PDA

View Full Version : Good salon day!

Kaileida
August 5th, 2009, 07:08 PM
You guys are gonna get tired of hearing from me! :D
I went back to the salon to get all the blue and purple out of my hair, so it's a chocolate-y black color now.
She and I are both trying to grow our hair- she's at about APL going for tailbone, and I'm at shoulder going for classic. She told me under NO CIRCUMSTANCES am I to put henna in my hair because I will never never get it out and so whatever condition my hair is in at the time, it's going to stay that way permanently. :eek:
I also got her to French braid my hair instead of blowdrying it, so it's in twin braids right now while it dries.
Then she showed me SLS-free shampoos and conditioners and I am now stocked up on hair products. Yay!

http://imgur.com/9NJfT.jpg

spidermom
August 5th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Nice color. I'm not sure stylists understand henna. Mine told me that putting henna on your hair is just like putting a coat of shellac on it, and deep protein/moisture treatments won't penetrate. But henna lovers dispute that.

Kaileida
August 5th, 2009, 07:59 PM
That's the same thing mine said, except she used the phrase "suit of armor". Yikes!

GlassEyes
August 5th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Yeaaaaah, sounds good, but the henna thing is full of it. :D

spidermom
August 5th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Yeaaaaah, sounds good, but the henna thing is full of it. :D

I'm not sure that's quite accurate either. Maybe it has to do with how porous your hair is. I've seen a lot of people complain that henna made their hair more brittle and nothing they could do helped. Others - no problem. As with everything else hair, it seems, no one opinion is the be-all and end-all.

Speckla
August 5th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Yes, full of hair strengthening goodness for me. :D

Fiferstone
August 5th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I've been henna-ing for a while (3 years), and never found that it made my hair impervious to moisture treatments. I started using coconut oil this year and so far, the henna hasn't prevented the coconut oil from helping to seal in moisture and prevent damage. Your mileage may vary, but what is true about henna is that it does alter your color permanently. You cannot lift it completely out of your hair and return your hair to a never-colored "virgin" state. You can lighten henna (as Nightshade has done) but if you want to get rid of henna completely, you have to grow the henna'd hair out and trim it off. It's definitely a long term commitment when you henna your hair, and it's not something I'd recommend to someone who feels the need to make major changes in their color frequently (my definition of frequently is changing the color every year or so).

heatherdazy
August 5th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I agree, many stylists don't understand henna, though I used to work at a salon where we offered it as one of our color services.

The main reasons we might advise clients henna wasn't right for them were if they had a very specific idea of the color they wanted, might change their mind about what color they'd like, or if they had previously used or were likely to use conventional color in the future, as henna and conventional color can have poor reactions together.

Nyghtingale
August 5th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I use henna, and my hair has never been healthier. But that's me. I love your hair by the way.

pradabacon
August 5th, 2009, 09:18 PM
LOVE the new color and the braids are adorable! Definitely a great visit! :thumbsup:

cheshire90
August 30th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Im happy for you

fairytalehair
August 30th, 2011, 11:29 PM
As for the stylish and Henna thing, I dont know as I dont use henna. But I do know that most stylists know nothing about hair... Some say the most ridiculous things!! I just shake my head...