PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else feel this way?

marikamt
August 3rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
For most of my life, I have fluctuated between short (pixie at some times) and APL hair... I have decided to grow it out and always thought BSL looked and was long... now I am at BSL, and I don;t "see" long hair... it looks medium to me. I look at the really long hairs, and obviously I know mine is not like that, but I look at other BSL and it looks long on other people......
need to have my peepers checked or a brain adjustment...

krn2891
August 3rd, 2009, 05:19 PM
I feel like that too. My hair is at tb and I still don't think my hair is long. But if I see waist one someone else I think its long. Its instersting how are perceptions of ourselves can be so skewed.

Naamah
August 3rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
I feel that way too, my hair is at almost waist length and doesn't feel that long to me, but everyone I know tells me my hair is really long. Although, most of them have hair BSL or shorter. :P

Bunnyhare
August 3rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
yep, me too! it always makes me wonder about my brain/eye connection but i think it is more a self image thingy..

Sarah4983
August 3rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
"Hair" dysmorphic disorder :p hehe

I do the same thing though! The other day my grandma mentioned that my hair was getting long and I was like "really??" My hair seems average length but now that I think of it, seeing others with this length of hair... it looks so long!

marikamt
August 3rd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Too funny Sarah4983- you were the one that set this thought process off tonite... I looked at your "white dots" thread and thought you hadpretty, long hair.... my DH said "um, yours is the same length"...... oops!

Bucatini
August 3rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
I'm the same way. When I see someone who's at or near BSL, I think of them as having "really long hair" and I have that feeling of like SIGH IT'S SO PRETTY!

Then here I am, in the seemingly infinite space between BSL and waist, a good half-foot longer than what I just admired, and I don't think that my hair is long yet.

WritergirlAD
August 3rd, 2009, 06:51 PM
Lol it's funny how we work so hard to get long hair and then when we have it, none of us seem to see it as long! I'm the same way. I've had long hair pretty much all my life, so I guess I'm just used to it.

Aer
August 3rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
I feel this way all the time, although my hair isn't near tailbone or waist. I'm told alot by family members that my hair is pretty long, but then I see a pic or someone with like length 2inches longer then me, and then I'm like, " Arg, My hair will never be long!". I thought my hair would also feel a lot heavier when it got longer, but I have F/M hair, although lots of it, it still feels light and not that healthy heavy feeling I kind of want. Oh, well I guess I'll never be content.

marikamt
August 3rd, 2009, 07:38 PM
We girlies can be so strange about ourselves... and so hard on ourselves.... good to know that I am not the only one though. Too bad we can't see ourselves thru each others eyes (does that make sense?)

Carolyn
August 3rd, 2009, 08:03 PM
Yes :D It's a very common occurrence when you start living in Long Hair Land :)

InTheCity
August 3rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
Funny you should say this...

My hair has always been between pixie and just past shoulders and when I decided to start seriously growing in January, I set my goal for BSL.

I definitely see some progress and am very excited but just this moment I was looking in a mirror and realized I've hit the top of my bra strap. :poot:

But it definitely doesn't look that long. Perhaps because I have the shortest torso ever. Or maybe its because I see all the beautiful long hair styles on here and decided I want it longer than BSL.

I'll be at solid BSL in two months and see where I want to go from there.

Happy growing

lhangel9
August 7th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Lol it's funny how we work so hard to get long hair and then when we have it, none of us seem to see it as long! I'm the same way. I've had long hair pretty much all my life, so I guess I'm just used to it.

I feel the very same way except I don't have hair nearly as long as a lot of you here on LHC. By the way Writergirl, what do you ever do to get such beautiful, full, long hair. Come on now, do tell!!:)

redcelticcurls
August 7th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Actually, no, mine does feel long to me even if it's not LHC long, and just hitting long by societal standards. It feels more big than long I guess, but it still feels long.

meph
August 8th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I can relate. I think it might have to do with the fact that you're used to it, because you see it everyday ? I know that if I put it up and rarely pay attention to it for a long time, it amazes me that it's already that long when I catch my reflection after a while.

Chrissy
August 8th, 2009, 07:39 AM
It's very normal and happens to long hairs all the time. When mine was at its longest I did this too. I think like someone else said you just get used to it.

rach
August 8th, 2009, 07:45 AM
long? what's long i tell myself? "sniff, sniff"

frodolaughs
August 8th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Other people's mid-back length hair looks longer than mine--which is waist-length.
I think part of it is that I don't see myself from the back.

swanns
August 8th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I'm a little bit past tb yet my hair still seems short to me. Even before LHC I always thought of my hair as not being that long at all, and it was almost waist when I joined. And yet BSL and sometimes even shorter hair can look really long on someone else. Sigh!

