PDA

View Full Version : Ambush Makeover Upset

jamisonlcloud
April 14th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Ambush Makeover had a woman on that is an interior designer in serious need of a makeover. Everything was going well until the hairstylist brought out the scissors. The next thing I know the woman is saying "I don't want my hair cut, and if you can't abide by that, then I need to leave." She then got up with wet hair and all in an attempt to leave. Then of course there was a commercial... so I don't know what happened after that. I do know that it was good to see someone standing up to a makeover crew as far as hair cutting. Ironically enough, the host of the show has shoulder length hair... wonder why she hasn't cut hers.

SHELIAANN1969
April 14th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I guess it seems that what IS good for the poor unsuspecting "Geese" is not good for the gander!

I wouldve left too, I dont now why in the world these shows all think that CUTTING the hair is the biggest option in changing or "updating" someones appearance.

Maybe they need a hairstylist that knows how to do fabulous updos, with some wonderful hairtoys!

jamisonlcloud
April 14th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Okay, here's the rest of what happened... The woman went in to finished getting her hair done, and the host said "The stylist is going to give you a trim, she's going to take off about 3 inches..." the woman then replied "3 Inches!?! That's not a trim, that's a hair cut!" Then the host replied "But you have a lot of damage.." The woman replied "I understand that, but I don't need three inches taken off, I need a trim. I don't want my hair cut, and if you can't abide by that, then I'm leaving."

I guess what I said before was just a preview to come! But I'm glad that woman stuck to her guns, because 3 inches is a lot of length! Six months worth of length for a lot of people!

spidermom
April 14th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Heck - a year's worth of length for some people.

angelthadiva
April 14th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I would have been hot, and not in a good way! Good for her, for sticking up for herself...Some ppl might not just to save face...Did the show indicate who set up the Ambush? They'd so be off my Christmas Card list!

Loviatar
April 14th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Nice to see someone on one of those awful shows sticking to her/his guns. :rockerdud

mommy2one05
April 14th, 2008, 09:13 AM
wow that's great that she stuck to it and took a stand for her hair. a woman or man can look nice with long hair.

eadwine
April 14th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Yay!! Good for her!

sunspark*
November 8th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I've never watched this show, but just stumbled across a couple of their long long hair makeover's on the net. I went through the whole 136 pictures, and ya, the theme seems to be cut and dye and flip them into some plunging neckline with about a pound of make-up on!! It's all just so not me! Some of the women on there did look alot better/younger with makeovers, but alot of them were just 'eh'.. I bet they don't go on to do all it takes to keep up their new 'looks'.

This first girl looks good with the shorter cut, but she's so pretty anyway.. the second one looks ok, I dunno, I guess they wanted a change to stay and get it cut off like this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=89#tdy_ambush_makeovers
(click on the next button to see her after)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=94#tdy_ambush_makeovers

Speckla
November 8th, 2008, 04:54 PM
The biggest differences I see are the smiles. Most of them look unhappy in the first picture. Let them smile before the cut and I bet they'd look much better.

Moisturize that hair, smile, and you'll look like a new person without scissors or makeup.
________
ASTHMA FORUMS (http://www.health-forums.org/asthma/)

Kirin
November 8th, 2008, 05:06 PM
LOL I simply cut bangs and I look all fresh and new and younger. You dont need short hair to look fresh!

I hate when they make over busy women especially mothers, chopping it all off, with all the dye and highlights. Look I have nothing against those styles, but yeah a mom really has time to get touch ups (plus the cost) and to style it every day? Who the heck are they kidding?

Arielle8960
November 8th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I agree with you, Kirin. A lot of their posted photos have tidbits like "stay-at-home mom to four kids in need of a new look". Wouldn't it be more helpful for the experts to offer to teach them new ways of styling their hair so they are happier with their appearance, before lopping off their hair and coloring it up the wazoo?
Also, I don't believe that these makeover photos can possibly be the same person. They really must be going for a completely altered appearance. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=8#tdy_ambush_makeovers

Ponytale
November 8th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Wow--that last one looked way better in the "before"! It looks like they added to her weight, but I think the short cuts do that to many of the make-overs. I wonder how that feels the day after--"Wow! I look ten pounds heavier! Thank you Stylists!"

MotherConfessor
November 8th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Always with the hair.... good for that girl for sticking up for herself. What I really want is for someone to say "Look, I want you to help me improve my look, not try to change who I am and what I like. Big difference - Kapish? (I also would not mind "Buddy you come near me with those scissors and you're going to be wearing them in an uncomfortable area")" And its absolutely true, most of those women just needed to take better care of their hair, apply better makeup and understand what works for their body type. So give them the right colors, go over clothes and give them the LHC adress.

