PDA

View Full Version : Amish observations

MusicLady
August 4th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Last week, we spent a week with an Amish family, and I made some observations I thought were interesting.

According to my Amish friend, Esther, they do not cut their hair at all. Esther is about 35, and her hair is about classic length. They wash their hair once a week, and then put it up in braids or a hair ball (bun). Her daughter has hair about to her knees, and she says her mother's hair is shorter than hers (I didn't see it down) due to damage and breakage. I thought it interesting that as protected as their hair is, they still have that much damage and breakage that would keep it above classic length. Granted, they do not trim their ends to get rid of their damage, and that may escalate the damage.

Her other daughter showed me a really cool braiding style that uses no pins, and you can leave in all week! I'll put up a picture in my gallery, and work on getting some directions written.

Silver & Gold
August 4th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I'll bet that was an interesting week. I really enjoy the opportunity to spend time and learn about people with different cultural experiences.

I can't wait to see the information about the braid you describe. I'm intrigued.

Fenix
August 4th, 2009, 02:58 PM
It sounds really interesting.
There is an other motivation to spend time on S&D

jera
August 4th, 2009, 03:05 PM
That sounds so interesting, but I want to know why the mother's hair is significantly shorter than her daughter's?? What kind of damage can an Amish woman's hair sustain in her daily life to cause that much breakage?? :confused: Hmmmnn????

Of course they don't believe in vanity, so they probably don't give their hair a fraction of the attention we do.

MusicLady
August 4th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I've posted the picture here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1084&pictureid=46818

Quick description:

Each side is divided into 3 vertical sections. The front section is braided all the way down. When completed, the second section is braided together with the first. When completed, the third section is braided together with the first 2 sections. When both sides are done you will have 2 braids (she tied them with a long piece of yarn). These are crossed and then brought up to be threaded through a loop created where the first and sections are braided together and pull them up tight. They are crossed again, and threaded through the same loop (outside to inside). When the ends are short enough, the yarn is tied together in a bow, and the braid ends can be tucked in. I've had this in 5 days now without touching it, and it's just a little fuzzy! Again, when I can get a sample head, I will try to get some better pictures of it being done. Not sure yet if I can do this to myself, but I think I can.

MusicLady
August 4th, 2009, 03:18 PM
That sounds so interesting, but I want to know why the mother's hair is significantly shorter than her daughter's?? What kind of damage can an Amish woman's hair sustain in her daily life to cause that much breakage?? :confused: Hmmmnn????

Of course they don't believe in vanity, so they probably don't give their hair a fraction of the attention we do.

I should have been paying more attention when they were washing - I didn't notice if they used conditioner. They did have a shampoo in the bathroom that was shampoo and conditioner together. But I don't think they spend any thought to the health of their hair.

Darkhorse1
August 4th, 2009, 03:18 PM
*shakes head* I think I'm more of a visual learner than written. You lost me there :)

It's gorgeous though! :)

HotRag
August 4th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Nice :) Cool way to wrap.

Darkhorse1
August 4th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Can someone explain this to me with photos or a paint program. My brain is just not working today :)

HotRag
August 4th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Is the front sectinon smaller than the other two (and the back thicker)?

Or does the middle and last braid get uneven in it's sections?

Darkhorse1
August 4th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I'm still trying to figure out the sections :D
To me, it looks like 2 braids folded into each other :)

Amara
August 4th, 2009, 03:37 PM
How to cool to spend a week with a different culture!

talervo
August 4th, 2009, 03:45 PM
That would be such a life changing experience. To go from American overabundance to a life of basics would be very enlightening. That is so exciting!

LeaM07
August 4th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Of course they don't believe in vanity, so they probably don't give their hair a fraction of the attention we do.Could be pregnancy or other health factors... and even if you only wash your hair once a week, if you take it down and rip a brush through it (before or after you wash) you could do plenty of damage, especially if you're a wavy/curly or are prone to tangles or don't use conditioner.

Roseate
August 4th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Could be pregnancy or other health factors... and even if you only wash your hair once a week, if you take it down and rip a brush through it (before or after you wash) you could do plenty of damage, especially if you're a wavy/curly or are prone to tangles or don't use conditioner.

Agreed; it could even be damage from whatever she used to tie off braids. Some hair is just super fragile; I know we have members who were seeing false terminal lengths of BSL or less, so false terminal at classic is not too shocking. Or it could even be real terminal; not everyone has the genes to be a superlonghair.

That sounds like a very cool experience, and I will definitely have to try that style when I get some more length!

Kat
August 4th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I can see it from the tangling...the caption on your picture said "it will last all week"--does that mean they style their hair once and don't take it down all week? My hair would be a MESS of tangles by that time! And it would take a long time to detangle properly (at least an hour or two)...so assuming they don't take the time to do that but just try to rip them out quickly, I understand why their hair might get damaged.

BlndeInDisguise
August 4th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I'm not Amish, but very similar as far as beliefs, dress, hair, etc. Though we don't cut our hair (I do trim mine once in a while, as do some of the other girls), a lot of the girls don't have very long hair, because of damage. Before I started learning about good hair care, I did get to knee length hair, but the ends were very ragged and yucky, simply from ripping a brush through it, washing my whole length with sls shampoos, and coney conditioners, and rough towel drying.

Putting your hair up the same way every day also takes a toll on it, but there really isn't much else I can do, and still be able to fit it all into my covering.

Genetics, of course, plays a big part in it as well. Some people have stronger hair that can put up with rough treatment, and some don't have the genes for super long hair. :)

SimplyLonghair
August 4th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I would love to spend a week with the Amish.
The braids look lovely!
Sounds like you had a wonderful time of fellowship and learning.

Darkhorse1
August 4th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Could it also be that the Amish work outdoors and harvest many crops in sunlight etc. So, I would venture to guess ends get dried out, even in braids.

It's wonderful you had that experience though!

Now, if I can just figure out that style!! :)

Themyst
August 4th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Amazingly, I understood the braiding of three braids on each side so that you'd wind up with two when you were done. After that, I became lost. :( Maybe I'll just try what I know there and see if I can figure out the rest.

Jezzie
August 4th, 2009, 07:37 PM
That would have been so interesting! I think of the Amish culture as being really intriguing and love reading about it, and other cultures for that matter.

I wish I could see the picture but alas I think I am still too much of a newbie hehe. I will have to pop back when I am no longer new.

Nyghtingale
August 4th, 2009, 07:53 PM
What an amazing adventure.

freznow
August 4th, 2009, 07:58 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k132/freznow/untitled.jpg

Here's what I got, as far as visual representations go. (The blind leading the blind, lol) Each of the two braids (shown down on the left) are made up of several parts: A small initial braid that makes the top line, which is then braided with another section to make the middle line (forming a loop next to your scalp) which is then braided with another section creating the bottom loop. Then, the left braid goes up through the upper right loop and the right braid goes through the upper left loop. You continue putting the braids through the loops until you run out of braid. Then you tie the ends together with ribbon or something.

Carolyn
August 4th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Could we possibly hear more about your time with the Amish? I'd love to hear about the meals they prepared? Any tapioca puddings? What were the homes like? What surprised you the most?

Darkhorse1
August 4th, 2009, 09:50 PM
freznow--thanks for that help! I think I can figure it out from your drawing, though I'm still a bit confused about how many braids you will have--it looks like six sections total. (sorry, but I'm dying to try this style for work tomorrow :) )

I'd LOVE to hear of your experience with the Amish as well!

Smokering
August 4th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I'm confused... I thought the Amish were traditionally anti-braids? Maybe that's a generalisation gleaned from reading Beverly Lewis at a young age (I know, I know), but I'd have thought particularly a fancy, complicated braid like that wouldn't be considered Plain. Were they of a more liberal/unusual ordnung, or am I just getting my facts wrong?

shadowclaw
August 4th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I've always been intrigued by the Amish, escpecially since I saw the movie "For Richer or Poorer" with Tim Allen and Kirstie Alley. I acutally don't live all that far from Amish county, perhaps a three hour drive. We went on several field trips there during elementary school. When I was a senior in high school, the language department took the Russian exchange students on a trip down there (I went as well, since I was studying Russian and was invited). We stopped at a wonderful roadside stand selling produce and baked goods, and it was basically a self-service honesty stand, where you took your item, put your money in the box, and wrote down what you took.

I would love to spend some time with an Amish family and learn more about their culture and way of life firsthand. I've read some good articles and books about them, but nothing would compare to experiencing it first hand. I would also like to spend time with modern Native Americans and see what their life is like in the modern world.

Darkhorse1
August 4th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Well, I figured it out. And, it DOES hold without anything--even the yarn ties. I'm quite impressed and I did this quickly. Photos I took are lousy, but will upload them tomorrow.

busnutmedic
August 5th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Could it also be that the Amish work outdoors and harvest many crops in sunlight etc. So, I would venture to guess ends get dried out, even in braids.

Don't Amish generally wear bonnets? I'm no Amish expert but the family I stayed with wore bonnets that covered all of the hair. At the least, I would expect them to have some type of hair covering on.

I'm confused... I thought the Amish were traditionally anti-braids? Maybe that's a generalisation gleaned from reading Beverly Lewis at a young age (I know, I know), but I'd have thought particularly a fancy, complicated braid like that wouldn't be considered Plain. Were they of a more liberal/unusual ordnung, or am I just getting my facts wrong?

Again, I don't know much about people who are Amish, but I do know that people who *do* know more about them than I do say that Beverly Lewis's books are *not* a good source of accurate information about them.

Feenzauber
August 5th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Very interesting!
I wasn't aware of trims having such greate effect on gaining length. *thinks*

ilovelonghair
August 5th, 2009, 05:15 AM
I'm not Amish, but very similar as far as beliefs, dress, hair, etc. Though we don't cut our hair (I do trim mine once in a while, as do some of the other girls), a lot of the girls don't have very long hair, because of damage. Before I started learning about good hair care, I did get to knee length hair, but the ends were very ragged and yucky, simply from ripping a brush through it, washing my whole length with sls shampoos, and coney conditioners, and rough towel drying.

Putting your hair up the same way every day also takes a toll on it, but there really isn't much else I can do, and still be able to fit it all into my covering.

Genetics, of course, plays a big part in it as well. Some people have stronger hair that can put up with rough treatment, and some don't have the genes for super long hair. :)

Totally off-topic: my sister-in-law always claims the Amish are decendants from The Netherlands originally, is that true?

On topic: I have tried similar hairstyles, they keep well, but it gets too itchy for me after a while.

Irishred
August 5th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Blndindisquise, are you Mennonite?

I grew up knowing several amish and a couple mennonite. My aunt had an amish housekeeper/child care giver that I stayed with several summers.

I have to take my son to school, but I will comeback and post more about the little I know.....MusicLady has it first hand and I envy her that experience.

Elettaria
August 5th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I can't see any particular reason why Amish communities would be using products out of the mainstream, and better hair care will only occur if there is a tradition of it or someone is teaching it. Doing your own baking is a far cry from making your own shampoo, after all. Those of us on this board are benefiting from little-known knowledge and unusual products which are hard to find, so we probably have a much higher standard of hair care than most Western communities.

BlndeInDisguise
August 5th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Totally off-topic: my sister-in-law always claims the Amish are decendants from The Netherlands originally, is that true?

Church history is not something I'm well versed in. :o I'd have to ask my dad for sure, but I think that they did come from The Netherlands. :)

Blndindisquise, are you Mennonite?

