PDA

View Full Version : Developing Blond Ends???

Farina
August 2nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
I noticed the the ends of my hair are almost platinum blond. On closer inspection though, they don't seem to be damaged. I don't see any splits or white dots or really any kind of damage. I trimmed off about an inch because my hair is naturally brown, and the blond ends look kind of silly (imo). Why is this happening?

I work at an outdoor pool lifeguarding 5 days a week and I spend a lot of time in the water. Could this have something to do with it?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

GlassEyes
August 2nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
Yes. That's probably exactly what it is. The sun can do some pretty impressive lightening on medium brown-dark brown hair, especially on the ends.

Shermie Girl
August 2nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
Pool water is really rough on hair and it sounds as if the pool water is bleaching out your ends. You could try a deposit only colour in a shade that matches your natural hair colour to tone your ends back to where they should be.

Taking steps to protect your hair should help prevent that from happening again. You can wet your hair in fresh water to help keep it from absorbing so much pool water. Oiling or applying a leave in can help. As can just making sure it is securely up and/or under a swim cap. Washing your hair or at least rinsing it really well in fresh water as soon as possible after getting out of the water will help, too. I have read that rinsing with club soda also works.

Teacherbear
August 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
This topic is the same one that sent me looking for a long hair discussion board! My ends were much lighter than the hair at my scalp. What I've figured out is that it is from damage. More specifically, my ends were dry. They didn't really look it, or feel it, but that is what was happening.

I started doing CWCC (wet hair, put conditioner on ends, shampoo scalp hair, rinse it all, condition the ends again, rinse, put on leave in conditioner) and my ends started improving.

It was just recently that I realized my ends were so dramatically different from my head-hair.

nienna42
August 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Yup, sun and chlorine will definitely lighten hair, even brown hair. At least you're not naturally blond. There was one summer when I was a kid when I spent almost every day in the pool, because my babysitter had one in her yard. Mom had to chop off about six inches of my hair because it was GRASS GREEN. :lol:

MermaidGirl
August 2nd, 2009, 08:35 PM
... I work at an outdoor pool lifeguarding 5 days a week and I spend a lot of time in the water. Could this have something to do with it? ...

Oh goodness yes! I was a naturally light-blonde-haired child, towheaded as a baby/toddler, and my hair would get plantinum blonde as a kid and teenager from spending time in our pool and then laying out in the sun! Pool water and sun is an awesome combo for bleaching color from hair.

Yup, sun and chlorine will definitely lighten hair, even brown hair. At least you're not naturally blond. There was one summer when I was a kid when I spent almost every day in the pool, because my babysitter had one in her yard. Mom had to chop off about six inches of my hair because it was GRASS GREEN. :lol:

This happened to me too! If my dad had freshly chlorinated the pool, our hair would tint a little on the green side. My mom would put tomato juice or paste on it to get the green out. One time in my early 20s, I was soaking in a hot tub with my boyfriend and he had freshly chlorinated the tub. By that time, I had highlights in my hair and about 6 inches of my ends soaked up the pool water and turned so green (I guess the highlights my made hair quite porous, because my virgin blonde never turned THAT green as a kid!) that they almost had to be cut off! I made my stylist try all sorts of treatments to get the green out, and she did!

LutraLutra
August 3rd, 2009, 03:32 AM
My hair lightens considerably in the sun (and we don't have much sun in the UK!)

Here are my ends in the spring this year, I expect they'd be even lighter now.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/princessaldatma/plum.jpg

Newniepg
August 3rd, 2009, 03:39 AM
I wouldn't worry about it myself, I have very dark brown hair that has a freak streak of blonde at the nape! I dare say the sun is lightening your hair a lot. I personally like variation in colour.

:)

InTheCity
August 3rd, 2009, 05:08 AM
It's gotta be the sun.

I have medium/dark brown hair and my ends are medium/light reddish. Quite a few shades lighter than the hair closest to my scalp.

And not just the sun this summer. Think of the age of your ends, it's the sun over their life time.

florenonite
August 3rd, 2009, 05:41 AM
I have light brown hair with very blonde ends. I worked as a lifeguard the past two summers (one at a pool, one at a summer camp), so the ends bleached remarkably. I wouldn't worry about it, I've never noticed any damage as a result. Just treat your ends well with oiling, etc. ETA: you can really see the difference in my colour in my right siggy pic. It's redder from a henna gloss, but you can still see the brown roots and blonde ends.

drquartz1970
August 3rd, 2009, 05:53 AM
Yeah I got blonde ends too. My hair is naturally light-medium brown with some blonde streaks in it. I don't go swimming in pool water with chlorine in it or in salty sea water so guessing it's probably just from being in the sun, and the ends probably being weathered more because they are the older bits of hair.