PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins make a difference!

shortgoinglong
August 5th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Hi!
I don't know how other people feel about taking a multi vitamin but I never did as I eat a lot of veggies and fruit. I am currently growing out my hair from a pixie. I started taking a good daily multi vitamin about 6 weeks ago and my hair is growing like crazy. I really do notice a difference. I am taking One a Day for Women.

Backliteyes
August 5th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Holy crap I need to start taking mine religiously again.

spidermom
August 5th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Wow; I wonder if it's really the vitamins. Sometimes my hair will have a growth spurt for no apparent reason. I've been taking vitamins for about 4-6 weeks now, and I can't say that I notice a difference, but maybe.

PicturePerfect
August 5th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I've been taking multivitamins ever since I was really little. So, I guess I really don't notice a difference cause I've always taken them. But, who knows, it probably does help!

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Hi!
I don't know how other people feel about taking a multi vitamin but I never did as I eat a lot of veggies and fruit. I am currently growing out my hair from a pixie. I started taking a good daily multi vitamin about 6 weeks ago and my hair is growing like crazy. I really do notice a difference. I am taking One a Day for Women.

Hey there, I'm no hair expert, but I do have about 10 yearsof experience with supplements and working out. The best multi-vitamin to take IMO is the GNC's Women's version of the Mega Men's performance workout vitamins. I think it's called Ultra Mega Women. It has Biotin and E, which are essential for hair, I believe.
When I worked out and supplemented with protien and vitimans, I practically had to get a hair cut about every 3 weeks (when I kept it short). Back when I used to work out, and I had long hair the first time, it would grow at least 3 quarters of an inch per month. I'm not joking. But diet does and exercise does play a key role with your hair or anything related to the body for that matter, as far as optimum growth is concerned. I've tried Centrum vitamins, One a Day, Now, etc. . . but the best results were those GNC Mega Men's. . . hope this helps!! :thumbsup:

Syaoransbear
August 5th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I just started taking One a Day women's vitamins (along with everything else from the Bargello vitamin regimen). The hardest part is keeping the multivitamin DOWN because it makes me so nauseous.

ademtce
August 5th, 2009, 11:23 PM
i think its a common sense thing with hair and vitamins. you have to the essentials to have a healthy body (and hair)

its just like manufacturing products if you have the best supply to build with you'll be able to make the best.

Gumball
August 5th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I just started taking One a Day women's vitamins (along with everything else from the Bargello vitamin regimen). The hardest part is keeping the multivitamin DOWN because it makes me so nauseous.

Do you take them with stuff already in your stomach? I've noticed when I take vitamins on an empty or mostly empty stomach I feel a little funky, too. I make sure to have a meal before I take them.

Shiva
August 5th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I surely hope they do make a difference because I am taking 10 vitamins/supplements a day AND eating healthier.

:thud:

Gumball
August 5th, 2009, 11:27 PM
For me I know when I keep up with my vitamins/supplements my shed rate drops. It's also a bonus considering I'm sure I don't always have the most rounded diet. I can't really be certain about growth improvement since my hair is relatively long-ish already and I never measure outside of bodily "milestones". Also growth, even little bits, are much more noticeable for very short hair as opposed to longer lengths. Every little bit of potential boosters help though. It never hurts to try! It's good to know your vitamins seem to be working for you!

Heidi_234
August 5th, 2009, 11:36 PM
That's not good. Maybe you should stop it, or at least call customer support to ask if it's normal?

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 11:40 PM

The same thing happened to me when I started taking a new brand of vitamin called AST Multi Pro 32X. I done extensive research about that and other brands as well.

It contained something that has been recently added called chromium. It's known to cause nausea. I did in fact vomit after 15 minutes from taking it. you may want to read up on this http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/chrompic.html
and this one http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupplementguide/a/chromiumsideeff.htm

However, I'm not 100% sure it is the chromium, but that was the ONLY ingredient that differed from the others I've took!

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 11:41 PM
For me I know when I keep up with my vitamins/supplements my shed rate drops. It's also a bonus considering I'm sure I don't always have the most rounded diet. I can't really be certain about growth improvement since my hair is relatively long-ish already and I never measure outside of bodily "milestones". Also growth, even little bits, are much more noticeable for very short hair as opposed to longer lengths. Every little bit of potential boosters help though. It never hurts to try! It's good to know your vitamins seem to be working for you!

