View Full Version : Did I just shoot myself in the foot?

MandaMom2Three
August 5th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I think my hair is rebelling on me right now due to protein overload (it LOVED protein there for a while but I think I just got too much of a good thing) so I'm avoiding protein and giving my hair as much moisture as possible. I just finished putting it up in an SMT when I thought "Oh no! Does honey have protein in it :confused: ?" I googled it and apparently honey does contain very small amounts of protein :nono: . Is the amount of protein in honey going to exacerbate the state of protein disaster in my hair or did I dodge a bullet here? Should I just sub glycerin for honey until my hair's back under control? :shrug:

HairColoredHair
August 5th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I think the moisture properties of the honey will far outweigh that of it's tiny bit of protein...

My hair doesn't like protein, but it reacts very well to honey treatments. :)

Lemur_Catta
August 5th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Honey is about 76% carbohydrates and 0,76% proteins. I don't know how much honey you put in your hair, but I don't think there are enough proteins for you to worry!

MandaMom2Three
August 5th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Oh good! Turned out VERY nice and silky again so obviously it's all good :D

Themyst
August 5th, 2009, 08:30 AM
:hmm: I wonder if this is also the case with taking protein internally. My nails have been in terrible shape lately and so I bought some protein powder as a food additive because I'm a picky vegetarian. I guess time will tell.

Heidi_234
August 5th, 2009, 08:37 AM
As far as I know, any protein that is not specifically processed and broken down for use on hair, will not be a real protein treatment because the molecules are simply too big to penetrate the hair shaft. So if you think your hair needs one, eggs and mayo are no use, conditioner or hair mask are the way to go.

HairColoredHair
August 5th, 2009, 10:15 AM
As far as I know, any protein that is not specifically processed and broken down for use on hair, will not be a real protein treatment because the molecules are simply too big to penetrate the hair shaft. So if you think your hair needs one, eggs and mayo are no use, conditioner or hair mask are the way to go.

I have a hard time believing that. Many people use eggs as protein treatments...

And conditioners and hair masks aren't always the best way to get proteins (or moisture!)

MandaMom2Three
August 5th, 2009, 10:20 AM
:shrug: using eggs seemed to work pretty good for me when my hair liked protein

Heidi_234
August 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I have a hard time believing that. Many people use eggs as protein treatments...

And conditioners and hair masks aren't always the best way to get proteins (or moisture!)
Well, I'm not certain of that. I've heard that from 1 person, but I just did a quick googling:

Protein molecules are too large to penetrate the hair and fix on to hair keratin. They can be used either in the form of partial hydrolysates, a peptide mix, or, going even further, in the form of amino acids resulting from total hydrolysis. ...
http://books.google.com/books?id=OCNo0byYC_wC&pg=PA118&lpg=PA118&dq=egg+protein+too+big+for+hair&source=bl&ots=l0-SrmUaq3&sig=ou5qIPAtG5kgUGe5_MSQypErCeM&hl=en&ei=jLB5SuODJ-SrjAfIkaC9Bw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7#v=onepage&q=&f=false

In order for a protein to be useful for hair, it has to be broken up into smaller segments. This is because proteins such as collagen, wheat protein or keratin are TOO LARGE to be useful. By breaking the protein up into smaller fragments (known as hydrolysed or hydrolyzed protein). Amino acids on the other hand are TOO SMALL.

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/06/size-matters-protein-conditioning-part.html

Spike
August 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Ahhhh . . . so use a conditioner with "hydrolyzed animal protien" as an ingredient, and get the protien in bites small enough for hair to eat.

Got it.

Heidi_234
August 5th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Ahhhh . . . so use a conditioner with "hydrolyzed animal protien" as an ingredient, and get the protien in bites small enough for hair to eat.

Got it.
Not necessarily "hydrolyzed animal protien", there's hydrolyzed wheat protein, and silk protein if I'm not mistaken (in case the source of the ingredient bothers you).

HairColoredHair
August 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Well, I'm not certain of that. I've heard that from 1 person, but I just did a quick googling:

http://books.google.com/books?id=OCNo0byYC_wC&pg=PA118&lpg=PA118&dq=egg+protein+too+big+for+hair&source=bl&ots=l0-SrmUaq3&sig=ou5qIPAtG5kgUGe5_MSQypErCeM&hl=en&ei=jLB5SuODJ-SrjAfIkaC9Bw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7#v=onepage&q=&f=false

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/06/size-matters-protein-conditioning-part.html

My guess would be that eggs and yogurt and other living sources of protein are also sources of peptides and smaller proteins, by the very nature of protein creation and decay, thus they still have helpful properties without the intervention of man.

Heidi_234
August 5th, 2009, 02:18 PM
My guess would be that eggs and yogurt and other living sources of protein are also sources of peptides and smaller proteins, by the very nature of protein creation and decay, thus they still have helpful properties without the intervention of man.
I didn't say that they are not really useful for hair, they are and people do use them in treatment for a good reason. Just not a protein treatments...