PDA

View Full Version : The Long + Short of It <3 pic heavy

fireyfurnace
August 3rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I have come to get your opinions and support on my campaign to grow my hair long (again!)

Here are a few pictures I dug up with both long and short hair. My friends and family are so sweet, they are incapable of giving me a harsh, unbiased opinion. So I look to you! Although I'm sure you're all very sweet too :flower: Obviously, this is a long hair board - so you will be partial to long hair, so I've also posted this same thread on a short hair support forum. Thank you in advance, all opinions welcome,... good or bad!!

You will also notice that my hair color has changes often, opinions on that are welcome as well! My natural color is not represented, lol, but is very dark brown;)
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu341/fireyfurnace/0727091449.jpg
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu341/fireyfurnace/102_4355.jpg
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu341/fireyfurnace/CIMG1996.jpg

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu341/fireyfurnace/102_3813.jpg

Lilli
August 3rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
The second picture is my favorite.

redneckprincess
August 3rd, 2009, 09:13 AM
I like the first and second picture best, really they both look good.
ha.. short hair forums, cool I never would have thought...but then again I never thought this one would be here until I found it. ♥

Nes
August 3rd, 2009, 09:14 AM
I like the shape of your bangs in the second and fourth pic.

To be honest I don't think the blonde suits you. I think your features are too dark for it. But then I do tend to think that almost everyone looks best with their natural hair colour.

Be aware - if you plan to grow your hair long, it will be A LOT of work to keep it dyed and in good condition. Peroxide does criminal damage to hair and it may not be possible for you to get long hair at all if your going to bleach it - it tends to get to about armpit length and then snap off.

In the 2nd and 3rd pic in particular, I can see your hair is quite damaged (sorry, you wanted honesty!) if you do want it long, you'll have to change how you treat your hair.

I think your face could carry either long or short hair. I would say though I think you should ditch the bleach and grow it long and natural and see how it goes.

Nes x

Fireweed
August 3rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
You have lovely hair and it well look great long.

LisaB234
August 3rd, 2009, 09:17 AM
I like your color and length in the second picture. As you already predicted, many of us like long hair! ;-) Personally I think the blond color washes you out, but I bet it made your dark eyes pop. . . Your family and friends are correct, though - you can pull off any length you like with your features. Please let us know what your experiment shows you - do we all comment true to our board? You didn't post any really short pictures here, did you on the short hair boards? So fun!! Nice to "meet" you!

spidermom
August 3rd, 2009, 09:23 AM
Welcome to LHC. I think you should be able to reach your goal of 28" even if you keep coloring your hair, especially as you learn ways to take care of it and give it moisture.

Euphony
August 3rd, 2009, 09:28 AM
In the 2nd and 3rd pic in particular, I can see your hair is quite damaged (sorry, you wanted honesty!) if you do want it long, you'll have to change how you treat your hair.

I think your face could carry either long or short hair. I would say though I think you should ditch the bleach and grow it long and natural and see how it goes.

Nes x
I was thinking it looked damaged too - but then I looked at it a bit longer and realized it might not be damage but it could be the OP trying to straighten it. Mine used to poof like that when I'd try to straighten it when I used to straighten it. Then I noticed the OPS's hair type.

fireyfurnace do you happen to have any pictures of your hair in it's natural curly/wurly state? I bet it's beautiful.

The first picture looks the healthiest to me, it's crisp and not bushy looking. The second picture looks good as well in the idea of the hair color - dark hair does look nice on you (I'm so partial to dark hair :D ). The second picture also looks wind tossed, so I really don't know if it would look good combed and curly. The third picture looks pretty poofy and it's the one that made me realize you had curly/wurly hair. The fourth one is also very poofy on top with some cute braids hanging down - again I can't tell if it would look good in this state as it's apparent it's possibly straightenend and possibly teased.

LaFlor
August 3rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
I think you would look good with long healthy hair. It looks pretty damaged in some of the pictures, but with the advice they have on these forums you could definitey learn how to take good care of your hair and work with what you have naturally. You don't have to stay with your natural color. There is plenty of information on changing colors with natural methods here. I hope you decide to grow it long!

spidermom
August 3rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
Oh my; I didn't notice your hair type. Let those curls come out to play!

