PDA

View Full Version : Straighter Ends?

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Hey to All,

Don't laugh (well you can if you want), but after I get out of the shower, blow dry and brush my hair. . . it wants to flip up from my shoulders :o (aka the betty crocker look. lol) I have a straightener that my hairstylist recommend that I get, but I don't know how to operate it! When I get finished my hair still looks the same, but not as severely flipped up in the back. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks and much appreciated!

Dotlover
August 5th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Have you tryed clipping or bunning your hair to dry in a pattern while it's very very damp after combing it through? I used to do this and clip with a faccare. My hair would often come out smooth and mostly straight.

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Have you tryed clipping or bunning your hair to dry in a pattern while it's very very damp after combing it through? I used to do this and clip with a faccare. My hair would often come out smooth and mostly straight.

^ no I haven't thought of that! does it work well? I've never really tried to do an actual bun before. I've just pull my hair half through a pony tail but not all of the way out (I dunno what you would call that). As far as clipping, I'm kinda hair accessory impaired :dizzy:, and I don't own any because of that. haha.

Sometimes I just pull it back in a ponytail, but when it dries, then I have a huge wavy kink in the back that you could ride on with a surf board :D haha.

btw, you have an awesome looking french braid in your avatar :thumbsup:

redneckprincess
August 5th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Mine does the same thing, Though at shoulder length it bends up and sits on my sholders so much that it folds up, but I think when it gets longer it will not have body parts (untill it readhes my butt, lol)to try to continually fold it up out of its way...though still at shoulder length the ends have been behaving and setting straighter since I have stopped with all the heating products and product.

patience
August 5th, 2009, 06:11 PM
If I were you I would just pull back in a ponytail or braid and not worry about. I've noticed that when hair is at your length it wants to to the flippy thing, but as it grows longer it stops flipping. You may just have to wait out this awkward stage.

Just my :twocents:

pradabacon
August 5th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Ahhh, yes. I had flippy hair at shoulder length, too. But I liked it that way, so I never tried to stop it from happening. I think it's cute! :smile:

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Mine does the same thing, Though at shoulder length it bends up and sits on my sholders so much that it folds up, but I think when it gets longer it will not have body parts (untill it readhes my butt, lol)to try to continually fold it up out of its way...though still at shoulder length the ends have been behaving and setting straighter since I have stopped with all the heating products and product.

^ I did notice that when I had long hair (I'll post pics later of it on) that it just slightly flipped, when it was past my shoulders. I rarely use any products either. For some reason, shirts with collars are notorious for making it flip up even worse. lol :confused:

skydancer7
August 5th, 2009, 06:20 PM
My hair is doing the EXACT same thing right now. It's just a phase it's going through as it tries to grow past shoulder.

Personally, I either just ignore it or put it into a low ponytail and forget about it. No real advice for you I guess... Sorry!

But I feel your pain! I certainly would never style it this way on purpose :P

Nyghtingale
August 5th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Ahhh, yes. I had flippy hair at shoulder length, too. But I liked it that way, so I never tried to stop it from happening. I think it's cute! :smile:
yep, cute :D

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 06:27 PM
If I were you I would just pull back in a ponytail or braid and not worry about. I've noticed that when hair is at your length it wants to to the flippy thing, but as it grows longer it stops flipping. You may just have to wait out this awkward stage.

Just my :twocents:

^ Thanks! I'll take that $.01, cause I'm broke right now, I just order a new guitar lol ;)! I have noticed that when I take my hair out of a braid, I can easily brush it straight, without any flips to deal with. My only issue is that it isn't long enough yet to hold very many plaits (or crossovers) at the bottom where it wants to flip. I can maybe squeeze about 3 or 4 plaits in because my hair is fine and hard to grasp. However when someone else braids my hair from the top all of the way down, they can get about 5-7 plaits down past neck. . . how is that possible?! :magic: lol
Thanks for that tip!

redneckprincess
August 5th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Im starting to like mine as its starting to go away, but the collared shirts or hoodie sweatshirts are the worst, I usually wear it up on those days

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 07:47 PM

yep, cute :D

:p haha, i don't do "cute"

just playing! thanks though!

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Im starting to like mine as its starting to go away, but the collared shirts or hoodie sweatshirts are the worst, I usually wear it up on those days

^ +1 about the hoodies. I used to wear them all of the time when my hair was shorter, but I stopped because of that reason, unless I'm wearing a ponytail.

pradabacon
August 5th, 2009, 08:10 PM
:p haha, i don't do "cute"

just playing! thanks though!