^ Dude if I may say, you've got some killer hair going on! that's awesome! :thumbsup:

Gumball
August 5th, 2009, 11:44 PM
^ Dude if I may say, you've got some killer hair going on! that's awesome! :thumbsup:

Quick tangent to say much appreciated!

I do agree in some cases it can be an ingredient that doesn't agree with you. I'd lean toward that especially if you eat on a full belly and it still kicks you into nausea.

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Quick tangent to say much appreciated!

I do agree in some cases it can be an ingredient that doesn't agree with you. I'd lean toward that especially if you eat on a full belly and it still kicks you into nausea.

^ I agree 100%

What made me soo made about it wasn't the fact that I vomited, it was that I spent $5 at the DQ prior to that on a large cookie dough blizzard. . . and there when $5 down the drain (literally) :rant:!

That was just 1 of about 5 times that happened consistently in a row :puke:. Though different people react to different things so. I always look at the labels closely!

Syaoransbear
August 6th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I've heard it's the iron content, but I'm not sure. One A Day seems to be notorious for causing nausea, even for a multi-vitamin. I used to take One A Day Weight Smart multivitamin and I really DID vomit(perhaps that's why it's called Weight Smart? :cheese:).

I did take the Women's One A Day with a full stomach, but I still felt nauseous. It wasn't too bad today though, so perhaps I'm getting used to it, or my body prefers taking it after eating a bunch of cheddar cheese. I never had this problem with Centrum though, which I could take on a completely empty stomach and not have the slightest bit of trouble.

wahmof9
August 6th, 2009, 12:49 AM
You need a food source vitamin anything artificial is foreign to the body...and sadly you must read labels even in "health" food stores.

Vitamins should not ever make you nauseous!

Charlize
August 6th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Hey there, I'm no hair expert, but I do have about 10 yearsof experience with supplements and working out. The best multi-vitamin to take IMO is the GNC's Women's version of the Mega Men's performance workout vitamins. I think it's called Ultra Mega Women. It has Biotin and E, which are essential for hair, I believe.
When I worked out and supplemented with protien and vitimans, I practically had to get a hair cut about every 3 weeks (when I kept it short). Back when I used to work out, and I had long hair the first time, it would grow at least 3 quarters of an inch per month. I'm not joking. But diet does and exercise does play a key role with your hair or anything related to the body for that matter, as far as optimum growth is concerned. I've tried Centrum vitamins, One a Day, Now, etc. . . but the best results were those GNC Mega Men's. . . hope this helps!! :thumbsup:

Yellowchariot,

Can I ask which one of the GNC Mega Men's for women that you have used? Is it GNC Women's Hair, Skin & Nails Formula or GNC Women's Ultra Mega Multivitamin or GNC Women's Ultra Mega Active Vitapak?

redneckprincess
August 6th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I take a prenatel, biotin and gelatin...but I think the biotin helps the most

Elettaria
August 6th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Nausea is quite common from multivitamins. Change brand until you find something you can tolerate. B vitamins can make a tablet taste vile, so it may be better to take them separately as apparently the problem is worse when they're combined with other vitamins. Overdosing on certain nutrients, such as zinc, can also cause nausea.

going gray
August 6th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I've been taking a vitamin called Healthy Hair, Nail & Skin for about 5 years. Very happy with the results, my hair is in terrific shape, unfortunately "short" My hairdresser, would have to give me a trim every 2 weeks if I was keeping this short style, which already has grown out. Not quite sure exactly, but I get more than 6" a year of growth. Which is wonderful, since I continue to make such blunders with my hair!

yellowchariot
August 6th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Yellowchariot,

Can I ask which one of the GNC Mega Men's for women that you have used? Is it GNC Women's Hair, Skin & Nails Formula or GNC Women's Ultra Mega Multivitamin or GNC Women's Ultra Mega Active Vitapak?

Hey Charlize, I haven't tried any of the "women's" products from GNC but I've tried just about everything else of the "men's" product line.

