PDA

View Full Version : Figure 8?

Catladyintown
April 14th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Does anyone know how to do a figure 8. I know we use to have picture on the old board on how to do it. But I can't seam to find them. Or know of a video link on how to do one. Hope I am making sense. Thank Catladyintown

Gumball
April 14th, 2008, 01:36 AM
For a simplified version of it and the way I learned it is you make a bee-butt bun and once you're done take the top loop and fold it upward (or downward) against the head and secure. If you made the bee-butt bun slightly off to one side you could fold the outermost loop in the opposite direction and voila, an infinity bun. I hope that helps! :) If it's still confusing I'm sure someone else will come along to help. Good luck!

ETA: Here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=WVt-GPIUkkk) is a link to a video that demonstrates it. I believe it's made by a member here.

Jeni
April 14th, 2008, 02:03 AM
For a simplified version of it and the way I learned it is you make a bee-butt bun and once you're done take the top loop and fold it upward (or downward) against the head and secure. If you made the bee-butt bun slightly off to one side you could fold the outermost loop in the opposite direction and voila, an infinity bun. I hope that helps! If it's still confusing I'm sure someone else will come along to help. Good luck!

Yep, that's the way I do mine. I still haven't mastered how to keep it up right yet, mine tends to start sliding to the side, no matter how much scalp hair I grab. It still looks pretty though, I just call it a drunken 8.

Jeni

meichigo
April 14th, 2008, 02:09 AM
I am also curious about this bun... I watched that tutorial several times and couldn't quite get the hang of it. Unfortunately I could not find a tutorial with directions in English, which (possibly) could have helped.

aisling
April 14th, 2008, 02:29 AM
http://www.longhairloom.com/stylingstationcentral.html

A bunch of instructions, including a fig8, even if I think the video is extremely clear.

meichigo
April 14th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Yeah well I'm sorry if I'm too stupid to comprehend such things. I was watching and it all made sense but somehow when I tried to do it it was not coming out correctly. Sometimes having more than one source of input (i.e. words and demonstration) can make all the difference. It's like if someone is trying to teach you how to sew or knit or draw a figure, you would get it much faster if they explained what they're doing as they did it. Seemingly that girl was talking us through it at the same time so obviously I'm not the only one who thinks so, but German is not one of the languages I've studied.

Edit: So, for some reason I am able to do the infinity bun and make it look nice but the upright figure eight won't come out well. I also don't have any good hair sticks; I'm using an actual chopstick... intended for eating...

Jeni
April 14th, 2008, 03:19 AM
meichigo- Ok I suck at trying to explain things, but I will attempt. For what it's worth the video made it seem weird to me for some reason, but when I tried it, it worked out surprisingly well. I cant watch/read/hear something and learn it, I have to do it. But I also find having it described to me by a few different people helpful.

Oh and I should note, I just learned this, and may do it differently then others, but hay it works for me.

Ok gather your hair into a pony tail (I did mine about ear height) twist your hair like your making a bun. Make a bee butt bun (not sure if you know what that is, when your making a bun, pile each loop on top of each other, if that makes any sense). OK so now I have a 2 layer bun. Grab the bun with you left hand to hold it, then with you right hand take the top bun (or coil) and flip it up (keep a hold of the ends, I tuck them under the top coil). Then with your left hand hold both coils flat against your head (it will hopefully be a figure 8 now). Then with your right hand take a stick and stick it into the top of the 8, grab some scalp hair and bring the stick back out at the bottom of the 8. Remove hand and look in the mirror, hopefully it will look like a figure 8. My hair is short, so I usually have some hair that sticks out, but I think it still looks cute.

The first time I did this it looked kind of odd, but I just kept trying and about the 3rd time it looked pretty good. I found it rather easy once I got the hang of it. I also think it looks better if the stick is inserted slightly diagonal, that way it isn't sticking straight out the top of your head....mom said I looked like I had an antenna.

Hope that helped....

Jeni

meichigo
April 14th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Well, I'm starting to get the hang of it... I think it's coming out badly for two reasons... One, my hair is at an awkward length so I can't tuck the ends in nicely, and two, my hair has too many layers so the lower loop of the bun is significantly thinner than the first one, which makes visually for a rather unbalanced figure eight. So perhaps this bun just isn't for me until my layers even out some more. Thank you, Jeni, for your help<3 I will keep practicing.

Catladyintown
April 14th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Thank you Gumball for the link. :-)

OhioLisa
April 14th, 2008, 04:11 AM
meichigo- Make a bee butt bun (not sure if you know what that is, when your making a bun, pile each loop on top of each other, if that makes any sense).

Actually, each coil of the bee butt should be going UNDER the one before it, not on top of. Going under the previous coils will help you with your ends sticking out problem too.