Okay, it's SEXAY! :eyebrows: How 'bout that? :D

Seriously though, I hope you stick around and try some of the hair care advice here. It's been invaluable for me and my hair already and I've only been here a few weeks. If you want to go longer, you'll get past flip stage in no time as long as you start taking good care of it so it doesn't get damaged and want to break off at shoulder.

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Okay, it's SEXAY! :eyebrows: How 'bout that? :D

Seriously though, I hope you stick around and try some of the hair care advice here. It's been invaluable for me and my hair already and I've only been here a few weeks. If you want to go longer, you'll get past flip stage in no time as long as you start taking good care of it so it doesn't get damaged and want to break off at shoulder.

^ LOL thanks!

Yeah I mean I'm a guy, and the last couple of girls that I dated taught me some cool things about hair, but I don't know any in-depth care routines that may be critical. I've been learning extensively just by viewing some of the board topics.

It's not like I could ask for advice over at the hot rod classic car forums about how I could wear my hair with the top down going down the interstate @80mph. LOL :run:

heatherdazy
August 5th, 2009, 08:26 PM
First, I have to say it's pretty crappy of your stylist to sell you an appliance without giving you a step by step tutorial on how to use it. But that's just me.

Anyway, if you're right at shoulder length, you're just going to have to deal with the flip for a bit, especially in the back. If you can straighten or curl under all of the hair that grows in from of your ears, you will look less retro.

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 08:44 PM
First, I have to say it's pretty crappy of your stylist to sell you an appliance without giving you a step by step tutorial on how to use it. But that's just me.

Anyway, if you're right at shoulder length, you're just going to have to deal with the flip for a bit, especially in the back. If you can straighten or curl under all of the hair that grows in from of your ears, you will look less retro.

^ thanks for your concern. She did try to explain to me how to use it, but I guess I'm just impaired with hair accessories because I've never paid much attention to them, until I wanted to grow it out. haha.

What I do is but the bottom of my hair that is flipped up in-between the grabber ceramic part and then grip tightly while pulling "straight" down at the same time. However my hair still flips right up :confused: !

I'm reminded of an old saying "Well then, you must not be holding your tongue :p just right then!" LOL :D

heatherdazy
August 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM
It sounds like you're trying to fit way too much hair into your iron. It needs to be a thin section so the heat can penetrate the hair. You'll need to clip up the top layers of your hair and start with just a small amount on the bottom.

Hope that helps!

Juneii
August 5th, 2009, 08:50 PM
that happened to me a lot when my hair was that length. I have a lot of layers so I've been in that awkward stage many times until they grew out.
just stick with it, if you want you can clip your hair up, like half up and half down to make it look interesting.
don't bother with the straightener, it usually doesn't work because they are warm after the flat iron and then falls down to your shoulders again - which makes it flip, if that makes sense.
well, actually, you can try straight ironing your hair upside down and keeping your head down for a while until your hair cools, it might stay straight that way.

anyway, welcome to LHC and good luck! your hair will grow out of the awkward stage soon!

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 08:53 PM
It sounds like you're trying to fit way too much hair into your iron. It needs to be a thin section so the heat can penetrate the hair. You'll need to clip up the top layers of your hair and start with just a small amount on the bottom.

Hope that helps!

ooOOHHhhoo..........oOKk LOL!

I was grabbing the entire back then going from one side to the other! I was in fact putting all of my hair that I could fit at a time and then pulling straight down, with the heat set on MAX! :shrug:

manderly
August 5th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Really????

I loved that stage! I miss it :(

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1272.jpg

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 09:01 PM
that happened to me a lot when my hair was that length. I have a lot of layers so I've been in that awkward stage many times until they grew out.
just stick with it, if you want you can clip your hair up, like half up and half down to make it look interesting.
don't bother with the straightener, it usually doesn't work because they are warm after the flat iron and then falls down to your shoulders again - which makes it flip, if that makes sense.
well, actually, you can try straight ironing your hair upside down and keeping your head down for a while until your hair cools, it might stay straight that way.

anyway, welcome to LHC and good luck! your hair will grow out of the awkward stage soon!

^ Thanks!

Though I don't own any clips, and I don't know really how to use them, however they shouldn't be to big of a deal to figure out. haha.