It's this one http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3247551&cp=2108478

However I've i'm not mistaken, the "female" version is this http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3425048&cp=3418461.2510318

I've never taken any specific vitamin for hair, nails. . . etc. My diet and protein has been well balanced. So I've never needed to do so. I just about have to take a chainsaw to cut my nails off every 3 weeks! lol

yellowchariot
August 6th, 2009, 09:42 AM
You need a food source vitamin anything artificial is foreign to the body...and sadly you must read labels even in "health" food stores.

Vitamins should not ever make you nauseous!

^ +1 on that statement!

bakertwins2004
August 6th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Interesting the One A Day Weight Smart made me sick too. I tried it years ago and I never could get those to work for me. I take Sundown's Hair Skin and Nails then extra Biotin and MSM

yellowchariot
August 6th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Interesting the One A Day Weight Smart made me sick too. I tried it years ago and I never could get those to work for me. I take Sundown's Hair Skin and Nails then extra Biotin and MSM

Is it just me, but I've noticed that in the past 3 years, a lot of companies are putting more ingredients and unpronounceable words on those bottle labels!!! eh? :rant:

sweetnmellow
August 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Is it just me, but I've noticed that in the past 3 years, a lot of companies are putting more ingredients and unpronounceable words on those bottle labels!!! eh? :rant:

I totally agree, I noticed that too! its like they add the stuff slowly one by one so that nobody realizes it until you end up with 5- 6 ingredients that are totally useless for your health and probably harmful... :shake:

misspriss
August 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM
B vitamins can make a tablet taste vile, so it may be better to take them separately as apparently the problem is worse when they're combined with other vitamins.

No wonder that B vitamin under the tongue stuff tastes so bad.

I recently started taking a B sublingual liquid, Folic Acid, and Prescription mega-doses of Vitamin D (twice a week only) under the direction of my doctor.

I have never really taken a multi or anything. Perhaps I should start some Biotin.

RancheroTheBee
August 6th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I take a lot of stuff, although the only thing I've noticed is so many new baby hairs that I can barely keep track anymore. I think that I've just reached my maximum hair growth rate, because I've been fretting about it for almost a year now, and it doesn't seem to go past less than half an inch a month. Vitamins just made my hair thicker, which I didn't really need.

Christina
August 6th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Oh goodness yes, I think vitamins help, too! I've been out for a couple of months and I've noticed more shedding and less growth. So far the GMC women's multi is my favorite.

paintedmuse
August 6th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Three weeks ago I started taking multivitamin and a hair, skin and nails mix... I think my hair's been growing faster, but maybe thats just wishful thinking? We'll see...

Naamah
August 6th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I should probably start taking vitamins. I've been kind of putting that off.

Reptilia
August 6th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I take Biotin and GNC's Forumula Hair Skin and Nails. I've only been on them for 2 weeks, but I can already notice the difference in skin and nails! My skin has cleared up and it's not dry as usual, and my nails are growing like weeds. I'm sure I'll see the results in my hair soon enough!

Syaoransbear
August 6th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Just vomited 5 minutes ago from excessive nausea due to the One a Day multivitamin. It's back to centrum for me!

marikamt
August 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Chromium is a natural mineral that the body uses to help w/ glucose levels ("blood sugar"), there is also some evidence that it helps w/ metabolism. It is found in some foods in small amounts, including broccoli (about 13 mcg).
More than likely, what is causing the nausea (especially in a womens vitamin) is the iron. Iron can be very irritating to an empty stomach. Most vitamins (with the exception of some B complex) do better on a full stomach- this means after a meal... not a glass of milk, etc. You need food in your belly :)
There are some vitamins that absorb better on an empty stomach- B complex specifically.

Most people do not get the necessary nutrition they need simply from their diets- if you really are curious, keep a food journal for a week or two. Even "healthy eaters" will be shocked!

