of us long hairs here all about BSL and one who is growing. She CO's with great sucess.I think I'd feel more special if I were the only long hair here

Gothic Lolita
April 14th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I always think it's kind of sad when people chop their off just becuase it's spring and time "do to something". However, if they really felt it was time for so change, it's good they did it.

Hopefully, you don't feel this soon, I just love they way your hair curls! And come to think of it: Now everybody can adore your long hair and all the updos they can't do. You are something special around there and that no tin a negative way!

amaiaisabella
April 14th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Stay strong! :)

Curlsgirl
April 14th, 2008, 08:28 AM
How horrlbe they cut their hair and hey be proud you are a longhair. There are 2 of us long hairs here all about BSL and one who is growing. She CO's with great sucess.I think I'd feel more special if I were the only long hair hereYeah that's true!

I always think it's kind of sad when people chop their off just becuase it's spring and time "do to something". However, if they really felt it was time for so change, it's good they did it.

Hopefully, you don't feel this soon, I just love they way your hair curls! And come to think of it: Now everybody can adore your long hair and all the updos they can't do. You are something special around there and that no tin a negative way!Awwwwww thanks so much!

Stay strong! :)Okay I will I will! This almost makes me even MORE determined! Not that I was really ready to cave anyway though!

Carolyn
April 14th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Good for you for saying what you did. That might prevent an idiot from asking you when are you going to be next and cut yours :mad: I'm sure they will see your lovely curls every day and soon be regretting their decision. I've never understood the seasonal haircut mentality. If you chop off a lot, it takes years or many many seasons to grow back. So flaunt those curls and enjoy your hair :)

spidermom
April 14th, 2008, 09:01 AM
We always knew you were the special one.

Curlsgirl
April 14th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Good for you for saying what you did. That might prevent an idiot from asking you when are you going to be next and cut yours :mad: I'm sure they will see your lovely curls every day and soon be regretting their decision. I've never understood the seasonal haircut mentality. If you chop off a lot, it takes years or many many seasons to grow back. So flaunt those curls and enjoy your hair :)

We always knew you were the special one.

Awwwwwww I REALLY feel special now!!!!! :grouphug:

ladystar
April 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Funny, the same thing happen here at work. the only other girl with long hair chopped it off over the weekend. Her hair was almost tailbone, and black and beautiful. She cut it to above her bra strap. When I saw it I was like OMG!!! It was my inspiration. Well At least when mine gets longer I can feel special too. =)

Even more of an excuse to log on while at work for inspiration. =)

girlcat36
April 14th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Curlsgirl--if you ever get the urge to 'do something', remember that it is a rare curly girl who can pull off short hair successfully. I mean--it's just gonna look the same but shorter. That's the thought that keeps me away from the scissors!

Curlsgirl
April 14th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Funny, the same thing happen here at work. the only other girl with long hair chopped it off over the weekend. Her hair was almost tailbone, and black and beautiful. She cut it to above her bra strap. When I saw it I was like OMG!!! It was my inspiration. Well At least when mine gets longer I can feel special too. =)

Even more of an excuse to log on while at work for inspiration. =)
:cheese: Good point!!!

Curlsgirl--if you ever get the urge to 'do something', remember that it is a rare curly girl who can pull off short hair successfully. I mean--it's just gonna look the same but shorter. That's the thought that keeps me away from the scissors!
Yes I think of the same thing. BUT mine does not look the same shorter. It looks terrible because of the thickness. I get the whole Rosanna Danna East-west thing going on BAD when it is shorter! Bla! That is what I picture when I get the rare thought about cutting! Works every time!

Lamb
April 15th, 2008, 11:58 AM

Actually, it depends very much on the style. If you get layers, you can save yourself from the "triangle" effect, and layers in short curly hair can look good. I used to get layers in my short hair for years and just had a mass of curls on my head, no triangle, and it definitely didn't look "the same, just shorter". The downside to a layered curly cut is that your hair looks like there is no such thing as gravity!

