PDA

View Full Version : Expired molasses - ok for hair?

florenonite
August 4th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I'm wanting to try a moisture treatment with molasses and conditioner. I found some molasses in our kitchen cupboard that expired in January. Is this still ok to use on my hair, or should I just throw it out?

nowxisxforever
August 4th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I'd imagine if it's not moldy or anything that it should be ok!

SimplyViki
August 4th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Hmm... molasses expires? :ponder: I didn't even think about that! I'd better check the molasses I've had since I moved in to my apartment or so... It seems OK though...

florenonite
August 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I'd imagine if it's not moldy or anything that it should be ok!

Ok, thanks, I'll check!

Hmm... molasses expires? :ponder: I didn't even think about that! I'd better check the molasses I've had since I moved in to my apartment or so... It seems OK though...

Well, we've had this stuff for a good five years, so it takes a long time for molasses to expire. I suspect the expiry date might just be on there because they legally have to provide an expiry date :shrug:

Eden Iris
August 4th, 2009, 01:58 PM
If it smells OK and there's no visible mold, it should be fine, for eating or for hair. Sugar is a preservative.

Aeon F.
August 4th, 2009, 02:19 PM
heh, who knew molasses could even expire? When I grabbed mine for my SMT- I didn't even think to look for that. It probably was expired! :lol: I've had it forever!

prettigurl
August 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I'd throw it out

tinah
August 9th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I'd throw it out
why? What's going to happen the day after it expires that is not going to happen the day before? If there is no change in texture, smell, or appearance, what's wrong with it?

Flynn
August 10th, 2009, 02:02 AM

I think everything (well, every food) just has to have an expiry date.