Not Mennonite either. We're called Old Brethren. We broke off the German Baptists a long time ago. :)

Tabitha
August 5th, 2009, 05:59 AM
I found some interesting information about Amish communities when I was looking for inspiration on a quilting project (the quilts they make are nothing short of stunning - more ornate ones for sale than for personal use) I hope it's reasonably accurate:

Living Plain (http://www.amishquilter.com/living-plain-t-4.html)
Amish Beliefs (http://www.amishquilter.com/amish-beliefs-t-1.html)

Irishred
August 5th, 2009, 06:05 AM
OK, this has spiked an interest of sorts but I don't want to take over MusicLady's thread....
off to blog instead.

karli
August 5th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I would love to be able to do the braid! In spite of the drawing, I don`t get it. If someone could explain some more, I would be grateful.

Elettaria
August 5th, 2009, 06:39 AM
From the website: Amish quilting to the Amish community is a profitable business for most. Are they using a different internal financial system to that of the outside world? Because $700 odd for a quilt that would take months to make is more like slave labour. Sadly, this is what the quilting market is like in general, I'm not accusing the Amish of actual slave labour, but I just can't understand how they can call it profitable.

To give an example, this quilt (http://elettariaquilts.livejournal.com/1958.html#cutid6) (it should be the last shown) took me the equivalent in hours of 8 days working 8 hours a day (I actually made it in about 18 days, with a few days off in the middle), all done by hand. If we use a rate of £10 per hour ($17), which is on the low side considering the level of skill involved, I'd charge about £400 for that ($679). The quilt is about 36" at its widest and has been only lightly quilted, so we're talking about a little wallhanging rather than a great big bed quilt. I'd probably be offered £50 were I to sell it. To give another example, using a more traditional pattern, the Carpenter's Square in that set is made of 16 quilt blocks, and each block took me 6 hours to make. It would probably have been 5 with a more experienced quilter, as this was my first quilt, but it was still pretty damn slow, and that's just making the individual blocks, there's a lot more work after that. Hand quilting simply isn't profitable, and machine quilting rarely is. If you can get to the point where your work is considered art and sells for high prices, then it's profitable, but only a small handful of quilters get that far, and I'm talking about people like Ruth McDowell rather than the traditional quilts made by the Amish.

Alia
August 5th, 2009, 07:26 AM
As far as I know, the Amish are of German descent...when asked their nationality, they answered, "Deutsch", which means German but was taken for Dutch. Apparently, the region of Germany they're from has a dialect that is very similar to that used by the Amish. :)

BlndeInDisguise
August 5th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I found some interesting information about Amish communities when I was looking for inspiration on a quilting project (the quilts they make are nothing short of stunning - more ornate ones for sale than for personal use) I hope it's reasonably accurate:

Living Plain (http://www.amishquilter.com/living-plain-t-4.html)
Amish Beliefs (http://www.amishquilter.com/amish-beliefs-t-1.html)

I didn't read all the articles, but the two that I did read are fairly accurate, I would say. That coming from the few Amish communities that I know the best. I'm sure it would be extremely hard to write any sort of article about Amish, considering the extreme variety between each community.

This part had me laughing out loud: :D

We often see Amish men and boys plowing the fields with horse drawn tractors...

As far as I know, the Amish are of German descent...when asked their nationality, they answered, "Deutsch", which means German but was taken for Dutch. Apparently, the region of Germany they're from has a dialect that is very similar to that used by the Amish. :)

I asked my dad who knows WAY more about Plain church history than I do. He said that they do come from Germany, but there may have been some migration to The Netherlands before coming to America. :)

SHELIAANN1969
August 5th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I live in WV and am a mile from Ohio, the Amish folks used to hang out at the courthouse and sell bread/pies/etc, they don't do that anymore and I miss that.

They also used to come round the neighborhood selling baked goods, I used to think they cooked on an open fire or in an outdoor wood stove, I recently asked one lady how they cooked and she looked puzzled, when I elaborated she said *we use natural gas* ....I felt like a complete idiot, to say the least, but she was very diplomatic and didn't laugh at me. :D

I love love love the Amish, I wish I were Amish and did not live in such an aggressive callous world sometimes. What a peaceful existence and harmonious atmosphere they have around them, wherever they go. I have never met a violent or aggressive or rude Amish man/woman/child.....ever. :)

marikamt
August 5th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I love love love the Amish, I wish I were Amish and did not live in such an aggressive callous world sometimes. What a peaceful existence and harmonious atmosphere they have around them, wherever they go. I have never met a violent or aggressive or rude Amish man/woman/child.....ever. :)

Sheliann1969- I totally get what you are saying. I have often felt that way. What a lovely, peaceful life!

Tabitha
August 5th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I agree too Shelia, this way of life has a strange fascination for me. ALthough it sounds like hard work, and could be stifling especially for a woman at times.

Darkhorse1
August 5th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Yes, they wear bonnets, but sun will penetrate those--I doubt they are UV protected ;)

I just finished an excellent book by Jody picoults called "Plain Truth', which takes place in the Amish community. Very interesting storyline--I loved this book. I highly recommend it. :)

shadowclaw
August 5th, 2009, 09:20 AM

My fiance just finished reading a book called Amish Roots by John Hostetler from the library. It's a collection of research done by the author and letters and journal entries by the Amish. The author was also apparently raised in the Amish community. My fiance mentioned that according to the book, the Amish came from Switzerland (another German-speaking country), but that could have been one specific group of Amish. Others could have well come from Germany or Austria.

Of course, the German-speaking countries were arranged nothing like they are today. It would make sense that the Amish would say they are Deutsch, because Germany as a nation did not exist when they immigrated to the USA. The German lands were only territories, like Bavaria, Saxony, Prussia, and Brandenburg. Here is a website (http://www.pantel-web.de/bw_mirror/history/bw316_e.htm) with a map of the German Empire before 1800. In 1871, it's a bit more unified, but it still doesn't look like modern Europe - map (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~fkruse/German%20Empire%201871%20K.jpg).

An intersting little fact to note, some of my ancestors were German. One family name was Bonitz. They came from the Alsace-Lorraine region, and left Europe from Straßburg (Strasbourg in French). This region (and city) is now part of France, so if someone was not familar with the history of Strasbourg and simply asked where the city was located, they might think my family was of French descent.

You sound so much like my fiance! He absolutely adores the Amish way of life and sometimes talks about how if he hadn't met me, he might have tried to join the Amish, which can apparently be done with a lot of work.

Darscilla
August 5th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Could be pregnancy or other health factors... and even if you only wash your hair once a week, if you take it down and rip a brush through it (before or after you wash) you could do plenty of damage, especially if you're a wavy/curly or are prone to tangles or don't use conditioner.

I'd be interested to know what kinds of brushes and combs they were using?

Atlantic
August 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM
A lot of the original Amish were Swiss German - the founder, Jakob Ammann, was Swiss.

I can certainly believe that Amish women could have not-so-long hair due to a lot of breakage and damage, because of my own experience of years of letting hair grow without trims or any special treatment (until I discovered LHC!), and I put it up every day for years on end too. It never went past waist.

Zéphine
August 5th, 2009, 01:51 PM
That sounds like an amazing experience, MusicLady! I love the hairstyle.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3653&pictureid=46866
Here's my first stab at it (with horrible lighting). I made a mistake and wove the ends through the loop between the second and third braids the second time, but I kind of like it. The ends are banded together and tucked under the braided mass. It's a very comfortable style and holds well with just one elastic.

MusicLady
August 5th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Is the front sectinon smaller than the other two (and the back thicker)?

Or does the middle and last braid get uneven in it's sections?

Sorry I'm so slow to answer questions - I'm at a campground and have a TERRIBLE signal. I'm going to answer as much as I can before I lose it again!

The 3 vertical sections are all pretty much equal sizes.

MusicLady
August 5th, 2009, 05:33 PM

True. I did see one of the girls with a hairbrush, and I believe she was using it on her wet hair. It looked like it had the possibility of being wavy/curly if she was not brushing it. And I didn't see any bottles of just conditioner, but they could have brought it in their luggage (although 6 of them brought less luggage than I did)

MusicLady
August 5th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I can see it from the tangling...the caption on your picture said "it will last all week"--does that mean they style their hair once and don't take it down all week? My hair would be a MESS of tangles by that time! And it would take a long time to detangle properly (at least an hour or two)...so assuming they don't take the time to do that but just try to rip them out quickly, I understand why their hair might get damaged.

Yes. They do their hair once a week, unless for some reason it gets bad during the week and they have to re-do it. I took mine out this morning. I had a little bit of tangling at the ends, but not much more than I usually have. The braids seemed to tame it nicely.

MusicLady
August 5th, 2009, 05:41 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k132/freznow/untitled.jpg

Here's what I got, as far as visual representations go. (The blind leading the blind, lol) Each of the two braids (shown down on the left) are made up of several parts: A small initial braid that makes the top line, which is then braided with another section to make the middle line (forming a loop next to your scalp) which is then braided with another section creating the bottom loop. Then, the left braid goes up through the upper right loop and the right braid goes through the upper left loop. You continue putting the braids through the loops until you run out of braid. Then you tie the ends together with ribbon or something.

Exactly! Thank you for posting this up! I'm looking for a long hair around here I can practice on and take some pictures to post. My DH took some while mine was being done, but she did it so quickly he had a hard time getting pictures that will be helpful. A couple of them might do, though. I'm not where I can upload pictures right now, though.

MusicLady
August 5th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Could we possibly hear more about your time with the Amish? I'd love to hear about the meals they prepared? Any tapioca puddings? What were the homes like? What surprised you the most?

Wow! Where to start? I'll try to relate some of the interesting things for the family I stayed with. One of the things I learned, is that every area is different, and certain things are established by the group that initially settled in the area. In Wisconsin, everyone had blue curtains. But Esther said they were not allowed in her area - only green or white pull down shades. So what I experienced there may be totally different in another area. I'm not sure, but I think they are Old Order Amish, as they do not like pictures taken (although they have had some given to them that they really cherish. They are not allowed to ASK for pictures).

Anyway, I'm NOT a morning person. However, being on a farm, most everyone was up and moving around by 6 a.m. Every meal is a feast!

At breakfast, everyone kneels in front of their chair, and the father prays in German. Then everyone sits and has silent prayer. Napkins are never used - I believe it's a matter of expense. All meals are eaten in wide-shallow bowls. At the end of each course, spoons are used to scrape out every drop before the next course. A course is not started until everyone has finished. Silent prayer also ends the meal. Lunch and dinner are also started and finished with silent prayer.

Food! Well, everything was pretty much homemade except the boxed cereal they had as their last course at breakfast (but with fresh milk and fruit). We had eggs, pancakes, venison or pork sausage, pumpkin cake, bread!, cole slaw, haystack (lots of stuff piled on top of each other, such as lettuce, tomatoes, meat, sauce, etc.), egg noodles cooked in chicken broth, rasperry pie, rasperry tapioca, sloppy joes, cinnamon rolls... OK. My brain is exploding trying to remember it all!

My DH helped to feed and milk cows, stack oats after they were cut, helped at a sawmill, and they went fishing one day.

The home we stayed in was quite large, with 9 bedrooms. The family that owns the farm has 14 children, 6 of them still at home. It's pretty advanced. They have running COLD water in the sink and tub. Hot water is wood heated. Their outhouse is a 2 holer, and thankfully attached to the house.

Things that surprised me... Hmmm. Well, Amish children always struck me as being very shy and reserved. I found them delightful! They are very well behaved, but when the opportunity for fun comes along, they enjoy every bit of it! We had an evening where there were at least 50 people in the house. My DH likes to tell jokes and do gospel illusions. We spent over 2 hours playing games, doing illusions, and playing tricks on each other. He was their favorite target, probably because he takes it so well. They LOVE a good joke.

The girls were pretty excited the first time they saw me, because I have a "hair ball" (bun). They see so few with long hair these days! After the daughter did my hair, one of them put their cap on me, and they had a great laugh at that.

Well, I'm going to post this huge thing before I lose my signal! If I think of more later, I'll post it up.