Adding vitamins, etc to your diet is (IMHO) a good thing- it certainly does not hurt and more than likely will help, not just with hair but overall health.

marikamt
August 6th, 2009, 06:00 PM
oops- maybe I should proof read before I post :D

Nyghtingale
August 6th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I take a multivitamin every night before bed. I never makes me sick that way.

curls2grow
August 6th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I just started taking One a Day women's vitamins (along with everything else from the Bargello vitamin regimen). The hardest part is keeping the multivitamin DOWN because it makes me so nauseous.Maybe try Rainbow Light Just Once for Women (http://www.rainbowlight.com/Categories.aspx?Category=d58a0fd0-05cb-45ba-8157-4152cf0de5e6). I've taken this particular multi for a few years. You can get them online for less than their website shows. I think it may be slightly larger than the Women's One-A-Day, but it does not upset my stomach like WOAD did. As it is, I take the Rainbow Light one and other supplements every morning with light soy milk and don't eat lunch until 5 hours later. No upset stomach and I have a sensitive stomach. (OK, don't tell me it could be from taking vitamins and supplements with only soy milk :D )

Spring
August 6th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I also notice a difference with my hair when I take my one a day for women vitamins. Unfortunately for me I can't take them every day because my joints start to get stiff, so I take the multivitamin maybe 2x a week. I do take my hair vitamins though, I'm just not certain I notice any marked improvement in my hair, though I'm sure if I were to stop taking the hair vitamin I would probably notice.

yellowchariot
August 6th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Just vomited 5 minutes ago from excessive nausea due to the One a Day multivitamin. It's back to centrum for me!

^ One thing I forgot to mention is that I've found that If I take a multivitamin with medication (such as an anti-depressant/anxiety) with a meal, I will vomit within 5-10 minutes.

Chromium is a natural mineral that the body uses to help w/ glucose levels ("blood sugar"), there is also some evidence that it helps w/ metabolism. It is found in some foods in small amounts, including broccoli (about 13 mcg).
More than likely, what is causing the nausea (especially in a womens vitamin) is the iron. Iron can be very irritating to an empty stomach. Most vitamins (with the exception of some B complex) do better on a full stomach- this means after a meal... not a glass of milk, etc. You need food in your belly :)
There are some vitamins that absorb better on an empty stomach- B complex specifically.

Most people do not get the necessary nutrition they need simply from their diets- if you really are curious, keep a food journal for a week or two. Even "healthy eaters" will be shocked!

Adding vitamins, etc to your diet is (IMHO) a good thing- it certainly does not hurt and more than likely will help, not just with hair but overall health.

^ I've also read into that as well! thanks for the input

lhangel9
August 6th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I've also tried some vitamins called Gueye Hair Growth Herbal Formula. I've seen results in as little as 2 weeks. I take them for 3-4 months and then a few months off to give my system a rest. Also when I take them I usually get a growth spurt - it's as if my scalp is trying to tell me that the vitamins were missed. They really, really work and you can order them from www.gueye.com.

Igor
August 6th, 2009, 09:38 PM
The way I see it, you can never grow your hair faster/thicker/denser/etc than you are genetically set to (Except for a few disorders that is) but a daily vitamin can maximise the genetic potential you have
A lot of vitamins have effect on hair growth indirectly by promoting other health aspects like skin/blood/internal organs/etc so it’s healthier in general to take an all-round vitamin pill instead of one targeting hair growth specifically

heatheradair
August 6th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I take the generic brand of Flintstones+Iron and Cerefolin (Rx B-vitamins). The chewable one is tasty, and the prescription B's are cheap and easy to get because my mom's a doctor (otherwise I wouldn't bother getting a prescription vitamin).

I got a facial last month, and the aesthetician (whom I know well) remarked, "Your hair grows so fast!" when she swept my hair back and out of the way. It made me feel good :)

yellowchariot
August 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM
The way I see it, you can never grow your hair faster/thicker/denser/etc than you are genetically set to (Except for a few disorders that is) but a daily vitamin can maximise the genetic potential you have
A lot of vitamins have effect on hair growth indirectly by promoting other health aspects like skin/blood/internal organs/etc so it’s healthier in general to take an all-round vitamin pill instead of one targeting hair growth specifically

^ Well put Igor!

It's almost like exercising, people just want to target only 1 area of the body to firm up/build up. What they don't realize is they need the whole routine, for example, you can't get abs, just by doing sit-ups all day long! You have to eat right and do cardio or weight resistance depending on the goal you want to achieve. You have to take in the whole package as a set goal!

shortgoinglong
August 6th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Maybe it's the biotin. My vitamin has %100 of my daily amount. Whatever works!

