PDA

View Full Version : measuring circumference?

Sarah4983
August 3rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
I want to make sure I'm doing this right... I'm getting 3.5 inches, and from what I've been reading, that doesn't sound right...

I put my hair in a low ponytail:
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/IMG_3430.jpg

Then I take the string and wrap it (while pulling firmly) under the elastic...
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/IMG_3431.jpg

And at the 2 points on the string that meet, I mark it out on a ruler and get 3.5"... am I doing this right? I thought I had super thin hair due to an extreme amount of hairloss a year ago, but, 3.5 seems thick, no?

Also, while I'm asking about measuring, this is how I measure length - with a tape measure... I pull the end of the tape measure down with the bottom of my hair lining it up vertically and in the mirror line it up to the start of my hair at my crown and that's my number. I usually do it a few times to assure accuracy, (25.5") is this the correct method?
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/IMG_3433.jpg

Sarah4983
August 3rd, 2009, 12:01 PM
:shocked:And what is up with the hair growing on the back of my neck?!?! I didn't know it was that obvious until looking at the first picture I posted. Does anyone else have that??

enfys
August 3rd, 2009, 12:01 PM
To measure my thickness I take a strip of paper and mark where it crosses over with pencil, then measure it. If the thickness seems too much maybe your fingers are slipping as you do it?

For length I go from the 0" at the hairline not the hem, but I don't see it matter either way.

enfys
August 3rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
:shocked:And what is up with the hair growing on the back of my neck?!?! I didn't know it was that obvious until looking at the first picture I posted. Does anyone else have that??

Oh yeah. Yours looks neat compared to mine though.

Roseate
August 3rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
That looks right. I usually use a flexible tape measure and just wrap it right around the ponytail, but if you don't have one, the string should work fine.

The only hitch I could see is if the yarn is kind of stretchy it could stretch out as you pull and distort things, you might try a ribbon or a shoelace or something more firm. But actually, I don't think that would give you a bigger measurement, it would be more likely to give you an artificially smaller one. So never mind!

Hey, congratulations on unexpected thickness! You can take that i right off your profile! :D

paintedmuse
August 3rd, 2009, 12:07 PM
That's the way I do it as well, I think it's right :)
Your hair doesn't look thin at all to me. Actually, it looks thicker than average in your signature...

Sarah4983
August 3rd, 2009, 12:07 PM
:cheese:

I tried enfys' paper as well and got 3.5 again! W00t!

So.... that means... I'm ii?

freckles
August 3rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
I also always thought my hair was very thin, but it measured in the ii range. I was surprised but happy! So you can be too! :) I think I always perceived my hair as very thin as it is very fine.

Roseate
August 3rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
All ii, all the time! Looks good!

Pierre
August 3rd, 2009, 06:26 PM
The way I measure circumference, I wrap the tape around the ponytail, then hold the tape with my thumbnail at the aglet without holding the aglet. Then I take it off and read the tape at the thumbnail.

To measure length, I place the aglet on the hailline, let the tape hang behind me, and try to pull both the tape and the hair taut. This is a three-handed operation, and I don't have anyone to help me, so I get results that vary about 2 cm.

The tape I use for both is a 1.5 m tape made of cloth-reinforced plastic or something like that. If I ever achieve floor length, it will not be long enough. But for now it is, except when I have to measure the circumference of my bicycle tire.