That reminds me. . . I used to ignorantly tease and poke fun of my friends who were females about their hair, and how it took them too much time to fix it. Now, I understand why. . . LOL sense I've had long hair, cut it, grew it out again, cut it again, and now growing it back out for a 3rd time, I've apologized to them about my rude remarks, and became humble about it. haha. :o

pradabacon
August 5th, 2009, 09:03 PM
^^^ http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/lol-049.gif You're a treat! Really!

You can get some cheap jaw clips or beak clips at any Walmart or drugstore. No expertise required...just pull up the section you want out of the way, put it close to your head, and put the clip in to keep it there. Just don't rip the clips out (along with lots of hair) when you're done.

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Really????

I loved that stage! I miss it :(

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1272.jpg

^ HEY who asked you?!

haha just kidding!!

btw you've got a cool redish tent to your hair in your sig. Somewhat of a strawberry'ish blonde color. awesome

pradabacon
August 5th, 2009, 09:10 PM
P.S. Or get fancy clips, and when you're past flip stage and no longer need the straightener, give them to the ladies as an apology and appreciation for all the hard work they put into looking pretty for you. http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/nuts.gif

manderly
August 5th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Hehehehe, I forgot to mention that yes, it is just a stage. Your hair will grow out of it :) Until then you've received lots of good ideas :D

Thanks on the color. That was when I ColorOops'd my hair (pulled old dye out) and henna/cassia'd it, so it was quite orange :) No more.

Juneii
August 5th, 2009, 09:35 PM
^ Thanks!

Though I don't own any clips, and I don't know really how to use them, however they shouldn't be to big of a deal to figure out. haha.

That reminds me. . . I used to ignorantly tease and poke fun of my friends who were females about their hair, and how it took them too much time to fix it. Now, I understand why. . . LOL sense I've had long hair, cut it, grew it out again, cut it again, and now growing it back out for a 3rd time, I've apologized to them about my rude remarks, and became humble about it. haha. :o

it's not as hard as it sounds. put your thumbs on both sides of your head, right above your ears, and angle it upwards towards the back of your head, and run your thumbs back. and what you have collected in your hands is about half the size of your hair. you can use a hair tie to tie it back too, no need for clips.

FINALLY a guy who appreciate the things we do to look good. :)

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 09:53 PM
^^^ http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/lol-049.gif You're a treat! Really!

You can get some cheap jaw clips or beak clips at any Walmart or drugstore. No expertise required...just pull up the section you want out of the way, put it close to your head, and put the clip in to keep it there. Just don't rip the clips out (along with lots of hair) when you're done.

P.S. Or get fancy clips, and when you're past flip stage and no longer need the straightener, give them to the ladies as an apology and appreciation for all the hard work they put into looking pretty for you. http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/nuts.gif

Alright now!! remember go easy on me, I'm a "hair challenged" dude :doh:

Also on the fancy stuff note. I did in-fact buy them very nice expensive hair accessories on their birthdays and as Christmas presents! I mean I don't really know what I bought for them, I just saw it and said, "Hey this looks cool, and I hope they don't already have one of these :confused:!" So I bought for them! lol.

. . . but I mean haven't you noticed on some of the packaging and boxes on those hair products, that they have no directions whatsoever!!! serious you'll see like this little gadget, and next to it will be a picture of a woman wearing a cool looking, french twisted, braided, topsytailed, rolled-over, and looped around 10 times, perfectly shiny, and sleek bun. . . but when you turn the package on the back to see the instructions. . . IT'S BLANK!!!

Then you ask yourself. . . "But how do I do that cool looking, french twisted, braided, topsytailed, rolled-over, and looped around 10 times, perfectly shiny, and sleek bun?!?!?!" :agape: LOL

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 09:55 PM
it's not as hard as it sounds. put your thumbs on both sides of your head, right above your ears, and angle it upwards towards the back of your head, and run your thumbs back. and what you have collected in your hands is about half the size of your hair. you can use a hair tie to tie it back too, no need for clips.

FINALLY a guy who appreciate the things we do to look good. :)

Thanks for your input Juneii!

honestly, appreciation comes with age. . . live and learn :)!

pradabacon
August 5th, 2009, 10:08 PM
. . . but I mean haven't you noticed on some of the packaging and boxes on those hair products, that they have no directions whatsoever!!! serious you'll see like this little gadget, and next to it will be a picture of a woman wearing a cool looking, french twisted, braided, topsytailed, rolled-over, and looped around 10 times, perfectly shiny, and sleek bun. . . but when you turn the package on the back to see the instructions. . . IT'S BLANK!!!

