PDA

View Full Version : How can I limit damage from curling irons?

Moonstruck
August 5th, 2009, 06:37 PM
So, I'm working at an academic summer camp, and for the last dance, the TAs want to get a little crazy and choreograph a dance to the Spice Girls song "Wannabe." Four of the girls are dead ringers (or at least pretty close) to four of the Spice Girls.... and so now I'm being cast as Scary Spice. Haha!

So, if you look at my picture, and then think of Scary Spice, I'm pretty sure you can guess why I might need tons of hair styling to even remotely pull off the look. I'm probably going to be doing tons of little braids tonight so that my hair does have ANY volume or wave, but I'm pretty sure the other girls are setting up a date with me and the curling irons or something.

I haven't used hair-styling products in several YEARS now, and no 'cones really for over half a year. I'm okay with breaking that every so often.
Anyhow... what would your recommendations be to keep my hair as damage-free as possible, yet at least get a little funky volume to it?

GlassEyes
August 5th, 2009, 06:46 PM
A wig? Scary Spice had some pretty killer-big hair at some point--you might be able to get there if you used rag curlers, a ton of hairspray, or a teeny-weeny curling iron, but that's about it.

I'd just get an afro-wig, personally. XD;

AnneAdeline
August 5th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Can you do rag or pin curls? They are not nearly as damaging (no heat). Since you only need them for the performance, you might be able to just take them out right before.

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 5th, 2009, 06:59 PM
She had some amazing hair... you might spend a night (when you aren't going anywhere in the AM lol) and load up with a cone conditioner, then spend a ton of time doing tiny braids... lots of them when the hair is still damp and with tiny sponge or perm curlers at the ends. once you're done, mist with a spray bottle and then in the AM take them down and brush and spray. See how much volume that gives you. There are tons of root plumpers, I like Amplify and Root Pump Plus! brands. I'd just try to avoid as much back combing as you possibly can.

I have a bit of a natural curl I once tried 5 braids to give me braid waves and ended up looking like her unintentionally so good luck!

Heavenly Locks
August 5th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I'd get a wig. :o

I wouldn't want to do to your hair what you'd need to do to get Scary spice hair. Hers was pretty awesome though!

teela1978
August 5th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I actually think the damp braids idea is pretty good. If done on damp hair, sticking straight out from the scalp, and allowed to COMPLETELY dry... you've got a good chance. Does your hair hold braid waves well? Mine can look like it's come straight out of a crimping iron if braided damp and taken out dry.

Moonstruck
August 5th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Haha, I'm teaching for 7 hours BEFORE the dance (yep, the poor kiddies have to learn for 7 hours every DAY), so I feel like rag curls or pin curls might have to be continually worn all day...? I've wet braided and slept with my hair in a french braid... only to have it mostly straight by the afternoon if I take it out in the morning.
I do want to try those someday, though. They look so gorgeous (and low-effort/cost, especially since I don't own any hair styling stuff at home).
And yeah, no backcombing for me. ::shudder::
I'm probably going to do tiny braids and see how that goes - I'll take pictures if I do.

I think the wig option is probably the most reasonable, haha. Mmm, costume stores!

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 5th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Make sure you pin your wig if you use that option, no matter how tight it fits. Ask me how I know.... :whistle:

If doing the braids you will have to use a lot of product, so do a trial run at home first, use the root lifter, apply mousse all over and then braid and use the curlers at the ends so you don't end up with stick straight ends, then I'd put it up in a bandanna or something just so you don't look like medusa if a friend pops over or something lol, then the next day when they are dry take them out, brush, spray, brush, spray and do that all upside down.

When you wash it out, I'd advise doing it in a bathtub and just submerging all your hair and doing what most of us do with henna, globs of conditioner, and just soak it. There won't be much if any damage from that as long as you aren't pulling a brush through your hair when its fully sprayed. Then clarify and go back to your old routine. Just remember... if you use a wig.. pin it down! lol