PDA

View Full Version : (Insert Bad Words Here)

eternallyverdan
August 4th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I just tried to trim my hair and made a complete mess of it. Most of it is the length that I want, but the ends are horrid and uneven. I fail at scissor-fu, and I think I'm going to have to go to a stylist to get it fixed. This is what I get for trimming my hair-- I go 5 years without cutting a single hair on my head and now I've bollixed up the one attempt that I've ever made! See if I ever cut my hair again... I'll just shave my head next time (though looking at this I'd probably manage to scalp myself or something, considering my complete lack of manual dexterity).

Pre-trim:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/forevagreenearth/pre-trim.jpg

Post-trim:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/forevagreenearth/post-trim.jpg

I'm sorry about the picture quality-- that mirror is kind of dirty.

brok3nwings
August 4th, 2009, 02:32 PM
To me it doesnt seam uneven but probably you see better! i dont know if i would consider a hairdresser or a friend to help ..

Roseate
August 4th, 2009, 02:45 PM
:grouphug:

It really does look fine to me, definitely looks more even in the second pic than the first.

I know I would hack myself all to heck if I tried a self-trim, you get major bravery points for even attempting. I'm sure any volunteer will have no problem repairing your job. Sorry you've got hair stress!

Irishred
August 4th, 2009, 02:49 PM
First, in the picture you show it does not look that bad. Put it up and don't think about it for just a little while at least.

Second, what method did you use?

I have self trimmed and trimmed my DD's for years with great success using Feye's method (linky) (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim). Though, I have modified it a bit for length.

Silver & Gold
August 4th, 2009, 02:56 PM
You made me laugh with your choice of words in your description. Failing at "scissor-fu" and "bollixed", it's just a very amusing way to put things.

However, I don't think it's nearly as bad as you perceive. Self-cutting does take a bit of patience and practice. I've cut my own hair for about 30 years. I've made some fine messes, mostly from getting too aggressive with the amount of hair I cut.

If you are new to it you probably want to start by removing about 1/4 the hair you actually intend to remove. Then you have someplace to go if you need to repair any unevenness. However, it is not for everyone, some people just don't have the required patience and eye for the task. In this case you are probably better off to find someone you trust to do it for you.

Take heart, it isn't at all bad.

eternallyverdan
August 4th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'm sure I'll stop freaking out in a few days, and at least I have no one but myself to blame.

First, in the picture you show it does not look that bad. Put it up and don't think about it for just a little while at least.

Second, what method did you use?

I have self trimmed and trimmed my DD's for years with great success using Feye's method (linky) (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim). Though, I have modified it a bit for length.

I was using Feye's method, but I didn't have anyone helping me with it and I'm massively uncoordinated. How did you modify it for length? My hair is about the same length as yours, I think.

You made me laugh with your choice of words in your description. Failing at "scissor-fu" and "bollixed", it's just a very amusing way to put things.

However, I don't think it's nearly as bad as you perceive. Self-cutting does take a bit of patience and practice. I've cut my own hair for about 30 years. I've made some fine messes, mostly from getting too aggressive with the amount of hair I cut.

If you are new to it you probably want to start by removing about 1/4 the hair you actually intend to remove. Then you have someplace to go if you need to repair any unevenness. However, it is not for everyone, some people just don't have the required patience and eye for the task. In this case you are probably better off to find someone you trust to do it for you.

Take heart, it isn't at all bad.

I know, I guess I just had an initial period of absolute horror. I'll find some way to get it fixed this week. Thanks for the tips, and I probably will just find someone else to do it for me in the future.

Silver & Gold
August 4th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'm sure I'll stop freaking out in a few days, and at least I have no one but myself to blame.

I was using Feye's method, but I didn't have anyone helping me with it and I'm massively uncoordinated. How did you modify it for length? My hair is about the same length as yours, I think.

I know, I guess I just had an initial period of absolute horror. I'll find some way to get it fixed this week. Thanks for the tips, and I probably will just find someone else to do it for me in the future.

Well I hope that whoever you find to cut it for you is very accomplished at scissor-fu and doesn't bollix it up for you. Hee hee. I'm going to be giggling over your choice of words all afternoon and into the evening.

eternallyverdan
August 4th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Well I hope that whoever you find to cut it for you is very accomplished at scissor-fu and doesn't bollix it up for you. Hee hee. I'm going to be giggling over your choice of words all afternoon and into the evening.