Then you ask yourself. . . "But how do I do that cool looking, french twisted, braided, topsytailed, rolled-over, and looped around 10 times, perfectly shiny, and sleek bun?!?!?!" :agape: LOL

I have noticed this very thing. :D Probably because there's no way you can actually get those styles with the product provided, and they expect us to buy them because we just can't resist sparkly things and interesting-looking contraptions that will guarantee us perfectly coiffed hair with no effort on our part. It's so simple, it needs no instructions! And yep, we buy them to decorate our bathroom drawers...

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I have noticed this very thing. :D Probably because there's no way you can actually get those styles with the product provided, and they expect us to buy them because we just can't resist sparkly things and interesting-looking contraptions that will guarantee us perfectly coiffed hair with no effort on our part. It's so simple, it needs no instructions! And yep, we buy them to decorate our bathroom drawers...

OMG a girl finally admitted it! lol j/k! please forgive me, but I had to say it! haha

oh btw, I forgot to tell ya in my previous posts, when I got wrapped up in clips and straighteners, haha. . . that your tattoo on the back of your neck looks killer, especially with your dark hair in an updo. Nice creativity with the galaxy setting, and your hair does resemble that of a singularity nova. :thumbsup:

pradabacon
August 5th, 2009, 10:51 PM
OMG a girl finally admitted it! lol j/k! please forgive me, but I had to say it! haha

:D Yeah, we're kinda like crows that way...ooooh, a shiny! http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/drool.gif

oh btw, I forgot to tell ya in my previous posts, when I got wrapped up in clips and straighteners, haha. . . that your tattoo on the back of your neck looks killer, especially with your dark hair in an updo. Nice creativity with the galaxy setting, and your hair does resemble that of a singularity nova. :thumbsup:

Thank you! That sort of thing happens when I have too much Mountain Dew. http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/blush.gif

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 11:56 PM
:D Yeah, we're kinda like crows that way...ooooh, a shiny! http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/drool.gif

Thank you! That sort of thing happens when I have too much Mountain Dew. http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/blush.gif

I love Mtn Dew, especially Mtn Dew Amp, Monster, B-52, and the best one of them ALL. . . Holley NOS!! :taz:

yellowchariot
August 7th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I've found a way to practically get rid of that notorious flip in the back. I have found that by braiding my hair down my neck as far as I can, and then leaving it in for awhile, it gives me waves. Which is better than a flip. Then I can comb it out :thumbsup:

I want to thank all of you for your suggestions!

BTW I've uploaded some pics in my album. . . so now you can make fun of me, and leave negative comments LOL

pradabacon
August 7th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Congrats on finding something that works for you!

Now please excuse me, I have an album to go make fun of...:p

yellowchariot
August 7th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Congrats on finding something that works for you!

Now please excuse me, I have an album to go make fun of...:p

^ :rolleyes:

:patrol: LOL

yellowchariot
August 8th, 2009, 01:38 PM
For all of you that suggested clips, I tried one in a bun that was suggested to me, If you laugh, than, I'm taking the pics down :o

LOL j/k but honestly tell me what you think. peace out

pradabacon
August 8th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Pics where? I need pics!

yellowchariot
August 8th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Pics where? I need pics!

Did they not upload?

pradabacon
August 8th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Ahhh...I found them. I didn't click on 'more albums', so I was just looking in the wrong hair album.

I'm very disappointed to say that I don't feel I can laugh at your bun. And I really wanted to! Boooo! :laugh:

Seriously, I think it looks fine. I wouldn't wear it out on a date or anything, but for keeping your hair out of the way of the chainsaw, it works.

Now let's see some high pigtails! http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/nuts.gif JK!

yellowchariot
August 8th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Ahhh...I found them. I didn't click on 'more albums', so I was just looking in the wrong hair album.

I'm very disappointed to say that I don't feel I can laugh at your bun. And I really wanted to! Boooo! :laugh:

Seriously, I think it looks fine. I wouldn't wear it out on a date or anything, but for keeping your hair out of the way of the chainsaw, it works.

Now let's see some high pigtails! http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/nuts.gif JK!

^ LOL yeah, I wouldn't wear those styles out in public, they serve mostly just to keep it out of the way.
When I go out, it's either straight down, or in a ponytail. :thumbsup: