PDA

View Full Version : protect the hair from the sun but still let the sun make natural highlights?

brok3nwings
April 13th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Since the sun is comming i think this is the time for me to ask this. Is there any way of protecting your hair and STILL get those natural highlights from the sun? Well, my hair is medium/dark blonde and normally bleaches a lot in the sun if i let me stay enough time to do so. I love the colour i get from it...otherwise i see my colour as a really borring colour. On a regular day should i put some leave in or conditioner mixed with water?
At the beach i spend my time in the sea and there is no way i can take away the salt, so knowing that should i also put some conditioner or would it make even worst?
The option of oiling my hair wouldnt it make the same as it does to skin ? oil and sun and skin results in going home and puting a lot of cream LOL is it the same for hair?
Sorry for all these questions but i would really like to keep my hair moisturised and still not protect it from UV

Alaskanheart
April 13th, 2008, 08:19 PM
The option of oiling my hair wouldnt it make the same as it does to skin ? oil and sun and skin results in going home and puting a lot of cream LOL is it the same for hair?
Sorry for all these questions but i would really like to keep my hair moisturised and still not protect it from UV

Thats something I have wondered myself. I would like to know too as my virgin hair is med/dark blonde too.

Dont feel bad about asking questions, someone is always happy to help around here.:)

brok3nwings
April 13th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Alaskanheart thank you for saying that, i know that we all should dare to make the questions we have but in this case i really dont know if it has been said already AND about the oil it could be a silly question, so im glad you asked yourself the same thing. lets wait for someone that could answer ;)

blondecat
April 14th, 2008, 06:35 AM
You can get protectant pray leave ins for your hair. [sunsilk]

My hair still lightens up even with this stuff.

Do a deep condition on your hair each and everytime you 'sunbake'

ladystar
April 14th, 2008, 06:39 AM
You can get protectant pray leave ins for your hair. [sunsilk]

My hair still lightens up even with this stuff.

Do a deep condition on your hair each and everytime you 'sunbake'

I use sunsilk also. I love it. =)

Sissilonghair
April 14th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Coconut oil can be a good sunscreen for your hair,I have your same problem because I go to the beach for all summer...;)

atlantaz3
April 14th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I thought aloe was supposed to be a sunscreen also - mist with a mix of pure aloe and water? I'm in same boat, dark blonde who likes to run in the summer months, I want the sun lights but not the damage.

brok3nwings
April 14th, 2008, 07:48 AM
blondecat and ladystar thank you for the suggestion but i really would like to try to minimize the damage without having to use someking of sunprotector :) i am really happy when my hair goes really light ( i personally dont like my hair with just one colour..)

Sissilonghair eheh glad to hear! I love staying at the beach doing "nothing". I actually dont have coconut oil, and again, im not looking for "protection" for the bleach im just wondering what could my hair have that would keep it mosturize...like skin anyway, i use a sunblock for my skin but i dont use the strongest one...i let myself go into a bronze colour, my hair wont make me have cancer so im thinking of giving him a lot of conditioner..even on the beach ;) My Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle is super moisturizing so thats gonna be my choice

brok3nwings
April 14th, 2008, 07:51 AM
atlantaz3 yes i think that blondes want the summer to come in to get the hair lighter or at least with highlights, well i think that the sugestions that was given me probably wont protect your hair totally so you would get some lightening somehow... but as i said i will probably simply condition my hair a lot!

Raederle
April 14th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I know I'll be viewed as the wet blanket here, but the same UV radiation that damages your skin, also damages your hair. This (http://www.touchbriefings.com/pdf/846/Maillan.pdf) article explains the process.

Blueglass
April 14th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I really don't see how you can enhance blonde without lift. Unless you mean chamomile or cassia,
but thats' additive. You can use a stronger conditoner or do deep treatments.

ChloeDharma
April 15th, 2008, 01:09 PM
As has been mentioned.....i'd assume that if the hair is reacting to the sun by being lightened then it would indicate some damage.
If the trade off is acceptable to you then i'd say just do lots of deep conditioning treatments to try to replace the moisture lost but i expect it might still end up showing damage.

