PDA

View Full Version : Shedding - how much is normal?

free_hug
August 5th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Shedding!!! Shedding is scary!

How many hair/day is normal? Somewhere i think i read 30 to a 100 hairs a day could be shed and that would still be entirely normal, but i read it as a child, i might even remember the wrong numbers...

And my problem (the reason i'm almost freaking out) is that i shed considerably more. Well, this might actually mean not more than 30-50 a day. But i already have thin hair, and i hate losing more.

[Please consider: i may not even be losing more, only they become more apparent, since i'm at the famous post-pixie stage right now, meaning they are short, but the length of most of it doubled in the past few months. But getting some ideas, guidelines on distinguishing normal from problematic shedding would be more than welcome.]

Gypsygirl
August 5th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Well, it probably just looks like more because your hair is so much longer now! Have you ever really counted?
My stylist tells me that up to 100 is perfectly normal...but right now I shed more than that. My hair is all over the place. Even my husband is complaining about that. :D I am really a seasonal shedder- I go through a phase like that once a year, usually in summer or fall. It doesn't scare me anymore because I've gone through it so often by now! ;) My hair never looks any thinner once it's over, so I think that's just my normal rhythm. I probably shed less than normal when I'm not going through a shedding phase. Hope that helps! :)

karli
August 5th, 2009, 06:11 AM
When I shed a lot and was worried that something was wrong, I counted every strand I lost. Hidious! But it wasn`t more than 90, which would be ok. The longer hair, the bigger hairball though. It seems as if my sheds are seasonal as well, now it is back to normal, 20 to 30 strands a day.

embee
August 5th, 2009, 06:17 AM
I counted once as well, and was reassured by my count. It just looked like a lot. It also looks like a lot when I'm combing out after a wash and when I'm nearing the time for another wash. Once my hair got long the brush filled up fast (not really but it looked that way to my horrified eyes) because hair was folded over and over and over in the bristles.

Seems like the best solution is to count once in a while, and then you know. And can relax. Nervous worry does no good whatsoever! :)