If you are having issues with the figure 8 not looking right, you can, as Gumball mentioned, flip the top coil either up or down. Some people prefer one over the other, so just play with it a bit.

meichigo
April 14th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Actually, each coil of the bee butt should be going UNDER the one before it, not on top of.

Ah, I knew what she meant :) My ends just refuse to be tucked because of my current length, I think.

Unfortunately I just put my hair in sock buns for the night, so I can't try flipping downward (I guess I didn't notice that note at first... I think I skimmed that post initially because I didn't know what a bee-butt-bun was), but I'll definitely try it tomorrow... I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for the clarification; sorry to Catlady for semi-hijacking her thread.

eadwine
April 14th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Do note that the video I made is a CHEATERS figure 8, the normal fig 8 isn't done like that ;) I just am an inch or two short of doing it proper without getting a facelift in the process :lol:

Jeni
April 15th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Actually, each coil of the bee butt should be going UNDER the one before it, not on top of. Going under the previous coils will help you with your ends sticking out problem too.

Dude I have been doing them wrong for years......it works for me though. That's probably why the video looked so odd to me. I just tried to go under, and it didn't work....I think my hands are just use to doing it my way....huh. Well piled one on top of the other and flipped up still gives me a figure 8, so I guess I'll keep doing it my way. Thanks for telling me! :)

Sorry meichigo! Glad I didn't mess you up.

Jeni

Sort of off topic- I've been wondering about this. If you have looooong hair, and do a figure 8, do you just make it bigger, or what? Can you make like a stack of 3 coils and flip the top 2 in different directions (one up, one kind of to the side) forming like, a triangle? I'm not sure if that made any sense to anyone.....In my head I think it would work, but that means nothing. Lots of stuff makes sense in my head......and ONLY in my head.

KaeleyAnne
April 15th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Sort of off topic- I've been wondering about this. If you have looooong hair, and do a figure 8, do you just make it bigger, or what? Can you make like a stack of 3 coils and flip the top 2 in different directions (one up, one kind of to the side) forming like, a triangle? I'm not sure if that made any sense to anyone.....In my head I think it would work, but that means nothing. Lots of stuff makes sense in my head......and ONLY in my head.

I can imagine that - it would look somewhat like a trinity knot. That could look really pretty.

OhioLisa
April 15th, 2008, 07:53 PM

You should check out Lady Godiva's tutorial for the infinity bun. Her hair is floor length and her technique works great. You could do the same thing with slight variation to make it an 8 rather than an infinity.

AmandaPanda
April 15th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I still haven't mastered how to keep it up right yet, mine tends to start sliding to the side, no matter how much scalp hair I grab. It still looks pretty though, I just call it a drunken 8.

Mine does the same thing! Now I know what to call it.

I think it has to do with the fact that the stick goes in vertical, and the scalp hair is going in the same direction - it doesn't grab. I don't know how everyone else does it

Infinity buns work perfectly for me

meichigo
April 15th, 2008, 10:05 PM
After putting my hair up and down and back up again for the past couple of days, I've decided that infinity buns work much better than regular figure 8s for me, but even they won't stay up for an extended period of time... I guess because my hair is so straight it just slips against itself and comes loose. But given my propensity for taking down and/or redoing my hair every hour, it's not a huge dilemma.

Jeni
April 16th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I can imagine that - it would look somewhat like a trinity knot. That could look really pretty

Yea that's the image in my head, glad I'm not crazy. I wish I knew someone with long hair, I have the longest hair of all my friends, which is kind of sad really. I'm not sure how you would stabilize each bun, maybe 2 hair sticks?

You should check out Lady Godiva's tutorial for the infinity bun. Her hair is floor length and her technique works great. You could do the same thing with slight variation to make it an 8 rather than an infinity

Thanks! Maybe one day I'll have enough hair to do some of the more exciting styles. I want to be able to do the Chinese bun (haven't actually tried it yet, I think it will be sad with my thin hair though). Or even better the braided Chinese bun!

Oh and I have to ask, it's bugging me, what does M.U.F.F stand for??

Mine does the same thing! Now I know what to call it.

I think it has to do with the fact that the stick goes in vertical, and the scalp hair is going in the same direction - it doesn't grab. I don't know how everyone else does it

Infinity buns work perfectly for me

Glad to help! :) My mother actually said something about it looking kind of drunk, and it stuck. I have started putting my "hair stick" (DP knitting needle) in slightly diagonally, that has helped, that and it doesn't look like I have an antennae coming out of the back of my head. This may change when I get my hair sticks (just ordered 4 from Nightshade!!), but right now a plain stick coming out the top of my head looks odd on me.

Haven't tried the infinity bun yet, that would probably stay better.

Jeni