MusicLady
August 5th, 2009, 06:05 PM

The group I was with had nothing against braids. They are covered all the time with their cap anyway. Esther always had a "hair ball". I think it is whatever is most comfortable for them.

MusicLady
August 5th, 2009, 06:12 PM

I don't know for sure, but they speak German (or Pennsylvania Dutch) in the home. One of the interesting things I forgot to post earlier, children learn German in the home, and are not taught English until they start school.

MusicLady
August 5th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I'd be interested to know what kinds of brushes and combs they were using?

The only brush I saw was just a cheap bristle brush. But they were quite impressed with my wide-toothed Mason Pearson comb. I shared with them about combs that have the ridge damaging their hair, and they really appreciated the information. We're actually having dinner with them tomorrow night (I'm giving their daughter tatting lessons, and she's going to re-braid my hair for me). Maybe I'll bring up conditioner with them if we have a chance.

BlueWaterRed
August 5th, 2009, 07:29 PM
What an interesting story and thread to read. Thanks for telling us about your week. My question is whether they use commercial shampoo or make their own.

MusicLady
August 5th, 2009, 08:52 PM
What an interesting story and thread to read. Thanks for telling us about your week. My question is whether they use commercial shampoo or make their own.

They use commercial shampoo. However, they do make their own lye soap for laundry. They use commercial laundry soap, but add the lye soap on the last batches when they wash their barn clothes. That was interesting too. They use they same water for all the clothing. They have a machine gas powerd by a gas engine. The clothes are then hand rinsed, and some are put through a ringer before hanging out. The water is like mud by that last batch!!!!

MusicLady
August 5th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I was able to upload a picture. Here is what it looks like on the side before the braids are woven into the loops.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/MusicLady/sideview.jpg

andrea1982
August 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM
:)Thanks for sharing your experience! I found it really enjoyed reading it

shadowclaw
August 5th, 2009, 09:17 PM
The fact that their meals are so big is quite surprising! The haystack sounds like fun to eat, too!

I wish everyone's children could be more like the Amish. I work in a restaurant, and more often than not, the children who come in are not very well behaved at all. Think lots of noise and plates being tossed about. Of course, there are a few darlings who are sweetest kids I've ever met. There is a very nice autistic boy who brings us drawings everytime he comes in. But yeah, there seem to be quite a few loud and annoying children running around these days who don't understand good manners or obedience.

frodolaughs
August 5th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I just tried this. What I ended up with is a variation, but it feels extremely stable. I couldn't keep track of the 3 sections on each side, so on each side I started a braid with what would have been the 1st section, and after 1-2" I continued as a french braid. I braided ribbons in to tie off the ends, then followed the weaving instructions. I would have used the ends of the ribbons to tie it all off at the end, but my ends ended up tucking in somewhere and just disappearing. I put a couple pictures on my profile.

Darkhorse1
August 5th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I modified this hair style to just use 2 braids, and it's AWESOME! For me, it works better to tuck my length into the folds. It's comfy, but I would definetly use ribbon to tie it off next time. I just tucked the braids in and they did start to slip, but the hold is AMAZING!

ilovelonghair
August 5th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I don't know for sure, but they speak German (or Pennsylvania Dutch) in the home.

Pennsylvania Dutch? Is that very different from regular Dutch? Just curious, because I'm Dutch.

Another thing I heard and like to know if it's true or not is the following:
a friend told me that the Amish let their children when their reach 16 or something live outside the community so they can see what the world outside is and after they can decide for themselves if they want to come back and live the Amish lifestyle or remain in regular society.

teela1978
August 6th, 2009, 12:34 AM
This is surprisingly comfortable. I only did 2 braid sections, which was rather easy to do, my first braid section ended up being the right thickness to continue on as 1/3 of my 2nd braid. It's a little messy because I didn't comb or anything, but it's holding great with one hairtie :) I'd put up a picture but photobucket appears to be having issues!

Pennsylvania Dutch? Is that very different from regular Dutch? Just curious, because I'm Dutch.
To my understanding, they were originally the Pennsylvania Deutsch (German word for German) but changed it during WWII as Germany started to have some bad associations... my grandfather actually did the same thing, we just recently discovered that his heritage is actually German, not Dutch like my mom and her sisters were always told.

ETA:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=889&pictureid=46910

karli
August 6th, 2009, 05:17 AM
This is surprisingly comfortable. I only did 2 braid sections, which was rather easy to do, my first braid section ended up being the right thickness to continue on as 1/3 of my 2nd braid. It's a little messy because I didn't comb or anything, but it's holding great with one hairtie :) I'd put up a picture but photobucket appears to be having issues!

To my understanding, they were originally the Pennsylvania Deutsch (German word for German) but changed it during WWII as Germany started to have some bad associations... my grandfather actually did the same thing, we just recently discovered that his heritage is actually German, not Dutch like my mom and her sisters were always told.

ETA:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=889&pictureid=46910

Yours look good! I think I have finally understood, but it looks far from yours...

Kat
August 6th, 2009, 05:38 AM
So it looks like the braids with the sections start out roughly like French braids?

I'm not sure how that fits under a cap/covering, though. Wouldn't it have to be much higher on the head to fit? At least, it would have to be for all of the caps I've seen.

Stephichan
August 6th, 2009, 06:02 AM

a friend told me that the Amish let their children when their reach 16 or something live outside the community so they can see what the world outside is and after they can decide for themselves if they want to come back and live the Amish lifestyle or remain in regular society.

I've heard that too. I once read an article in a magazine about a girl (somewhere around 16-18) who was, at the time, during the 'live outside the community' phase. I believe at the end of the article she said that while her experience had been very exciting and enjoyable she was going to choose to stay Amish. I don't know if this is true, but there was something about how if you leave the Amish community you have very limited contact with you family afterwards. I really hope that part wasn't accurate/true because I imagine that would be quite hard on them.

Tabitha
August 6th, 2009, 06:56 AM

I've heard that too. I once read an article in a magazine about a girl (somewhere around 16-18) who was, at the time, during the 'live outside the community' phase. I believe at the end of the article she said that while her experience had been very exciting and enjoyable she was going to choose to stay Amish. I don't know if this is true, but there was something about how if you leave the Amish community you have very limited contact with you family afterwards.

This is called "Rumspringa" (http://www.amishquilter.com/rumspringa-young-amish-quilter-a-33.html) (info from the Amish quilting site so it's talking about girls rather than boys).

Elbereth
August 6th, 2009, 07:05 AM
The pictures look so nice. This style looks so intricate and balanced. :inlove:

However, my attempt failed miserably. I think my hair is just too slippery for me to make this style for myself. Maybe I'll give it another try later, but in general, my hair just isn't the best braiding material...

Kat: To me, it looks like this style should fit under most bonnet style coverings. If one has to fit very long hair under a covering, the bun must be made as flat as possible. The multiple braids make the hair more compact, and the braids are then spread around the back of the head.

BlndeInDisguise
August 6th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I must comment on this part of the article. Disagree, disagree, disagree. In no way shape or form do you need to go experience "the outside world" before deciding if you want to stay in that church or not. No Amish youth is so sheltered that they don't know what goes on in the outside world.

This seems like an unusual custom for the religiously and socially strict Amish, but it is essential to keeping the Amish community as tight knit as it has been for hundreds of years and to uphold the strong religious beliefs of the Amish church.

melikai
August 6th, 2009, 07:14 AM
An intersting little fact to note, some of my ancestors were German. One family name was Bonitz. They came from the Alsace-Lorraine region, and left Europe from Straßburg (Strasbourg in French). This region (and city) is now part of France, so if someone was not familar with the history of Strasbourg and simply asked where the city was located, they might think my family was of French descent.

OT but my maternal grandmother's side was also from this area, or at least from an area that was between/both Germany and France at various times in history. Neat!

Tabitha
August 6th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I must comment on this part of the article. Disagree, disagree, disagree. In no way shape or form do you need to go experience "the outside world" before deciding if you want to stay in that church or not. No Amish youth is so sheltered that they don't know what goes on in the outside world.

I'm really not trying to argue here! :flower: but I interpreted what the article said slightly differently.

I thought the article was saying that this is an opportunity that is offered IF the Amish teen wants to take it up. I thought the article used the word "essential" to mean not that Rumspringa is obligatory, but that this opportunity to experience the outside world more fully, meaning the young person is freely choosing the Amish way of life (in a similar way that adult baptism rather than infant baptism means the choice is a conscious one), plays a very important part in maintaining the cohesiveness of these communities. My bolding in the quoted passage below:

A bit further on the article says:

Before a young Amish quilter chooses to become baptized, she may spend several months or several years experiencing life outside the Amish community during her rumspringa. While this running around time is not necessarily a required activity for a set period of time, it is understood that before the Amish quilter decides to become baptized, she may want to experience some of what the outside world has to offer.

Chrissy
August 6th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I found the article very interesting. In fact I bookmarked it. I want to read more. Oh on the regular topic the hairstyle is very pretty.

BlndeInDisguise
August 6th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I'm really not trying to argue here! :flower: but I interpreted what the article said slightly differently.

I thought the article was saying that this is an opportunity that is offered IF the Amish teen wants to take it up. I thought the article used the word "essential" to mean not that Rumspringa is obligatory, but that this opportunity to experience the outside world more fully, meaning the young person is freely choosing the Amish way of life (in a similar way that adult baptism rather than infant baptism means the choice is a conscious one), plays a very important part in maintaining the cohesiveness of these communities. My bolding in the quoted passage below:

A bit further on the article says:

Oh, sorry for the confusion. :o That's not what I was saying. I was saying that it's not at all essential for Amish youth to go out and experience the outside world in order for the Amish to have a tight knit community.

In fact, in my limited experience of seeing Amish churches, it seems to me that the ones where the majority of the youth don't practice rumspringa, the church tends to be more conservative with less "backsliding". :)

Darkhorse1
August 6th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I love this hairstyle! Wish my camera would have let me take a photo of it :(

I like the 2 braids on either side better--it's just easier to keep it lower to wear a hat, and less confusing. I think the 3 braids work to keep it higher up on the head.

Carolyn
August 6th, 2009, 09:37 AM
My fiance just finished reading a book called Amish Roots by John Hostetler from the library. It's a collection of research done by the author and letters and journal entries by the Amish. The author was also apparently raised in the Amish community. My fiance mentioned that according to the book, the Amish came from Switzerland (another German-speaking country), but that could have been one specific group of Amish. Others could have well come from Germany or Austria.

One side of my dad's family came from Alsace-Lorraine too. The family name was Hoestettler. There are quite a few versions and spellings of that name. They are Old Order Amish about 3 generations before me. My great grandmother was Mennonite. She died before I was born. How I would have loved to have known her. I have met some very elderly Mennonite cousins. (their dad and my great grandmother were brother and sister). Those ladies wore the little organdy bun covers. I never talked hair with them but we did talk quilting. They were lovely gracious ladies. That branch of the family settled in Kalona, Iowa. I wish I knew more about them.

DarkChocolate
August 6th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I would love to learn the braiding technique:)

How did you get this opportunity to stay with an Amish family?

That is really cool to not cut the hair:) I would bet that most of them have fairytale ends.

eresh
August 6th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I would love to stay at an Amish family for a week!
(if only I had the money to visit the usa)
Aren't there holiday arrangements for that nowadays?

Some time back there was a tv show "Amish in the city (http://www.newline.com/amishinthecity/)".
Anyone seen it?
I thougth it was very interesting to see how the city people reacted about when they were going to experience some Amish life.
(I thought a lot of those city people were very shallow and selfcentered, they must have been cast especially on it...)
Can't remember if they showed any haircare though.(it was before I joined here I guess)

eadwine
August 6th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Some time back there was a tv show "Amish in the city (http://www.newline.com/amishinthecity/)".
Anyone seen it?
I thougth it was very interesting to see how the city people reacted about when they were going to experience some Amish life.
(I thought a lot of those were very shallow and selfcentered, they must have been cast especially on it...)