Fethenwen
August 8th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Wow, I think I need to prepare myself to think in the right ways when I get long hair :p
Like: "It's longer than short hair! That means it's long." Would be a good argument against when I'm thinking my hair is not long when it certainly is.

Bonny
August 8th, 2009, 09:10 AM
It's funny, I'm almost the opposite. :confused: Maybe because this is about the longest I've ever had my hair (it's APL or maybe a touch longer than that). I look in the mirror and feel the hair on my shoulderblades and think, wow, my hair's pretty long! But when I look at other people and see their APL hair, I think it's not really that long. Hmmm...

The mind is a mysterious thing...

spidermom
August 8th, 2009, 09:11 AM
If you have a longer goal length, you're probably looking at your length and having the thought "not long enough yet", whereas when you look at other hair, you don't have a goal for them, so you see the length as it is without attaching a value judgement.

Longlocks3
August 8th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I have a weird syndrome where if I get even a little bit cut off, I feel like a HUGE amount has been taken off.

Also I don't think my hair is that long yet. I mean if it were long then I might be getting close to too long, heaven forbid.

ipickee
August 9th, 2009, 02:32 PM
you see the length as it is without attaching a value judgement.

Oooo good point. I think that's a very valid idea. Certainly, I think it's a truism for me :). I was a wee bit disappointed the other day because I thought my hair was longer than it actually is. This morning, I was startled at how long it really is. Talk about unstable!!

prittykitty
August 9th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Mine is at shoulder length and I sometimes feel it is long until I see someone with really long hair, then I realize it's not as long as I thought. I have never had a pixie cut so I don't know how it feels to have very short hair. I have mostly worn that feathered Farrah Fawcett hairstyle but now have let it go so I can grow my hair out.

heynormy
August 11th, 2009, 12:07 AM
My hair is about APL and some of my friends say it's long! hehe..not really, but it keeps me motivated to grow it longer so I can really surprise people!

Wicked Princess
August 11th, 2009, 01:25 AM
This happens to me rather often. It's very rare for me to come across another person with hair as long with or longer than my own (tbl)...so when I see it, I always think, "Wow! Her hair is so long!" At the same time, because it's my own hair, I don't really think of it as being "startling".

When it eventually hits thigh length, I'll probably think of it as "fairly long" as opposed to "quite long" - ah, nothing is ever good enough, haha.

Kiraela
August 11th, 2009, 07:24 AM
We girlies can be so strange about ourselves... and so hard on ourselves.... good to know that I am not the only one though. Too bad we can't see ourselves thru each others eyes (does that make sense?)

It does make sense! I have often wondered what I would look like, if I were walking down the street and met myself. What would I sound like? Like I hear myself, or like I sound when recorded?

I suffer from this strange brain disease (hair dysmorphia) too...

I sometimes look at pictures of LHCers and think, "wow, her (or his) hair is so long and pretty!!" (with an overtone of 'mine isn't that long yet') and then realize that their hair is 3-4" shorter than mine! It's compounded in oddity, since what is waist length on some people, is tailbone on me! And I still think theirs looks longer!

And yet, out in the real world, BSL-Waist is fairly common here, so i am not all that amazed by it. It could be that it is in such bad condition, but that is not always the case. I think I'm just defective, haha!

EtherealOde
August 11th, 2009, 07:54 AM
My daughters tell me my hair is getting long and I get excited every time I hear that. :) It means I have visably grown length since they last saw me! I look at myself in the mirror and can see my hair is getting longer over time, but it still doesn't feel very long to me yet. Maybe when I hit BSL. At APL I still don't have the versatility in styling that the longer lengths have. That's the main reason my hair feels short to me.

RoseRedDead
August 11th, 2009, 02:55 PM
My hair is probably an inch from waist, and it doesn't feel long to me yet. Plus, when I look in the mirror, it looks really short and stumpy. Never thought hair could look stumpy like your appendages....

Everybody gets this at some point. I think it's part and parcel of being at LHC.

Hiriel
August 11th, 2009, 03:11 PM
My hair is BSL, as is the hair of a friend of mine, but I think hers looks way longer. However, I'm short, so measured in cm her hair probably is quite a bit longer. And my hair is thick, so if it's braided for example, it will look shorter because of the thickness.