PDA

View Full Version : I have good new, bad news and a question

Poetic
August 2nd, 2009, 02:44 PM
So this weekend was to be all about pampering my hair. My hair unfortunately decided not to play nice. Though I took it down carefully from the braids I had it in, untangled it, my hair decided it would tangled back onto itself (as I had not pinned the hair away in sections as I went). I was able to place the hair back in braids . . . spent the next three days going braid by braid untangling and washing it.

The process being a slow one I had no choice but to pay close attention to my hair. I have not looked closely at my hair for a year . . . not since I lost a lot of length as a result of matting.

It turns out my hair from just above my ears back has mostly grown to hip-length.:agape::hollie::happydance: This it not far from where it was a year ago. There are however two issues: much of the hair in the front is at waist length, and sections (small sections) within the hair at hip-length are but 5 or 6 inches long. I am not sure if this is the result of hair I may have lost a year ago or new hair that has been growing in since that time.:confused: One can only notice these small sections if one stretches the hair out.

I am wondering if my hair will ever recover and return to one length.

Have any of you ever lost hair to damage and been able to gain back both its health and length. I am wondering if I should give it another year of growing and see where I am next summer. (My hair is always tucked away) Or is it better to cut the length back, maybe to waist-length and go from there.

Thanks in advance for any advice.:)

frodolaughs
August 2nd, 2009, 02:56 PM
Wow! Your hair grows FAST.
Because not all the hair on your head grows at the same time, everyone always has some hair that's shorter than others. If, as you say, the difference is only noticeable if you're actively stretching the hair out and looking for it, I think you should consider yourself lucky, and your hair healthy, and leave it alone. And if your hair grows that fast, why not tuck it away and see where it is in a year? You can always trim it later if you want.

redwoman
August 2nd, 2009, 04:10 PM
I vote for small trims every other month to allow the shorter stuff to catch up. Its your hair though so do what you can live with.

coppercurls
August 2nd, 2009, 08:56 PM
Because not all the hair on your head grows at the same time, everyone always has some hair that's shorter than others. If, as you say, the difference is only noticeable if you're actively stretching the hair out and looking for it, I think you should consider yourself lucky, and your hair healthy, and leave it alone. And if your hair grows that fast, why not tuck it away and see where it is in a year? You can always trim it later if you want.

I like that approach too. I wish my hair would grow that fast!;)

Poetic
August 2nd, 2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks everyone. :) :flower: I do consider myself lucky . . . very. This is just a new issue for me, so that I am not sure how it is to be handled.:shrug: Tucking my hair away, I am hoping it works.:rolleyes::pray:

Poetic
August 2nd, 2009, 09:52 PM

I like that approach too. I wish my hair would grow that fast!;)

Is this fast growth? You might misunderstand. It may be that I have simply written badly. But the location of the hair is at the area just in front of my ears, going back to my nape . . . not the length (if this is the impression my words gave). This hair was somewhat above waist-length a year ago.:o

Gypsygirl
August 2nd, 2009, 11:51 PM
Your growth rate is absolutely amazing!!! :shocked:

Debra83
August 3rd, 2009, 12:53 AM
Your growth rate is absolutely amazing!!! :shocked:

no, no - it didn't grow from ears to hip (I thought so too), read her post right above yours. :)

Gypsygirl
August 3rd, 2009, 03:15 AM
Oh, ok...thanks... :D I'm ready for a vacation, I think. ;)