Yep, I saw it. Quite a while ago that was, but very interesting indeed!

ammorgan
August 6th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I'm trying to remember what all was written in this thread. And all this stuff is just my guesses or small knowledge of the Amish.

Pennsylvania Dutch I believe is a variation of German. Girls tend to wear their hair down in braids, it goes up into a cap when they are married. Men shave their beards until they are married and then they don't shave anymore.

Rumspringa is when they can experience the outside world, I also believe its the time where they "date" other Amish and find a partner before they commit to the church.

The quilting I believe they set up a frame and probably 6+ women sit around the frame all working on a section of the quilt to quilt it.

eresh
August 6th, 2009, 04:48 PM
That sounds like an amazing experience, MusicLady! I love the hairstyle.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3653&pictureid=46866
Here's my first stab at it (with horrible lighting). I made a mistake and wove the ends through the loop between the second and third braids the second time, but I kind of like it. The ends are banded together and tucked under the braided mass. It's a very comfortable style and holds well with just one elastic.

It looks really nice and very practical at the same time...
This could be perfect for me to wear to work at the shelter...
Now to figure out HOW exactly to do it ;)
Anyone feel the urge to make a photo/videotutorial?

Darkhorse1
August 6th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Ok, here's my explanation in how to do this.

Divide hair into two sections, as if you are making two braids.

From here, you will divide the sections into 3. Braid the first section at the top (secure if you need). Start a second braid with the second section and braid in the braid you just did. Secure if you need. Third section, same. Secure. Do on the other side. Then, take the length and pull it into the opposite side 'hole' that the joining braids make. Pull them tight, and loop as required. Tie off with ribbon or yarn.

I've found you can do this with 2 braid section after diving the hair, instead of three.

I'll see if I can do this with a paint demonstration.

Darkhorse1
August 6th, 2009, 08:04 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3394&pictureid=46972

I drew a paint by directions ;)

However, reading the instructions aren't so clear.

Basically, you seperate hair into 2 sections as if you are making twin dutch braids.

Section hair off as show in diagram 2 (this is showing with just using 2 braids, not three). Braid top section as shown in blue, then braid into the second section after 1st braid is complete, into bottom braid. Secure. There will be a gap created from joining braid 1 into braid 2. Do the same on other side.

Take tail from one braid, as I've show as number 3, and loop into section marked 2. Do the same for section 4 into spot 1. Pull tight. Then, weave the tails across into the opposite pockets until your tails just show. Make sure it's TIGHT. Tie off with ribbon.

Hope that helps!

MusicLady
August 6th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I would love to learn the braiding technique:)

How did you get this opportunity to stay with an Amish family?

That is really cool to not cut the hair:) I would bet that most of them have fairytale ends.

We have known the family for a number of years. When Esther's parents lived in Michigan, she had a small store that we visited when we were in the area. My DH drove them a few places around the area. They moved to Wisconsin a couple years ago, but we've kept in touch with the family. Esther had mentioned she would like to go to visit her family in Wisconsin, and we were able to borrow a van and carve out a week to take them over.

There are many people who make a 'career' of driving the Amish around. They usually pay by the mile, rates are worked out with the driver. Since we knew the family, we were comfortable staying with them, and they made us feel quite welcome. Esther said some people stay in a hotel for a long visit like this, and they have to pay for their hotel also. We felt like this was a vacation for us too, so we split the price of the gas with them, and let them feed us all week.

And yes, they all have fairy tale ends!!!

MusicLady
August 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM
It looks really nice and very practical at the same time...
This could be perfect for me to wear to work at the shelter...
Now to figure out HOW exactly to do it ;)
Anyone feel the urge to make a photo/videotutorial?

We didn't have time for Sarah to do my hair when we went over for dinner tonight - they were still milking cows and we had some plans at the campground to get back for. But tomorrow I'm going to try and do it on myself and see if I can get some good "how to" pics. Because of my bad signal here, though, it may take a while for me to get them up.

I did get a great picture of my DH helping milk the cows, though!

MusicLady
August 6th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I'm trying to remember what all was written in this thread. And all this stuff is just my guesses or small knowledge of the Amish.

Pennsylvania Dutch I believe is a variation of German. Girls tend to wear their hair down in braids, it goes up into a cap when they are married. Men shave their beards until they are married and then they don't shave anymore.

Rumspringa is when they can experience the outside world, I also believe its the time where they "date" other Amish and find a partner before they commit to the church.

The quilting I believe they set up a frame and probably 6+ women sit around the frame all working on a section of the quilt to quilt it.

The girls wearing their hair down in braids may be a localized thing. All the girls I saw wore caps.

They did have a quilt frame set up in Wisconsin. They were working on a beautiful quilt with lots of purples (my favorite color). They had a lot of visitors throughout the week, and they all sat around working on the quilt while they chatted. I wish I had gotten a picture of the quilt, but somehow I only have one of the quilt frame in the background - I was taking a picture of the HUGE mound of egg noodles she had been making before we got there!

SimplyLonghair
August 6th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I want to do this style but after being up for about 35 hours with only one two hour nap, I need to go to bed. :o But I have to say that I enjoyed reading everyones attempts and the info that you have given about you time of fellowship. They sound like a lovely family.

BlndeInDisguise
August 7th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Pennsylvania Dutch I believe is a variation of German. Girls tend to wear their hair down in braids, it goes up into a cap when they are married.

Actually, they start wearing coverings when they're just little babies. Some of the young girls might go around home without a covering on, but for the most part I think they wear a covering. :)

florenonite
August 7th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I tried this style for bed last night and it was really comfortable. It was a bit wonky because I wear my hair in a deep side part and so one braid started further back on my head than the other, but other than that it was fine. There's not a lot of styles I can sleep in, but this one I could.

ktani
August 7th, 2009, 11:51 AM
An interesting website on the Amish, http://amishbuggy.tripod.com/amlinks.htm

An interesting link from that site on frequently asked questions about the Amish, http://www.800padutch.com/atafaq.shtml

I do not know how accurate the information is but it looks to me that it is legitimate.

eadwine
August 7th, 2009, 02:06 PM

From here, you will divide the sections into 3. Braid the first section at the top (secure if you need). Start a second braid with the second section and braid in the braid you just did. Secure if you need. Third section, same. Secure. Do on the other side. Then, take the length and pull it into the opposite side 'hole' that the joining braids make. Pull them tight, and loop as required. Tie off with ribbon or yarn.

I've found you can do this with 2 braid section after diving the hair, instead of three.

Honestly.. you lost me at the Braid the first section at the top

What top? You have two tails side by side that you braid?

KatKeRo
August 7th, 2009, 02:10 PM

After reading it a few times I get it.
Now I have to find the time to try it out.

rhosyn_du
August 7th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I tried the hairstyle out and failed miserably. I think I'm going to have to wait for a visual demonstration.

MusicLady
August 7th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I tried to do this braid on myself today and took some pictures. My DH also took pics while Sarah was braiding me, but she did it so quickly, he couldn’t really get very helpful pictures. She, obviously, did a much better job than I did, having lots more practice, and not trying to do it on her own head. But anyway, I hope these pictures and explanations will help those who are still having trouble visualizing it.

Your hair will be divided into 6 vertical sections, 3 on each side. Start the front sections as a French braid for about an inch, then finish it off as a regular braid, angling the whole thing toward the back. (ets: She re-did my braid today, and did NOT French Braid the top. She pulled it up REALLY tight. It could probably be done either way, though).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/MusicLady/amish01.jpg

Braid the middle section, using the front braid as one of the 3 sections, again angling to the back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/MusicLady/amish02.jpg

Braid the back section, using the completed braid as one of the 3 sections, again angling to the back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/MusicLady/amish03.jpg

Repeat the process on the other side of the head.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/MusicLady/sideview.jpg

Cross the braids in the back and pull them up to the sides.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/MusicLady/amish04.jpg

Pull the braid through the loop made where the first and second sections are brought together. Pull up tightly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/MusicLady/amish05.jpg

Cross the ends over the top of the head, and loop them through the same space (from the outside in) until your ends meet, or reach the length you want.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/MusicLady/amish06.jpg

My final style is completed by tying yarn on the ends of the braids and tying them together in the middle. When I tried it today, I crossed the braids across the top once, then tucked them down behind the braids along the side. You could use clips or pins to hold it in place there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/MusicLady/Amishbraids.jpg

ammorgan
August 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Actually, they start wearing coverings when they're just little babies. Some of the young girls might go around home without a covering on, but for the most part I think they wear a covering. :)
I just knew I had seen pictures where the younger girls have their hair down in braids, or maybe when I lived in PA I had seen some young girls with their hair down in braids. But it has been like 13 years since I lived in PA too :)

ammorgan
August 7th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I may actually be thinking of the Mennonites. I know they are less strict than Amish :)

Carolyn
August 7th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I just knew I had seen pictures where the younger girls have their hair down in braids, or maybe when I lived in PA I had seen some young girls with their hair down in braids. But it has been like 13 years since I lived in PA too :)I've visited Amish communities in Kalona IA and Shipshwanna and Goshen Indiana. I don't recall the very young girls wearing a head covering unless it was a bonnet. I think most of the young girls had their hair in 2 braids. I've seen adult women working in their gardens with triangle head scarves on their heads instead of the organdy bun cover. That made sense to me. Their head and hair were still covered in public or outside the home but the cotton triangles would be easy to wash and would keep their hair clean to a degree. All this is going to vary from area to area and church to church.

busnutmedic
August 7th, 2009, 08:12 PM
All this is going to vary from area to area and church to church.

Bingo!

You really wouldn't believe how many sects of Plain people there are - Mennonite and Amish.

My husband used to be Plain Mennonite (family still is) and my BIL is in the process of becoming Amish - between what they and the other Mennonites and Amish people say, there is no unanimous voice on a lot of things.

blondecat
August 8th, 2009, 07:22 AM

Not necesarily, I was Grapepicking/trimming/pruning. In the harsh Australian weather. And didn't get much damage. Even with really sticky vine juice all over me......... Yuck !

BlndeInDisguise
August 8th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I just knew I had seen pictures where the younger girls have their hair down in braids, or maybe when I lived in PA I had seen some young girls with their hair down in braids. But it has been like 13 years since I lived in PA too :)

I think in Pennsylvania it's more common for the young girls to go without coverings, but I'm not sure I've ever seen them in braids. But, it's not like I've been out there a bunch and am around Amish when I am out there. :)

I've visited Amish communities in Kalona IA and Shipshwanna and Goshen Indiana. I don't recall the very young girls wearing a head covering unless it was a bonnet. I think most of the young girls had their hair in 2 braids. I've seen adult women working in their gardens with triangle head scarves on their heads instead of the organdy bun cover. That made sense to me. Their head and hair were still covered in public or outside the home but the cotton triangles would be easy to wash and would keep their hair clean to a degree. All this is going to vary from area to area and church to church.