Well, I aim to please. :p

spidermom
August 4th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I couldn't self-trim, either. I ended up with a 1-inch difference, my hair slanting from left to right. Luckily, I have a really good stylist who does what I ask. So except for wanting to save the money, I'm happy to have her do it.

Good luck, and I agree with everyone else; your self-trim doesn't look half bad.

natt i nord
August 4th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I think it's just fine. Your hair's just a bit wavy... ;)

I do selftrim too with Feye's method and I never get a hemline like done by a stylist but it's acceptable and not that bad. I think you did a good job :)

adiapalic
August 4th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Your hair looks... beautiful! It looks more even than mine! :flower:

GlassEyes
August 4th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Looks even to me.

I ****ed up my layers trying to self-trim so badly that I had to go to a stylist to get it even. It was so bad that I was too embarrassed to tell her I did it myself, so I blamed it on Supercuts. If I've learned anything from my stepmother, it's that if you blame a bad haircut on Supercuts, most stylists at privately owned salons will accept it as fact. xD;

Luckily for me, it just got rid of most of my remaining bleach damage, and I think I've passed the length I was at anyway.

Nyghtingale
August 4th, 2009, 08:02 PM
You have very pretty hair.

keight425
August 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I'm also going to put in another: It-doesn't-look-bad-to-me! :eek::eek::eek:
And you said you haven't worried with cutting for 5 years and so don't beat yourself up on the 1st attempt! Trimming is a skill and now you have a little experience under your cap...

eternallyverdan
August 4th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Okay, now that I've had a few hours to calm down and not look at the picture and the back of my head, it's not really worth the massive whine-fest that is the first post. I'm still not sure how I'm going to even it up, but I'm not nearly as disappointed as I was just after I finished it. And the ends look so much nicer now that they're all in the same place and not so splitty.

Thanks, everybody! All the comments have really helped me see the positive instead of just going AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH look at that WHAT HAVE I DONE?!

Also, is it just me or does my hair look wurlier (is that a word) now that it's trimmed?

heatherdazy
August 4th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I ****ed up my layers trying to self-trim so badly that I had to go to a stylist to get it even. It was so bad that I was too embarrassed to tell her I did it myself, so I blamed it on Supercuts. If I've learned anything from my stepmother, it's that if you blame a bad haircut on Supercuts, most stylists at privately owned salons will accept it as fact. xD;
Ha ha ha, I just had a client who said that to me today! I wonder if it was true...

may1em
August 5th, 2009, 12:53 AM
It doesn't look that bad. Wavy hair hides many "sins."

I ended up with uneven results the first time I used Feye's self-trim, too.

After three months of hoping nobody would notice, I got a small trim at a stylist, who didn't appear to notice.

Self-trimming, like any skill, takes practice. It appears that you want a U-shape (same one I use!). Personally, if my hair gets much longer, I'm going to have some issues with the pulling the scrunchy down part and will probably just caterpillar my hair for that step instead. Now I'm pretty successful at self-trimming and have modified the process slightly (such as evening up by bringing all of my hair together in front of me).

I've seen plastic contraptions for sale that are supposed to hold the ends of your hair in place while you trim - maybe something like that would help you?

ljkforu
August 5th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Well, I aim to please. :p
My mom does it with a level and masking tape and then cuts. Messure 20 times cut once.

JamieLeigh
August 5th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I don't think it looks bad at all, but maybe that's just the angle your hair was falling in the photo? Anywho, I trim my own, but I've been doing so for years, and I botched up the first few times, one of them in a major way (about 2" came off altogether, when I was aiming for a 1/2" trim *sigh*....). You just have to get experience under your belt. Or just don't trim. There's nothing wrong with fairytale ends, although it definitely does not please everyone. Personally, I think fairytaling looks BETTER with extreme length like yours. And some people swear that just S&D helps keep things even. :)

And I would be VERY careful if I were you, if you ever go to a stylist for a trim. There have been so many horror stories on here about people who have gone in for a 1" trim, and ended up with 6" chopped off. :mad:

melrose1985
August 5th, 2009, 10:16 AM
i dont think it looks bad at all.

And i have that same green shirt in your first pic! I love that one.

Heidi_234
August 5th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I see nice thick deep U shaped hemline.
If you're not happy with your hair, you contact me via PM to arrange a swap. :yumm: :p

heatherdazy
August 5th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I ended up with uneven results the first time I used Feye's self-trim, too.

