PDA

View Full Version : Some tips on getting through that awkward middle length!

fireyfurnace
August 3rd, 2009, 02:10 PM
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.” (http://www.quotesdaddy.com/quote/1185001/albert-einstein/put-your-hand-on-a-hot-stove-for-a-minute-and-it-seems) ~ Albert Einstein

If you just try to forget about it and enjoy yourself, the time will pass quickly.

Easier said than done Mr. Einstein! Although you had some great hair... you also had a lot more on your mind, discovering the theory of relativity and all. As for the rest of us...

Let's share some suggestions on how to tolerate that awful "in between stage" since many of us (myself included) are going though it right now! No matter it be from chin to shoulder - shoulder to BSL - tailbone to back of the knees... it's so frustrating! :justy:Sometimes it feels like our goal length will never arrive...

spidermom
August 3rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
My best solution was to hurryupquick put my hair up every morning without even looking at it. Otherwise I was checking the length 9 times a day and never seeing any progress (well, of course not!). At shorter lengths, I'd just twist it up the back and slide a claw-clip over it. Then the french twist. Then buns. More length = more options. Try not to let yourself check the length more than once a month; then you'll see progress.

SHELIAANN1969
August 3rd, 2009, 02:30 PM
I have found that I an obsess about almost everything, then I will slow down, then it's all old hat.

Let yourself obsess if you must, that's part of the fun (of the madness) :D

I haven't even taken hair pics in a couple of months! :D

Amara
August 3rd, 2009, 02:37 PM
Just throw it up, like Spidermom says, that's what I did, too. I obsessed for a while and now I leave it alone and it grows just as well. :)

Heidi_234
August 3rd, 2009, 02:50 PM
How can I not check my hair 9 times a day? at least? :laugh:

jennylouwhoo
August 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
im an obsessive checker im constantly checking length measuring and taking pictures i try to only do it once a month but it is hard when you want it to grow over night. lol

ClareDee
August 3rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
I'm fairly happy at APL, but for the boring journey from shoulder when I couldn't do any nice buns, all I did was blow a load of money on accessories to cheer me up while I waited. Little clips, slides, barrettes, tools for making half-up buns (stuff like this (http://whirlastyle.stores.yahoo.net/whstsm.html)), short hairsticks (5" ketylo for example) for securing a small half-up, etc.
Maybe that silly spending isn't possibe for you at the moment. Although, you can sell them on the swap board once you've outgrown them, which eases the old conscience a bit. ;)

Delila
August 3rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
Styling it to minimize the potential for annoyance was a major help. In the early stages, I'm sure I put my hair up into too-tight ponytails, just to keep it out of my way.

The more it flopped in my face or tickled the back of my neck, the more it annoyed me, so finding simple clips and things to help hold it out of the way was a big help.

After a good many years of experimentation, I've settled on a routine of haircare that seems to work for me. No itchy scalp, no buildup left untended, no overly-conditioned scalp, etc. All those annoyances while I was figuring it out meant that I spent more time, not less, fiddling with my hair in one way or another.

I avoid measuring my hair. Seems like I get it wrong most of the time anyhow, so there's no need obsessing about it from one month to the next. As my hair has gotten longer, milestones seem more subtle, which suits me fine.

redneckprincess
August 3rd, 2009, 04:58 PM
I am one of those who are completly impaitent about growing my hair I finally (after 15 months) have gotten myself down to taking only one leingth picture a month or every 2 months, really you should see the hair album in my computers pictures.
but what Im saying is taking pictures really helps. Im finally getting long enough to be able to learn and wear braids and some buns, although its getting long enough to really want to wear down all the time.
AND I am the same leingth as you...having others to grow with helps too :)

Debra83
August 3rd, 2009, 05:02 PM
I've slowed down a bit with the obsessiveness about checking constantly now that it has grown from my start point, but I definitely don't seem to have a handle on the impatience of the wait. IT IS SO PAINFULLY SLOW!!!! Sorry, no advice, just empathy.

dernhelm
August 3rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
I, too, am an impatient checker. I mean, really. No matter how many times a day I reach behind my back to feel if the ends are any closer to bsl does not matter. It will not make my hair grow faster....:rolleyes:

Silver & Gold
August 3rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
My best solution was to hurryupquick put my hair up every morning without even looking at it. Otherwise I was checking the length 9 times a day and never seeing any progress (well, of course not!). At shorter lengths, I'd just twist it up the back and slide a claw-clip over it. Then the french twist. Then buns. More length = more options. Try not to let yourself check the length more than once a month; then you'll see progress.

