PDA

View Full Version : "He needs a haircut."

Speckla
August 1st, 2009, 05:35 PM
Ummm, no. Someone told us this when we were shopping today. It was someone that I knew but she repeated it about 3 times.

No, my son does not need a haircut. He was beautiful honey blondish/brownish hair and it's shiny, wavy/curly and very healthy. He needs to wear it however he likes. :rolleyes:

I'm fine with longer hair as long as it's not hanging down in his eyes.

camirra555
August 1st, 2009, 05:42 PM
That's too bad she felt the need to repeat herself over and over. It's bad enough say something negative/judgmental once about the appearance of someone else's child but more than once and she's just nagging. I personally think little boys look adorable with long hair *shrugs*

And even though I don't have kids of my own I agree with you in letting him where his hair how he wants. It is his hair after all

HairColoredHair
August 1st, 2009, 05:43 PM
"And you need you keep your opinions to yourself. :) "

simply_me
August 1st, 2009, 05:43 PM
I am amazed that felt the need to share her opinion about your son's hair in such a way. Three times??? Someone needs to relax! It sounds like your son has wonderful hair. :)

slz
August 1st, 2009, 05:54 PM
"And you need you keep your opinions to yourself. :) "

Or "and you need to lose 10 kg" or "and you need to learn how to put on make up without using a trowel" or "and you need to brush your teeth three times a day" .... or anything in the same vein that could apply to her - people ... :rolleyes: .

Speckla
August 1st, 2009, 05:56 PM
I finally said, "I'm his mother, I pay the bills, and I say he doesn't." And then I walked away.

GlassEyes
August 1st, 2009, 06:02 PM
"And since you popped him out of your uterus, you can absolutely tell him when he needs one. Not."

If I were a mom, I'd totally say that. Or a woman with a friend's kid. Or in general.

I'm a bad person.

noelgirl
August 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM
I cannot believe she felt the need to repeat herself like that! I like your response.

Addy
August 1st, 2009, 06:39 PM
I heard it for two years while ds grew his hair. Some people just never know when to keep their traps shut!

I let ds and dd do what they want with their hair as long as it's not harsh <moreso for dd>. I'm sorry someone had to be so ignorant!

smilinjenn71
August 1st, 2009, 06:40 PM
I feel your pain! Our youngest is growing his *gorgeous* blonde hair but our family gives him crap about needing it cut. Hubby and I have decided we've heard enough and will be speaking on his behalf in the future, regarding this 'issue'.

jera
August 1st, 2009, 06:43 PM
Ummm, no. Someone told us this when we were shopping today. It was someone that I knew but she repeated it about 3 times.

No, my son does not need a haircut. He was beautiful honey blondish/brownish hair and it's shiny, wavy/curly and very healthy. He needs to wear it however he likes. :rolleyes:

I'm fine with longer hair as long as it's not hanging down in his eyes.

That's both annoying and rude. It's almost an insult to you. I'm glad to hear you're able to rise above this person's negativity and allow your son to be his own person. :)

paper
August 1st, 2009, 06:44 PM
I'll never understand why people think they can tell others to cut their hair!!!

I have 3 sons. At one time or another they had long hair. I heard that "cut your hair" all the time. Even as adults people tell me to make them cut their hair LOL.

Xandergrammy
August 1st, 2009, 06:45 PM
I finally said, "I'm his mother, I pay the bills, and I say he doesn't." And then I walked away.

:joy: What a great comeback!!! :cheer:

Velvettt
August 1st, 2009, 06:45 PM
"Fine and after he gets one, we'll fix what's wrong with you, okay?"

Kristen_Marie
August 1st, 2009, 06:47 PM
Some people >.<

I don't have kids of my own, but my only rule for them would be that they keep their hair clean and healthy. I've seen a few kids that grow their hair out and either don't wash it (ew) or let it scraggle so it looks really unkempt and yucky.

Granted, I would *never* say this to a mother unless she was a friend and specifically asked for my opinion on the subject. I don't see where people get off thinking that their opinion even matters when concerning other people's kids. -_-;

Rohele
August 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM
I get this all the time with my oldest son and it irritates me. The worst offenders are my inlaws who keep telling him he looks like a girl. And he doesn't even wear it that long - he likes it kind of shaggy and just above his collar. My only criteria for my children's hair is that it be clean and combed. The style is up to them.