That's interesting. I've been to Kalona and "know" a few of the Amish there (well, my parents do more than I do) and they are pretty conservative. I'd be surprised if they allowed the girls to go around with braids a whole lot, but I could be wrong. :) There are Fellowship Mennonites in Kalona--maybe that's who you saw? :confused:

As for Shipshe Amish....I am in Shipshe quite often, and I've ceased to be amazed at what I see there. It's pretty sad, really. Though I've never seen a young girl in braids. :o

They do wear scarves quite often around here. I think maybe they can't wash their coverings, or something? I know there are some Amish coverings that are washable and some aren't, but I can't remember if it's these Amish that are or not. :)

Carolyn
August 8th, 2009, 10:04 AM
That's interesting. I've been to Kalona and "know" a few of the Amish there (well, my parents do more than I do) and they are pretty conservative. I'd be surprised if they allowed the girls to go around with braids a whole lot, but I could be wrong. :) There are Fellowship Mennonites in Kalona--maybe that's who you saw? :confused:

As for Shipshe Amish....I am in Shipshe quite often, and I've ceased to be amazed at what I see there. It's pretty sad, really. Though I've never seen a young girl in braids. :o

They do wear scarves quite often around here. I think maybe they can't wash their coverings, or something? I know there are some Amish coverings that are washable and some aren't, but I can't remember if it's these Amish that are or not. :)I don't know if the women and children I saw were Amish or Mennonite. I remember their dresses were all solid colors, made in what I think of as an "Amish" style of a full skirt, set in waist, sleeves and straight pins to keep the front placket closed. All the teen girls I saw had the organdy bun covers. I wish I could remember how young the girls in pigtails were. Maybe pre-school or lower grades? I am going to have to be more observant the next time. Now I'm very curious! I do know the Kalona area has Mennonites, Beachy Amish, and Old Order Amish. Maybe the differences lie there?

I like to visit Shipshewanna once a year. It's not far out of my way when I go to Michigan. I like to go to Yoder's Department Store and Lollys (Lallys?) quilt shop and Laura's Fabrics way out in the country to get my supply of Amish hair pins.

lora410
August 8th, 2009, 10:16 AM
even though I take good care of my hair, I still have a lot of broken ends. I think hair will just wear out when it decides to no matter how great you take care of it.

jel
August 8th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Fascinating thread! I must confess that my "knowledge" of the Amish culture stems from the Harrison Ford movie 'Witness'...

I've braided one side of my head (the last braid had very unequal strands, I should have thought more about it before just plunging in), and my arms are already tired! I suppose it is worth it when you don't have to redo your hair for a week... Though I will have to take it down Monday morning, I believe.

BlndeInDisguise
August 8th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I don't know if the women and children I saw were Amish or Mennonite. I remember their dresses were all solid colors, made in what I think of as an "Amish" style of a full skirt, set in waist, sleeves and straight pins to keep the front placket closed. All the teen girls I saw had the organdy bun covers. I wish I could remember how young the girls in pigtails were. Maybe pre-school or lower grades? I am going to have to be more observant the next time. Now I'm very curious! I do know the Kalona area has Mennonites, Beachy Amish, and Old Order Amish. Maybe the differences lie there?

I like to visit Shipshewanna once a year. It's not far out of my way when I go to Michigan. I like to go to Yoder's Department Store and Lollys (Lallys?) quilt shop and Laura's Fabrics way out in the country to get my supply of Amish hair pins.

Well, now that you mention it, I think maybe I have seen the really little girls (1-2-ish) wearing braids before. But probably not much older than that. But that's not saying they don't, I'm not always terribly observant. :o

Spectors (right across the road from Yoders) also has Amish hair pins if you didn't want to go all the way out to Laura's Fabrics. :) I get my hair nets that I use from Yoders.

Carolyn
August 8th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Well, now that you mention it, I think maybe I have seen the really little girls (1-2-ish) wearing braids before. But probably not much older than that. But that's not saying they don't, I'm not always terribly observant. :o

Spectors (right across the road from Yoders) also has Amish hair pins if you didn't want to go all the way out to Laura's Fabrics. :) I get my hair nets that I use from Yoders.Thank you so much for the hairpins at Spectors info. I will definitely check that out. I like going to Laura's if I have time. She has the prettiest selection of Sticky Notes and the nicest paring knives. I'd looked for the steel pins at Gohns in Middlebury but they only had the short ones and the traditional hairpins that you can get almost anywhere. Have you ever eaten at the little restaurant that's one or two doors down from Gohns? Such yummy food!

ETA: next summer I'm going to make a point of being more observant. I'm curious!

BlndeInDisguise
August 8th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Thank you so much for the hairpins at Spectors info. I will definitely check that out. I like going to Laura's if I have time. She has the prettiest selection of Sticky Notes and the nicest paring knives. I'd looked for the steel pins at Gohns in Middlebury but they only had the short ones and the traditional hairpins that you can get almost anywhere. Have you ever eaten at the little restaurant that's one or two doors down from Gohns? Such yummy food!

ETA: next summer I'm going to make a point of being more observant. I'm curious!

I'm not sure if I've ever eaten at that restaurant I think we've eaten at a restaurant close to Gohns, but I can't remember the name of it or where exactly it was.

I will have to pay more attention as well next time we got to Shipshe. ;)

Carolyn
August 8th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure if I've ever eaten at that restaurant I think we've eaten at a restaurant close to Gohns, but I can't remember the name of it or where exactly it was.

I will have to pay more attention as well next time we got to Shipshe. ;)I'm horrible with directions, but it's to the left as you come out the door at Gohns. I had tomato gravy there for breakfast served over fried mush. I'd never had it before and it was delicious. I asked how it was made and I was told it was made with a base of Campbells tomato soup!

shadowclaw
August 8th, 2009, 04:07 PM
OT but my maternal grandmother's side was also from this area, or at least from an area that was between/both Germany and France at various times in history. Neat!

Cool! Family histories and trees are always so interesting, and it's a lot of fun to research, too. I knew very little about my family beyond my great grandparents until I signed up for Ancestry.com and found out that a lot of my relatives (second cousins and the like) had also done research. I hit a goldmine when I did some research through census reports and found out that someone with a common ancestor as me had professional research done, and I can now happily trace parts of my family back to the fifth century.

One side of my dad's family came from Alsace-Lorraine too. The family name was Hoestettler. There are quite a few versions and spellings of that name. They are Old Order Amish about 3 generations before me. My great grandmother was Mennonite. She died before I was born. How I would have loved to have known her. I have met some very elderly Mennonite cousins. (their dad and my great grandmother were brother and sister). Those ladies wore the little organdy bun covers. I never talked hair with them but we did talk quilting. They were lovely gracious ladies. That branch of the family settled in Kalona, Iowa. I wish I knew more about them.

My ancestors weren't Mennonite, although I believe they may have been Lutheran, as my great grandmother was Lutheran and she married a Bonitz. However, that doesn't necessarily mean her husband was Lutheran. After all, my dad is Methodist (I think) and my mom is Catholic. But that's good to know that some of the Amish also came from a region other than what became Switzerland.

Elphie
August 8th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I think in Pennsylvania it's more common for the young girls to go without coverings, but I'm not sure I've ever seen them in braids. But, it's not like I've been out there a bunch and am around Amish when I am out there

I've been to Penn. quite a few times, most recently a few months ago and I can't say I've seen any Amish girls without coverings, at least not in public places. Perhaps they're more relaxed when they're at home? What I did notice was that it appears that they roll the sides of their hair no matter what style they are wearing the rest of their hair in. I can remember being impressed with how tightly and how well their hair stayed under the covering.

kirky
August 10th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Anyone else had success with the braided style?? I have tried, but I'm having a difficult time getting it to look neat.

teela1978
August 10th, 2009, 04:48 PM
My first try at it looked great from the back (I think) but messy up front. My 2nd try I think I braided it looser. It looked much better from the front, but wouldn't stay right in the back. I think the french-braiding of the top part really helps with the looking neat up front part, but it kinda messed with my last braid I think.

AuntyClaus
August 10th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I don't know how neat mine looks--I'm just happy I was finally able to "get" it after seeing the in-progress pictures. ;)

ZadenWillowfyre
August 11th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I gavei t a try! It's in my albums!

ChatoyantLocks
August 12th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks MusicLady for posting about this style! I tried it, and it is working out quite well for me. It is balanced, stays in place (even after sleeping on it), and looks attractive. The only problem I've had is that it is slightly itchy, but I think I would have that problem with any of the coronet braid variants.

frodolaughs
August 12th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I'm wearing this style again today. My hair isn't long enough to loop back and forth through the upper loops securely, so I've been using the lower set instead. It's very balanced and secure, and unlike a bun it's comfortable against the headrest of my car.

MusicLady
August 13th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I'm wearing this style again today. My hair isn't long enough to loop back and forth through the upper loops securely, so I've been using the lower set instead. It's very balanced and secure, and unlike a bun it's comfortable against the headrest of my car.

Yes it is comfortable. We'll be traveling tomorrow, and I'm thinking about trying to put it in myself so I don't have to mess with it in the morning!

Yayasmurf
August 13th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I just hate being a newbie! I want to see the pics too :(

basketcase413
August 25th, 2009, 10:09 AM
yep, I know what you mean about being a newbie....can't see some, can't post none!!!! LOL

marikamt
August 25th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Preface.... PLEASE,PLEASE, PLEASE forgive thread hijack..... I have a question regarding Amish Communities.....
I used to live in Ohio and loved visiting Lehmans and the Amish community near Sugar Creek (I think?)
I am now in Wisconsin... DH and I would like to go away for a day/ overnoght or weekend..... I have heard of Shipshewana... what other Amish communities that may have neat stores (along the lines of Lehmans) are within driving distance from southwest wisconsin??? I was thinking Shipshewana, I think it is about 4 hrs for us.......

keight425
September 1st, 2009, 08:51 PM
I have really enjoyed reading this thread! The Amish really intrigue me as well so that was really neat to read about your experiences with them and how to do one of their hairstyles (awesome!!) I really need to try it out sometime soon!

Thanks!:):)

Chibbylick
September 2nd, 2009, 04:53 AM
The in-stages pictures are great... I can't wait to try this out on my little sister who has classic length hair. I think mine is still too short :(
Chibby

Savvyhorsez
September 2nd, 2009, 05:21 AM
Her daughter has hair about to her knees, and she says her mother's hair is shorter than hers (I didn't see it down) due to damage and breakage. I thought it interesting that as protected as their hair is, they still have that much damage and breakage that would keep it above classic length. Granted, they do not trim their ends to get rid of their damage, and that may escalate the damage.

I've known many Amish, and I know that most women pull their hair tight back, and they loose a lot of hair and look almost bald in front because of the pulling it back like that.

Melisande
September 2nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
Here is my clumsy, frizzy version of the Amish hairstyle, at the end of a long day:

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae311/MataPics_2009/th_20090902amishbunside.jpg (http://s983.photobucket.com/albums/ae311/MataPics_2009/?action=view&current=20090902amishbunside.jpg)

I used only two sections on each side. And in the end, I bunned the braids in a regular bun because I couldn't do it the proper way... But it holds very very well and I hope it will give me nice braidwaves!

Zéphine
September 2nd, 2009, 01:12 PM
It looks beautiful, Melisande! I love your hair color, and the style looks so shiny and sleek, not frizzy at all.

Eloa
September 3rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
I tried it out today too, what a wonderful hairstyle! Very comfortable and pretty, too. Thank you, musiclady!
Here's my version:

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/3903/amish2.th.jpg (http://img513.imageshack.us/i/amish2.jpg/)
After looping the braids, I rolled them up and pinned them instead of threading them through the loops again.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5569/amishu.th.jpg (http://img259.imageshack.us/i/amishu.jpg/)

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7723/amish1.th.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/i/amish1.jpg/)

By the way, I am German. I thought the Amish were Swiss German, so I could probably understand them. The word "rumspringa" for instance means: "jumping around" or "hopping about". very funny! (if anyone else already posted this, ignore me)

eresh
September 3rd, 2009, 02:25 PM
Very beautiful Eloa!

eadwine
September 3rd, 2009, 02:25 PM
WAAAA so pretty.. can someone PLEASE give me the dumwit explanation of this do, I still don't get it.

Maybe a video somewhere that I can understand?