Debra83
August 6th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I take a multi vitamin and a ton of other vitamins religiously every day, and I've noticed a huge difference physically and mentally in my well-being. My hair grows fast, and my nails are strong, and my energy level is pretty incredible, and I'm always in a good mood. I hold down 2 1/2 jobs and I'm a single mom, and I still have energy leftover!!!

Cassi
August 6th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Iron is definitely what makes me nauseated if I don't eat enough food. I take OTC Prenatal +DHA (still nursing the baby) plus more vitamins (biotin, omega 3, glucosamine/msm/chondroiten, RX for vitamin D, calcium, CoQ10, Lysine), but none are a problem on an empty stomach except the one with iron. Absorption of the vitamin is usually higher when taken with a meal. I only have one vitamin that I specifically take on an empty stomach, and it is pretty much amino acids. Also, if you notice one multivitamin to be bigger than another it is most likely due to higher calcium content. Calcium is a large molecule and makes the vitamins bigger. I just added the CoQ10 because my patients kept telling me to. More than one has told me that it helped their energy level, weight loss and thinking/memory. It has only been a few days, but I think I agree already! HTH;)

Lilli
August 7th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I have been taking prenatals (GNC brand) for years due to having 3 kids in 4 years, but this week I added GNC's Ultra Nourish-Hair and 1200 mg Biotin. I also have always taken B-50 Complex, Cod Liver Oil, Omega fish oils, and Calcium/Magnesium. I never measured rate of growth before so it might be hard to tell if this makes a difference. Nothing ever makes me nauseous but maybe that it because I take them with my late-night snack.

going gray
August 7th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Yes I too only take my vitamins with food, it makes a huge difference. Never had a problem with feeling "sick to my stomach"

prettigurl
August 7th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I've been taking them for so long that I don't even notice a difference in growth anymore. Even with a multi or prenatal (I'm pregnant), I only get the "average" 1/2 inch per month

lhangel9
August 7th, 2009, 08:34 PM

Who's to say what you're genetically set for? "The proof is in the puddin'" I've seen families where generations of those families mostly all have very short hair, yet some of the people in the family have very long hair and vice versa. I've also seen those who could never seem to grow their hair longer than their earlobe, yet after proper treatment of their hair and proper diet and exercise, their hair became much stronger and very long. Just because one's parents or grandparents have short or long hair doesn't mean that you will. We're all individuals and IMO our overall health will control our growth, not our genes. One more thought - I have a friend who always had very short, hard to manage hair. After taking certain vitamins and supplements her hair is now MUCH longer than mine:confused: I asked her how she did it and she said it was all in the mind, along with positive thinking, daily scalp massages, lots of water, exercise and supplements. Her immediate family does not practice these health standards and guess what? They have very short to just plain old short hair.;)

RavennaNight
August 7th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I just take the womens one a day and a fish oil 1000mg pill. Any more and I am nauseated. I am not very good at eating regimented 3 meals a day at specific times. I usually end up with 2 meals. So it's hard for me to take more vitamins. I have tried in the past with hair vitamins. No faster growth. Just neon pee.

irishcurls
August 7th, 2009, 09:37 PM
i just take Biotin. That has been working huge wonders. I started growing my hair out in march and its now August. My hair is now 4 inches longer that when I started. I have gotten 1 trim and it was about and inch. So it has grown about an inch a month. But I take crazy crazy good care of my hair.

Demetrue
August 7th, 2009, 09:50 PM
A multi-vitamin in the morning always makes me nauseous and I have thrown up mega-B vitamins on a number of occasions. I seem to do better if I take a vitamin after dinner, but sometimes that makes me wakeful at night. Biotin makes my skin break out, which I do not need at my age!

ipickee
August 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM
It's been interesting reading through these posts. I took One A Day Womens for a few months, and if I didn't take it on a completely full stomach, it was up and out within 10 minutes! It's nice to know it's not just me! I've been taking Centrum for at least two months now, and I haven't had any issues yet.

