PDA

View Full Version : I don't seem to have the part of my brain...

rogue_psyche
August 5th, 2009, 04:12 AM
...that tells me to put my hair up when it needs to be up. I love having my hair down, and at APL I had no problem cleaning my room and doing housework with my hair down.

Not the case these days. I don't seem to realize that I should've put my hair up until I bend over to pick something up, trap hair in my armpit, and proceed to straighten my back. *YANK*

When I had BSL hair in middle school I got a huge rats' nest because, the smart person I am, I didn't put my hair up during a trip to Yosemite, when I'd be wearing a hooded parka and hiking all day.

I have started to consistantly braid my hair for work, though. I'm really active at work, and the braid results in way less tangles than a ponytail. :doh:

Anyone else have this problem now, or did when their hair was first starting to get legitimately long? What helped you remember?

toodramatik
August 5th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I have the opposite problem!

When my hair was long, I'd take about 2 hours to style it in the morning. I'd get to school, be so annoyed at it, and throw it into a bun. I have NEVER liked my hair down. I remember crying when I was about 5 if my mother didn't tie up my hair in the morning before school, and refusing to go.

Queenie
August 5th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Aside from keeping damage at bay, just constantly having it all over the place made me put it up. It was annoying always having to deal with it, so basically there wasn't any other option.
I've been wearing a daily bun for years now, with the occasional exception. It quickly becomes a habit, especially when you notice the difference in health.

Madame J
August 5th, 2009, 05:07 AM
You could try doing one of those "Wear your hair up for a [to be specified amount of time]" challenges. You post on the thread every day (I'm doing my second challenge, so I'm keeping a log and posting once a week) so seeing the thread title will remind you. And maybe if you keep your hair up everyday for a month or so, you'll get more used to wearing it up.

Elettaria
August 5th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I agree, get yourself interested in putting your hair up and you're more likely to remember. You can explore new hair toys as well as hair styles.

Sarahmoon
August 5th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Buy a pretty hair toy you just HAVE to wear :D

natt i nord
August 5th, 2009, 05:54 AM
I have the same problem. :D
I remembered always when the hair first started getting into my way. Then it went up. Now I'm doing a challenge for wearing hair up for 100 days and now I'm getting used to it and put it up in the mornings automatically. You should really try that. :)

redneckprincess
August 5th, 2009, 08:34 AM
now that my hair is soft and shiny and looking 400x better then it ever has I hate to wear it up I love to feel it down, show it off.

Tyrinaniel
August 5th, 2009, 08:54 AM
When I was in grade school I had some problems. That was before I really got into braiding. What was horrible is we had those plastic chairs with the little bolt thingies that would hold the chair and desk together as one. My hair would never cease to get ripped in them. I knew another girl with the same problem, and we'd tape the bolts.... which the teacher would take off daily. She never learned... Maybe we should have ripped her hair and let her see how it felt. (Kidding)

spidermom
August 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I started putting my hair up when it started getting in my way all the time or feeling hot on my neck. Bending forward to pull weeds or put the vacuum cleaner together and having my hair fall into my face is reminder enough.

Gypsygirl
August 5th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I have had long hair all my life and still I don't "remember". I wear my hair down all the time. I secretly hate putting it up because its heavy...and I'm bad at updos. :(

brista
August 5th, 2009, 12:40 PM
What was horrible is we had those plastic chairs with the little bolt thingies that would hold the chair and desk together as one. My hair would never cease to get ripped in them. I knew another girl with the same problem, and we'd tape the bolts.... which the teacher would take off daily.

The same thing happened to me and other girls in my class (but with chairs that were separate from the desk). Sometimes it would get really tangled, too. And we also "solved" it by putting tape over the bolt.

rogue_psyche
August 5th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Buy a pretty hair toy you just HAVE to wear :D
I think that is a big part of the problem. I have very few hair toys since it's been years sinceI really have use for them. Really a ficcare and some hair sticks though.

now that my hair is soft and shiny and looking 400x better then it ever has I hate to wear it up I love to feel it down, show it off.
That's my exact feeling! My hair has been so shiny I want wear it down and have someone joke about seeing their reflection in my hair.

