PDA

View Full Version : A little help?

Bereft
August 1st, 2009, 07:33 PM
A photographer friend of mine wants me to do a photo shoot with him, wherein I pose nude in an old bathtub, covered in slime. Now where as I have no problem posing nude, as long as its tasteful and artistic, I do have a a problem with what the slime is made of. It's melted down Ivory soap (I think) with water and maybe some sort of coloring. I was wondering what to do to keep my hair as protected as possible while covered in that slime, as I can forsee it being terribly drying and horrible for my hair. Thanks very much!

SimplyViki
August 1st, 2009, 07:43 PM
Hmm.... maybe ask if he minds if your hair is very "dirty" looking for the shoot, and then if he doesn't mind, slather it in tons of oil?

jahof45
August 1st, 2009, 07:50 PM
I wonder if the pre-swimming conditioner would work in this case. Little Orca, how do you protect your hair from pool water?

Bereft
August 1st, 2009, 07:56 PM
I dont think he'll mind much if it looks dirty, it'll be covered with slime, so I dont think it'll much matter if I oil it before hand.

Heavenly Locks
August 1st, 2009, 08:10 PM
I'd coat it with oil before hand and then see if he still wants more 'slime' in addition to the oil. :) Cool picture idea!

GlassEyes
August 1st, 2009, 08:12 PM
I'd slather it in conditioner, then oil above it. It'll probably be a lot for your hair, but it's going to be covered in slime anyway--WHY NOT AID IT A BIT? :D

Bereft
August 1st, 2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks for all the help you guys. I'll probably oil it heavily before I go, and then we'll go from there.

Aer
August 1st, 2009, 08:22 PM
Oil, would probably work, like a extra thick one, such as olive oil. But you could also try mayonaise, and what might be better is a butter, like cocoa, or avocado. I would pay special attention to the ends since Iv'e noticed that while I'm showering, I sometimes get body soap, usually the natural homemade variety, on the ends of my hair on accident, and then I almost immediantly notice dry or split ends due to this interaction. So I would think that Ivory soap would be even worse for it. And adding lemon grass essential oil to whatever you decide to put in your hair before the shoot, might (a little at least ) make it not seem so oily or dirty, because it encourages shine, but I'm not 100% on that. Good luck on your shoot!:hmm:

SimplyLonghair
August 1st, 2009, 08:24 PM
I think that the idea of conditioner or oil is a good one, either will help to seal the hair from the soap.

Good luck in the shoot, I think that I would also think about oiling my skin to protect it from the soap as well, but that is me. I have issues with even "pure" products. :shrug:

Honestwitness
August 1st, 2009, 08:27 PM
I'm told that in the olden days people washed their hair with body soap, before shampoo was invented. They would rinse it with vinegar to remove the soap scum. My mother said it made her hair really soft and pretty.

longhairedfairy
August 1st, 2009, 08:28 PM
I would recommend a large amount of castor/coconut oil mix. What kind of coloring is he using in the soap?

Bereft
August 1st, 2009, 08:30 PM
Aer, I would love to try using either cocoa or avacado butter to protect my hair, my problem is, I've no idea where to find it! The shoot is in less than a week, and I dont really have time to order anything from the internet. Could anyone help me and perhaps suggest a store that may carry either of them?

Bereft
August 1st, 2009, 08:31 PM
I would recommend a large amount of castor/coconut oil mix. What kind of coloring is he using in the soap?
I've got no clue, probably a small amount of food coloring to tinge it with a wee bit'o color. Not 100% on that though.

Bene
August 1st, 2009, 09:13 PM
My mom used to wash my hair with Ivory soap when I was a little kid, no conditioner either. My hair grew pretty long and healthy, but now it's a different texture and I NEED conditioner so I don't now. But if it's a one time deal, it shouldn't be a problem.

The conditioner beforehand seems like the best advise though.

SimplyLonghair
August 1st, 2009, 09:39 PM
Aer, I would love to try using either cocoa or avacado butter to protect my hair, my problem is, I've no idea where to find it! The shoot is in less than a week, and I dont really have time to order anything from the internet. Could anyone help me and perhaps suggest a store that may carry either of them?

I get cocobutter from healthfood stores if I am going to eat it, but walmart has some in the lotions aisle.

Aer
August 1st, 2009, 10:09 PM
Simplylonghair is right, you can get good stuff at the store, sometimes you can get a pure cocoa butter at a big retailer, like Walmart, it's in the lotion section, and I've found similar things in the vitamin and health sections. Health food stores are the best options of course because they offer better quality products, but the lower end stuff probably would be effective enough for what you are doing, and at a better price. You could actually use real dairy butter, I wouldn't recommend margarine. My cousin has used butter a few times when she went a week long pool party to protect her hair, she said it was a little weird feeling, and took some extra rinse and repeat action in the shower. I haven't tried it but it seemed to work for her.

Bereft
August 1st, 2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks so much for all the advice guys. I'll head over to my local Mother's Market to see if they have any cocoa butter. I'd rather use the best on my hair and spend extra money then going for the lotion-y kind. ;) If I cant find anything, then I'll use a bit of coconut oil and condish. Thanks again!!

Heidi_234
August 1st, 2009, 10:55 PM
Conditioner and/or oil before the shoot, ACV rinse and good rinsing out right after. :) Sounds like a very cool photo shoot.

Starr
August 1st, 2009, 11:22 PM
You should be able to find pure cocoa butter in the ethnic haircare section in most major retailers (walmart, target, etc.) or in a health food store and shea butter is sold locally by bath and body works or health food stores.

LittleOrca
August 1st, 2009, 11:32 PM
I wonder if the pre-swimming conditioner would work in this case. Little Orca, how do you protect your hair from pool water?

I put swimming conditioner in it before hand and braid it then swim. In this case, I vote maybe for oils or as soon as you are done with the shoot wash your hair asap. That is mainly what I do when I swim. Little protection up front, lots of washing and COing when I'm right out of the pool. :)