PDA

View Full Version : Question about CO washing from a newbie!

Kristina921
August 4th, 2009, 10:02 AM
So today is day 2 of CO washing. I thought my hair would feel really greasy but in fact, it's the opposite. My scalp on the top feels very dry and itchy. Could this be from the conditioner I'm using? I am using the Suave tropical coconut. (which smells wonderful btw) Could my hair not like the protein or the lack of cones? Other than that, the length looks pretty good, but still alittly dry...

TIA!

Rohele
August 4th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Could be the conditioner. I never went through an adjustment period either when I switched over to CO washing, but certain conditioners work better than others for me. The tropical coconut Suave made me itch like crazy, but it wasn't actual dryness, more of just a flakes/itch/scalp buildup problem. I use the strawberry Suave with no issues.

If your ends are dry, you can try a heavier conditioner from your ears down. (CO wash with your suave, and the condition the ends, just like you would when using shampoo and conditioner). If your ends have damage and dryness the lightweight conditioners you use for CO might not be enough for your ends.

Kristina921
August 4th, 2009, 10:32 AM
wow that was quick! Thanks, I will try a different conitioner...At least the suave and vo5 are cheap so you can find the right one.

Deborah
August 4th, 2009, 10:36 AM
If you tend to react to fragrances you might like Cure Care Conditioner found at Sally Beauty Supply. This one has no fragrance or colors added, and is my current favorite for CO washing. It's pretty cheap too. :)

P.S. For dry ends, gently stroke on the ends a tiny dab of either shea nut butter or jojoba while your hair is still wet or damp from washing. This works great!

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 4th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Did you clarify before switching over to CO? I'd also try a different brand of conditioner, I like VO5 for CO'ing more than anything else :) You also might find that your scalp may sometimes need a shampoo (mine will itch but it doesn't get dry) so I will shampoo with a cone free shampoo at the roots only while CO'ing the length. HTH :flower:

Elphie
August 4th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I use Suave TC all the time, with no issues, but I also like their cherry blossom and that doesn't have protein, so maybe you could give that a try.

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 4th, 2009, 10:48 AM
their cherry blossom has cones in it :(