Stunning Eloa :)

Zéphine
September 3rd, 2009, 10:16 PM
eadwine: Part your hair down the middle and set aside one half. With the other, make a small braid using hair from the top of your head, then use the braid as one strand in a medium-sized braid made with hair a bit further down. The second braid becomes one strand in a big braid that uses up all the hair on that side of your head. Repeat with the other half of your hair. Take the little braid on the left and pull it away from the rest of your hair, forming a slot. Thread the big braid from the right through the slot, inside to outside. Thread the big braid from the left through the corresponding slot on the right. Cross the braids and thread again, outside to inside. Band the ends together and tuck them out of sight.

I tried making a video, but it's very first-attempt-ish. It's here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjIbNey6zRA). I'd recommend scrolling over most of it, as it's almost ten minutes long (I couldn't figure out how to edit right). The braids take much less time if you can look at what you're doing.

Eloa, your braids are jaw-droppingly gorgeous. Wow!

MusicLady
September 5th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Eloa - I love how you used the different colored ribbons. It really sets the braids off nicely!

MusicLady
September 5th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I've known many Amish, and I know that most women pull their hair tight back, and they loose a lot of hair and look almost bald in front because of the pulling it back like that.

Yes. When she did my hair, she pulled it very tight. I could feel the hairs being pulled out as she did it.

eadwine
September 5th, 2009, 03:08 PM
eadwine: Part your hair down the middle and set aside one half.
OK I can follow that.

With the other, make a small braid using hair from the top of your head, then use the braid as one strand in a medium-sized braid made with hair a bit further down. The second braid becomes one strand in a big braid that uses up all the hair on that side of your head. Repeat with the other half of your hair.
Aha, ok, that I follow, yes.

Take the little braid on the left and pull it away from the rest of your hair, forming a slot.
You mean ... oh the part that isn't included in the rest, aha, yeah that normally lays loosish against your head, ok..

Thread the big braid from the right through the slot, inside to outside.
The big braid is the loose hanging braid on the right, stick right to left through the slot.. yes..

Thread the big braid from the left through the corresponding slot on the right.
Ah same thing, just with the other sides..

Cross the braids and thread again, outside to inside. Band the ends together and tuck them out of sight.
Through the same slots again? Or through the one below that?

And then you enter the slot from the other side (outside) so the ends end up in the middle (instead of at the ears) and you can tie them off? Right?

I think I mostly got it now! :D With those two quessies answered I can give this a try tomorrow. I hope it won't look miserable, I am only ii after all hehe.

Fractalsofhair
September 5th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Hmm, the style looks cool!

Anyways, in regards to what an Amish person could do to damage their hair when it's up, many do cover it. If the covering is something like wool, it could cause damage that way. If they're doing hard physical labor, quite frankly, things do happen to your hair that damage it. (Hitting it against things, it getting caught in things etc).

SheaLynne
September 5th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Ooh, I tried this 'do this week on myself and dd. It is fantastically light and stable! For a day when I am going to be working hard on housework, yardwork, etc, it is a great updo that I don't have to think about at all.

I didn't take a pic, but thought it looked pretty, and I would wear it out and about, too.

eadwine
September 6th, 2009, 01:52 AM
I tried making a video, but it's very first-attempt-ish. It's here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjIbNey6zRA). I'd recommend scrolling over most of it, as it's almost ten minutes long (I couldn't figure out how to edit right). The braids take much less time if you can look at what you're doing.
I can't see it, it's set to private :(

eadwine
September 6th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Oh! Questions answered :)

These are crossed and then brought up to be threaded through a loop created where the first and sections are braided together and pull them up tight. They are crossed again, and threaded through the same loop (outside to inside).

eadwine
September 6th, 2009, 03:09 AM
The result! :D

Halfway (man this part was a pain!)
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8894/amishhalfway.th.jpg (http://img199.imageshack.us/i/amishhalfway.jpg/)

And the final result, from the back and a bit from a top view:
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7087/amishtop.th.jpg (http://img199.imageshack.us/i/amishtop.jpg/)

Very lightened up or you wouldn't see diddly with my dark hair *giggles*

Diamondbell
September 6th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Looks very good, eadwine! :)

eadwine
September 6th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Thanks Diamondbell!

plainjanegirl
September 6th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I can't see it, it's set to private :(

I'd also like to see the video.

eadwine
September 6th, 2009, 07:27 AM
The result! :D

Halfway (man this part was a pain!)
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8894/amishhalfway.th.jpg (http://img199.imageshack.us/i/amishhalfway.jpg/)

I look at this picture again and suddenly I feel like I am Jar Jar Binks :lol:

Trinka
September 11th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I am wearing my hair this way today (though I threaded the braids through the bottom loops, instead of the top ones.)

My Friday-morning-before-work-treat is to go through Dunkin Donuts drive through for a cup of coffee (I LOVE their coffee.)

I'm usually there about 5:45, and the man who works the early morning shift is Indian.

He complimented my hair this morning ... It was so sweet!

"Your hair style is good today. Looks like Indian hair style."

I was very flattered!

Trinka

frodolaughs
September 11th, 2009, 09:40 AM
That's a great compliment Trinka! I'm wearing my hair this way today too.

eadwine
September 11th, 2009, 11:25 AM
That is a great compliment! :D

lambhair
September 11th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Yes me too! I'd love to see this video...but its private:confused:

Zéphine
September 11th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Oh no, I feel stupid. I set the video to "private" because I thought that meant it would work until 25 people had viewed it and then go invisible. It's changed to "public" now. See if this works now. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjIbNey6zRA) Sorry about that!

lambhair
September 11th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Yay! Thanks so much...I have been trying to do this style for a week now and haven't gotten the hang of it yet...Thanks for the video and your help :happydance:

eadwine
September 11th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Oh no, I feel stupid. I set the video to "private" because I thought that meant it would work until 25 people had viewed it and then go invisible. It's changed to "public" now. See if this works now. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjIbNey6zRA) Sorry about that!

Don't worry, that is what I thought at first as well, it is nothing to be ashamed of :)

Thanks!

Tornerose
September 11th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Awensome, i love hearing about the amish and other peopel who live in oldfashioned ways.
I wish there were some of theese around here too

jlpearce
September 13th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Man, I can't wait until my hair is long enough to do this! Still a couple of years away, I fear...

Kat
September 13th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I didn't get through all of the pages, but...those of you who are not using ribbon or yarn to hold the ends...how do you do it? I'd like to use this style for dance competitions but we're not supposed to have "any visible hair adornments." I could just try to find a brown-ish colored yarn or ribbon, but I'd rather use elastics...

Trinka
September 13th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I've been using either a jaw clip or a ficcare to hold it. Either seems to work fine.

Zéphine
September 13th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I use an elastic to band the ends together and it works fine. If you're wearing it for a dance competition, I'd suggest using a few pins––my ends sometimes end up sticking out somewhere (the style doesn't fall out, but it gets a bit messy).

Noortje
September 14th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I finally got a photo-worthy result for the braided bun! :cheese:
Granted, needs some more work on the sleekness, but me likey! I did go more zigzag using both top and bottom loop instead of around... :o
It's good for upper arm excercise though -after 2 tries I thought they would fall off!! (I'm more doughy than musculy :D)
*click me*
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt150/marijkeve/th_amishbraids.jpg (http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt150/marijkeve/?action=view&current=amishbraids.jpg)
Ugh, showing of bended knitting needle...
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt150/marijkeve/th_amishbraidsside.jpg (http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt150/marijkeve/?action=view&current=amishbraidsside.jpg)

levelek
September 14th, 2009, 06:23 AM
eadwine: Part your hair down the middle and set aside one half. With the other, make a small braid using hair from the top of your head, then use the braid as one strand in a medium-sized braid made with hair a bit further down. The second braid becomes one strand in a big braid that uses up all the hair on that side of your head. Repeat with the other half of your hair. Take the little braid on the left and pull it away from the rest of your hair, forming a slot. Thread the big braid from the right through the slot, inside to outside. Thread the big braid from the left through the corresponding slot on the right. Cross the braids and thread again, outside to inside. Band the ends together and tuck them out of sight.

Eloa, your braids are jaw-droppingly gorgeous. Wow!

Thank you! This is the explanation that finally helped me get it.

Kat
October 4th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I tried this tonight. The pic's a bit blurry (hard to hold up a camera and shoot the back of your head blind) but you can see what a mess it is! I'll link to the pic in my album rather than embedding it here and hope it works that way (if not, someone tell me and I'll embed); I left it rather large so you can see the detail as well as possible, since it's so blurry. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1411&pictureid=51834

For one, I always have trouble with braids because my hair is so tangly that the different sections get tangled up with each other. And then I have to try to untangle with one hand because the other is holding the braid. I'm sure plenty of hair gets wrecked in the process. At any rate, while trying to deal with several sections of hair and detangling, my grip on the braid is never so perfect so it doesn't come out looking good. It doesn't help that I decided to make my first attempt when my hair is oiled, either. But I figured I'd try it because I wanted it up oiled overnight, and I can't sleep well with my hair in a regular bun--it's wide enough that it makes my head tilt on the pillow in a funny way. I had thought this would be nice and flat and not bug me, but not this time!!

Second, I think I need to start the initial braid way higher...like practically on top of my head. Because once I get the third bottom section braided in, it's pretty low (I think more at the back of my neck than the back of my head) and there's a lot of "blank" hair (hair that's not braided) that is there before I get to the part that gets braided in. You can sorta see it hanging at the bottom.

Third, I know that after the first cross/thread-through, I was then weaving the ends underneath already-crossed sections, not through the sections I created initially. Which I think is a large part of the reason it's not very flat or spread out across my head.

I find this REALLY hard to do on myself. In future I might do it with just two braids on each side (so just one "hole" to thread through instead of two) so it takes up less space on my head than the three. And there will be fewer different sections to keep track of and try to keep looking nice. That should make it WAY easier. Anybody wanna come live with me and do this style for me? I imagine it would be pretty straightforward to do on someone else...

Meanwhile, I haven't the faintest clue how I put all these in there, and I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be horrible to try to un-weave it all out of there! I hope it's not too badly tangled once I take it down.

It's held up with two of my Good Hair Days pins and seems secure enough for the night.

I was hoping it would come out well enough that I wouldn't have to take it down tomorrow morning before I go to work and put it back up into another style (likely a plain bun for time conservation; I don't "do" mornings and having to get up any earlier than absolutely necessary to brush teeth, get dressed, etc.--I even shower at night so I don't have to do it in the morning--is not cool in my book. However, it looks so awful that I might have to. I might try putting a hairnet over it to hold the loose pieces in and see if maybe that doesn't look too bad...I suppose anyone who doesn't know the look I was going for might think that weird knot is intentional...I'll tell them it's some new edgy Asian style or something.

Quixii
October 4th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Okay, first I have to thank Kat because I was planning on bumping this back up, but she saved me the embarrassment. :p

Anyway, I've been doing this style for gymnastics competitions, and I am so impressed. When some one recommended it, I thought no way would it work. But I tried it anyway, secured the ends with my team scrunchie, and it stayed put the whole time. The ends kinda bobbed up and down, and didn't stay down even with a few pins, but still. It was flat enough against my head that it didn't bother me at all doing rolls on it, it kept everything out of my face, and I didn't have random braid fall out of the hairstyle half way through, like I have in most of my styles of the past. Today I had another competition and did it again, and this time we used a ribbon woven with the scrunchie which we tied to the criss-crossed braids, and it didn't move at all. I'm so pleased I've finally found something that works. If it didn't take 22 minutes for my mom to do it, I'd probably do it for practices too. :D
So, thanks from a happy long hair! <3

Quixii
October 4th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Second, I think I need to start the initial braid way higher...like practically on top of my head. Because once I get the third bottom section braided in, it's pretty low (I think more at the back of my neck than the back of my head) and there's a lot of "blank" hair (hair that's not braided) that is there before I get to the part that gets braided in. You can sorta see it hanging at the bottom.

However, it looks so awful that I might have to. I might try putting a hairnet over it to hold the loose pieces in and see if maybe that doesn't look too bad...I suppose anyone who doesn't know the look I was going for might think that weird knot is intentional...I'll tell them it's some new edgy Asian style or something.
In my experience: While I don't do my own, when my mom does it, the first (French) braid starts at my hair line.

Aww, I didn't think it looked that bad. Maybe because the picture is blurry. But either way, just because it doesn't look like it's supposed to definitely doesn't mean it's bad. My vote goes for edgy Asian style. :)

freecelt
October 5th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I'm confused... I thought the Amish were traditionally anti-braids? Maybe that's a generalisation gleaned from reading Beverly Lewis at a young age (I know, I know), but I'd have thought particularly a fancy, complicated braid like that wouldn't be considered Plain. Were they of a more liberal/unusual ordnung, or am I just getting my facts wrong? I live near several Amish communities and I've seen that style quite often on their little girls. I've never seen braids in the women's hair but I couldn't say they don't wear them either.

freecelt
October 6th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Oh, about damage to Amish hair, they put their hair in a bun every day. It seams to me that they use a LOT of pins. I think that is part of the culprit. I've heard they aren't gentle when brushing either though I think they use BB brushes so?

I have seen one Amish women with KL hair, it was gorgeous!

freecelt
October 9th, 2009, 01:34 PM
My attempt. I think I wrapped it different. I'll have to go read the instructions again now that I've done it. http://www.axcessmypics.com/photos/photo01/b4/69/13bda36ebdfe.jpg
I slept in it and it's day two now. It's a little fuzzy but not as bad as I thought it would be. yesterday I used bobby pins and it slipped some. Today I connected the two braids with a hair band and it's much more secure :) .

eadwine
October 9th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Ohhhh it looks gorgeous!!

little_acorn
October 9th, 2009, 02:02 PM
It does look gorgeous :D

Feng-Shui
October 9th, 2009, 02:39 PM
This hair-style is beautiful.:flowers:

lambhair
October 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
My attempt. I think I wrapped it different. I'll have to go read the instructions again now that I've done it. http://www.axcessmypics.com/photos/photo01/b4/69/13bda36ebdfe.jpg
I slept in it and it's day two now. It's a little fuzzy but not as bad as I thought it would be. yesterday I used bobby pins and it slipped some. Today I connected the two braids with a hair band and it's much more secure :) .

Thats one of the best versions of this style I have seen....you did a wonderful job on that!:)
I'm still having trouble with it, I can do the braiding but when it comes to the lacing it never looks right-just a big lump of braids not laying down nicely at all.
Yours is beautiful! Any tips?

freecelt
October 9th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Thank you :) . Lambhair the first cross at the base was the trickiest part imho. I kept messing with it till it lade how I wanted it. I kinda pushed the loopy braid toward the middle of my head and that seamed to help the crossing braids lay nicer. I also did it wet with oil in my hair, that makes a world of difference for me if I want my braid to look neat. HTH :)

GoddesJourney
October 11th, 2009, 01:05 AM
[quote=MusicLady;707006]
According to my Amish friend, Esther, they do not cut their hair at all. Esther is about 35, and her hair is about classic length. They wash their hair once a week, and then put it up in braids or a hair ball (bun). Her daughter has hair about to her knees, and she says her mother's hair is shorter than hers (I didn't see it down) due to damage and breakage. I thought it interesting that as protected as their hair is, they still have that much damage and breakage that would keep it above classic length. Granted, they do not trim their ends to get rid of their damage, and that may escalate the damage.

quote]

I was thinking about this the other day, and I wonder if it is related to rough hands and pillowcases. I know that rough hands from working can cause breakage and the Amish have a very work related lifestyle. Also, I get some breakage from rough pillowcases.

plainjanegirl
October 23rd, 2009, 06:15 PM
OK I can follow that.

Aha, ok, that I follow, yes.

You mean ... oh the part that isn't included in the rest, aha, yeah that normally lays loosish against your head, ok..

The big braid is the loose hanging braid on the right, stick right to left through the slot.. yes..

Ah same thing, just with the other sides..

Through the same slots again? Or through the one below that?

And then you enter the slot from the other side (outside) so the ends end up in the middle (instead of at the ears) and you can tie them off? Right?

I think I mostly got it now! :D With those two quessies answered I can give this a try tomorrow. I hope it won't look miserable, I am only ii after all hehe.

So are you pulling through the same slot each time? And how many times do you pull through before you tie off the ends? Do you also pin the ends? I'm confused, but would like to try this.

freecelt
October 23rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
I pulled outside in on the top then outside into the next section then out toward the bottom so my ends were tied of under the big braids and weren't visible. HTH

teela1978
October 24th, 2009, 10:20 AM
So are you pulling through the same slot each time? And how many times do you pull through before you tie off the ends? Do you also pin the ends? I'm confused, but would like to try this.

When I've done it, there's really only one slot to stick anything in. The main thing I've noticed is making sure to go sorta from the outside in when youre kinda weaving the braids together.

You don't need any pins. Its almost like lacing a pair of shoes... but with one big slot instead of multiple grommets... and you lace them up the back of your head until there isn't any hair left to lace... then I ponytail the ends together and shove them underneath all the criss-crossing braids below.

if that made any sense.

Alba-NY
October 26th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I only read the first post now but am impatient as usual to post :p

Amish vary quite a lot. Our neighbours and a worker on my parent's farm are, and originally from Lancaster. Across the river are a group whom lived there for many years, and they have very, very different lifestyles. Same with another nearby group.

The neighbours are a lot more modern than the others, if that is right word? Things like having phones in a booth, indoor plumbing, and using tractors with steel wheels in addition to mules and horses... across the river all the farm work is done by hand and horse, they do not have any phones even in a booth, and they have no plumbing. "Our" Amish do not dress so formally (and of course their clothes are really different from the others anyway) for example they do not wear outer bonnets to town usually, just winter. The Other Amish always wear outer bonnets and other extra clothing if not at home. Just to set the scene.

I would not be suprised if the more old fashioned group did not cut their hair, but I do not know. Our neighbours definitely do. I have been around on haircutting day :p A girl closest to my age had about classic last I saw, and that is fairly normal. Mine is longer than anyone in that family they said. As long as it is very long they can trim to keep things easy, they figure.

The little girls wear braided buns and a scarf tied over, but that often falls off :D The rest of the women seem to only do bee-butt buns with the hair around their face twirled back. Unfortunately quite a few of them have lost the hair as far back as their ears from the pulling.
I always wondered about showing one friend how to do a figure-8 because her bun is always falling out, and bee-buts don't lie very well under their caps. I haven't felt comfortable to though. She has let me borrow "Amish" pins before, but they did not have the springy-ness of those I bought. They did not work so well... hmmm, maybe that is her bun trouble actually :p

For the most part they are weekly washers, but more if needed. They do not take the best care of their hair by LHC standards. When we go shopping they buy big, cheap bottles of harsher shampoos than I'd ever consider with long hair, and they don't brush or comb too carefully. They don't pay much attention to their hair at all or do anything to promote its health or whatever.
The moms I know all have tailbone or maybe even shorter hair. It is only the teens with the thick long hair, really. Inattention, harsh shampoo and treatment, a tight bun, and multiple pregnancies (shedding!) do a lot to keep it shorter.

Kat
November 1st, 2009, 10:49 AM
I tried this again a few weeks ago and came up with pretty much the same result, even though I made more of an effort. Looking at it, it almost seems like my braids are too long...like, it gets to a point where it might look okay, but then I still have braid left over to figure out what to do with. It also seems like it all tends to sag downward, even though I try to pull the braids tight when I'm "weaving."

I also need to figure out a better way to do the ends. Right now I tuck the ends back to the middle at the top and use a single hairpin (and pull it all up so it doesn't sag and the pin holds it).

deviantkitten
January 29th, 2011, 08:40 PM
OOOOOLLLLDDDD thread that I am going to resurrect!
I did a search for Amish hairstyles last night for the hell of it, and like all hair related searches I do, i was lead to this thread.
This is my version of the hairstyle. I looked at the pictures and diagrams, and did this. I don't know how close it is to the original, but this is what happened lol
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50071093@N06/5399466859/

If anyone would like me to do a tutorial on this style on my youtube channel, let me know and I will! I think this is so beautiful, and looks way more complicated than it is!
On a side note, it looks kind of like a heart, so it may be a good style for Valentine's Day. It does hold fairly well on it's own, but my hair is really slippery, so I used a bobby pin on each side to anchor the end bits. I know the bobby pins and the elastics I used aren't traditionally Amish, but I found this is what worked best for me. It is really comfortable and feel really great!

freecelt
January 30th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Very neat! I just did this style on my niece yesterday http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4063&pictureid=94703

Celtic Morla
January 30th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I can't wait for my hair to get long enough to do this style, my mum used to do a simlar one on me when I was young!

As to the different hairstyles and types of Amish, Mennonites , it gets confusing because tere is so much variety!!LOL. From most of what I have learned they all promote tightmnees int he hair since they prob don't take it down every day it alows th ehair to stay up longer but there's damage because of it. Esp with the Lancaster old Order who do the front spin gather in their hair-many are prematurely bald from this style. Tightness also signifies discipline.

I have seen some Amish and Mennonites who braid but they are usually more relaxed in their colours and dress styles. I would say between NY & PA I have encountered at least 4 different varieties of Amish and about 6 of Mennonite. Then there are the Hutterites inCanada and they are different too but quite often mistaken for the Amish. I have no clue how many different layers there are in th eOrders, I would say probably at least 30-40 form what I have read and heard.!

Panth
January 30th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I tried this style today but simplified (started with the first third of each side but then plaited it into the rest, rather than doing it in three sections). Not sure I got the wrapping 100&#37; as it was supposed to be (did it rather like a chinese bun but tucking it under the 'slot' instead of behind a hairstick) but it is very sturdy with only a couple of pins to keep the ends in.

I quite like how from the front it looks rather like a pair of french plaits bunned - I like that look but so far I've only been able to do one french plait on myself as I keep getting hair from the other side of my parting inside the plait.

It's a bit too faffy for everyday for me (seeing as I don't think I'd leave it in all week!) but quite nice. I'm also kinda intrigued how this hairstyle uses such a similar method to the Elling Woman's hairstyle to stay up. ^_^

squintinschool
January 30th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Weee, I gave this a go, and it is so pretty, even on my APL hair. However, I needed to forgo the top section, in favour of two sections, because well, my hair barely makes it one loop.
Photographic evidence:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6883&pictureid=94766
Please excuse the scalp cleavage, I have parting issues that even iii hair doesn't hide.
This is definitely not a sleep-in-able style for me, but well, that will come with length.:cheese:

pepperminttea
January 30th, 2011, 08:02 PM
If anyone would like me to do a tutorial on this style on my youtube channel, let me know and I will!

I would love to see a vid tutorial; written instructions for hair may as well be in Greek to my eyes. :o

Jenw777
January 30th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Switzerland :-)

On topic: I have tried similar hairstyles, they keep well, but it gets too itchy for me after a while.

