PDA

View Full Version : Fringe trimming

Periwinkle
August 5th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I had a side-fringe cut in March. A couple of months later, I had it trimmed, and lo and behold, it was about an inch too short and I had to wear it up or straighten it for weeks if I wanted to look presentable.

It needed trimming again, and my mum offered to do it. She's generally competant at cutting a straight line and I've trusted her with my hair before, and given the mess the hairdresser made, I figured it was worth a shot. Once again, it's about an inch too short.

I'm now thinking of totally growing it out because maintenance seems to be impossible. Is it possible to get your fringe trimmed and still have it look okay?

LutraLutra
August 5th, 2009, 07:40 AM
In a word - yes. :D I get my huge, long, blunt fringe trimmed for free every 3 - 4 weeks by my hairdresser and it looks great. He knows I like my fringe to be eyebrow lenght, so each time I have it cut he only takes a little bit off.

amaiaisabella
August 5th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I trim my own, so... yes. I have to be careful not to be lazy and grab the manicure scissors though :p because then I'm stuck for at least 15 minutes sawing away. I generally cut just a bit to keep them from looking ragged, and my hair grows slow so I only do it once a month. A few weeks ago, I deliberately cut them a little shorter, since I like how they look when they are long, and they'll grow in sleeker just in time for school to start.

heatherdazy
August 5th, 2009, 08:12 AM
First, make sure your fringe is dry and styled how you're going to wear it. Never trim bangs wet. Sometimes an inexperienced stylist might take the length first, then shape them, which winds up shortening too much, so go in and just ask for them to be dusted and shaped, than you really don't want much off.

Bang trims are very quick, so even if the stylist has to go back and re-cut them 5 times because they're still too long, you won't be in the chair more than 15 minutes.

I wouldn't give up on your stylist just because the fringe was too short one time. I'd simply let them know you felt that way. If it's too short a second time after expressing your displeasure, however, definitely look for someone else.

concrescence
August 5th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I also successfully trim my own bangs. There are lots of videos on youtube that will give you some tips. But there are different methods and some are more suited to different types of bangs, so make sure that they have the kind you want.

Also, if you do have a stylist do it, make sure that *they* understand what kind of bangs you want and exactly where you want them to fall when dry.

And I heartily agree with the posters below: Never cut (or allow a stylist to cut) wet bangs.

redneckprincess
August 5th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I cut my bangs to short about 3 weeks ago, now there ready to be trimmed again, but this time I think I will grow them out for a few more months, im in great need for a change and I love to let my bangs grow down past my nose and cut them back and do it all over again...makes me know the back HAS to be growing that well also

ChrissieM
August 5th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I trim my own bangs....I like them super long and I always end up with above eyebrow length when I go to a stylist. So I just do them myself, 1/16 in at a time. I'm getting pretty good at it, I think. Time to venture into self-trimming the back of my hair.

Heidi_234
August 5th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I maintained my own bangs for years. Rarely, I'd go to a hairdresser to trim my bangs, and honestly I saw no difference. One thing that I know is that you don't really cut your bangs blunt (in 90 degrees to the hairs), but with the tips of the scissors pointed upwards (in say 45 degrees), jusy the very ends of the hair, really few millimeters, no more. If you try to cut it blunt you'll never get it straight.