PDA

View Full Version : S&D

esmeralda
August 5th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I have tried this method many times but I cannot seem to get rid of the splits. They seem to multiply faster than I can S&D.

This is probably also because I can't S&D for too long as I my eyes get strained soon and slowly my head starts to hurt.

So i eventually give up, go in for a trim and end up losing my length.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any solutions to this?

Elanor
August 5th, 2009, 05:37 AM
I haven't experienced this, but one thing that came to my mind is that are your scissors sharp enough? It's best to use scissors that are made for hair cutting and you should get them sharpened regularly. If you cut with dull scissors you will probably end up damaging your hair with them and creating more splits.

Flynn
August 5th, 2009, 05:44 AM
I know what you mean. I just tell myself that every bit helps.

esmeralda
August 11th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I bought new scissors meant to cut hair specially for this.

I wanted to know if there is any method to it. Like a certain angle it needs to be snipped off at etc.

spidermom
August 11th, 2009, 09:12 AM
When you consider that you have 100,000 (+/-) hairs on your head, you'll never be able to look at them all without going cross-eyed, so don't even try.

My S&D method is to keep scissors handy when I comb out my hair. I examine tangles for splits/damage and cut bad ends as needed. I also like to look at my braid ends for obvious splits; they stick out.

Sometimes when I'm waiting for something, like on hold with the telephone or in line at the drive-through at the bank, I'll lift my ends and scan them. Again, I'm only going after what's obvious and jumps right out at me. Damaged ends are usually lighter in color than healthy ends.

Heidi_234
August 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Well you have hundreds of hundreds of hairs on your head, don't expect to find all the splits. :p
~ Take the liberty to cut somewhat above the split, as you may not see it, but the hair may be already weathered.
~ Cut perpendicular to the hair (90 degrees).
~ Do it systematically if you want to make it more efficient, not just randomly picking up locks of hair and examine them (even though that's what I do :p).
~ Target hair that you know contains more damage - canopy, the ends of the bottom layer, the tips of your bangs/face framing layer.
~ Many splits tend to be not at the very ends, but concealed in the length. Twist or wrap a lock of hair and examine the ends that stick out. You'd be surprised! (or not)
~ Some splits, as well as white dots and fiery knot tend to be high above - even inch or two above the tip of the hair, so don't just examine the tips.
~ If you see big white dot in the end of the hair and slight discoloration, try tugging it gently, it might be a shed hair that stuck in your hair and double over or something.
~ You won't get all the splits at one long evening, just go it once in a while, it will pay off. Splits will keep appearing, it's not that they multiply or breed, your hair will do it even if you starting with 0 splits. Some factors contribute to their appearance, but S&D is not about preventing, it's about eliminating what's already happened.
HTH :flower:

spidermom
August 11th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Well you have hundreds of hundreds of hairs on your head, don't expect to find all the splits. :p
~ Take the liberty to cut somewhat below the split, as you may not see it, but the hair may be already weathered.

Ummmm, do you mean cut somewhat above the split?

AnneAdeline
August 11th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Since I started SDing, I feel like the splits never end. I think that when we start to SD, we begin to notice the splits more. I know that whenever I'm bored I look at my hair for splits.

I also like to look at my braid tassel for splits. It's the longest hairs contained in one bunch.

Heidi_234
August 11th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Ummmm, do you mean cut somewhat above the split?
Huh no, I meant doing cutting motions in the air so that the split will get scared and run away, :p
I did meant 'below', because when I hold my hair for S&Ding, the ends are facing up, so I actually cut below the split end. But it is inconsistent with what I wrote below. :doh: Should I edit? :ponder:

spidermom
August 11th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Huh no, I meant doing cutting motions in the air so that the split will get scared and run away, :p
I did meant 'below', because when I hold my hair for S&Ding, the ends are facing up, so I actually cut below the split end. But it is inconsistent with what I wrote below. :doh: Should I edit? :ponder:

No need to edit for me; I understand now. Sometimes I get splits where there is a "twig" sticking out from the side of the hair about 1-3 inches above the end, so if I cut below that, the twig would still be there. I'm thinking of above as closer to the head and below as closer to the ends.

Heidi_234
August 11th, 2009, 11:06 AM
No need to edit for me; I understand now. Sometimes I get splits where there is a "twig" sticking out from the side of the hair about 1-3 inches above the end, so if I cut below that, the twig would still be there. I'm thinking of above as closer to the head and below as closer to the ends.
I edited it anyway. It makes sense, and it's less confusing. :flowers: