PDA

View Full Version : Milkmaid style for a cruise

Patty lou
August 2nd, 2009, 11:32 AM
Hubby and I are going to take a long cruise, and I was thinking of wearing my hair in Milkmaid braid style. ( 2 braids pinned across the top of my head )
Do you gals think this would be OK ?????????
I do have a couple of pairs of bobby pins with pearls attached and also some faux
diamonds for the dressy nights in the dining room.

Any othe Ideas I am open too.

Patty lou

AmyJorgensen
August 2nd, 2009, 11:39 AM
Do you mean you want to wear it that way the whole trip or what? ( I might wear it that way once or twice, but probably not every day of a long cruise.)

AmyJorgensen
August 2nd, 2009, 11:40 AM
I'm kind of impressed that you can do that at BSL...if that is where you are still at.

Patty lou
August 2nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
Iwas planning on wearing it that way most days as it's a comfortable and practical style, also will the little pins (not bobby) ones set off the metal detector at the airport??????????

Patty lou

spidermom
August 2nd, 2009, 12:05 PM
Iwas planning on wearing it that way most days as it's a comfortable and practical style, also will the little pins (not bobby) ones set off the metal detector at the airport??????????

Patty lou

They might, but it will be pretty easy to narrow down what did it. I wish I could get braids to stay pinned!

Gypsygirl
August 2nd, 2009, 12:07 PM
They might, but even if they do, it probably won't be a problem. Just tell them. I've set that thing off so many times...and sometimes it's not easy to find out what is causing the alarm. But those boys are usually very patient with me. :)

Bellalalala
August 2nd, 2009, 01:15 PM
Careful, I've had security ask me to take down my hair and ask to touch it, because apparently I could be hiding something in my messy bun!!!

I said no, and they oh so politely informed me that I would not be allowed through security.

This was for a small, 2 hour flight within Canada!

Granted, I have never ever heard of this happening to anyone else, and it was October 2001.

Amara
August 2nd, 2009, 01:28 PM
I would wear it like that for days on end - taking the braids down at night sometimes to brush them out and redo them, and repinning in the morning. I would think that'd be pretty comfy - and you're right - you could dress it up if needed.

ericthegreat
August 2nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
That's a great style to experiment with! Especially on a cruise ship where everyone will be all relaxed and carefree. I do think tho that if you are using the metal bobby pins to secure them you may want to get the braids done after your flight to your cruise departure point. Security in many major airports now is very tight, and any hint of uncooperativeness or even giving them too much of of a hassle would not be a good thing to do especially now in a post 9/11 world.

Or if you can remove the pins out of the braids without taking out the style and then be able to put them back in after going thro the metal detectors, sure go for it!

Wicked Princess
August 2nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
Hahaha. I don't think it would be too much of a problem.

I went on a cruise in March, and had to go through a metal detector in order to get on the ship. I remove my keys, camera, etc, and casually walk through the detector...and it beeps at me. Confused, I also removed my jacket and belt, and casually walked through the detector...and it beeps at me again!

I blink...there's not a whole lot I can take off at this point. I ask the security person if I should take off my flip flop sandals, as the straps did had funky bits on them that looked metallic. The security person said that she thought that my shoes couldn't possibly be the culprit, but that I should remove them anyway to see if that helps. So I remove my shoes and walk casually through the detector...

...and it beeps at me.

At this point, I hear someone from several places behind the line yell, "It's her hair clip!" The security person and I both do double takes, because it really never occurred to us that it would be coming from my head, haha. She waved the wand over my clip, which was shaped like a large, silvery metal butterfly. It beeped. She rolled her eyes, laughed, and waved me through.

In conclusion...even if the pins set of the metal detector, (and I don't think they will. Bobby pins usually won't, but I can't speak for other pins), I don't think it would be too inconvenient for you to show them that that was the culprit. :)

Roseate
August 2nd, 2009, 02:51 PM
Sounds like a cute style- @ the metal detector question, it depends on your airport and where you are flying to.

Closer to 2001, I had to do things like remove my underwire bra and take down buns secured by large metal pins (3" roller pins), to prove there was nothing dangerous hidden in my hair. :D I have big hair, I guess you could stash some stuff in there!

