PDA

View Full Version : I Have Been Combing Only (no brush!)

ammorgan
August 3rd, 2009, 05:52 PM
I finally found a comb I knew I had but couldn't find. So I decided to try just combing my hair instead of brushing it, to see if it would still be "poofy" after I was done combing/brushing it.

It definitely seems like combing has done the trick, my hair doesn't seem to get "poofy" anymore! I've also taken to brushing it in the morning when I get up, and before I go to bed.

Aer
August 3rd, 2009, 06:17 PM
I noticed a very big difference in my hair when I switched from brushing to combing. I didn;t get as much poof. But after a week or so my hair seemed alot more healthy, and it didn't seem to break as easily, which was one of main problems. I still have to be very careful about breakage, however combing has helped a great deal. Happy combing!

ammorgan
August 3rd, 2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks! I've heard for a while now that wavies/curlies are better off combing instead of brushing, but never gave it a try before now.

Alia
August 3rd, 2009, 08:39 PM
When I switched to combing only, there was not only less poofiness, my hair didn't get oily at the crown anywhere near as fast. :)

RancheroTheBee
August 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM
Me, too. Then I lost my comb, and now I just use my fingers. :p

Kathryn0505
August 4th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I comb (carefully!) through my wet hair when I get out of the shower and put in a leave-in conditioner, and it ends up drying very smooth. I never brush my hair or comb it at any other time; I usually forget to comb it in the morning when I wake up because it's pretty smooth and un-poofy. I normally just run my fingers through it and only comb it that once after a shower. I've definitely found that brushing snags my hair more.

Locksmith
August 4th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I was sceptical about combing. My hair doesn't and never has done "poof" 9or any other kind of volume for that matter), but I noticed a big difference in how much splitting and tangling I got when I switched from brushes to combs. So glad I did it!

harpyangel
August 4th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I haven't brushed my hair since January! Have been using my Body Shop wooden comb since then with no problems. My hair definitely feels a lot smoother :) It takes a bit longer to comb when it's wet but I think it's worth it.

Harpyangel x

camirra555
August 4th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Combing has been great for my hair, I still love my denman though

CaraLynn
August 4th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Yup, worked for me. Now I have waves/curls instead of a thick layer of frizz. I brushed my hair the other day in a rush because I couldn't find my comb and WOW. It looked terrible! If only someone had told me sooner that getting rid of frizz could be that simple...and inexpensive...:D

Tyrinaniel
August 4th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Blargh, I wish I didn't have to comb my hair so much. Mine tangles no matter how good a day it is for my hair, usually under my neck. Or maybe I'm just OCD and most of you are tolerant? :p

Deborah
August 4th, 2009, 10:45 AM
If combing only is working for you, then that's great. For me though, I sometimes break hair while combing, but not while brushing, so I stick to brushes mostly, and my hair turns out better that way. Just be careful with that comb! :)

Tyrinaniel
August 4th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I envy people who only have to finger comb. GAH.

Lee-Ann
August 4th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I have been combing for thr last four months. No longer brushing hair!

Nyghtingale
August 4th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I think I need an intervention. I still love my brush.

Heavenly Locks
August 4th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I think I need an intervention. I still love my brush.

I do too. I use it more than I should. I use a horn comb most days but on days I brush I still use my old standby -

http://www.cachebeauty.com/images/phillipsbrush/phillips_anti_static_AS2.jpg

EEEE!!! Somebody stop me!

LadyLongLocks
August 4th, 2009, 10:39 PM
The best tip I got in 2005 was to stop using a brush and start using a comb, especially on wet hair.
This advice came from a long hair salon owner.
I now prefer a comb.It has helped my hair.

tangocurl
September 2nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
I haven't owned a hairbrush in years...they just never worked for me, even before LHC. I have wood combs and a horn comb. I love them all.

Ruvie
September 2nd, 2009, 11:57 PM
How are wooden combs? Are they better than the plastics?

Addy
September 3rd, 2009, 04:03 AM
I love my wide tooth! It's all I use... the only time my hair gets brushed is if I ask the kids to play with my hair cuz it feels good. I never, personally, brush my hair.

MerryKat
September 3rd, 2009, 04:26 AM
I love my hair when using only a comb, but my scalp seems to get very flakey and suffer from a lack of stimulation. Has anyone else had this problem and how did your resolve it?

JamieLeigh
September 3rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
Good for you! I don't brush anymore either. It tends to take the wave out of my hair. And somehow I end up being more careful when I'm using a comb. I always just used to rake the brush through without thinking about it. :)

HoneyDrop
September 5th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Good for you! I don't brush anymore either. It tends to take the wave out of my hair. And somehow I end up being more careful when I'm using a comb. I always just used to rake the brush through without thinking about it. :)

I'm more careful when I comb too. Don't know why :p

Chibbylick
September 5th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I love my Denman brush. It seems to give me much better scalp stimulation than combing. Maybe thats because I haven't chased down a wooden comb yet! Next time I go into the city, I'm heading to the body shop!
Chibby

Nicoliee
January 20th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I only comb. When it's wet. But I don't comb often. Lazy I guess. Lol.