When I was in grade school I had some problems. That was before I really got into braiding. What was horrible is we had those plastic chairs with the little bolt thingies that would hold the chair and desk together as one. My hair would never cease to get ripped in them. I knew another girl with the same problem, and we'd tape the bolts.... which the teacher would take off daily. She never learned... Maybe we should have ripped her hair and let her see how it felt. (Kidding)

I had that problem too! I really hated it. Unfortunately I probably took it as a sign that I should go to the hair dresser, rather than wearing a braid when in the classroom. :rolleyes:

I have had long hair all my life and still I don't "remember". I wear my hair down all the time. I secretly hate putting it up because its heavy...and I'm bad at updos. :(
I'm just TERRIBLE at them. I miss my Hairdini. I can't seem to do a sock bun without one. I also am bad at judging which updos are even possible at my length and thickness.

You could try doing one of those "Wear your hair up for a [to be specified amount of time]" challenges. You post on the thread every day (I'm doing my second challenge, so I'm keeping a log and posting once a week) so seeing the thread title will remind you. And maybe if you keep your hair up everyday for a month or so, you'll get more used to wearing it up.
I'd like to do this challenge, but have a rule just for me to have it down on wash days. I still really love having my hair down.

annuscka
August 5th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I have this issue; I try to wear my hair down the first day after washing and up after that, often up most of the time. I tend not to like braid waves that much - they only stay for a few hours and afterwards we have cotton or frizz and me no like. It worked as a hairdo 10 inches ago, now it just gets annoying. Dunno, I tend to want it either stick-straight or curly, and I can't really get it curly these days. So it's either air dried au naturelle, or up for days, usually braided since I haven't really found a bun I like yet.

In an ideal world, this is - today I've had it down and the braid waves from the braid I slept in have become some vague frizz, and it's getting oilier as I have to touch the scalp a lot more, pushing it away and throwing the old fringe back. Bad bad.

I do like to wear it down sometimes, but it's in the way and I then angst more about possible frizz, or if it looks thin, or.... - it's better for everyone if it's up ;) And yes, it's in the way - it kept getting in front of my eyes when I tried to lean down to pet a very friendly dog today :D I can't really concentrate with it down - not to study, not to work - I just tug at it and get it oily. Ideally, I'd wear it braided all the time and only show it down to a few - I have some weird idea of wanting few to see it down. Don't know why! :D (I need to find new friends then, since everyone has seen it already, but...)

Why it sometimes can be so difficult to even do an English braid, I do not get.... (usually I go for French/Dutch styles, as my old layers tend to fall out and annoy me otherwise). Need a new routine, and should probably try a challenge!

Wicked Princess
August 5th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I like to wear my hair down when I can! Mainly because I feel embarrassed that I can only do all of three updos (up from two...I finally figured out the rope braid bun :D).

Unfortunately, my work environment is not the place to have hair getting in the way! And I can forget trying to exercise with it...not only is it in the way, but it's also too hot to wear it down! So really...remembering that I like being physically comfortable is a fairly good reminder for me. :)

paintedmuse
August 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Until half a year ago I had my hair down all the time, and I couldn't believe that some of you wear it up every day... it didn't get in my way at all. But now my hair gets somewhat annoying when it's down, so I wear it up a lot more... I still like how my hair looks when it's down, but it gets in my face, and not only that; it's everywhere around me^^ then I have to move it out of the way, and it gets stuck between my back and the couch/chair/whatever ervery time I sit down, and then I start worrying that I'm damaging it (I'm paranoid about that lately)

Dotlover
August 5th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Actually I've never had long hair before .. Lucky me! Haha, When I was little my Mother kept insisting that I be taken for a hair cut if it was getting *too long* so it's been a habit to have shorter hair. Not Cool!