PDA

View Full Version : Can I be a COer and Use Cones?

CavyQueen
August 2nd, 2009, 09:50 AM
Hi! I read the "Cones" article by pariate. I read that cones are hydrophobic and can prevent your conditioner from penetrating the hair. All of my conditioners have cones and I do not want to switch because I have gotten wonderful results with them. My usual hair routine is to do a heavy oiling, shampoo it out with a sulfate-free shampoo, and then do a deep treatment. However, last night I washed the oil out with a cone CO and loved it! Can I become a CO washer if all my conditioners have cones? Will using a cone conditioner prevent the oil, conditioner, and deep treatments from working? Would shampooing one a week prevent this? What does everyone think? Thank you. :)

demitasse
August 2nd, 2009, 10:00 AM
Short answer: Yes. There are CO-washers who use a coney conditioner. Some need to clarify periodically to remove the buildup. Others don't experience buildup. Different cones do different things. You really just have to try it and see what works for you.

ericthegreat
August 2nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
Of course you can CavyQueen! The thing is that many people have found that products with cones tend to build up in their hair. Eventually, the buildup will actually feel quite noticeable and their hair will in the long run become more brittle and harder, maybe even more prone to breakage. This is why they avoid all products with cones and why they clarify.

However, everyone's individual hair type is different. For some people cones don't bother them so as long as they clarify with a clarifying shampoo or an apple cider or vinegar rinse. So if you have found that your hair likes cones then by all mean go for it!

Longlocks3
August 2nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
Of course you can use cones! I hope you didn't think I was knocking cones in my PM to you! My hair just doesn't care either way.

I'd say go for it, but if you start to see build up or limp hair then you will need to remove the build up. I use apple cider vinegar rinses once in a while. One thing to keep in mind is a diluted ACV rinse will not remove old build up. It is to help restore the pH balance of the hair and to remove any stuff from that particular wash. Lots of old cone build up may require a harder detergent.

I know SLS can remove most cones but it's also hard on the scalp IMO.

LittleOrca
August 2nd, 2009, 11:28 AM
I CO and I use cones. It is just what my hair likes. I do cleanse and remove the build up, since my swimmer's shampoo is an SLS, but not washing with that everyday (unless I swim everyday) keeps my scalp just fine.

CavyQueen
August 2nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Of course you can use cones! I hope you didn't think I was knocking cones in my PM to you! My hair just doesn't care either way.

I'd say go for it, but if you start to see build up or limp hair then you will need to remove the build up. I use apple cider vinegar rinses once in a while. One thing to keep in mind is a diluted ACV rinse will not remove old build up. It is to help restore the pH balance of the hair and to remove any stuff from that particular wash. Lots of old cone build up may require a harder detergent.

I know SLS can remove most cones but it's also hard on the scalp IMO.

Hi! Do you think conditioners and deep treatments will still be able to work/penetrate the hair between clarifying?

banglaminerva
August 2nd, 2009, 12:25 PM
I CO with coney Pantene daily, oil 2 to 3 times a week plus a deep heated oil treatment once a week. My hair does get shampooed about once every 5-6 weeks when I go in to get my roots colored. This routine works for me for, so you just need to figure out what works for you.

Longlocks3
August 2nd, 2009, 02:26 PM
Hi! Do you think conditioners and deep treatments will still be able to work/penetrate the hair between clarifying?

I'm not an expert but from what I got from reading about cones is they 'seal' the hair. So it may reduce penetration of conditioner/deep treatments.

Here's a quote summarized from the 'to cone or not cone' article:

Pro:
- provides slip
- prevents tangles and breakage as a result
- makes the hair shiny
- locks moisture into the hair

Contra:
- is likely to build up on the hair
- cannot be removed without detergents
- can lock moisture out of the hair (obviously...)
- might not work for everyone

So if your going to use cones and do deep treatments I'd say do them after you clarify but before you use cones again. That's confusing isn't it:confused:

Tap Dancer
August 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM
I don't pay attention to ingredients when I buy stuff. I'm sure most of my conditioners have cones in them.

AJoifulNoise
August 2nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Not only do I CO with cones (herbal essences), but I also use coconut oil. And, it still penetrates the hair and makes it silky soft. So, yeah, it is possible to CO with cones. But you won't know if it works for you until you try.

ReddishRocks
August 2nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
I'm not an expert but from what I got from reading about cones is they 'seal' the hair. So it may reduce penetration of conditioner/deep treatments.

Here's a quote summarized from the 'to cone or not cone' article:

Pro:
- provides slip
- prevents tangles and breakage as a result
- makes the hair shiny
- locks moisture into the hair

Contra:
- is likely to build up on the hair
- cannot be removed without detergents
- can lock moisture out of the hair (obviously...)
- might not work for everyone

So if your going to use cones and do deep treatments I'd say do them after you clarify but before you use cones again. That's confusing isn't it:confused:

I'm CO and I only use PEG-modified 'cones occasionally. :) That said, I agree with the advice that one should clarify before using a deep treatment - it just makes sense to me so that moisture and proteins can penetrate the hair shaft better. To clarify 'cones, all you really need is a generic sodium lauryl sulfate shampoo. You can also remove silicones with cocamidopropyl betaine or cocobetaine, both of which are more mild surfactants.

(source: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/whats-the-scoop-on-silicones and http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products )

Carolyn
August 2nd, 2009, 04:00 PM
If you find you get build up, then just do a clarifying wash. I've been CO'ing for a long time now and use conditioners with cones in my second conditioner with good results. I don't remember if I've used a coney conditioner for the first (washing) step.

redwoman
August 2nd, 2009, 04:07 PM
My two cents worth is this, if it works for you-then go for it! I use shampoo and gobs of coney conditioner in my hair. Makes it nice and slick for an easy comb out. For what its worth.

Siava
August 2nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Short answer: Yes. There are CO-washers who use a coney conditioner. Some need to clarify periodically to remove the buildup. Others don't experience buildup. Different cones do different things. You really just have to try it and see what works for you.

Agreed. :)

CavyQueen
August 2nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
Thank you eveyone!!!