Or, what about a compromise.....and protecting your hair from the sun, but doing the honey treatments to lighten the hair gently? There's a thread over on the natural products board explaining more about this. Some people also use chamomile rinses to enhance blonde hair.....i used to use it alot years ago and did find it good.

brok3nwings
April 15th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Raederle that is a good article indeed but it seams that the hair protectors after using them you have to wash your hair with sulfates...and i dont use them
blueglass yes thats what im thinking...doing a lot of deep treatments ;P
ChloeDharma thank you for the sugestion but ive already tryed the honey treatment and did nothing for me..and the chamomile rinse doesnt lighten so i will always be happy to have a bit of sun in my hair :D

Now if there is any blonde that doesnt let the hair free with the sun could you please show me your picture? Its because i really think that my hair would be such a borring colour without the sun...

spidermom
April 15th, 2008, 01:43 PM
You might do well to protect those ends but let the sun shine on the rest. I will often braid and wrap the ends with ribbon. I like sunny highlights, too, although I'm getting so much silver that I don't need the sun to lighten my hair anymore.

brok3nwings
April 15th, 2008, 03:06 PM
spidermom your hair is beautiful! that is a great suggestion..but as i am normally always on the sea or something maybe i could buy those leave ins that protect from UV and just put it on my ends...i just dont know but from what i´ve understood from the article we need to wash it after with sulfates :(

Riot Crrl
April 15th, 2008, 03:13 PM
It has been my understanding that there's no approved SPF rating system for hair protection, and the legitimacy of product claims to provide UV protection is a little sketchy.

spidermom
April 15th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I had a lot of vacation time last summer and spent it in resorts on the ocean, so I was in chlorinated pools and the sea for weeks. I drenched my hair with UV-protection conditioner and/or coconut oil every day and braided it as tight as I could manage. It didn't fully protect my hair, however. By March of this year, my ends were literally unravelling. I had so many split ends! I had it cut back 3-4 inches.

It was totally worth it, though. (and thanks for the compliment ... blush)

Shell
April 15th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I let my hair get sun highlights. It is true that the bottom 3 inches or so are drier than the rest, but to me, it's worth it, as I like the highlights. I have also managed to get it to classic--so not that bad.

I am using a lot of extra conditioner and cocoa butter--so far so good. I'm hoping that the very light henna gloss I did will strengthen my hair, and yet still let a few highlights through--we'll see.

xrosiex
April 15th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Shell your hair has beatiful highlights! And Its so shinny. I love the sun too and I also like the highlights from the sun in my hair. I use alot of extra condioner and also more coconut oil. I just hope not to get to much damage.

brok3nwings
April 15th, 2008, 05:06 PM
spidermom at least i dont go to swimming pools that often...i like more the sea :D
shell and xrosiex both of you have lovely lovely lovely hair colour! And i can perfectly understand why you also like the natural highlights..its curious because normally brunetts dont like to have their hair with highlights because it goes a bit orangy...but blondes normaly do like because it gives more movement and the colour is much intersting in my opinion. Shell im sure your hair will have highlights at the same as you only did henna glosses! And xrosiex your hair has THAT perfect brown colour :) some day i will have my hair as beautiful as yours :P :P you bet!! ehe joking im a bit jealous its true

WritingPrincess
April 15th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Spidermom, I swam twice a week this winter. Did you wear a bathing cap? Also, I like the highlights that the sun gives me, but we live far away from any beaches so I don't get lots of them.

Shell
April 15th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks xrosiex and brok3nwings! I like the variation in color that I get--though I admit that sometimes it looks strange in updos. I do my best to minimize damage--but I guess it's a trade off.

spidermom
April 16th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Spidermom, I swam twice a week this winter. Did you wear a bathing cap? Also, I like the highlights that the sun gives me, but we live far away from any beaches so I don't get lots of them.

No bathing cap. I had one in the past when my hair was much shorter and HATED the thing. I'm contemplating getting another one before I do more swimming ... but I don't know.

brok3nwings
April 16th, 2008, 09:20 AM
spidermom i hate bathing cap also...it takes me a lot of hairs! And...i think it looks stupid (yeah hit me on this..but i really think it is UGLY)
About oiling ...you say coconut oil will protect the hair..what about jojoba oil (its the only one i have) ??... And no sense from what i said in the begining about oil and sun burning the hair as it does for skin?