That has been my tactic. I just wear it up most days so that I don't see how it looks down. Otherwise I'm likely to take scissors to it to try and 'fix it'.

lundmir
August 3rd, 2009, 06:25 PM
I just concentrate on other things and just sort of forget about the length, and then it surprises me when I notice it again :D

MuzicalH3rb
August 3rd, 2009, 06:33 PM
I love this thread. I am in that awful in between stage and it makes me feel fugly! Hahaha. Sigh. I hope it's over soon!

RoseRedDead
August 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
Just put it up where you can't play with it or see it.

I'm in the agonizing plain between BSL and waist, and this is what I've had to do. I've finally started looking at my hair again, and it HAS grown. I am closer to my goal. Now I need to put it back up again and forget about it for a while.

Teacherbear
August 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
Oooh, I hated that stage! I suggest you invest in some cute clips. Pull your hair up. Pull it back. It gives your growing out 'do a different look while you are getting it longer without it looking shaggy (in my opinion).

Good luck!

Backliteyes
August 3rd, 2009, 07:12 PM
For some reason it makes me feel better when I eat something stuffed full of protein, or oil my hair/scalp with stuff that's supposed to be good for hair growth, or anything I think contributes to growing my hair faster. Mostly placebo effect, but I'm happy to fake it until I make it. :p

Addy
August 3rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
I put it up and forget about it! It works! I went from APL to almost BSL in a few short months and girl, I can't tell you how happy I was when I saw my length!:cool:

I have this one and only bun I wear and now I have a good 1-2" sticking out. :D I'm thinking I have to check out more styles. :D

going gray
August 3rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
Wish I had advice to give, I know how you feel!

systemaurora
August 3rd, 2009, 10:19 PM
I'm just past BSL and my main goal is waist (though I'm planning on growing it as long as possible and then cutting it back to waist after my wedding in 2012). So I'm pretty close to my goal anyways, and trying to focus on enjoying my hair now. When I'm not worrying about a goal it does seem to go a little faster. :)

klcqtee
August 4th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I made hairsticks, and being able to use them on my not quite APL hair has helped a lot. I can hold a cinnabun with them! This makes me feel like I have long hair, and I don't need to check it all the time.

Kathryn0505
August 4th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I hate when my hair is at that length when just the tips get into the back of my tank tops and scratch me. Any shorter, it can't reach my shirt and any longer there's too much to get stuck in my shirt. To solve the problem I put it in a ponytail every day until it grows out haha I try not to ever cut my hair that short, though.

Charlize
August 4th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I am one of those who are completly impaitent about growing my hair I finally (after 15 months) have gotten myself down to taking only one leingth picture a month or every 2 months, really you should see the hair album in my computers pictures.
but what Im saying is taking pictures really helps. Im finally getting long enough to be able to learn and wear braids and some buns, although its getting long enough to really want to wear down all the time.
AND I am the same leingth as you...having others to grow with helps too :)

I'm very impatient as well, but inspired by redneckprincess and her post the other day I took some pictures of my hair. Even though I'm annoyed at the color it was a little longer than I thought. I'm never able to measure it quite right either so it helped seeing it in a picture :-).

Charlize
August 4th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I love this thread. I am in that awful in between stage and it makes me feel fugly! Hahaha. Sigh. I hope it's over soon!

MuzicalH3rb: I know what you mean. I'm in between as well and I know I'll have to have a trim soon as my ends are somewhat dry. Sometimes during the day when I look at my hair I'll say to myself that I'm ugly and so on. Really stupid as it's only hair, but somehow it just means a lot anyway...

Lamb
August 4th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Gosh, do I know what you mean. My tips (not necessarily in this order):
1. If it's long enough, put it up, use clips, whatever to give it shape.
2. Cover it with a bandana or snood.
3. Drink.