LisaJaney
August 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM
"I heard you the first two times. I don't agree, and I chose not to respond to your comments because I didn't want to fight. But if you persist in repeating that phrase, we're gonna."

toodramatik
August 1st, 2009, 06:50 PM
I know how you feel. My favourite little cousin, had the most beautiful shiny wavy golden hair, up to his waist. My uncles couldn't stop saying "He needs a cut, he looks gay" (Ugh stupid homophobic people -_-).

I cried when his mum cut it :(

Redheaded Raven
August 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM
Yes and I have noticed that you are not a fashion guru either....

Or Like I want to follow your fashion dictates?

I heard you the first time, I was just appalled by your rudeness," and then just walk away.

I really don't like how that everyone seems to think that their opinion really matters. You are grown and he is your son, where does she think that she comes into the equation?

I am sorry for her rudeness. :grouphug:

I have had the same happen to me all the time, about my own hair. :rolleyes:
I just am tired of it.

NiAosSi
August 1st, 2009, 07:20 PM
I like all the replies - bunch of meanies we are! Well, my MIL used to hound me about cutting my 5 year old daughter's hair. She's a girl, why the hell would I want to cut her hair. She even said to me she was close to doing it when they went out together. I flipped on her like never before. I mean the nerve of her. All she could say was, "I'm her grandmother." She just set me off even more, like what am I, chopped liver?! Needless to say, LHC is PG13 and I was R all the way...

Chrissy
August 1st, 2009, 07:26 PM
The nerve!!! But hey at least you responded in kind. I like a lot of the other replies here too.

mary1965
August 1st, 2009, 07:32 PM
It always gets me how people think boys, that are still kids, need hair cuts or are apart of this social taboo of long hair on boys.

It's actually apart of many cultures to keep a boy's hair long. In Orthodox Judaism, boys/girls don't get their first haircut until their third birthday. If you've ever seen a three year old without a haircut, that's Jewish, chances are they have a full head of beautiful curls, look like a girl, and nobody says anything.

Wicked Princess
August 1st, 2009, 08:08 PM
:shocked:

The nerve of some people! I understand that most people are firmly of the opinion that boys must have short hair...and that, I think, is tragic. But harassing you into enforcing something that is only an opinion is ridiculous! I would not have tolerated that, and you were considerably more polite than I would have been.

longhairedfairy
August 1st, 2009, 08:35 PM
:shocked:

The nerve of some people! I understand that most people are firmly of the opinion that boys must have short hair...and that, I think, is tragic. But harassing you into enforcing something that is only an opinion is ridiculous! I would not have tolerated that, and you were considerably more polite than I would have been.
Me, too.:rolleyes:

Aer
August 1st, 2009, 08:38 PM
I sympathize with you on this, since I just went through this recently myself. I have a two year old with Shirley Temple curls, thats gold blonde with red tones. I actually gave him a hair cut last night, not because of snotty comments, but because he got dreads in it, then some unknown gooey junk, and he's so tender headed that cutting it was more humane to me. It's still kind of long, so I don't feel guilty about chopping his gorgeous curls off. But I don't see why this person made those comments, because obviously she thinks boys need short hair, to look like boys not girls, which makes no sense since she can still see that he's a boy. Once some said to me, " You really need to cut his hair, it's not right for a boy to have such feminine hair", and I replied " Lady, it's not right to me that you don't". She left me alone. I actually really didn't care that she had really short hair if it made her feel better to, thats cool, I just wanted to shut her up.

Speckla
August 1st, 2009, 08:44 PM
My son is 13 and shampooes and combs his own hair so I truly do leave the length up to him. My two conditions are 1) keep it clean and 2) keep it out of your eyes. That's all. He gets his haircut about every 6 months.

I was commenting today because he had the most gorgeous spirals on his forehead. He said he needed his bangs trimmed and I offered to cut them when we got home. That's when she came up and said he needed a haircut.