PDA

View Full Version : Hair color

CindyLea1
August 3rd, 2009, 09:00 PM
I'm thinking about doing some funky colored streaks or chunks in my blonde hair. Is there something temporary I can do? I'm thinking red, maybe blue, maybe purple? Heck, maybe I'm just hitting a midlife crisis! :poot:

I'm thinking I may want to try Henna glosses just to make it sorta strawberry blonde, but I'm chicken to think it's permanent. I guess I could strand test a few different things huh?

Is there a herb, or something that is temporary? I hear it is hard to get colors out of blonde hair. Should I just forget about it?

GlassEyes
August 3rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Manic Panic washes out of almost anything, even my bleached hair. *grumble*

On blonde, you might get more staying power, but a friend of mine uses Manic Panic to dye her hair red and pink for valentines every year, and likes it because she knows it'll be gone in a few days...but still, you might get some stain left over.

RancheroTheBee
August 3rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
Manic Panic washes out of almost anything, even my bleached hair. *grumble*

On blonde, you might get more staying power, but a friend of mine uses Manic Panic to dye her hair red and pink for valentines every year, and likes it because she knows it'll be gone in a few days...but still, you might get some stain left over.

Agreed. Manic Panic is good for testing colors you think you might want. You might want to also try those clip-in ones.

klcqtee
August 4th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Goodness, I hope it's not a midlife crisis! You'd only live to be in your 60s!

I don't have anything useful to say, that just made me smile.

Wanderer09
August 4th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Manic Panic, like others have said, or if you want it to last longer you could get Special Effects dyes. I've never used them but apparently they're better than MP.

I've used Manic Panic on bleached streaks and it washed out in a week. If you're worried about staining, maybe do just one streak (or a strand test) and see how that works out.

Aer
August 4th, 2009, 02:16 AM
If you don't mind it being very temporary, and since you have light colored hair, a safer alternative could be food dye, or even Kool-Aid. You probably won't get an intense color, it would be more faded, but those would show up on blonde alot easier than darker hair. A friend of mine, with blonde hair used to use blue Kool-Aid all the time to put almost powder blue streaks in her hair. She said she did this because it was relly temporary, and it was gentler on her hair than semi-permanent dyes. I can't speak from experience, but I don't think it would hurt anything to try it.

Kathryn0505
August 4th, 2009, 02:41 AM
I don't have any advice on hair dyes, but I've always wanted to try 1- or 2-inch red tips on my blonde hair! I think that would look super cool!

GlassEyes
August 4th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Manic Panic, like others have said, or if you want it to last longer you could get Special Effects dyes. I've never used them but apparently they're better than MP.

I've used Manic Panic on bleached streaks and it washed out in a week. If you're worried about staining, maybe do just one streak (or a strand test) and see how that works out.
Special Effects is great if you want staying power after testing it out with a weaker dye. :D This I know from experience.

If you don't mind it being very temporary, and since you have light colored hair, a safer alternative could be food dye, or even Kool-Aid. You probably won't get an intense color, it would be more faded, but those would show up on blonde alot easier than darker hair. A friend of mine, with blonde hair used to use blue Kool-Aid all the time to put almost powder blue streaks in her hair. She said she did this because it was relly temporary, and it was gentler on her hair than semi-permanent dyes. I can't speak from experience, but I don't think it would hurt anything to try it.

Actually, I've seen kool-aid stick around in hair, and it's not pretty. One girl I know put the stuff over bleached hair, and it faded alright, but it turned her hair this awkward gray-blue. @_@ It might work out on light hair, but it'd still be a very weak stain, and probably won't show up much.

Kirin
August 4th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I agree with Glass Eyes about the manic panic, it does come out, though depends on the color how LONG it will take. My blonde girls have used midnight blue and hot pink, and had different results. The hot pink washed out in two weeks flat, faded out nicely too.

The blue? It faded to GREEN and stayed that way for some time, it took two months for it to finally fade away.

I am thinking colors with a hue of green base may take a while longer and leave a weird cast while its fading out.

heatherdazy
August 4th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Temporary colors will be fine on you if you have virgin hair. The reason it's said to stay in blonde hair longer is because most blondes are bleached and their hair has a higher porosity than virgin or colored hair.

Since you want pieces of color and not all over your head color, it might be worth seeing if there is a Paul Mitchell salon or even one of their beauty schools near you and you can give Inkworks a try. It's a temporary color that can be mixed to match any exact shade you'd like... (once I had a girl bring in a purple sweater!) and a stylist might have some good ideas about color placement, etc. It won't be pricey at all since you're not wanting a full head of streaks.

sherigayle
August 4th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I just colored with Punky Color last week. I washed with clarifying shampoo immediately after the initial rinsing to get all the residue out and only CO'd once so far and the color is staying pretty good. No matter what you use, be prepared to have some bleach on hand for cleanup. The color stains everything.

nowxisxforever
August 4th, 2009, 02:23 PM

I was gonna say this. I have a friend who has a big-arse green streak in her waist-to-tailbone (varies) length hair that mostly uses lots of koolaid in a little water as dye periodically, with the added bonus of smelling like sugar.

julya
August 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Temporary colors will be fine on you if you have virgin hair. The reason it's said to stay in blonde hair longer is because most blondes are bleached and their hair has a higher porosity than virgin or colored hair.

Since you want pieces of color and not all over your head color, it might be worth seeing if there is a Paul Mitchell salon or even one of their beauty schools near you and you can give Inkworks a try. It's a temporary color that can be mixed to match any exact shade you'd like... (once I had a girl bring in a purple sweater!) and a stylist might have some good ideas about color placement, etc. It won't be pricey at all since you're not wanting a full head of streaks.

I dyed my hair red when I was a kid with a temporary dye, and it had to grow out. I think that some blonde hair just holds onto dye better, even if it's not bleached.

inertia
August 4th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Semi-permanent colors can last a long time. See the brown hair in my avatar? That's semi-permanent color over bleached blonde, 3 months after my last touch-up. It's a good thing I really wanted my hair to be brown because this isn't coming out without serious intervention.

For temporary streaks, I'd highly recommend extensions. If you want something longer lasting than clip-ins, you can attach loose extension hair by pinch-braiding.