PS: I have a ginormous curly triangle now because I had to cut off some inches from the bottom, so it is very short now - just covers my ears - but all one length!!! :cheese:And healthy. And I can start over - yeah, spring has arrived to Toronto too... :o

Presto
April 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I am kind of missing my short hair. It was awesomest at this length here. Just put a headband on to keep it out of my eyes, which promptly dissappears into the mass of curls...
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/rholt3224/083a.jpg
Grown out with no trims from a pretty even 3 inches or so.
Not tempted to cut, no worries. I'm going to see where long hair takes me for now. I can't always have instantly long hair, but I can always make instantly short hair!

Curlsgirl
April 15th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Actually, it depends very much on the style. If you get layers, you can save yourself from the "triangle" effect, and layers in short curly hair can look good. I used to get layers in my short hair for years and just had a mass of curls on my head, no triangle, and it definitely didn't look "the same, just shorter". The downside to a layered curly cut is that your hair looks like there is no such thing as gravity!

PS: I have a ginormous curly triangle now because I had to cut off some inches from the bottom, so it is very short now - just covers my ears - but all one length!!! :cheese:And healthy. And I can start over - yeah, spring has arrived to Toronto too... :oWhen I had shorter cuts I just mostly got waves and frizz but maybe because I didn't know how to take care of it!

I am kind of missing my short hair. It was awesomest at this length here. Just put a headband on to keep it out of my eyes, which promptly dissappears into the mass of curls...
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/rholt3224/083a.jpg
Grown out with no trims from a pretty even 3 inches or so.
Not tempted to cut, no worries. I'm going to see where long hair takes me for now. I can't always have instantly long hair, but I can always make instantly short hair!Pretty!!!

AJoifulNoise
April 15th, 2008, 01:07 PM
It is springtime though and when a lot of people start to cut like it's the "thing to do" or something :shrug:

I used to cut my hair in the fall/winter. But, then I've always been a weirdo. I find with spring creeping in I am more and more tempted to let my hair free of the buns it's been living in all winter. There's just something about having all the hair down, drifting gently in the breeze while the sun shines down warmly on it.

I digress. I'm glad you're staying strong with all the chopping going on. I'd be so sad to see your hair go!

jtk
April 15th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I hate to see when someone else cuts their long hair. I know it's their choice, but it seems that a bit of beauty disappears...

SweetPea88
April 15th, 2008, 02:25 PM
The same little disease seems to be spreading all over my college campus as well! I can now count at least 5 girls that I've seen chop off their hair recently.

Instead of cutting off my hair "for the summertime", I'm looking forward to my growth spurt!!

AJoifulNoise
April 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Instead of cutting off my hair "for the summertime", I'm looking forward to my growth spurt!!

Indeed! I wish it for us all. :D

Cichelle
April 15th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I'd probably be afraid to drink the water around those parts. j/k. But I know exactly what you mean.

I remember once I went into my daughter's school and one of her teachers had cut off her waist length hair to above shoulder length. I feel bad because I just stood looking in horror and blurted out, "What happened to your hair!" Luckily, she just laughed and said she donated it and that "it would grow back". It just wasn't a big deal to her.

Stay strong!

redhead_rachel
April 15th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I think I have second longest in my workplace (even though I do wear it up 99% of the time).
The longest hair in the work is the head of one of the buissness departments. It's about hip length and amazing, though I could never have the courage to say that I think her hair is incredible as I think it would be over familier of me (even though she's really nice) as she's a head of department and I'm a part time receptionist...

DecafJane
April 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I'm glad you are determined to not cut your hair - it is so beautiful!!!

I have thick, curly hair and the only way I could keep it short was to keep it REALLY (boy) short. That has to be the MOST un-fun haircut on the planet. "Hmm, what am I going to do with my hair today? Gell it, and sweep it forwards!"

The other day I was feeling terrible, in the kind of mood where I would normally go and get a big haircut. Instead, I found myself really, really wanting my hair to grow long, because I love long hair and my hair makes me happy. I can understand when people go for the big chop because they feel they need to, but it isn't me any more. Hooray!

