PDA

View Full Version : I dont know what color my hair is

redneckprincess
August 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
I can see it but I just dont know what its called, the camera wont capture it correctly at all, its light brownish-red, my bio mom used to call it dirty dishwater strawberry blonde. But I want a real name/color. what do I do?

LittleOrca
August 2nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
How about Auburn? That covers an array of reddish-brown and reddish-blonde colors. Or you can go to the hair-dye isle, find the color that best matches you, and call yourself that color. :shrug: :D

spidermom
August 2nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Oh yuck; I hate that term "dirty dishwater". It does sound like you have a shade of auburn.

Gypsygirl
August 2nd, 2009, 12:10 PM
You could call it amber. Auburn is probably a shade or two darker than yours. :)

heatherdazy
August 2nd, 2009, 12:13 PM
Or you can go to the hair-dye isle, find the color that best matches you, and call yourself that color. :shrug: :D
This was going to be my suggestion. If there's a Sally's near you, they have extensive color swatches and one of the employees will probably help you figure out which is closest to your color. Ignore the color names... if you're a level 7 or higher, consider yourself blonde or strawberry blonde. If it's a 6 or lower, you're a brunette or reddish brown.

Rohele
August 2nd, 2009, 12:15 PM
Ooh - I like "amber". I vote for amber.

It sounds more like a dark golden blonde/golden brown colour than "dishwater" (I hate that description for hair colour, along with "mousy").

spidermom
August 2nd, 2009, 12:22 PM
You could call it amber. Auburn is probably a shade or two darker than yours. :)

There are light auburns, too.

LutraLutra
August 2nd, 2009, 12:28 PM
I think 'amber' sounds very pretty.

Re auburn, Wikipedia says -

'Auburn is a light brown or reddish brown hair colour (and subsequently colour), and may be described as somewhere between brown, blonde, and red hair. Auburn comes Old French alborne, which meant blond, from Latin alburnus, "off-white". The first recorded use of auburn in English was in 1430. In hair colour, auburn is frequently misused as a synonym for red. The chemicals which cause auburn hair are phaeomelanin and high levels of brown eumelanin. It is common in Europe but rare elsewhere. '

I'm dark auburn, and like Spidermom says you sound like you're light auburn. You get light and dark variations in all colours. :)

spidermom
August 2nd, 2009, 12:30 PM
Ooh - I like "amber". I vote for amber.

It sounds more like a dark golden blonde/golden brown colour than "dishwater" (I hate that description for hair colour, along with "mousy").

I've never thought of amber as having any red in it; mine doesn't (the jewel) - it's golden-yellow.

Lady Mary
August 2nd, 2009, 12:34 PM
How about Auburn? That covers an array of reddish-brown and reddish-blonde colors. Or you can go to the hair-dye isle, find the color that best matches you, and call yourself that color. :shrug: :D

That's what I do, look around at the swatches and see what brand matches best and call my hair that color. They usually have a pretty good selection of swatches, depending on the store (like Sallys has a pretty good range for example.)

dernhelm
August 2nd, 2009, 01:18 PM
Ohh, another vote for 'amber'!

I, too, hate when people refer to hair as 'dishwater' color.

Amara
August 2nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
I like the idea of going in and comparing your hair to swatches. You'll get lots of fun adjectives and nouns that way I bet. :)

florenonite
August 2nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
You sound like you might be a tawny; at least to me "tawny" encompasses both light auburn colours as well as cooler ash colours. Tawny's essentially that colour between blonde and brown :p

ChrissieM
August 2nd, 2009, 02:10 PM
tawny copper?

pradabacon
August 2nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
I like the idea of going in and comparing your hair to swatches. You'll get lots of fun adjectives and nouns that way I bet. :)

I agree! My hair is now officially 'Espresso'! :cheese:

pradabacon
August 2nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Here's a link to a hair color chart. I'm trying to find some more. This is kinda fun!

http://www.laceremywigs.com/haircolorchart.htm

ETA: This one has some delicious-sounding names. Do you want delicious hair? :D

http://www.digitalretouch.org/3edition/downloads/ch_09/ch9_haircolor_chart.jpg

wintersun99
August 2nd, 2009, 03:15 PM

Rohele
August 2nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
I've never thought of amber as having any red in it; mine doesn't (the jewel) - it's golden-yellow.

I have a big chunk that I use as a pendant. Mine is kind of a orangey-brown colour. I've also seen greenish amber too. I guess "amber" could cover a large range of colours. :)

redneckprincess
August 2nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
thanks everyone Amber sounds nice, at least nicer then dirty dishwater, I always hated that maybe thats why I never before embraced my red. Thanks again I will go check the link...it might be a Medium golden brown acording to that chart

Dotlover
August 2nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
why don't you take a pic of your roots area so we can see it better.

if you can't capture a good image of your roots where your natural hair color is then..... how about a best guess based on what you know about your hair.

