PDA

View Full Version : Pineapple and peacock twist damage

PhillyGirl1978@
August 4th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Ok, I looked for other topics but couldn't find anything that really answered my question. I have a lot of broken hairs at my hairline, they are long enough to seem fuzzy compared to the rest. I can have it all up and the wispy fine baby hairs fly all over. So I am wondering what I am doing that is causing them to break. I have noticed recently that with my standard bedtime style (the pineapple) I have to use 3 scrunchies because of the length but now I notice that the once high ponytail had gotten heavy and fallen down somewhere in the back of my head during the night while I sleep. So I am thinking is it the weight of my hair causing this not to be a viable style for me anymore? Is the scrunchie slipping down from the top of my hair causing hairs to wrap around and break? Also, my standard updo has been the peacock twist with a hairstick. That is actually really the only style I know how to do. But it's kinda seeming like the weight of my hair is making it pull a bit on the top front. So is a bun better? I have been feeling less pulling with a bun. I do have curly hair though so I was originally drawn to the pineapple and the peacock twist because of how they preserve my curls. Are their any other things I could use for standard up do's and sleep styles that may be safer?

Heavenly Locks
August 4th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I have to ask ... are you sure they are broken hairs and not just baby hairs that aren't long enough to stay in your styles?

If the ends look tapered, they are new growth. If they look blunt or frayed or damaged, it's breakage.

PhillyGirl1978@
August 4th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I have to ask ... are you sure they are broken hairs and not just baby hairs that aren't long enough to stay in your styles?

If the ends look tapered, they are new growth. If they look blunt or frayed or damaged, it's breakage.

Really? Cause I wouldn't have thought that their would be that much of a difference in growth time. I mean the rest of my hair is almost at my waist and I didn't have bangs or anything. Now I did remember a time when I complained of the top front of my hair being thinner than the rest but I think that was years and years ago.

GlassEyes
August 4th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Well, different hairs shed on different cycles, so it very well could be new growth. It couldn't hurt to check. :shrug:

HairColoredHair
August 4th, 2009, 07:46 PM
All your hairs grow and shed individually, or else we'd all go bald every few years. :)

They are probably just baby hairs. Many people use clear pure aloe gel to slick down the flyaway halo. :)

PhillyGirl1978@
August 4th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Huh....maybe that's it. They do seem to kinda taper at the end. So you don't think a pineapple could cause any damage?

GlassEyes
August 4th, 2009, 08:40 PM
It can, depending on how tight you're tying it. Any sort of hair-band can cause hair to be damaged from rubbing/pulling, etc. etc. :shrug:

Heavenly Locks
August 4th, 2009, 09:47 PM
So you don't think a pineapple could cause any damage?

I think if you threw one hard enough at the intended target you could get some decent damage ;) :p

Roseate
August 4th, 2009, 09:54 PM
They do sound like baby hairs, but if you're worried about damage while sleeping you could try a sleep cap instead- RedCelticCurls has the awesome-est one ever (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=669562&postcount=10), big enough to fit long hair. Here's a link (http://satinsakks.com/mainmenu.html) to where she got it.

Bene
August 4th, 2009, 10:04 PM
It seems like they're baby hairs. A very light oiling (1-2 drops) might help control them. I'm also a 3A, but your hair is finer. I would suggest grapeseed oil, it's of the lightest that I've tried so it may not leave you all greasy. Also, kimberlily's defrizz spray might work for you.

PhillyGirl1978@
August 5th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I think if you threw one hard enough at the intended target you could get some decent damage ;) :p

LOL!! Cute!

PhillyGirl1978@
August 5th, 2009, 05:47 PM
It seems like they're baby hairs. A very light oiling (1-2 drops) might help control them. I'm also a 3A, but your hair is finer. I would suggest grapeseed oil, it's of the lightest that I've tried so it may not leave you all greasy. Also, kimberlily's defrizz spray might work for you.

I'll have to try that. They may be baby hairs. It just seems like at this new length the tail part of the pineapple is so floppy and my hair has gotten quite slippy so the scrunchie slips down during the night. I need to account for the new weight that can pull on the top front more now than it did.

UrsaMama
August 6th, 2009, 07:26 PM
:rollin:I'm glad I didn't have anything in my mouth when I read this!

jacqueline101
January 23rd, 2012, 07:53 AM
I never knew a peacock twist hair style could damage your hair. I was going to do this as my summer up do.

jojo
January 23rd, 2012, 09:54 AM
I have hairs of all lengths due to baby hairs, really nobody's hair is all one length as each individual hair is going through its own individual growth cycle. Ive got a bunch of hair growing behind my left ear which is driving me bonkers, its new hair and causer just getting long enough to clip back.

Annoying but a good sign, your hair is growing, baby those hairs they are future long hairs!

I prefer a loose side braid to sleep in, i think id get irritated with a top bun!

QMacrocarpa
January 23rd, 2012, 10:12 AM
I always have short hairs waving around. Might be new growth, might be what I've seen called "transitional" hairs around the hairline, hairs that never grow very long.