Delila
April 15th, 2008, 04:37 PM
To be honest, I'd kinda hope I might score some hairtoys from the former longhairs, but maybe that's just me. :D:D:D

jojo
April 15th, 2008, 04:58 PM
You only have to look around this forum and see how many people grew and then cut short and later regretted it. Myself included. Its good to be different and stand out from the crowd.

Long hair takes dedication, its a bit like loosing weight the loosing it is the easy part, its the maintaining it which take effort! and besides if its not broken, dont fix it. Your hair is certainly not broken, so keep on growing, your hair is stunning.

DaveDecker
April 15th, 2008, 05:52 PM
The same little disease seems to be spreading all over my college campus as well! I can now count at least 5 girls that I've seen chop off their hair recently.

The same little disease seems to be spreading around here, too.

One day a few weeks ago, I noticed a woman at the office had lost her lower-back length hair, now almost pixie-short. As soon as she saw me, she held her hands on her head and said, "don't look at my hair!" Clearly, she regretted her decision. Having talked with her a little bit before about hair, and how her stylist has always "encouraged" her to wear her hair short, I'm guessing the stylist tried again (and "succeeded") in getting her to agree to a short haircut.

One day last week, I had reason to sit briefly in the waiting area of a salon, and struck up a conversation with another person waiting (who had BSL hair, incidentally). I asked her what she thought of the inverted bob look (ick!, IMO) that seems to be gaining traction lately. After a diplomatically neutral answer (a politician in-the-making!), she added, "a friend of mine recently went to a salon to have a little trim from the ends of her waist-length hair, but the stylist talked her into getting one of those inverted bob haircuts."

In both of these cases, pushy, arrogant stylists (trying to impose their own will over the customer's expressed wishes), combined with lack of sufficient confidence to "just say 'no'" to the stylists, seem to have led to short haircuts. It makes me wonder how prevalent this phenomenon may be.

jstar
April 15th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Wow, you guys are being quite severe! There is nothing at all wrong with cutting hair in the spring- it doesn't have to be a fad, it's simply an effect of spring!

The shange in seasons tends to make everyone want to start fresh- just because you wouldn't want your hair cut, doesn't mean it's a tragedy for anyone else. People who regret it are one thing- if they've been persuaded...but there are so many threads here complaining about being judged for long hair. Why bother judging short hair? It's not yours.

I take great delight in my long hair. I take equally great delight in cutting it off dramatically. People should not insist I keep it long any more than they should insist I cut it off!

DecafJane
April 15th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I should add in defense of the stylists who have cut my hair short, that I have never been talked into it - they were always very sure to make certain that I wanted it short, and I usually brought along pictures of what I wanted. When I started going shorter from long hair, my stylist made sure I did it in stages, which I thoroughly agree with.

DaveDecker
April 15th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Wow, you guys are being quite severe! There is nothing at all wrong with cutting hair in the spring- it doesn't have to be a fad, it's simply an effect of spring!

The shange in seasons tends to make everyone want to start fresh- just because you wouldn't want your hair cut, doesn't mean it's a tragedy for anyone else. People who regret it are one thing- if they've been persuaded...but there are so many threads here complaining about being judged for long hair. Why bother judging short hair? It's not yours.

I take great delight in my long hair. I take equally great delight in cutting it off dramatically. People should not insist I keep it long any more than they should insist I cut it off!

Hi jstar,

I've no idea if your response is in part a result of my post, but I do agree with you in that I have no concern if someone truly and of their own accord wants a short haircut. However, I do not look favorably upon stylists that seek to impose their personal preference onto their clients (for either their own personal aesthetic or monetary reasons) when it conflicts with the specifically stated request for service.

jstar
April 15th, 2008, 06:43 PM
DaveDecker, you actually made me more precise :) I also dislike it when stylists or anyone else forces their opinion on someone who does not wish to follow them. That's why this thread seems severe to me.

