PDA

View Full Version : Styles for horse riding

maria_asa
August 2nd, 2009, 04:21 AM
I will start riding next week and I need ideas on protective styles that work with a helmet. Last time I was riding was ten years ago and then my hair was only shoulder length and hair styles where obviously not a problem.

The only style I can think of right now is an English braid but I don’t like the idea of it hanging down my back rubbing the whole time. I’m also going to wear a safety vest (don’t know if that’s what’s it called in English but it’s like this (http://www.hooks.se/product.aspx?productid=230249&deptid=83&sortType=sortPopularitet&sortOrder=DESC)) with Velcro that I don’t want my hair stuck in.

Natalia
August 2nd, 2009, 04:35 AM
Hmmm i dont know if it would work with a horse helmet as i havent been riding in quite a while but what i do with hats is gather my hair into a pony, smooth the length, then twist as if you a cinnabun but DONT spiral just let it twist itself into a little log. I usually clip it with a flexi and push the short ends into my hat but you could easily tie it off with a band and seeing the length of you hair double up the log if it gets in the way. If i twist it tight it doesnt swing much so i wouldnt think it would get caught in your vest but who knows :shrug:. Hope that helps some :). Have a great time riding im jelous!

SimplyLonghair
August 2nd, 2009, 04:35 AM
Depending on the helmet you could do a low riding nape bun of some sort. Or make a sort of hair glove over a braid like motorcyclists wear.

Phalaenopsis
August 2nd, 2009, 05:17 AM
The best style that worked for me is ponytail and putting some elastics around my tail again down the length. The best riding style for me is a French braid, but you can't wear that with a cap.

What you also can do is to make an English braid and fold it. Then you have a shorter stump hanging down.

Darkhorse1
August 2nd, 2009, 06:54 AM
Folded braid.
This is what I use when I show.

Do a low english braid, secure with tie. Then, fold it under until it's at shoulder length and use a scrunchie to secure. NEVER bun hair or make it so thick at the nape because it will make the helmet tip forward, affecting the fit and purpose/safety.

I also ride in a body protector, but mine doesn't have the velcro, it has ties. Velcro is a pain! I think you can cover it using tape or something natural though to prevent hair grabbing.

You could also do 2 english braids, but if you are riding in a lesson, that will smack you in the face when you jump or do sitting trot/canter in dressage. If you are just going on a trail ride, that may work.

I use a vented helmet this time of year and it's large enough to fit my hair up into, but make sure you don't compramise the fit of the helmet.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. This is my life. Hair and horses ;) :)

(I'm off to a show though so won't be back on untli later tonight, EST)

GeoJ
August 2nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
I also started riding again recently after a long gap. I tried a braid the first day, and it caused too much damage (and that was with a silk shirt and no safety vest). I made myself a silk satin bag that ties to my helmet:

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz338/GeoJ_photos/Hair/Helmet.jpg

This has been working really well for me. I just make a nape braid and drop it into the bag. :)

Locksmith
August 2nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
Would a hair net of some kind help? I've always just done a single English plait while riding, but my hair isn't long enough to be irritating when plaited back.

bahannas
August 2nd, 2009, 11:45 AM
I second the hair net. That's what I've always used for shows and such. They also make "bun nets" which clip to the hair below your helmet and hold your hair at your nape. I haven't used one as they are usually used in dressage/western pleasure riding and I show hunters, so I'm not sure if they pull or not. Braided pigtails are also an option. :)

Merlin
August 2nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
The girls I've seen with long hair who don't just leave it seem to opt for a hairnet with the hair 'bagged' into it rather than 'bunned' if you know what I mean.

Darkhorse1
August 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
The show bows--the barrettes with a net don't always work with really long, thick hair. The weight of the length pulls the barrette out. I know this from personal experience :)

A hair net will work, but for really long hair, I'd braid it and then net it, and use 2 nets.

Rivanariko
August 2nd, 2009, 11:57 PM
I french braid my hair every morning before I head out to the barn and usually ride 3-5 horses during the course of the day. Granted, my hair is really fine, so the french braid doesn't bulk up under the helmet too much. For schooling, I usually just leave the braid down my back. It's not ideal, but it's what I can manage day-to-day. I'm going to try to tuck the tail up under the french braid and clip it to the top of my head for a clinic I have coming up next weekend, for a neater appearance.

A lot of people that I know just twist it up, squash it on top of their heads, and then throw the helmet over that, but that can affect fit if your helmet is smaller, and is harder when you have more hair. Some of them still managed it with close to hip length hair, but I'm not sure how.

If a french braid makes your helmet fit funny, I'd recommend just trying an english braid and then tying it up into a bun at the nape of your neck, below where the helmet sits, so that you don't have to worry about the velcro on the vest. That stuff is murderous! I haven't worn a vest since I quit jumping, so I haven't had to deal with it lately... but I remember it being a hassle when I did! Just make sure that the braid-bun is low enough that it's not going to change the fit or placement of your helmet.

Feel free to PM me as well. I've been dealing with long hair and horses for quite a while!

maskedrose
August 3rd, 2009, 12:54 AM
I would second Darkhorse's folded braid. Thats what I do for the most part, and sometimes I wrap it in a silk scarf for added protection. Everything else seems to either get in the way or not hold well.

maria_asa
August 6th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I will try a french braid (my hair is very thin so it should fit under the helmet without problems) and fold up the loose part.

Merlin
August 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Based on a sighting at the horse trials we visited today..

Take your hair back and braid it quite loosely, then fold it up inside a hairnet so it forms a very loose bun - sort of halfway between a bun and a snood below the back of your helmet. It looks as though you've got LOADS of hair (well of course the girl I saw might have LOADS of hair).

I have no idea how practical it is, but the girl wearing it like that looked fab!