PDA

View Full Version : Hair behaves like velcro after protein mask. Any suggestions?

Elly
August 5th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Hi there,

I thought I'd try out if my hair lacks protein (that was about 1 month ago) so i mixed a raw egg with a bit of oil and put it on as a leave in. After i left it in for about 30 mins i went to wash it out and i noticed instantly that something wasn't right.

My hair was a complete mess. Imagine the worst birdnest ever. In order to detangle it i lost like 3x the amout of hair that i would lose with my normal routine. Now it's about a month ago that i did the proteine leave in and i'm still struggling to get my hair back to it's original shape. For example my hair is always full of knots now and my lenghs behave like velcro! :mad: I haven't had this before since i'm also sleeping on a silk pillowcase in order to stop my hair from detangling...

I'm kinda lost here... having to detangle my hair every day intensively after i used protein. I thought this would sort itself out if i'd give it some time, but if you keep in mind that i did this about a month ago and still didn't get any change then this really worries me... What can i do in order to improve this? I'm already thinking about cones...

I'm really looking forward to your suggestions

Madame J
August 5th, 2009, 05:21 AM
I would say you probably need moisture and to not do protein treatments for a while, although you could have also just left some egg residue in your hair.

Also, try reading this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44) article to help you figure out what your hair wants before doing protein again.

heatherdazy
August 5th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I have to admit, I'm not super familiar with egg and oil treatments, but I do know too much protein in your hair products will make your hair start to feel brittle.

If that sounds like your hair, lay off the protein for a while and switch to moisture.

IMHO, most LHCers probably don't need much protein anyway, as protein loss in most women comes mainly from bleaching and perming/relaxing.

spidermom
August 5th, 2009, 08:19 AM
You should always follow a protein treatment with a deep moisture treatment.

Elly
August 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM
thanks for the replies. i'll try a deep moisture treatment

Sam-I-Am
August 5th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I would clarify before doing your moisture treatment. What you are describing is protein overload and it would really help to clarify before packing on the moisture.