ChrissieM
August 8th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Maybe try Rainbow Light Just Once for Women (http://www.rainbowlight.com/Categories.aspx?Category=d58a0fd0-05cb-45ba-8157-4152cf0de5e6). I've taken this particular multi for a few years. You can get them online for less than their website shows. I think it may be slightly larger than the Women's One-A-Day, but it does not upset my stomach like WOAD did. As it is, I take the Rainbow Light one and other supplements every morning with light soy milk and don't eat lunch until 5 hours later. No upset stomach and I have a sensitive stomach. (OK, don't tell me it could be from taking vitamins and supplements with only soy milk :D )

I agree..I love the Rainbow Light Women's vitamins, and I never have any stomach issues when taking them.

Heidi_234
August 9th, 2009, 02:05 AM
I have a question - I checked the women's vitamins and they say that they are recommended/intended for 25 yo and beyond women or generally for elder people/ill people/active people. Should I still go for it? I don't fall into either category, and I'm still few years from turning 25.

sleepingbeauty
August 9th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I take a multi vitamin and a ton of other vitamins religiously every day, and I've noticed a huge difference physically and mentally in my well-being. My hair grows fast, and my nails are strong, and my energy level is pretty incredible, and I'm always in a good mood. I hold down 2 1/2 jobs and I'm a single mom, and I still have energy leftover!!!

Could you share with us which vitamins and the brands? I would love more energy!! I eat healthy and take a multivitamin but it doesn't affect my energy or mood.

shadowclaw
August 9th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I started taking vitamins shortly after joining LHC. I take a women's multivitamin, biotin, and kelp. Today I started taking gelatin, and I'm thinking of adding cinnamon.

I've been wanting to start taking fish oil, since it's supposed to be so good for you, but the last time I took one, I burped later in the day and it reeked of fish :disgust: I may give it anothe shot.

I never did eat very well (hence why I am overweight), so the multivitamin is essential to my overall well-being. The biotin is purely for hair growth, and the kelp is for its iodine. As for the effects, I did notice an increase in hair growth. I never measured with a tape measure before join LHC, but I did pay attention to how fast my hair grows, and it is definitely growing faster. I'm currently growing at about 3/4 - 1 inch per month. The gelatin will hopefully make it stronger and thicker. Rumor has it that cinnamon is good for hair growth, so that's why I'd like to start taking it and see if it has any effect.

MoonCreature
August 10th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Wow.. I simply couldn't keep track of taking more than 2-3 pills a day. When I broke my ankle I took calcium with D-vitamine, a multivitamin, magnesium and zinc. That was when I had all day of and nothing else to do. :p

Right now I take a multivitamin and some extra zink and calcium when I remember. One of the problems for me is taking the right things at the same time so that they don't cancel eachother out. :rolleyes: I also wouldn't dare to take many multivitamins at the same time, because I'd be afraid of over-dosing (overdosage is as harmfull as taking too little!).

I rather eat diverse and healthy than take a huge amount of pills, many minerals and vitamins need the company of another to be absorbed well :)

AnimaSola3o4
August 10th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I take GNC's Hair Skin and Nails multivitamin 2x daily. At first I hated the smell/taste, but then I read the ingredients and saw that its supposed to be vanilla flavoring, and now when i take it I dont seem to be as bothered by it if I just think 'vanilla....vanilla...'

But my nails have NEVER grown this fast or thick and my hair is growing fast too!!! And come to think of it, my skin has been pretty good too.

metalgypsy85
August 10th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I just started taking a multi yesterday, and I'm hoping it helps with my overall health, including my hair. I haven't been eating nearly as well as I should be these past few months.

Igor
August 12th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Who's to say what you're genetically set for? "The proof is in the puddin'" I've seen families where generations of those families mostly all have very short hair, yet some of the people in the family have very long hair and vice versa. I've also seen those who could never seem to grow their hair longer than their earlobe, yet after proper treatment of their hair and proper diet and exercise, their hair became much stronger and very long. Just because one's parents or grandparents have short or long hair doesn't mean that you will. We're all individuals and IMO our overall health will control our growth, not our genes. One more thought - I have a friend who always had very short, hard to manage hair. After taking certain vitamins and supplements her hair is now MUCH longer than mine:confused: I asked her how she did it and she said it was all in the mind, along with positive thinking, daily scalp massages, lots of water, exercise and supplements. Her immediate family does not practice these health standards and guess what? They have very short to just plain old short hair.;)

