PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for an SMT?

Heavenly Locks
August 4th, 2009, 09:18 PM
This weather...ick. Here in Japan it is amazingly hot. Temperature wise, not so much but add in the humidity and it's just hellish. Our new car had an air conditioner fail so we're going out IN the heat or I am traveling by foot and commuting through the heat that way.

I've been either rinsing or CO-ing nearly every day and my hair just feels dry. I coconut oil nearly everyday before bed and my canopy/ends are seeming lighter in color and more 'crisp' than they had been feeling.

I wear it up when I commute on foot and public transit, maybe I should wear a hat too. It's SO hot though! When I go out with DH I like to have it down so I know I am getting more sun than I should but I like to enjoy it down sometimes ;) The sweating and humidity is just bleh.

Is it time for an SMT? I did it before and I think it was the honey that made it seem a little crispy?

Maybe it's feeling bleh because I need to clarify? I don't know...

Rohele
August 4th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Could it be to much protein? I seem to recall you mentioned liking suave coconut conditioner to CO with (which has protein) plus you're using coconut oil too. My hair got crispy like this when I was using a protein treatment frequently. More moisture is supposed to help with that so a SMT would probably help if it's that or even just drier from the weather.

ETA: Does coconut oil have protein in it anyway? I thought I had read it did somewhere and have been avoiding it for that reason, but now I'm not sure.

My CO conditioner builds up on me and I have to clarify now and then too.

Anyway I'm rambling, lol. I would clarify first and go from there.

Heavenly Locks
August 4th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Good memory on the Suave coconut :) I haven't been able to get that for a few months so I don't think that's it. I have a few other Suave naturals that I got (and smuggled in my luggage) from the states when I last visited.

I did however use a moisture milks one last week...maybe my hair just HATES protein??

MandaMom2Three
August 4th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I'm wondering if my hair is over proteined too. It REALLY responded to protein treatments for a while but I think I over did it. It's dry and crispy again :( going to REALLY lay off the protein and see if that helps.

Rohele
August 4th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Maybe... I'd still clarify first (based on my experience with my conditioner building up - I use the strawberry suave) and follow up with a nice moisture treatment (couldn't hurt).

I just looked at your picture of your ends in the "show your ends thread" - they look very nice (even if you don't think they're looking their best). :)

Heavenly Locks
August 4th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I just looked at your picture of your ends in the "show your ends thread" - they look very nice (even if you don't think they're looking their best). :)

Thanks!! :cloud9:

I've got them oiled and just tucked up for today hoping they'll just hang out and absorb for the day...

I was looking at my new length shots and noticing the dry 'fuzzy' look that I've been trying to avoid. Maybe it's because I blew it dry? (I blow dry on low heat for the last 10% of dry time. The other 90% is air dry)

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/HeavenlyJumper/DSC_0238_2.jpg

pradabacon
August 4th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Coconut oil reduces protein loss from the hair, so that may be the problem. I hope you get it figured out. Your hair is very pretty! :)

pradabacon
August 4th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Here's Kirin's article on 'protein disasters', if that helps.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=17

Rohele
August 5th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks!! :cloud9:

I've got them oiled and just tucked up for today hoping they'll just hang out and absorb for the day...

I was looking at my new length shots and noticing the dry 'fuzzy' look that I've been trying to avoid. Maybe it's because I blew it dry? (I blow dry on low heat for the last 10% of dry time. The other 90% is air dry) ]

I think blow drying could definitely account for some of that, especially if you're not using any sort of straightening product when you do it. We've got fairly similar hair I think (at least based on our hair typing). Mine always looks like this if I've blown out the curl, especially in the absence of heavy silicone products to smooth it down in the end. I even get more frizz if I diffuse on cold and keep the waves. I'm always shocked by the difference between my no frizz, drip dried hair and hair that I've helped along a bit with the blow dryer.

Good luck with the ends - I hope a nice soak of oil does the trick for you!

Madame J
August 5th, 2009, 11:00 AM
ETA: Does coconut oil have protein in it anyway? I thought I had read it did somewhere and have been avoiding it for that reason, but now I'm not sure.

Coconut oil does not have protein -- it's oil, so pure fat. Coconut milk has protein in it. Coconut oil, however, can prevent protein loss during washing, so if you're not losing protein regularly, and using a product regularly that has protein in it, you might overload the protein and need some moisture.

HeavenlyLocks: I would clarify, and then SMT, and maybe vinegar rinse afterwards to make sure you don't get honey residue. But then, I feel very decadent whenever I do something with my hair that doesn't just involve washing and ACV rinsing, so I would jump at any excuse to SMT :D

Rohele
August 5th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Madame J - thanks for the explanation RE the coconut oil. :)