After three months of hoping nobody would notice, I got a small trim at a stylist, who didn't appear to notice.
A general rule of thumb among stylists is to never talk sh*t about the previous haircut unless the client does, since for all you know she loved her last stylist but just can't see her anymore.

eresh
August 5th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I think your hair looks great!
A nice U shape

enfys
August 5th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I couldn't self-trim, either. I ended up with a 1-inch difference, my hair slanting from left to right. Luckily, I have a really good stylist who does what I ask. So except for wanting to save the money, I'm happy to have her do it.

Good luck, and I agree with everyone else; your self-trim doesn't look half bad.

I'd blanked it from my memory until now but I did this too. Only once. I took my time after that.

EV, I think it looks pretty good, and with hair like yours I think the ends are the last thing people notice after they look at a million inches of very lovely hair.

Irishred
August 5th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Sorry it has taken me a bit to get back to this... kinda forgot, so many other things I am constantly doing right now.

My modified version of feye's self trimming involves multiple hair ties spread down the length. I did have pics in an album... let me look ...

yes they are. I deleted the other album so there is only one and they are on the first page... I'm wearing pale grayish pants and a purple flower top. Only used 2 ties but you get the idea. I have used additional ties since I took those pictures.

---- Basic modification instructions for classic and beyond self trimming using feye's method. ----

1. Use 3 or more soft preferably satin scrunciis.

2. Make a pony tail at the base of you nape as in feye's instructions.

3. Take 2 of the additional scruncci you are going to use and add it right under the previous. Don't make them too tight as they do need to slide.

NOTE! --- One of the most important factors is to keep this centered on your back as you are sliding the ties. Using both hands to reach and slide helps the most if you are doing this alone.

4. Slide ALL of the ties down to your shoulders maximum reach over your head. (or 6ish inches down)

5. Leave the top tie at that point and reach up (or get help) to slide the others down to about waist (6-8 more inches).

6. Leave the 2nd tie here. If needed, tighten the 3rd tie before moving it.

7. Slide tie 3 down to about TB-classic . It you taper a lot, slide slowly and tighten if needed. IF you have really long hair, you may want to add a 4th tie at this point and repeat the slide tighten thing.

8. Follow Feye's directions for trimming.

I go through this process twice. Combing between each.

THEN.... I divide like for pigtails and bring all my hair to the front. combed straight. Follow Feye's instructions for head tilt THEN ....

I make a ponytail under my chin just like I did at the nape and repeat what I did in the back. --- Remember to keep it centered and the head tilt as you slide.

I do this twice.

THEN I repeat what I did in the back at least once just to make sure it is as even as I can make it.

This takes me less than 30 minutes to do. Less time if I have a bit of help with the sliding part.

Hope that helps...

may1em
August 5th, 2009, 03:31 PM
A general rule of thumb among stylists is to never talk sh*t about the previous haircut unless the client does, since for all you know she loved her last stylist but just can't see her anymore.

Good point. However, I told her I trimmed it myself (without mentioning that I thought it was uneven), and she still didn't say "don't do that!" She did try to make me commit to professional trims on a much more regular basis than I'm comfortable with, but she also didn't tell me not to do a self-job again.

Now to test evenness, I do pigtail braids as a checking trick - if the braids aren't the same length, then I trim more off the longer side.

eternallyverdan
August 5th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks so much, Irishred! I might try this again in another 5 years or so, and if I do I will definitely follow those instructions.

I really am fine with it now, though it's still nice to hear all of this good stuff about my hair. I could get egotistical if you lot keep this up!

I've got a better picture of the results of the trim today. It's a bit wonky, but not the huge mess that I feared, and none of my family members even noticed that I'd trimmed it (it went from "really really insanely long" to "really insanely long" which isn't a big change for most people).

Pic-age:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/forevagreenearth/post-trimnextday.jpg

And my braid tassel (which is sort of embarrassing, but I'll live):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/forevagreenearth/braidtassle.jpg

I guess it really could be loads worse!

may1em
August 5th, 2009, 05:31 PM
That braid tassel looks totally normal to me. You do have a U-shaped hem instead of a straight blunt cut, after all. Even if you'd trimmed perfectly, with that hem shape, your braid tassel would look the same because braids take the edges of your hair and move it to the middle - there's no way to ensure that the longer hairs end up in the center of the tassel. If it bothered you enough, you could comb the tassel hairs together.

Are you enjoying the fresh ends? I know I always revel in how much less tangly mine are after a trim. :)