As I said: You can never grow your hair faster/thicker/denser/etc than you are genetically set to

And as you pointed out yourself: Handling makes a lot of difference. Your suddenly longhaired friend can now let her hair grow closer to the genetic maximum potential because she’s treating it differently than before

Medievalmaniac
August 12th, 2009, 08:40 AM

i'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this! I never had this problem with my prenatals or anything else, but for some reason the One a Day Women's vitamins do make me feel nauseous...less so if I make sure I have eaten about five to ten minutes before I take it, though.

Medievalmaniac
August 12th, 2009, 08:43 AM
A multi-vitamin in the morning always makes me nauseous and I have thrown up mega-B vitamins on a number of occasions. I seem to do better if I take a vitamin after dinner, but sometimes that makes me wakeful at night. Biotin makes my skin break out, which I do not need at my age!

hmm...I've been taking Biotin for about three weeks now and have noticed a few extra zits here and there over the past week...I wonder if that's why? I chalked it up to stress and hormones. I hope it's NOT the Biotin, I want to keep taking that for my hair!!!:(

Reptilia
August 12th, 2009, 10:35 AM
When I first started taking Biotin I started breaking out like crazy. So I took a bit less for awhile and let my body get used to it, then took a bit more and now it's fine.

Lilli
August 13th, 2009, 08:42 AM
When I first started taking Biotin I started breaking out like crazy. So I took a bit less for awhile and let my body get used to it, then took a bit more and now it's fine.

Hmmmmm, I have had some zits. I just got some stronger zit cream and can deal with it if my hair is growing. It hasn't been long enough to see if it is making a difference.

DarkChocolate
August 13th, 2009, 11:28 AM
When I took my biotin pills I noticed a major difference in growth:)

SeaShell
August 13th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Hey I take the hair skin and nails vitamins and I was wondering if anyone has a favorite brand of them? They are all different, some one a day, some 3 a day and some smell weird (the bright green ones from Walmart) it may be my imagination but I feel like my hair grows a little faster with the bright green ones?!

Shiva
August 13th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I am wondering about the vitamins that say take 2 or 3 a day if you are supposed to take them all at once or divide them up over time?

:confused:

Igor
August 13th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I am wondering about the vitamins that say take 2 or 3 a day if you are supposed to take them all at once or divide them up over time?

:confused:

That’s a good question!
My instinct would be to split them up, even though I’m not sure it will really matter. I need to look up how fast vitamins really get absorbed :wink:
I think for the water soluble vitamins its pretty fast, but the fat soluble ones are slower
My guess would be that it’s best to have a “steady” intake of vitamins over the day, not only for your hair but for your entire body

Lilli
August 15th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Zits have gotten really bad. I may drop the extra biotin and stick with the Ultra Nourish-Hair.

pink.sara
August 15th, 2009, 09:28 AM
On a wierd note I take GNC skin hair and nails and it has boosted my growth from about 6-8mm per month to nearly a 1/2 inch but what has made even more difference is my diet.

I never used to eat breakfast but in GNC one day a bodybuilder friend of my SO recommended I buy egg whites in a bottle and use them at breakfast time... so I did and now have about 4-5 egg whites in an omelette every morning and in the past month of doing this my hair grew a solid inch.

I was so pleased something as simple as more good protein in my diet could make such a visible change and now I find I'm cutting my nails every week too. :)

Heidi_234
August 15th, 2009, 09:36 AM
On a wierd note I take GNC skin hair and nails and it has boosted my growth from about 6-8mm per month to nearly a 1/2 inch but what has made even more difference is my diet.

I never used to eat breakfast but in GNC one day a bodybuilder friend of my SO recommended I buy egg whites in a bottle and use them at breakfast time... so I did and now have about 4-5 egg whites in an omelette every morning and in the past month of doing this my hair grew a solid inch.