The comments about people cutting their hair short -( it's unneccesary, just a fad, makes people sad or upset when other people cut their long hair, it's some mysterious disease that is spreading,) are just as offensive to a shorthair as the opposite is to a longhair.

How many people have come to the boards to rant because an insensitive person told them they needed a haircut, or reacted with a disapproving look to a goal length? How about reacting with dismay when someone *chooses* a haircut? Why is that okay?

I'm not suggesting at all that the OP or anyone else has said or done anything like that to a person's face. I know we're a good bunch on LHC :) But also, most of the stories (unlike yours) do appear to be a free choice kind of deal.

I'm merely pointing out that short hair is not "worse" than long hair. And exactly like long hair, it is a personal choice which should be respected.

Because I enjoy my hair when it is long, and when it is short, I don't like my personal choice being belittled as a fad, a fashion, a temporary abberation, something forced on me or something disappointing. If people wish to have long hair accepted (as we endlessly and rightfully insist), then we must extend the same courtesy to those who choose differently than us.

That was far more lecture like than I intended (sorry :P) but I hope I clarified my position.

Alley Cat
April 15th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Nothing sad about your co workers cutting their long hair short Curlsgirl it's their hair , their life, their choice as it is your life and your choice what you do with your own hair. Enjoy being different. :)

PhillyGirl1978@
April 15th, 2008, 07:09 PM

So am I, I have recently learned how to use hair sticks, so that will be my new summer do if it gets too hot.

Curlsgirl
April 15th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the compliments first of all and secondly I only said that I was sad because I liked their long hair. I even added that one of them looked really good. I just noticed that I was now the longest hair there. One of them actually DID regret it and said so 3 days later. Now she is growing again.

So to be clear I am not dictating what other people SHOULD or SHOULD NOT do and I don't think anyone else means to either. I just prefer longer hair myself and was sad to see it go. Nothing wrong with that and of course I didn't tell THEM that. Well anyway, I probably still didn't make it clear. People have a right to prefer short hair just as others have a right to prefer longer hair.

And on the "disease" part, I was just kidding. Geez.

Lizbot
April 15th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Oh, it is a shame that your one coworker regretted it.

I am certainly glad you're keeping yours!

jstar
April 15th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Curlsgirl you were very dipomatic in your post- I was more responding to the tone of the whole thread. I had noticed that you pointed out that one of them looked good.

I'm sorry to hijack your thread :flowers: this same topic comes up every once in a while and unfortunately yours was the one where I chose to mention my own pet peeve. It's not a reflection on you! Honest!

It's just that so often people post enthusiastic responses without thinking, and I feel sorry for the poor shorthairs here, or the longhairs on the board who are thinking of cutting, but afraid of disapproval.

Curlsgirl
April 15th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Curlsgirl you were very dipomatic in your post- I was more responding to the tone of the whole thread. I had noticed that you pointed out that one of them looked good.

I'm sorry to hijack your thread :flowers: this same topic comes up every once in a while and unfortunately yours was the one where I chose to mention my own pet peeve. It's not a reflection on you! Honest!

It's just that so often people post enthusiastic responses without thinking, and I feel sorry for the poor shorthairs here, or the longhairs on the board who are thinking of cutting, but afraid of disapproval.

Okay I guess I got a little defensive since it was "my thread" (just kidding so you know on that). I can understand things hitting a nerve too. Thanks for explaining. No hard feelings! I wouldn't want it to come across that I disapproved of the ones who cut or were thinking of it either!!! :)

Curlsgirl
April 15th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Oh, it is a shame that your one coworker regretted it.

I am certainly glad you're keeping yours!

Thanks! Yes I was afraid she would because every time she has done it in the past she has been sorry immediately. She usually does it on a "whim" without thinking about it. It really was beautiful too which is what made me sadder. Probably some of it was because I had "coveted" her hair for so long! Ha!

CalamityCupcake
April 28th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I do that a lot. Grow grow grow my hair AND THEN CHHHOP IT OFF WWAAAA!

I always regret it.