PDA

View Full Version : Intricate braids for fine and not thick hair

freznow
April 13th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I am in no way saying that thin hair looks bad in intricate braids, but truly thick hair does look better. And when you get into too thin braids, they just cause massive untangleable knots; when you try to collect more hair to stop this, you end up taking up a large amount of space on the head, meaning the thin accent braid loses some of its delicate touch.

I was trying this braid: link (http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k132/freznow/133857_500x712.jpg) which I saw on another thread, and basically in trying to leave even a little bit of hair out of the already thin twin braids, it just made it a thin, tangled mess. Not to mention that the slipperiness of my fine causing it all to slip out in random places. This happens with many braids; the only ones that manage to turn out okay are the ones like the Arwen braid, which don't rely on my scalp hair (it's hard to manipulate the scalp hair without making bald spots), though it's still not as massively amazing as it is on thick hair.

Sooo, I doubt there will be any precise answer to my questions, but does anyone know of an intricate braiding style that is more suitable for fine/thin hair? Something that looks pretty darn special without using tiny braids or relying on thickness to look amazing. Or tips and tricks you've come across?

Sillage
April 13th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Awww gurl don't leech the bandwith :(

freznow
April 13th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Awww gurl don't leech the bandwith :(

Sorry? I just linked it; I'll save it and host it on my photobucket instead then, if that is alright with you. This'll just take a minute. I didn't think it was 'leeching' if it was only the url... Sorry!

Sillage
April 13th, 2008, 09:00 PM
That's great Freznow, thank you!!!!!! :D

frizzinator
April 13th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I have the same problem with braids, Freznow.

Katze
April 14th, 2008, 07:40 AM
that braid is really neat. I bet it falls out the minute he moves, though...!

I have been practicing my braids on me (fine and thin) and BF (fine and thick). BF really is a hair monster, his hair is probably twice as thick and grows twice as fast, yet when I braid it to the end looks thin. My theory is that all the fine hairs get compressed together and look thinner than coarse hair. How I envy Indian womens' wrist-thick, non-tapered braids! Why can't I have that?!?!?

Two braids that work well on me and look good are a coronet braid (like Julia Timoshenko but without the hairpiece, basically two French braids braided upside down then braided as normal braids - what some people here call 'Heidi' braids) and the herringbone or fishtail braid. The coronet is very flattering to my already peasant-girl-looking appearance, and the herringbone looks exotic and thick.

Instead of one long thin braid, I often braid two shorter ones, and do a herringbone, which holds my wispiness better than a regular braid. I never French braid anymore because the end looks like a rat's tail, and if I try to tuck it up it gets tangled and the ends damaged.

I'd love to learn a crown braid - I achieved a braided headband all of once, and it looked GREAT - with a similar technique.

hope you find what you are looking for!

Katze

khyricat
April 14th, 2008, 07:52 AM
my briads are super thin, but I've found that if I do twin dutch braids, then do soemthing from there, like loop them up and THROUGH the original braids, and then braid the ends together and form a loop... it looks super complicated and fancy and seems to offset the lack of hair...

eadwine
April 14th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I'd say go for the more strand braids, five and more, for a simple one anyway. They can look really nice on a thinner hair! :)