DecafJane
November 8th, 2008, 08:41 PM
The after photos always make them look like every other person you see on TV. It is really sad. I also think that a number of the makeovers make them look older rather than younger, particularly the first girl from Hawaii. She had such beautiful hair before, and now it looks like everybody elses hair.
If they just changed their clothes a little, took some time styling the old hair (the same that they spent on the new hair) and gave them a chance to put on some makeup, they would look much better too, without needing an entire new "image."
I can dress myself up nicely for an important occasion, but if you spot me down the street in jeans and a t-shirt I can guarantee that I don't look fancy and glamorous - nobody does!
The premise of these shows are is just ridiculous. We look as good as we have time to look in everyday life.

noelgirl
November 8th, 2008, 08:57 PM
The premise of these shows are is just ridiculous. We look as good as we have time to look in everyday life.

Exactly. I know that I wouldn't look any more "pulled together" with short hair or whatever else simply because I exist in a perpetual state of frazzle. It's one of those things where we can do this the easy way or the hard way. Just leave me alone in my comfortable clothes and crazy hair, or spend time and money on a makeover only for it to all disintegrate in about a day. Seriously, I so much as look at a suit and it wrinkles. I'm not made to be one of those people who's put together all the time.

(And knowing some of these makeover shows, they'd take what I just said as a challenge. They don't accept that sometimes the uniform just doesn't fit.)

Lara1
November 8th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Good for that girl for sticking for herself!!

The photos before and after made with different lighting and position of women, of course, in faivour of the "after" photos.
On "after" photos they are far away from the camera and they also have a make-up.
Some women on "before" photos were obviously talking at the time they took a picture. They were just not ready to take the picture.
I had a photography course in my school and I know how to make a person to look the best or the worst on the photo.
I believe long hair is a sort of a signature for me and I admire the girl for sticking to her own opinion!

jojo
November 9th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Wow--that last one looked way better in the "before"! It looks like they added to her weight, but I think the short cuts do that to many of the make-overs. I wonder how that feels the day after--"Wow! I look ten pounds heavier! Thank you Stylists!"

i thought that too, one thing for long hair it does balance weight for those of us who carry yesterdays big mac on our faces! that after picture adds loads of weight and she looked better before!

Hatsumomo
November 9th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Looking through the makeovers....a ponytail was donated to Locks of Love...oh how fabulous only not really...

nastasska
November 9th, 2008, 06:52 AM
The biggest differences I see are the smiles. Most of them look unhappy in the first picture. Let them smile before the cut and I bet they'd look much better.

Moisturize that hair, smile, and you'll look like a new person without scissors or makeup.

My friend had a makeover in a magazine when we were teenagers.She told me all about how in the before shots they told her to look as miserable as possible not to smile etc.
It's all set up that way deliberately

ClareDee
November 9th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I think some of those ambush makeovers seem pretty good (although of course the unsmiling expression and harsh face-forward mugshot "Before" picture is almost always at a disadvantage... compare it to the glamour, smiles and flattering camera angles of the "After" one).
Here are a few which I do think were definitely better Before:

Superlong from Hawaii (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=90#tdy_ambush_makeovers)
Waah! I see this one has been mentioned already. In fairness, this woman is beautiful, and looks great with the shorter hair too. But wow, that thigh-length hair was wonderful. It was her choice to get rid of it, obviously, but it was so, so nice....

Long wavy blonde to red (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=94#tdy_ambush_makeovers)
Another woman who goes much shorter. I won't bash the new cut - I like it. But I think her long blonde hair was beautiful. It made her stand out... she looks kind of ethereal in the first picture.

Dark hair must go? (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=52#tdy_ambush_makeovers)
Her hair is tied back so I can't comment on length... I just think the dark colour is better on her. They shouldn't have let her wear that pink top in the first pic - it complements her hair colour too well! :p

Long and dark to light and short (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=54#tdy_ambush_makeovers)
Same story - her dark hair colour suited her complexion... The After look will take a lot of maintenance to keep it shaped... and to me it seems like one of those looks that only works when you are glammed up -- picture that hair on a casual day at the gym. :hmm: Hey, maybe my decision is swayed because her smile looks so stiff and scared in the after pic, and so natural in the before.

I heart grey hair (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=112#tdy_ambush_makeovers)
I really liked this woman's silver hair. All of the makeovers for older women gave them dyed hair. No big deal, and their choice, but I think silvery grey is such a lovely soft colour. It definitely suited this woman, imo. The after shot is very Hillary Clinton-esque. Whether that's a good or bad or neutral thing is subjective...

Those are only my opinions, of course. Not everyone wants to keep their hair long or dark or grey, and good for them if they feel better about having a new look. I wish the Before and After shots were fairer, though, just so people can get a clear idea of whether it's just a smile, earrings and a good angle that make the bulk of difference :shrug:

MagpieMama
November 9th, 2008, 08:43 AM
ugh those makeovers (at least the ones I looked at) are just awful IMO. As mentioned by previous posters - and I have to agree - the 'ambushed' look so much older to me. Some of the natural looks (again as already highlighted ;) ) would be so lovely in friendlier lights/ photographic approaches.
I would be far more impressed by a 'things you can do in 5 - 15 minutes to update/ improve - but still be yourself' rather than cut-n-dye-n-overly-make-up these folks. I suppose that might not be quite as exciting or dramatic.

and good for the woman who just said no :)