I was so pleased something as simple as more good protein in my diet could make such a visible change and now I find I'm cutting my nails every week too. :)
Protein and biotin too I assume. (I've got to start eating breakfasts!)

takhisis
August 16th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Before I started taking a multivitamin, my nails would often get a small nick at the side, and then start tearing across, so I could never grow them very long. Since I started Cenovis Women's Multi, they're much stronger. They still get damaged, but the damage doesn't spread like before. I hope it's having the same effect on my hair.

Medievalmaniac
August 16th, 2009, 06:36 AM
For those taking the hair nails and skin supplements rather than straight Biotin, have you noticed any extra breakouts in terms of acne? I want to specific supplement for hair, but I sooooo don't wnt to deal with extra pimples at my age if I can avoid it. I had enough in high school and through my twenties to last my whole life.

Alternately, I guess I could take Reptilia's advice and cut back on the Biotin until my body is more used to it. I've been taking the supplements for about two or three weeks now.

Who does Biotin make you break out more?

Lilli
August 16th, 2009, 07:37 AM
For those taking the hair nails and skin supplements rather than straight Biotin, have you noticed any extra breakouts in terms of acne? I want to specific supplement for hair, but I sooooo don't wnt to deal with extra pimples at my age if I can avoid it. I had enough in high school and through my twenties to last my whole life.

Alternately, I guess I could take Reptilia's advice and cut back on the Biotin until my body is more used to it. I've been taking the supplements for about two or three weeks now.

Who does Biotin make you break out more?

I don't know. Maybe it makes you produce more oil. That would explain the cystic zits I am getting. Or maybe if it is making your hair grow more, it is making your skin turn over quicker, leading to dead cells clogging the pores. I just know it sucks to be 31 and have 3 monster zits that hurt. I didn't do the extra biotin last night and may even stop the Nourish-Hair. Also I have a migraine.

curls2grow
August 16th, 2009, 08:07 AM

:confused:Usually, since they are not time-released (like some medications), you take them 2-3 times per day to coincide with meals and to possibly reduce stomach upset by taking them with food. I take my supplements all in the morning, which is not ideal that I don't follow label instructions in many cases, but I know I won't remember to take some at work before lunch, and I can't even remember the dinner doses most of the time. So if the label recommends taking 3x per day, I might take 2 in the morning and that will be it. Sometimes I will just take 1 in the morning, because I figure taking *any* of that supplement, if my body really needs it, will benefit me in some way. I am not recommending that other people do this, just saying this is what I do and it works for me.

AspenF150
August 16th, 2009, 09:11 PM
i think its a common sense thing with hair and vitamins. you have to the essentials to have a healthy body (and hair)

its just like manufacturing products if you have the best supply to build with you'll be able to make the best.

Very well spoken! Couldn't agree more on both counts.

I'm taking Omega 3 fish oils. Next mission is to put down the smokes.

OLLIE
August 16th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Yes, I agree with taking a vit. I take Biotin 5000mcg and I have noticed a big diffrence.
I can tell when i don't take them my hair stops growing at a great rate as well as my nails.

I used to take vit. just for hair skin and nails but I had to take 3 of them in one sitting like horse pills now I just use these and only have to take one a day.

OLLIE
August 16th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Oh by the way about the Biotin giving you more zits? Yes I noticed this alot LOL... Its not funny. I never got zits even when I was a teen. But I do get them now, mostly around my chin area. I stopped taking them for about a week and noticed the next day I had no zits LOl.. So yes its a small sacrafise but I rather have my long hair and just make shure to drink lots of water to flush the zits out.

Thinthondiel
August 16th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I've just started taking vitamins... I'm taking something called "vitamin bears"... they're multi-vitamins that taste like (and look like) candy! :p I also take a vitamin B supplement which consists of 7 different types of vitamin B. So I'm hoping I'll see a positive effect on my hair! :)

amnicare
August 16th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I know that there is a Nails, Hair, Skin vitamin at Sephora (my sister in-law works there.)that alot of women buy. If you go there and ask them what is your top hair nails and skins seller that will be the one. Most people who buy it say that it works, and less hair falls out when they use it regularly. I can ask her the brand name if anyone is interested.

amnicare
August 16th, 2009, 10:00 PM
i myself take calcium every day and a mulitvitamin every other day. i don't know how well any of these things really work. If nothing else there is the placebo effect.