Alaskanheart
April 16th, 2008, 10:00 AM
??... And no sense from what i said in the begining about oil and sun burning the hair as it does for skin?

Im still curious about this as well.

If oil burns skin when applied during sunbathing, does oil cause the hair to burn in the same way?Maybe noone knows?

Katze
April 16th, 2008, 10:00 AM
This is a question that I've been wondering too. We are all hoping for sun this summer, as the last two years had little to none.

My natural hair color in sunlight is in my profile/avatar pic. Kind of like Shell's. It doesn't seem to get highlights from the sun very easily...compared to, say, my BF, who gets platinum streaks naturally in the sun, though his hair is only a tiny shade lighter than mine, he's considered "blonde" and I'm not.

The honey thing didn't work for me, either on my two-tone hair or BF's virgin hair. I guess some people swear by it, but I've never seen convincing side-by-side pics.

The last time I tried lemon I got terrible chemical burns in the sun. If you are as fair as I am, lemon+ sun is a bad combo.

I'm hoping that my roots will get lighter if I expose them to the sun - that since my hair is mostly virgin, it will do the same thing that BF's virgin hair does. I'd like to swim more, but will wear a bathing cap (yuk...even the silicone ones) if I do.

spidermom
April 16th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I am not positive about this, but I don't think having oil in your hair will make it burn IF you are using the best oils (such as coconut, olive). They are absorbed, not sitting on the surface. If you were smothering your hair with baby oil, that would probably be different.

brok3nwings
April 16th, 2008, 10:15 AM
well lets wait for some answers...i havent used oil in my hair before january this year so i have no experience with oil and sun myself!

Other thing that i dont know if you experience the same but.. my hair gets a lot more highlights if i have salt in my hair...when i am at the beach and i swim a lot on the sea..and i stay at the sea about one hour (yes it is warm sea and it is great to stay in ;P ) my hair seams to react with the water, salt and sun and gets blond quicker then just sun directly with my dry hair... i think that it happens the same with the skin...when i was younger i could get better colour and bronze because i just stayed all day inside the sea!

spidermom
April 16th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I was reading some of the questions about hair and oil on the Ask website, and it said that the warmth of the sun will help olive oil to penetrate the hair better, enhancing the conditioning effect and thus a great idea for counter-acting the damaging effects of sun exposure. It didn't mention other oils.

brok3nwings
April 16th, 2008, 11:09 AM
spidermom that is intersting, thank you for the information !

Riot Crrl
April 16th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I have a swim cap method that may help with them.

The lycra caps (like made out of swimsuit material) are useless and will fall off in two seconds, but they do not pull hair. The latex or silicone caps are much better at keeping water out, and staying on, but they pull and break hair like one giant rubber band.

So I combined the two.

Saturate hair with tapwater; saturate lycra cap with tapwater. Coil hair so that it follows head shape as much as possible, as opposed to creating a bun that sticks out. Cover hair with lycra cap. Cover lycra cap with latex or silicone cap. Ensure latex/silicone cap is covering lycra cap completely, and it should be contacting skin all the way around beyond the edge of the lycra cap for the best seal.

Alaskanheart
April 16th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks Spidermom for the info , the oil sitting on top vs the oil absorption makes sense . So I guess we just need to be careful to use an oil that is easily absorbed, like Coconute, camillia, olive, jojoba?

I dont think im going to spend alot of time in the sun this summer, but I have wondered about this ever since finding LHC.lol

maskedrose
April 16th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Do your hair darken over the winter all over or does the length retain your summer highlights? My hair lightens considerably in the summer, and stays that way through the winter, so all I have to worry about really is lightening the darker roots every summer. Usually I keep the length protected (either in a updo or with a protecting spray), and just let the roots lighten. Also, try Lush's Marilyn mask if you want some nice highlights while moisturizing - it has chamomile, marigold, and lemon to lighten mixed with some nice deeply moisurizing ingredients.