Roseate
August 3rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
Oh my; I didn't notice your hair type. Let those curls come out to play!

Oh, me neither! That explains the texture: I thought it was damaged straight hair, but it's just straightened curly hair protesting! My hair does that.

I like the bangs on you, and I think you'd look nice with a darker color- the medium brown seems a little too light for your skin and eyes, no contrast. The blonde looks good, but if your hair is dark naturally, you may have trouble growing out while bleaching that much. Especially if you're straightening too.

I like the first and second pictures best. I can squint at the second one and imagine it curly, too, which I like. Welcome to LHC!

fireyfurnace
August 3rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
good advice from everyone!

those who commented on the damage -

I knew this would be a big issue, lol, for the most part colored hair (esp bleaching!!) and long don't mix. I realize this problem could be solved by, ah hem,.. not dying it at all.. but honestly, I can't help it. I get bored really fast! It is also preventing impulsive cutting.

Straightening is also an issue. As some of you have guess, my hair is curly/very wavy - I'm trying to leave it, but I'm currently sporting a 'shag' hair cut, and it doesn't really suit the curly look, unfortunately. I will definitely leave it curly once it grows out a bit...

The blond picture is the most current. I agree dark hair is better for my complexion.

Here are two more pics - sorry the curly one is a bit weird, kind of "photoshopped' but that's the only one I could find! I suppose it's enough to get the idea though.

The other is my natural color, long and straight. I must admit, this is my favorite look of all!

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu341/fireyfurnace/0711080819.jpg

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu341/fireyfurnace/0912071513a.jpg

Coriander
August 3rd, 2009, 04:11 PM
Welcome to LHC :)

Just a suggestion, why don't you try letting your hair curl and wurl for a couple of weeks and see what happens? Do some deep conditioning treatments in the meantime and perhaps try oiling the ends.

heatherdazy
August 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
I think you look good with light or dark hair, but if you want to grow it long, you will need to pick a color and stick with it, so you're only coloring your roots and not your whole head all the time.

Nyghtingale
August 3rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
I love the shopped one.

lundmir
August 3rd, 2009, 06:19 PM
I think you look great on both the blonde and darkest pics, it really suits you. If you're going to dye it no matter what, there's a thread about preventing peroxide damage with coconut oil. It can be done! I go from bluish black to bright red and my hair still loves me, although I don't heat style it ever and I treat it like the most precious lace.
If you like it straight there is also plenty of info on non damaging methods around here. But give your texture a chance, who knows, you might end up loving it!

templeofvenus
August 4th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I loved the pic of you with the two plaits I sooo want mine that long! I have two stumpy bunches so far few more inches to go before I can plait it :)

Kiraela
August 4th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Honestly, the longer, darker hair seems to suit your features better, IMO.

klcqtee
August 4th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I think the first and second pictures are adorable.

Not to be overly harsh, but the shaggy John Denver-esque hair cut in the third makes you look a bit homeless, or like a kid who cut their own hair, and it just couldn't be evened up very well.
(I'm sorry!)

I must say though, you look very good with many different kinds of bangs.

Also, I love your hair wavy! The straightened look was not so good...(Just to give you more advice then you were asking for. ) it looked dead. Not dead as in, all hair is dead, but dead as in, you took a knife and metaphorically stabbed it 46000 times.

fireyfurnace
August 4th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I loved the pic of you with the two plaits I sooo want mine that long! I have two stumpy bunches so far few more inches to go before I can plait it :)

That pic was from about 2 or more years ago... since then I have cut it (and cut it again) right now it is just touching my shoulders, so I'm right there with ya on the stumpy bunches train lol. I wish I could have just left it, it would be down to my butt by now... but, let's not look back, instead we can celebrate our milestones as they come! So.... let's hear it for two stumps!! :bottomsup:

fireyfurnace
August 4th, 2009, 12:26 PM
:D Thank you everyone for the nice compliments and the harsh honestly!! Much much appreciated :D

After sharing the first couple responses with my boyfriend... I got some real answers from him ...

"Yeah, I agree with the suggestions on the forum,... I like your hair curly, you should leave it"

The truth emerges!!