But I haven't had to do anything like that for several years. Now they are more likely to just wave the wand at your head and believe you that it's just hairpins, and many detectors are set low enough to miss them entirely. Still, easier to just avoid the issue.

masterofmidgets
August 2nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
Milkmaid braids are one of my favorite styles for traveling (or any other time I want to make absolutely sure my hair is going to stay up and out of the way). I think they are cute and really comfortable, especially if you are going to active, swimming, etc. As far as airport security goes, if you are worried, just take the pins out and put them in the dish with your keys - it's certainly less trouble pinning the braids back up than trying to redo a bun while you are dashing through the airport with all your luggage.:D

ZenBird07
August 2nd, 2009, 09:02 PM
They might, but it will be pretty easy to narrow down what did it. I wish I could get braids to stay pinned!

I know keep mentioning this in most of my comments on here but I am surprised at the seeming un-awareness about it. My point: you don't have to use pins. Italian Rennaissance Hair Taping looks gorgeous and doesn't require pinning. The concept of it is sort of like sewing the braid through the hair to the head with ribbon. You can look it up on-line it was relatively easy for me to find... In fact I might've found it on here. I don't remember. Good luck, I wish I could do it with my unwilling locks...:)

klcqtee
August 2nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
I think it really depends on how suspicious you look in regards to setting off the metal detector. I can go through with change, rings, earings, underwire bras, hair clips, and even a belt! It has only gone off on me once. They looked at me, and said just go ahead. Talk about tough security! :rolleyes:

My dad on the other hand is always chosen for the "random screening" and is then stripped down to his underwear and socks. They asked to feel is calves before because they though they were fake! :laugh:

bugeyedmonster2
August 2nd, 2009, 11:14 PM
I'm kind of impressed that you can do that at BSL...if that is where you are still at.

I'm at tailbone(?) and it's gotten hard for me to do that. If I do two braids and wrap them on my head, they fall off. I've found that one braid wrapped around my head works better and it stays. (I got the idea from Little Town on the Prairie where it's mentioned about Laura unpinning her single braid, combing and then repining the braid around her head.)

(^_^)/
BEM

bugeyedmonster2
August 2nd, 2009, 11:16 PM

Have you tried doing just one single braid and pinning that around your head?

(^_^)/
BEM

bugeyedmonster2
August 2nd, 2009, 11:22 PM
Sounds like a cute style- @ the metal detector question, it depends on your airport and where you are flying to.

Closer to 2001, I had to do things like remove my underwire bra

Oh, I'd hate to have to do that! Here in Dallas there is bit problem with removing clothing articles, as you have to do it right there at the security booth in public! Several women claim that they felt humiliated having to remove their shirts in public.

There is a reason I hate to fly now.

(^_^)/
BEM

florenonite
August 3rd, 2009, 06:06 AM
My first thought was: won't you get sunburnt on your scalp? I have no idea what your skin's like or where you're going, but for me anywhere sunny and I try to cover my part with my hair :p

If you've got a big straw hat you could do your hair like that and cover it, or with a scarf, but I'd be wary of going out in the sun with parted hair and no protection.

Anje
August 3rd, 2009, 07:01 AM
My first thought was: won't you get sunburnt on your scalp? I have no idea what your skin's like or where you're going, but for me anywhere sunny and I try to cover my part with my hair :p

If you've got a big straw hat you could do your hair like that and cover it, or with a scarf, but I'd be wary of going out in the sun with parted hair and no protection.

I'd also be concerned about burning your scalp. That said, I've burned mine even without a part, and over a wider area than a part would explain. You might want to find a pretty hat to take on the cruise, just in case!

bugeyedmonster2
August 4th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Anje and florenonite have a good point about sunburn. You can use an umbrella if hats aren't your thing. I've seen those packable straw hats that reform after you crush them. Or use a scarf.

(^_^)/
BEM

JamieLeigh
August 5th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I think that's a really cute style, and that it would be a great idea. It would also keep the hair off of your neck, which would feel much better on a cruise. I hope you enjoy it! :flower:

Spike
August 5th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Milkmaid braids for day wear sound awesome--no fuss, no problem, and who cares about the wind?

At night, for a fancier look, maybe a braided bun? Or use the body generated by braid waves for a wavy updo?

bugeyedmonster2
August 6th, 2009, 12:46 PM
With the mentions of a hat, I was trying to find a link with pinned braids that would fit under a hat.

Maybe like this, but with them pinned a bit lower? (Though it looks like they are held in place with barrettes.)http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?q=hair+-bea+source:life&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhair%2B-bea%2Bsource:life%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%2 6start%3D140&imgurl=8b624edca996af9e

That said, I have seen this older woman riding the bus who would put her hair in sort of a sideways bun (not sure if it was an infinity bun) under her wide brimmed straw hat with a jaw clip.

Ideas?

(^_^)/
BEM