Alvrodul
February 2nd, 2011, 02:16 PM
I tried this style today! Very comfortable - I will definitely use it again!:D

I've posted the picture here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1084&pictureid=46818

Quick description:

Each side is divided into 3 vertical sections. The front section is braided all the way down. When completed, the second section is braided together with the first. When completed, the third section is braided together with the first 2 sections. When both sides are done you will have 2 braids (she tied them with a long piece of yarn). These are crossed and then brought up to be threaded through a loop created where the first and sections are braided together and pull them up tight. They are crossed again, and threaded through the same loop (outside to inside). When the ends are short enough, the yarn is tied together in a bow, and the braid ends can be tucked in. I've had this in 5 days now without touching it, and it's just a little fuzzy! Again, when I can get a sample head, I will try to get some better pictures of it being done. Not sure yet if I can do this to myself, but I think I can.

ArienEllariel
July 9th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Could someone make a youtube tutorial on this style? Pretty please??

I'm no good at written directions...

mrs_coffee
July 9th, 2011, 10:31 AM
The Amish around here (central Ohio) are mostly German. They all speak German unless they're speaking to an English. Style of dress, hair, whether or not they are allowed to ride in vehicles, etc is determined by the Bishops of that particular community.

The more modern Amish are "Beachy" Amish. They wear colored dresses and white caps. Old Order Amish wear black bonnets and dark, solid colored clothing.

freecelt
July 9th, 2011, 10:46 AM
If anyone would like me to do a tutorial on this style on my youtube channel, let me know and I will!

Could someone make a youtube tutorial on this style? Pretty please??

Deviantkitten meet ArienEllariel :D

Stub
July 9th, 2011, 03:28 PM
So glad someone resurrected this thread or I'd never have seen this! I did a quick try while watching a video, and this is what I got:

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/2343/amishbraid0001.jpg

My braid is short so I tucked it from the inside out on the bottom loop and then back in the top, then had to elastic tie my ends together to keep them from sliding back out. But I LOVE how solid it feels! This could be a great working style for me if I can get fast at it, or do it well enough to sleep in.

Thank you! :cheese:

eezepeeze
July 15th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Thank you to whoever resurrected this thread. It is fascinating! Here is my attempt at the braided bun. It is in my album. Coudn't get it to post here.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6050&pictureid=107962

Kira94
December 17th, 2011, 12:44 AM
How long do you think your hair would have to be for this style?

Elphaeba
December 17th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I really want to try this but I don't think my hair is long enough.

ArienEllariel
December 17th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Still waiting for a video tutorial for this do. I found one on youtube but the lighting wasn't good and there was no sound or written instruction either so I didn't quite get it.

Hollyfire3
December 17th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I could never just leave my hair like they do. I need trims (i NEED a blunt hem line to be sane, i cannot do faiytale ends, they annoy me) i need at least ONE hair products (hehe my hair without anything =frizz curly rats nest that would not even behave enough to go into a braid... i could wash my hair only once a week but still do not know how nice any style would look if people never cut their hair. More power to the amish for doing what they do, i have no intrest in joining them in any aspect though. Intresting observations and beautiful hairstyle you learned and did very succecfully on yourself.

jacqueline101
December 17th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Sounds very interesting and their culture is interesting about hair care.

MusicLady
December 17th, 2011, 01:50 PM
This is beautiful! Did you weave the braids back and forth to cover the back like that? I'll have to play around with it, and see what I can do.

BlazingHeart
December 17th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I love the look of this style, but I fear that doing it with braids as thick as mine could be uncomfortable where the braid is supposed to pass through a 'loop'. Hmm.

xgeckox
December 20th, 2011, 05:02 AM
My 6 year old and her TB hair

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9337&pictureid=121569

thanks so much for the inspiration :)

freecelt
December 20th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Looks great xgeckox! Much more elegant looking than my attempt :)

Kelikea
December 20th, 2011, 07:26 PM
My first attempt:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8987&pictureid=121632
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8987&pictureid=121631

eezepeeze
December 21st, 2011, 08:11 PM
I love these pics! I have worn this style a lot recently, actually, for cleaning the house and unpacking (I moved recently). It holds like a rock, is comfortable, and keeps the hair OUT of my face and OFF my neck. I've even slept in it several times. I love it! Unfortunately, my hair doesn't look as good as you ladies in this style... a bit too bumpy. But it IS comfy and easy to do.

ArwenUndomiel
December 21st, 2011, 08:46 PM
I was wondering if this video on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyWQdIifip0) is the same as or close to what you are describing. It looks very time consuming but it probably keeps everything out of the way while they are working.

allnight avenue
December 21st, 2011, 09:19 PM
That seems almost the same, except she only utilizes the "holes" made to loop the braids through once instead of twice. It seems a little silly to go the trouble of making them if you're not going to use them...

MusicLady
December 29th, 2011, 11:42 AM
That video is very similar, but it is more of a bun, where mine is more of a coronet, and I believe is more comfortable for sleeping. It is quite beautiful, though, and the coronet could easily be changed to a bun for daytime. Also, mine uses no pins at all, utilizing yarn or ribbons to connect it all.

I have attempted to put together a video. It is edited down, but is still 8 minutes long! Let me know what you think:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/MusicLady/Hair/th_AmishBraid.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v636/MusicLady/Hair/?action=view&current=AmishBraid.mp4)

Nannanej
December 29th, 2011, 01:13 PM
That video is very similar, but it is more of a bun, where mine is more of a coronet, and I believe is more comfortable for sleeping. It is quite beautiful, though, and the coronet could easily be changed to a bun for daytime. Also, mine uses no pins at all, utilizing yarn or ribbons to connect it all.

I have attempted to put together a video. It is edited down, but is still 8 minutes long! Let me know what you think:

Thanks! I didn't understand it until I saw your video! Now I get it, will try it in a sec :D

Shebelina
December 29th, 2011, 06:05 PM
What a fascinating thread, I've learnt so much. I love the style, I think I understand it fairly well. Thank you MusicLady for posting a wonderful video tutorial, It was very informative.

I'm going to try this one for work on new years eve, I work at an Indian restaurant and they love it when I do intricate braids in my hair.

Aliora
December 30th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Can't wait to try this! Seems very simple and comfortable but still pretty.

Joly
September 26th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Resurrecting the thread to add an illustrated tutorial (http://nyxbyproxy.tumblr.com/post/62321476434/illustrated-amish-braids-tutorial-originally). I wish I'd had this when I first found this thread a few years ago, and I thought it might be helpful to someone else.

Darkhorse1
September 26th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I'm wondering if the reason the mom had breakage is due to the fact they lead a very hard life (elements, physical labor) and probably nutrition isn't as good due to lacking certain foods--if they only eat what they can grow, they would go without certain foods for a long period of time.

pogo0685
September 26th, 2013, 05:35 PM
This is awesome, I have to try this. Holy your hair is beautiful, I really like the pale green in it, I thought it was a ribbon but then saw it was your hair. I love it.

Joly
September 27th, 2013, 12:47 AM
This is awesome, I have to try this. Holy your hair is beautiful, I really like the pale green in it, I thought it was a ribbon but then saw it was your hair. I love it.
Thank you; that is very kind of you to say.

shubham
September 27th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Nice video, Thanks for like this

Silver Sister
September 27th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Lancaster Co. Amish (pronounced: AW-mish)women work in gardens and mow lawns without covering their hair with bonnets. They wear prayer veils (coverings) but it is a thin fabric that doesn't protect from the elements. Older women may wear bonnets in the garden, but by then, the damage is done. They're not known for hair oiling as anything that would be directed to self glory is frowned upon.

The tension of the middle part causes crown hair loss in mid to later life. Usually they wear the same style daily.

Their diet is not the problem. They probably eat better than many of us.

jrmviola
September 27th, 2013, 06:31 AM
I got my hair most of the way up last night (the style that has been talked about in this thread). Aparently my hair was too long and i was ending up with a giant ball of hair I didnt like. But i can see where someone with fragile hair would have lots of damage. This hairstyle- my hair was saying "no way get this style out of your hair at once!" but it is pretty from what i've seen... just not for me.

Kaelee
September 28th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Resurrecting the thread to add an illustrated tutorial (http://nyxbyproxy.tumblr.com/post/62321476434/illustrated-amish-braids-tutorial-originally). I wish I'd had this when I first found this thread a few years ago, and I thought it might be helpful to someone else.

I'm going to have to try this! I'm wondering if I'm coordinated enough to pull it off lol.

Joly
September 28th, 2013, 10:46 PM
I'm going to have to try this! I'm wondering if I'm coordinated enough to pull it off lol.

Of course you are! It's English braids, and the "shoelacing" can be redone until you're happy with it. Do post pictures!

-Fern
February 12th, 2015, 08:08 PM
I had kind of a hard time figuring out the Amish braids until I stumbled on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1ms8ODU42k

It's in German, but pretty easy to get just by watching.

LongCurlyTress
September 13th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Wow! Haartraum's Amish braided bun is simply gorgeous. Thanks for posting! :eye:

cm006j
July 2nd, 2017, 06:27 PM
Even though I would expect Amish ladies to have well-preserved hair, I have been going to a local Amish market and all of the women have severe damage to their hair on the sides just above their ears. I assume it's from wearing the same style every single day. All the women older than about 30 have bald patches there :(

Aunt Rapunzel
July 2nd, 2017, 07:56 PM
I had kind of a hard time figuring out the Amish braids until I stumbled on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1ms8ODU42k

It's in German, but pretty easy to get just by watching.

Thank you! That helped tremendously!

Stormynights
July 2nd, 2017, 09:13 PM
I heard that the bald spots were caused from baiding and pulling the hair too tight.

embee
July 3rd, 2017, 07:41 AM
Sometimes the little caps are held on by bobbypins too, and those can cause troubles all by themselves.

meteor
July 3rd, 2017, 09:13 PM
Even though I would expect Amish ladies to have well-preserved hair, I have been going to a local Amish market and all of the women have severe damage to their hair on the sides just above their ears. I assume it's from wearing the same style every single day. All the women older than about 30 have bald patches there :(

Hmm, interesting observation. Of course, it could be just genetic (thinning is not that uncommon at that age and if many people share some of the same hair genes, I don't see why it can't be just natural occurrence) or some other reason, but personally, I did find Amish braids a bit rough on hair (though I adored the look and the stability), just in the area of "hair pockets" where you are supposed to push & pull braids through and tighten and tie them up. I did hear hairs breaking sometimes there, but I don't know if that could cause bald patches (instead of a bit of simple breakage), unless of course they make their hairstyles really tight, like ballerina-bun-tight. And I definitely agree that bobby pins in that area could be a problem for finer hairs in the temple area. Also, I wonder if there are other updos that are popular in that community, I mean, other than the Amish braided bun? :hmm: It could be cool to find out more about hair practices. :)

tuanyiji
November 11th, 2022, 10:57 AM
This is such an interesting thread and I stumbled across a video called Traditional Mennonites Braids, and I see some similarities with Amish braids (bun), so I think I will post the link here for future reference when I do my second round of ABC hairstyle challenge:
https://youtu.be/UVsSuWNo5Yk

Shorty89
November 11th, 2022, 11:22 AM
This is such an interesting thread and I stumbled across a video called Traditional Mennonites Braids, and I see some similarities with Amish braids (bun), so I think I will post the link here for future reference when I do my second round of ABC hairstyle challenge:

That's neat. Thanks for posting.

shelomit
November 11th, 2022, 06:27 PM

Wow, hearing Plaatdeutsch spoken really brings me back! When I was a kid, it was only quite elderly people whom you would encounter speaking Plaat. . . I recall my best friend's great-aunt would always pray in Plaatdeutsch.

I can't claim to have seen a yarn-secured style like this among the plain girls where I grew up, but both the flat metal clips and the "bloop" of hair combed forward on either side of the hairline were popular. I seem to recall the bloops being mostly worn by older girls/women who were already baptized and therefore didn't wear braids anymore (at least out of the house). You could pick up that style of hair clip at any gas station in the nearby counties that had large Mennonite populations, sometimes sitting next to printed copies of the Ausbund ; D