I personally find #3 solves just about everything, but your mileage may vary... :o

templeofvenus
August 4th, 2009, 02:37 AM
hairbands get me thoughthe middle stages, just pushing it all back off my face with a nice hairband is a god send! I have tons of different ones that go with all outfits :)

Fethenwen
August 4th, 2009, 02:49 AM
GAAAAH the middle stage :justy: But I'm soon starting to get past it! I'm not far from APL, so I have started to enjoy my hair more.

I have been less obsessed with my hair these past summer months, and it has grown so much! As others have pointed out, forget about the length, keep it in braids and up dos. But don't just forget to take good care of it.

rogue_psyche
August 4th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Try not to think of your hair only in terms of how you want your hair to be, but also remember the current positive aspects. Although I'm year or maybe more away from my goal of waist, I love the way my hair cascades over the top of my chest when I bring it to the front.

I am also enjoying the shine, even though I still have the two-toned thing going on. If everything were perfect already, how would you be able to appreciate the more subtle pleasures of growing hair?

Rapunzal2Be
August 4th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I love Spidermom's word hurryupquick - always makes me smile when I see it in a post :D!

When my hair is bothering me (awkward stage, not shiny enough, too greasy, you name it) I put it up and forget it.

Right now it is at a length (roughly collarbone) where I am enjoying it down - I can actually just throw some leave in and aloe in it, shake it out with my fingers and let it air dry - and I love the result!! So I do this when I'm going out, but otherwise I have it up.

Toadstool
August 4th, 2009, 05:28 AM
What has helped me is having a fringe/bangs cut in. That way I can alter my appearance by styling that or pinning it back and it helps me forget about the rest of my hair.

Bunnyhare
August 4th, 2009, 05:40 AM
i used LOTS of little cute clips and pins and really did not look at at it much, like spidermom said..hats,clippies,bandannas and just have fun!..i know, easier said than done but I did it so you can get through it! hang in there

Arashi
August 4th, 2009, 07:41 AM
My hair is currently in an extremely awkward stage of being in between shoulder and BSL.. I've simply been keeping it up in a high braided pony tail most of the time and forgetting about it.

Chamomile betty
August 4th, 2009, 07:43 AM
For me I am constantly checking where my length is compared to where my BS is. I do notice I have taken more pictures at this length than when it was shorter. I had been past BS but I got 2.5" off my ends to give me more of a blunt cut so I am hoping to get that back this Fall. I really do think wearing hair is the best way to get through a stage.

Cynder
August 4th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I've been putting mine up. I had it down on Saturday, and kept playing with it, imagining that it was to my goal length, and trying to do all the cool buns as half do.

Its still not long enough for a half up Chinese bun, :sigh:

Lilli
August 4th, 2009, 08:03 AM
My hair is chin length and I feel like a little girl from 1935 if I put clips or other hair toys in it, so I just try to rock the round bob since it is technically fashionable and I did like this style until about 3 weeks ago!!!

Culdayne
August 4th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I am the poster child for this thread, lol.

Don't really have anything to add, just know that you are not alone!

charlyee
August 4th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I am at a very awkward length also. I have a ton of layers and although the back is long enough to be pulled back in a flexi-8, that is only about 50% of my hair. Considering I couldn't even do that a month back, I atleast know it is growing. :)

nowxisxforever
August 4th, 2009, 10:45 AM

Pretty much this! I wore my hair down when I started growing, until I found LHC, then I started wearing it up-- then I practiced "benign neglect" as well as blatantly ignored my hair.

zombi
August 4th, 2009, 11:03 AM
My hair is currently in an extremely awkward stage of being in between shoulder and BSL.. I've simply been keeping it up in a high braided pony tail most of the time and forgetting about it.
Yeah, mine is at this same length too -- I've been wearing it up 99.9% of the time and just ignoring it for the most part! It seems to be working wonders!

Also avoiding dying it because, haha, then I notice my roots more :eyebrows: and it seems like it's growing faster. Eh?