Dotlover
August 2nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Oh Ha I see that you've already decided on a color then, good =)

spidermom
August 2nd, 2009, 06:54 PM
Your color might be lighter than you think as it grows out; roots often look more dark than they really are, plus if you get outside in the sun at all, you're going to get highlights.

Speckla
August 2nd, 2009, 07:24 PM
Amber is a pretty name. You could call it Steve. That's another pretty name. :D

pradabacon
August 2nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
^^^ http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/rofl.gif

I've changed my mind. Now my hair is called Fred.

Heavenly Locks
August 2nd, 2009, 09:07 PM
Is it sort of like mine? Mine's a reddish lighter brown too...

florenonite
August 2nd, 2009, 09:29 PM
Amber is a pretty name. You could call it Steve. That's another pretty name. :D

I think I'll call my hair Stella.

wintersun99
August 2nd, 2009, 09:46 PM

pradabacon
August 2nd, 2009, 09:46 PM
^^^ My dad's name is Herb! It's a funny name. http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/upsidedown.gif

Stella is looking just lovely in your siggy, florenonite! :laugh:

florenonite
August 2nd, 2009, 09:54 PM
^^^ My dad's name is Herb! It's a funny name. http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/upsidedown.gif

Stella is looking just lovely in your siggy, florenonite! :laugh:

Thank you :)

aksown
August 2nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
Okay, as if my everyday conversations weren't confusing enough. "So, I did a CO wash and I want to do an S&D tonight before I oil the length. By the way, you have a very nice hemline. That's kind of what I want George to look like when I'm done growing out."

aksown
August 2nd, 2009, 09:59 PM
Oops, I did have something to contribute to the thread. What about "tawny". I like the sound of that word. It's the color of lion.

florenonite
August 2nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
Okay, as if my everyday conversations weren't confusing enough. "So, I did a CO wash and I want to do an S&D tonight before I oil the length. By the way, you have a very nice hemline. That's kind of what I want George to look like when I'm done growing out."

:spitting:

Mabel Grey
August 2nd, 2009, 10:02 PM

Too Funny! My grandfather was a George. He was always confused. I love it. My hair is always confused.

Gypsygirl
August 2nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
You guys crack me up! :D

Your color might be lighter than you think as it grows out; roots often look more dark than they really are, plus if you get outside in the sun at all, you're going to get highlights.

Yes, I second that!

redneckprincess
August 3rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
why don't you take a pic of your roots area so we can see it better.

if you can't capture a good image of your roots where your natural hair color is then..... how about a best guess based on what you know about your hair.

I cant get the camera to capture the color right at all

Your color might be lighter than you think as it grows out; roots often look more dark than they really are, plus if you get outside in the sun at all, you're going to get highlights. it does seem to be getting lighter and lighter as it grows, I thought it was going to be black at first, lol

Is it sort of like mine? Mine's a reddish lighter brown too... from what I can see with your pictures it is something like your color...I will have to look at some of your pics maybe

Oops, I did have something to contribute to the thread. What about "tawny". I like the sound of that word. It's the color of lion. I never liked the sound of that word, Its wierd...tawny. lol

Speckla
August 3rd, 2009, 09:51 AM
Take an outside picture with the flash off. You might get a better idea.

redneckprincess
August 3rd, 2009, 10:00 AM
Take an outside picture with the flash off. You might get a better idea.
I will have to try that one later though my hair is still air drying after my shower this morning and dry hair would work best for a pic...maybe I will have one of the kids help take pics. good idea thanks

Anje
August 3rd, 2009, 10:25 AM
I'll add a vote for comparing to the little hair swatches in the dye section. I'm officially "lightest auburn," but no one would mistake my natural color for anything blond (or brown, even under fluorescent lights when I think it looks brown and needs more henna!).

Outside of that, I like color names like amber, honey, copper, bronze, topaz.

JamieRose
August 3rd, 2009, 10:34 AM
I'll add a vote for comparing to the little hair swatches in the dye section. I'm officially "lightest auburn," but no one would mistake my natural color for anything blond (or brown, even under fluorescent lights when I think it looks brown and needs more henna!).

Outside of that, I like color names like amber, honey, copper, bronze, topaz.

Oooh, I've never heard of bronze being used to describe a hair color before. I vote for that.

redneckprincess
August 3rd, 2009, 01:08 PM
the sun is not out much today and its pretty windy so here are a couple pics I got outside without a flash...what do you think?

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll211/redneckprincess78/stuff%20hair/Picture014-1.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll211/redneckprincess78/stuff%20hair/Picture013.jpg

ETA: all the manic Panic red is gone this is my natural color(the flash can make it show up in pics though, thats why I did these without flash)

florenonite
August 3rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
That looks like a lighter auburn to me.

spidermom
August 3rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
It looks like a shade of light auburn to me. Pretty.

redneckprincess
August 3rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
thank you so much for your insite, I like the sound of that better ♥