Peregrine
August 4th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Gosh, do I know what you mean. My tips (not necessarily in this order):
1. If it's long enough, put it up, use clips, whatever to give it shape.
2. Cover it with a bandana or snood.
3. Drink.

Excellent idea! I know I have an open bottle of wine around here somewhere... :silly:

systemaurora
August 4th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I do think layers makes my hair more awkward than it should be, but at the same time I lurve them. My hair is midback but my layers range from upper BSL to APL to shoulder length! Makes braiding and updoes complicated. Thank goodness for snap clips...

fireyfurnace
August 4th, 2009, 01:20 PM
If you can wear it up, that definitely helps.

Ulllgg, I'm in a crappy stage right now... a few months ago I got it cut into a shag - which, okay, it's a cute hair cut... but it's driving me crazy because it's difficult to put up. I can do it, but it take a lot of bobby pins! I'd prefer to wear it in a simple messy bun high on my head, and I can't do that with this haircut. It makes me nuts.

Also I saw someone say having a fringe helps, I agree. Keeps it you from getting bored! I alternate from straight across, to side parted, pin them up,... it keeps me occupied!:D

KajiKodomo
August 4th, 2009, 02:00 PM
My hair isn't quite long enough to put up, unfortunately. I can put the middle half up (meaning, I can't even get the front parts off of my face, they always fall out, and not just a small section, but big chunks of hair).

I can do two half-up piggytails, but I got some not-so-nice comments on it the last time I wore them at work("what's going on with your hair?" "that's interesting" said in a snarky tone), so, for now, I guess I'm wearing it down. I also can't wear headbands because they give me terrible headaches (even the ouchless ones that bend away from your temples). Perhaps I should find some of those thin fabric/stretchy ones and use them?

I'll get through this stage, but for now, I'm oiling my ends, and brushing it straight (well, as straight as I can), to get it to lay flat and trying to forget about it. If I need it out of my way on the weekends, I usually throw a bandana on my head and leave it alone.

Reptilia
August 4th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I only take a picture of the length every 6 months, and try to only measure in once per month. That way, everytime I check something, there IS going to be a difference so I always feel like I'm making progress!

redneckprincess
August 4th, 2009, 02:18 PM
If you can wear it up, that definitely helps.

Ulllgg, I'm in a crappy stage right now... a few months ago I got it cut into a shag - which, okay, it's a cute hair cut... but it's driving me crazy because it's difficult to put up. I can do it, but it take a lot of bobby pins! I'd prefer to wear it in a simple messy bun high on my head, and I can't do that with this haircut. It makes me nuts.

Also I saw someone say having a fringe helps, I agree. Keeps it you from getting bored! I alternate from straight across, to side parted, pin them up,... it keeps me occupied!:D

and week by week you will notice that you are using less and less pins for even a simple pony tail. I am down to 3 or less, when I started being active here in May I was using 10-20+clips for some. pony tails and now I can braid and do some buns and most times I dont even need any pins or clips to help...I'm still wating to be able to hold a bun in with a hair stick only....

hanne jensen
August 4th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I wear mine up all the time and don't look at it much. I'm totally ignoring my hair and hope that in a few months I'll be surprised.

sweetnmellow
August 4th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah, mine is at this same length too -- I've been wearing it up 99.9% of the time and just ignoring it for the most part! It seems to be working wonders!

Also avoiding dying it because, haha, then I notice my roots more :eyebrows: and it seems like it's growing faster. Eh?

Hahahah I am doing the same thing, I usually henna my hair every two months but I havent for the past 6 months, just waiting waiting waiting for it to grow lol! I decided to ignore it (but take care of it too, of course!) until it is at BSL at least and then I can wear it down more often:cheese:

Canarygirl
August 4th, 2009, 03:47 PM
hairbands get me thoughthe middle stages, just pushing it all back off my face with a nice hairband is a god send! I have tons of different ones that go with all outfits :)

what she said.

My hair is shoulder length in the back, but only an inch below chin length in front. And there's tons of texturized (raggedy) layers cut into it as well. I am able to do a half-up, but that's it (and even then, the front bits fall out).

To make myself feel better I'm collecting hair toys and nice headbands while I wait for it to grow.